• Published 13th Mar 2012
  • 897 Views, 7 Comments

Pengy's Tale - Evowizard25



Little Pengy Pie is different, but today, he's going to discover that life holds true happiness.

  • ...
 7
 897

Part 2: Flight Camp

A large, yellow, light orange maned, Pegasus stallion stood on top of a cloud. His large, muscular build made him look quite imposing, which was intended. His cutie mark was a lightning bolt striking a red dragon. Storm Cloud took in a deep breath as he surveyed the camp. He exhaled. “Don’t you just love this, my little pony? The fresh air, the calm breeze. Oh, it feels good to relax now and again.”
“Yes, daddy.” A little voice said, hiding underneath him.
Storm Cloud chuckled. He lowered his head to look at her. “Now, Fluttershy. You promised to be brave for me today.” His beloved daughter was always so shy, which he found odd. ‘Why must that mare baby her? How is she supposed to be a tough adventurer if she’s as shy as a bunny?’
“I did, daddy.” The filly hugged her father’s leg, afraid to let go. “But I don’t want to go. Can’t I just stay home with mama?”
Storm Cloud frowned. He couldn’t tell her the truth. ‘Well, I could, but she’ll kill me if I tell her…figuratively since she’s…’ “Mama…isn’t feeling so well. She needs some rest.” Fluttershy’s ears flattened against her head. Her father smiled and nuzzled. “But we’ll play a nice game of Risk when we get home. How does that sound?”
“That sounds…nice.” Fluttershy said, offering him a smile. She always loved playing board games.
“Ah, but not as nice as the first time you slay a dragon.”
“D-d-dragon.” Fluttershy stuttered.
“Oh, yes.” Storm Cloud said, nodding. “And that’s no easy feat. For dragons are huge, scaly beasts that can swallow a whole pony in one gulp.” Fluttershy started to shake in fear. “Why, a single tooth of theirs can be as long as a pony. “ He chuckled. “And their scales are quite thick. You need a rather sharp blade to cut into their hide.”
“Um, dad,” Fluttershy said. “I don’t want to talk about…”
“Of course, not many ponies get close enough to get within striking range,” He continued. “For, you see, dragons can breathe a momentous amount of fire, enough to char even the bravest of ponies.” He shook his head. “Not the best way to go. It’s quite agonizing. I can even recall my fellow’s screams as he went.” He chuckled. “Got a bit singed myself. Jolly good fun.”
“How is that…?”
“Though your mother was a bit peeved, since I ruined her hoof made scarf.” Storm Cloud shrugged. “Oh well, I couldn’t help that. That blasted dragon got the drop on me. Well, I showed him.”
“Daddy, please…”
“Did I mention there razors sharp claws? Claws sharp enough to slice a pony to ribbons.” Storm Cloud bowed his head. “Like pour, Sir Hasty.”
“You did, daddy. You go on about dragons all the time.”
“Well, I should.” He hugged his daughter close to him. “I want you to be prepared for when you take up my mantle and become and Adventurer.”
“I don’t want to…”
“And Flight Camp will help set you on that track.” Storm Cloud said. “Why, I learned all my best fighting moves during my own courses.”
“Really daddy?” Fluttershy stopped herself from shaking.
Storm Cloud nodded. “Why yes, I did. What else could I do stop those dreadful bullies.”
“Bullies?”
“Yes, the horrid lot of them.” He scowled. “Why I had to beat several of them into submission before I graduated.” He tapped his chin. “Or was I thrown out…Oh, yes. I was thrown out, but it was worth it.” He nudged Fluttershy out from under him. “Now, go out there and be the best flier you can be…And when I say that, I mean, make them eat your cloud dust.”
“But dad…”
“And do not worry about the bullies,” Storm Cloud said. “Even though they might be larger and stronger then you, even though they might try and pummel you into submission. Remember this. You are the daughter of Storm Cloud, the mightiest Adventurer of them all. You can take on anypony.”
“Daddy, I don’t wanna….”
Storm Cloud gave her a quick kiss on her forehead. “I’ll be back in an hour to check up on you.” He took off. ‘Well, that went better than expected. I’m sure she’ll get over this shyness quickly enough.’
____________________________________________________________
Pengy had never felt so nervous in his entire life. Here he was, standing in the middle of flight camp. He’d never thought he’d see this day. How was he going to fly, with his girth and tiny wings?
There were another dozen pegasi there, both fillies and colts. He recognized one of them as none other than Bruce Mane. Another colt born into a rich family. He had met him a couple of times before. He was nice. He didn’t fear him making fun of his deformities. The other pegasi…’Oh please, oh please just let it be stretches.’ He fidgeted with his tie, as he waited for class to start.
Just then, the couch, a blue mare, with a green and light green striped mane, came over to the group. Her cutie mark was a trio of what looked like white gleams of light. “Hello class.”
“Hello couch.” The group said.
“It’s good to see you all today.” She said, with a smile. “My name is Sparkling Wonders. I’ll be your flight instructor for this class.”
‘She seems nice.’ Pengy thought, trying to reassure himself that nothing bad would happen.
“Now, since this is your first class,” Sparkling Wonders started. “We will be doing to stretching exercises and talking about flight methods.” Most of the class groaned, but Pengy sighed. ‘Dodged an arrow.’
“Oh, thank goodness.” A meek voice said.
Pengy’s ears perked up when he heard her. He couldn’t put his hoof on it, but it sounded as if an angel had just spoken. He turned to his right to spy, a couple of ponies down the line, an angelic yellow mare. Her long pink hair spilled over her face, but didn’t hide her gentle smile. He couldn’t help but stare at her.
Soon enough, couch Wonders started lecturing them on the importance of stretching before flight. How it was needed, or else their wings would cramp up. The little fillies and colts then spent the next thirty minutes stretching and what not. During that whole time, Pengy’s eyes didn’t detract from the strange yellow filly. She was taller than him. Actually, she was taller than most of the ponies in class. She didn’t have her cutie mark yet, which was a relief, since neither did he. ‘So, she won’t pester me about it then.’ All the while, he tried to build up his confidence, so that he could go over to her and say…something.
“Ugh,” A rainbow maned filly groaned. “This is so boring. I’m never going to get my cutie mark by stretching all day.”
“Be patient, Rainbow Dash.” Sparkling Wonders said. “You’re supposed to take it easy during your first few classes. You can’t just rush into flight unprepared.”
“But I already can fly.” Rainbow Dash said, flapping her wings to hover above the ground. “When are you going to teach us the really cool stuff?”
“A few weeks down the line, deary.”
“But that’s like, forever.” Rainbow Dash landed.
“It seems like forever now,” Sparkling Wonders told her. “But the weeks will pass by much quicker than you realize.” Rainbow Dash frowned, to which the couch sighed. “Well, I’ll let you all have a fifteen minute break.”
“Alright!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, zooming up into the air.
Sparkling Wonders sighed and shook her head. The other pegasi took flight as well. Pengy frowned as watched as they flew around, flapping their perfect wings. He sniffled. ‘Why did I have to born with such tiny wings?’ He flapped them a couple of times, but it did nothing. ‘Look on the bright side. You get some more time to yourself.’
“Wow,” A green colt said, flying by. “I love flying. I can’t imagine not being able to fly. That must suck. Being stuck on the ground. Unable to stretch their wings. To feel the cool breeze. I just think flying is the most awesome things ever. I pity the pegasi who can’t fly, because they have such hollow lives. I LOVE FLYING!”
Another colt groaned. “We get it. You like flying. Shut up about it.”
“I’m just saying is all.” The green colt crossed his arms.
Pengy’s eyes started to water. He tried flapping his wings again. He noticed a few adults coming along the way, and two of them were his own parents. ‘Why now?’
Bruce Mane flew down towards him. “Why doncha fly with us?” He asked.
“I can’t, Mane.” He sniffled.
His mother looked over at him, worriedly. She turned to the couch. “What’s wrong with him?”
“I’m afraid it’s a combination of his short wings and heavy body.” Sparkling Wonders explained.
“Whatever.” His father growled, not even looking his way. “He’s not my fucking kid anyway.” He said the last part under his breath.
“Bruce!” Rainbow Dash called to him. “Come on. I wanna race you.”
“I’m sorry, Pengy.” Bruce said, looking sad for his friend. “I’ll be back soon enough.” He flew off.
Pengy knew it. He was leaving him. Just like everyone else. He sat there crying. His parents weren’t coming to comfort him, since they were too busy discussing something with the couch.
“Are you okay?” A soft, familiar voice said.
Pengy lifted his head up. It was then, that his gaze met hers. His heart thumped repeatedly in his chest. ‘It’s her.’ “No.”
The little filly frowned, before resting beside him. She started to hum a little tune. It was rather soothing and it seemed to lift his spirits. He wiped away the tears from his eyes and looked at her. “Oh, my mother always hummed this little tune when I got sad. I thought it would make you happy.”
“It did.” Pengy smiled, to which she smiled back. “My name’s Pengy.”
“I’m Fluttershy.” She said.
“Why aren’t you flying with the others?” Pengy asked.
Fluttershy hid behind her mane. “Because, I’m not a good flyer.”
“Me neither.” Pengy chirped happily. He never thought he’d live to see the day that he was happy to have his wings.
“Well, then we have something in common.” Fluttershy said.
“Yeah, we do.”
“I like you Pengy.” She nuzzled him. He was silent, his eyes went out wide and his mouth hung open. “Did I do something wrong?” She lowered her head. “I’m sorry.”
But everything was great. Pengy couldn’t believe it. A filly liked him. A filly liked him. This was the best day of his life. He felt like he could do anything and he knew what he had to do. He jumped to his hooves. “She’s likes me.” He giggled. “She likes me.” He jumped up and down on the cloud, until he jumped high enough, flapping his wings. He felt like he could do it. He knew he was pulling it off…Until he fell back down to the cloud’s surface.
And, for one reason or another, be it a loose cloud condensation, or Pengy was just so heavy, it gave way. Pengy fell through, leaving a hole in his way. “PENGY!” Fluttershy screamed, as she watched her friend plummet, to what looked like his certain doom.