• Published 17th Dec 2013
  • 1,909 Views, 25 Comments

Friendship is Shining: The Ticket Disaster - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



One stallion, five mares, two tickets

  • ...
2
 25
 1,909

Decisions, Decisions

With that settled, Spike and Shining Armor had continued on their way to get lunch. At one of the outdoor tables at The Clover Cafe, the pair sat. Spike was looking at the menu in his claws while Shining Armor stared off into space. The stallion's horn started to glow as he took a hold of one of the flowers in the vase in front of him.

Let's see, Shining thought, Who to take? Fluttershy would be thrilled to get to see the garden, he magically plucked a petal from the flower, but Pinkie Pie would love the actual Gala. He plucked another. Applejack would love the opportunity to help the farm and make a lot of bits. Meanwhile, Rarity wants to go because of her dream of falling in love with a prince and getting married, and Rainbow Dash wants to go because of her dream to become a Wonderbolt. He stared down at the five petals that made a circle on the tablecloth How do I decide?

"What would you like?" an accented voice said from beside.

"A mare that wants to go to The Gala to be with me," Shining responded.

"Uh, Shining?" Spike said. "He's here to take your order." He pointed at the menu he held.

"Oh." Shining turned to look at the waiter. "Spinach salad with blue cheese dressing please."

"Do you have any rubies?" the dragon asked, receiving a glare. "No? Okay. I'll have the hay fries, extra crispy."

"What do you think, Spike?"

"I think we should try another restaurant. I mean I like grass just fine, but would it hurt anybody to offer some gemstones?"

"I meant about The Gala."

"I wanted to ask you about that." Spike shifted on his bale of hay. "Why didn't you tell Rarity the truth about her... 'prince?' I mean you heard what the guards said."

"That's just it," Shining replied. "It was just some guards complaining. We don't know how true it was. Even if it was, that was a couple years ago. He might have changed since then."

The two stopped talking as their food was brought to them.

"It also doesn't mean she would no longer want to go," Shining continued. "She could still want to go to see her outfits being worn, or compare them to other fashion designs to plan for next year. Even if she did change her mind, that would still leave four others to choose from."

As Shining took his first bite, a large group of ponies ran past him and into the cafe.

"Sir," the waiter said from the doorway, "are you going to eat your food in the rain?"

"Rain?" Shining Armor looked around and found that, yes it was raining. Except right where they were sitting for some reason. There, it was nice and sunny.

"Hi there best friend forever I've ever ever had," Rainbow Dash called down from where she sat in the clouds, looking down through the opening. "Enjoying the sunny weather?"

"...Yes..." he said slowly, narrowing his eyes. "But why am I enjoying sunny weather when it seems it's supposed to be raining?"

"I just saw the smartest most generous pony about to get rained on," she answered. "So I'd thought I kick a hole in the clouds to keep him dry so he could dine in peace. That's all."

"And this has nothing to do with you trying to convince me to give you the extra Gala ticket?"

"Me? No no no, of course not."

Shining said nothing, just staring up at the pegasus at the hole in the clouds.

"Seriously," Rainbow continued. "I'd do it for anypony."

"Anypony?" Shining turned to tilt his head, watching several ponies still running to try and get out of the rain. Rainbow Dash stepped back, letting out a slight chuckle.

"Look," the stallion said as he turned his attention back to the pegasus. "I get you want to go, but I don't appreciate that you're trying to do me extra favors to try and manipulate me into deciding. So please close up that rain cloud, right now."

"Fine," Rainbow sighed. Reaching out, she grabbed one edge of the opening pulled to seal the hole in the cloud shut. With that done, Shining Armor turned his attention back to his salad.

A hard heavy rain fell from the sky, landing on Shining Armor, his salad, and Spike, who had managed to finish his fries before the hole had been closed up.

"Of course," Shining groaned. His horn started to glow as he gathered up his magical energy. The stallion then created a dome shaped shield over them to keep dry. He then looked back at his salad. The vegetables would be fine if a little wet, but the dressing was ruined.

"Shining," Rarity said from nearby with an umbrella covering her, "you're soaked." Moving close, she grabbed a hold of the stallion. "Come with me before you catch a cold."