• Published 21st Dec 2013
  • 1,892 Views, 22 Comments

Photo Shy - zyr1987



After Fluttershy quits being a model, Photo Finish realizes how big a mistake she made in working her so hard and decides to to seek her out and apologize.

  • ...
7
 22
 1,892

Opportunity

Photo Finish read the first of the two letters she received back from Fluttershy, which was the one about business. She decided the terms laid out in it were acceptable, and immediately wrote back to that effect. She then turned to the second letter from Fluttershy, the letter in response to her “secret admirer.”

It was a short letter, basically apologizing about distressing her so, and hoping to find some way to make it up to her. Photo Finish realized that this last part could be an opportunity to let her true self out, and wondered if she should dare to take it. After a moment's thought, she decided to ask for advice from the pony who sent the letter in the first place. She called, “Roxie, come see me in my office.”

Roxie came in and Photo Finish shut the door behind her. She asked, “Am I in trouble, Ms. Finish?”

“No, not at all, though if anything we say leaves zis room, you will be, are we clear?”

“Yes, ma'am. So what is this about?”

“The letter to Flootershy from a secret admirer you found on my desk a few days ago was written by me. I didn't want it sent,” Photo Finish said, her usual declarative style gone.

“I thought you said I wasn't in trouble?”

“You're not, as this provides me with an opportunity, one more personal than anything. I do need some advice from you, though. And remember, nothing we say leaves zis room.”

“I'll help however I can, and I'll keep this a secret,” Roxie said.

“Thank you. Anyway, as you have no doubt inferred, I am a fillyfooler who's still in the closet for ze most part. However, after I read Flootershy's response to my letter, I wondered if it was time to come out, and I was hoping you could advise me on zat.”

“You think Fluttershy will agree to go out on a date with you if you come out? After what happened at that last fashion show?”

“I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think it is worth a shot, especially if I can keep my identity a secret until I go to Ponyville next week. Also, you did not answer my question about whether I should come out as a fillyfooler or not,” Photo Finish said.

“Oh, yes. I think you should. Powder Rouge is already out of the closet, though she never told you because she thought you would fire her.”

“She thought I would fire her if I learned she was a fillyfooler?”

“Yes.”

“But ze rest of you knew?”

“Yes,” Roxie said.

“I see. Anyway, thank you for your advice. You may go.”

Roxie nodded and left. As soon as the door shut behind her assistant, Photo Finish began writing a letter back to Fluttershy.

Dear Fluttershy,

In your letter to me, you said you wanted to make up for the distress you caused me by quitting. While the distress you caused me wasn't horrible, I think a date would be a nice way to make up for it, if you don't mind a romantic outing with another mare. I will be in Ponyville next Friday on business, anyway, and I was hoping we could meet at a nice restaurant. Please let me know whether you want to or not.

Love,

Your Secret Admirer

She then folded it up and put it in an addressed envelope, which she put in a drawer. She would send it out in a few days to keep Fluttershy from getting suspicious about the quick response.



Four days later, two days before Photo Finish was set to arrive, Fluttershy got the second letter from her secret admirer. She read through it and wondered whether she should take up her admirer's offer for a date. On the one hoof, She didn't feel like disappointing her admirer, and said admirer would be in town anyway. Never mind that it was hard for the shy, fillyfooling pegasus to get a date anyway. On the other hoof, she was scared of making an absolute foal of herself in front of a pony who had obviously taken a great liking to her, and she was a bit scared of having a potential stalker.

After some internal debate, she decided to go through with it. She wrote back:

Dear Secret Admirer,

I'll go on a date with you, if that's what you really want. There is a small restaurant called the Chestnut Tree Cafe, near the train station. They make the best tomato tulip soup in Ponyville. If it's okay with you, can you meet me there at six on Friday? I will try to sit at table four.

Signed,

Fluttershy

Author's Note:

You know, I forget how complex I intended this idea to be, originally. Now, regardless, it's ending up rather simple and straightforward, probably in part because the two major characters, Fluttershy and Photo Finish, are communicating solely by letter and that's not something I think needs to come with large amounts of elaboration (though I could go into their emotions and thought processes more than I am, or talk more about other things in their lives, but I can't think of anything interesting to addthere). Anyway there's only one chapter to go, and it's also going to be rather straightforward, so I'm afraid this first (and only?) Fluttershy x Photo Finish story will be finished relatively soon (though I will be starting a proper Fluttershy x Celestia fic in its wake. Never read stories about that pairing as all I can find for it is clop, not romance, and I already have a basic plot outline in my head that I feel makes sense with both of their personalities).

Also, I admit I meant to publish this on Sunday, but I forgot all about it until last night. Yep, I'm ashamed.

And don't worry, anyone who gets the reference with the name of the restaurant Fluttershy suggested (or googled it), it's just a shout-out I felt like making, not foreshadowing of anything.