• Published 14th Dec 2013
  • 4,863 Views, 107 Comments

What Doesn't Kill You - Excy



Spike attempts to take Rarity to dinner but declines. Spike then goes into a depression.

  • ...
23
 107
 4,863

Chapter 6

The next morning arrived quickly. Spike awoke to the smell of breakfast. He used his keen sense of smell to tell him what was cooking. He smelled crêpes and toast, eggs and cheese omeletes. He also hinted chocolate. What was this heaven he was smelling? He practically flew out of the bed he was sleeping in. He stopped for a second, trying to remember last night. He slept in Fluttershys bed. Then the rest came flooding back in. He tried to avoid it by making the bed, washing up, then going downstairs for breakfast. He walked past Fluttershy to the table. She handed him a plate with two chocolate chip crêpes, four slices of toast, two sunny-side up eggs, and one extra cheesy omelete with a nice tall glass of orange juice.

"Good morning, Spike. Did you have a good night?"
Other than when you got up to cut yourself

"It was good, other than the incident, I slept well."

"Good. Now let me see your wrists." Fluttershy said, holding her hoof out.

"Why d-"

"Spike, show me your wrists. Now." Fluttershy gritted, holding her anger.

"Fine." He lifted his sleeve and showed her.

"Hmm. Seems the same from last night. Your free to continue." She said, calming down.

Why Spike? Why would you- Her thoughts were interrupted by a hug from Spike.

"Fluttershy, thank you so much for yesterday and last night. I just needed to talk to someone. Thanks."

"You don't need to thank me Spike. I enjoy your company, and I'm just thankful I was able to get you to stop last night.
Hopefully.

"No 'Shy, You're the only person who can understand my pain. You took me in and got me away from all of my pain. Without you, I'd probably still be depressed and... dangerous to myself. That's why I want to treat you to dinner tomorrow." Spike said smiling to her.

"Ooh thank you thank you thank you so so soo much! Uh.. I..ahem. I mean, That sounds lovely." She said, retreating her head into her bangs and flying upstairs.

"Okay.." Spike said, leaving the scene. As he was making his way back to the library, he noticed it was getting late. He didn't care. He felt so secure knowing Fluttershy was there to go to whenever he needed to. He knew Twilight was gonna be worried. That's why he started to walk faster. Everything that Spike did during that walk, he couldn't get her off his mind.

She was excited when I invited her to dinner. Really excited. What if she- nah, there's no way. His thoughts came to an end when he got to the door. When he walked inside, Twilight was worried sick, as usual.

"Ooh Spike, where have you been?! You didn't come home yesterday, and I got worried. But I didn't do anything, JUST in case I was overreacting. So where were you?"

"I slept over Fluttershys cottage. I needed to vent and she was there for me. Then she invited to slee over since it was late anyway. Sorry."

"Don't be sorry, as long as you're alright. So, why WERE you upset the oher day?"

"Well..." And Spike explained it to Twilight. Everything except the cutting. That was too much for her to know. By the time he finished, it was really late. They exchanged their goodnights, and went to bed.

Spike woke up in the middle of the night and went to the bathroom. He stared at his reflection with angry eyes. He wanted to so badly. It was right in front of his face. He could do it then and there. Nobody would know. Except Fluttershy. He picked u he blade, tears in his eyes, and put it to his skin. He thought about it for a decently long time.

"No. I can't do it. I promised her." He put the blade back under the cabinet and wiped his tears.
Your worth it, Spike. She has faith in you. He looked at himself in the mirror once more, but this time, he didn't see a worthless dragon. He saw a dragon that was important to somepony. Spike went back to bed, and had a goodnights sleep.

The next day was pretty boring and uneventful. But later in the afternoon, he was getting ready for dinner. He was basically prepared. He already had the tuxedo from the night that should not be named. He had bought chocolate, he bought a Forget-Me-Not for her(it's a flower, just so you know). He had an new reservation to Canterlots Finest. He had extra bits, just in case. He was ready.

"Hey Spike, what's got you so spiffed up?" Twilight asked, peeking from the doorway.

"Oh, I'm just taking Fluttershy to dinner. It's my way of thanking her."

"Ooooh, did Spike get over Rarity?" She teased.

"Ha ha ha, very funny. No, Im just be nice."

"Okay" She said sarastically. "Hey, did you buy her chocolate and flowers?"

"Yeah, it's a surpise for Fluttershy."

"Spike, are you sure you don't like her?"

Spike blushed at the question. Wait, blushed?

"No Twilight, I don't. I'm just being friendly. Stop asking."

"Whatever you say, Spike. Have a good night."

"Thanks."

He walked out the door and made his way to the cottage.

"I don't like her. She's just a friend. Right?"

At the cottage, Rainbow Dash was helping Fluttershy get ready. Fluttershy was almost prepared. She had her Grand Galloping Gala dress on, her hair was in curls(which she could do much better than Rainbow could). She was ready. She was just waiting for Spike to come now.

"So what's Spike doing for you?"

"Oh, he's taking me to Canterlots Finest, that place he was gonna take Rarity to."

"Aw, well that's pretty sweet of him."
"I know, he's such a gentledrake. This is what makes him so great. He is just so nice and caring, Nad he's so good-looking, and he-"

"Yeah yeah he's Romeo." Rainbow interrupted, she seemsled annoyed by it, but not too much.

"Sorry Dash. Anyway, should I bring anything?"

"No way. If he's taking you, then he's gonna be the one paying for everything."

"Yeah, you're right, Dash." Fluttershy agreed. It wasn't long they had to wait for him. He knocked on the door and Rainbow hid behind the couch. When she opened it, Spike was in shock.

"Woah Fluttershy, you look-"

"Oh I knew it. This dress is horrible."Fluttershy cried out, going to fly inside and changed, but was stopped by Spike.

"No 'Shy, I love it. You look stunning. I really do love it. I... I.."Well, tell her you love her! Wait, what? No I don't! His mind was arguing with itself.

"I'm at a loss for words." Spike assured with a wide smile.

"Thank you Spike. You look very handsome yourself."

To his surpise, he blushed, which made Fluttershy giggle.

"Thanks Fluttershy."

Bwhind the couch, Rainbow Dash was laughing hard. She was in tears. Mostly from laughing, but also because of how corny and cute it was.

Should we get going?" Spike asked

"Yes, we should."

Author's Note:

Okay, this is done. Merry Early Whatever you celebrate. I hope this doesn't seem rushed, because I see it as such. I probably Where should've done two chapters? Nah.
So I was just re-reading the story, and this is actually very close to the end. The dinner isnt the last part though, i have something else planned for that...