• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 2,852 Views, 74 Comments

The Fears of Yesterday - SolidFire



Scootaloo learns about a part of her past that she never knew existed (Sequel to Family Mares)

  • ...
6
 74
 2,852

It's Not Over

It's Not Over

Jade stepped inside the small, abandoned house he and Steel had been living in for the last few months. It was located in the outskirts of Manehatten. He knew it would be next to impossible for him to put his life back together now. He had met a pony skilled at making wanted ponies disappear. Unfortunately for Jade that service had a price. It wasn't a cheap one either. However, he did know a way to get that money. It would be a desperate measure, but it had to be done.

He had to finish what he started with Aerial's death. If he finished off the rest of Scootaloo's adoptive family, he could easily remove the the bits they kept in the lockbox at their home. He knew it would be faster to go after their unicorn friend, Twilight, but she was far too powerful for him to sneak up on. To top it off, she had that bucking farmer stallion of hers keeping a watch of anything valuable she kept in the library while she was teaching in Canterlot. Who knew being a magic professor paid so well? Apparently when you have a close friendship with Princess Celestia you received some advantages. And what did he get? What was provided for the struggling average Joe pegasus trying to raise a young colt without help from a wife? Nothing. So he had done some unsavory deeds in his time, those could be forgiven. Oh well, it didn't matter. Jade knew what he had to do.

As Jade planned his theft, he decided to try to avoid killing anypony if he could. He'd bring a weapon just in case, but if he could avoid a fight and just rob them blind he would be far less likely to be caught. Then he could create new lives for himself and Steel. That's all he wanted. To put this mess behind him.

"Steel?"

"Yes Daddy?"

"I have some work left to do in Ponyville tomorrow. You want to come with me?"

"YAY! I get to take a trip with Daddy!" Jade chuckled and ruffled his mane.

"Yes you do son. Yes you do. But we have to leave really early tomorrow to do it, so go get some sleep."

"Okay Daddy, I love you!"

"I love you too son." Steel raced to his 'bedroom'. Soon Jade would be taking Steel to live in Cloudsdale to live under a new identity.


Scootaloo and Lightning rolled over laughing. It was Spitfire's birthday that day and they decided it was as good a time as any to get payback. It was a shame to see the cake Pinkie had made for the occasion explode, but it was worth it. At Scootaloo's request, Pinkie had hid a string of firecrackers - just like the ones Spitfire and Rainbow used to scare Scootaloo and Lightning - into the cake. She had managed to plant the explosives after the cake was baked and covered it with frosting to hide the evidence. As soon as the reigniting candles were lit it was only a matter of time before the cake exploded, leaving Rainbow and Spitfire covered in frosting and fluffy cake. Rainbow licked her lips.

"Still tastes pretty good." She dove into the remains of the cake. Spitfire joined her, but not before leaving Scootaloo with a response to her prank.

"It is on little filly. It is on." It wasn't long before Scootaloo and Lightning joined in licking up the remains of the cake. Lightning stole a quick kiss from Scootaloo and quickly received Spitfire's hoof on the top of his head. Everypony laughed. Pinkie Pie was of course throwing Spitfire a party at Sugarcube Corner for her that night, but the four of them liked to have a private party on each of their birthdays before they expended their energy with Pinkie Pie and the rest of their friends. They liked the family moments they were able to share. With the amount of time Lightning spent at their house, he was considered family just as much as Scootaloo. The four ponies eventually gathered around the kitchen sink to clean themselves off. As they dove off the front porch and headed for Sugarcube Corner, they really felt like family to each other.


Pinkie's party had left everypony involved exhausted by some means. Rainbow and Spitfire had eaten far too much cake for their own good, and Lightning's hooves were sore from the amount of dancing he did with Scootaloo. He was an airborne athlete, not a dancer, and it showed. Scootaloo's hooves were sore from the vast number of times her less than graceful coltfriend stepped on them, and her neck was a little sore from headbanging. She had somehow managed a fifteen minute guitar mindrape for her mother. She wasn't alone on stage. She was backed by none other than the famous DJ-PON3. The mixed sounds of bass-laden techno beats and screaming guitar riffs sounded amazing together. Spitfire couldn't have been more pleased with her daughter's birthday gift. As the adults stepped into the house, they were too tired to even object to Scootaloo kissing Lightning goodbye. Spitfire's mom sense didn't even tingle as she dragged herself through the door of their home. Rainbow and Scootaloo slowly followed suit. It wasn't long before everypony in the house was asleep.


The next morning, nopony wanted to get out of bed, but everypony had to. Scootaloo had to get up for school and Rainbow and Spitfire had a snowstorm to prepare. As the family groggily went about their business, Lightning walked in the door.

"I think Pinkie put something in that punch... my head is killing me," he groaned. "Not to mention the sun feels a little harder on the eyes this morning."

"Don't talk so loud Lightning." Rainbow held a hoof to her skull.

"Rainbow, for somepony so experienced at being active late into the night you really don't handle Pinkie's parties too well, do you?" Scootaloo was eager to tease her ma.

"I think she probably gave herself a concussion from headbanging so much to your bit with DJ-PON3," Spitfire said. "I think I did the same..."

"Then what did I do to deserve this?" Lightning asked.

"Not sure, but you definitely didn't learn to dance. We're gonna have to work on that." Scootaloo wanted to make sure he knew her hooves still weren't feeling pleasant.

"Sorry Scoot. Never had a marefriend interested in dancing before."

"I know. All any of your other marefriends cared about was testing the wing theory."

"Oh and you're much different?" Spitfire asked condescendingly. Scootaloo blushed.

"What's going on?" Lightning asked.

"I may have... umm... taken a peek when you were flying away... once... out of... curiosity..." Lightning gave a devious grin.

"Like what you see?" Scootaloo's face flared red and both Rainbow and Spitfire descended on Lightning, now fully awake.

"Remember what we told you kid," Spitfire said coldly.

"Just because we like you doesn't mean we won't castrate you if you try something," Rainbow added. Lightning swallowed.

"I meant nothing by it. Just a joke, I swear. I was teasing her like you two always do." The two mares glared at him. "It's not my fault she's adorable when she blushes!" They closed in on him.

"Try anything Lightning... and we WILL make the soup." Lightning swallowed. Scootaloo was utterly confused.

"Soup? Somepony is gonna have to explain this to me."

"I don't wanna talk about it." There was nothing more that Lightning could say. Rainbow gave a demonic smile.

"Then you DEFINITELY don't want to experience it."

"Could you please stop scaring my coltfriend? And would somepony tell me what the deal is with the soup?" Lightning scurried toward the door.

"Have a good day at school Lightning! And keep it between YOUR hind legs!" Spitfire called.

"I don't know Spitty, that soup is pretty good..." Rainbow licked her lips. Lightning dove off the porch. Scootaloo turned to face her parents.

"You're going to explain what you just did when I get home today."

"Sure thing Scoot. Have a good one." Rainbow hugged Scootaloo. Scootaloo then hugged Spitfire and dove off after her coltfriend. Spitfire twitched.

"She tested the wing theory again, didn't she?" Rainbow asked.

"Fortunately this time it was an accidental glimpse."

"I want your power."

“I'll teach you sometime. Right now we have to go to work." The two mares kissed and walked outside. Spitfire had begun locking the door since Jade's break in. If having more security could save the lives of loved ones she was going to get paranoid. Especially when she had a daughter to be concerned for. The two mares flew off in the direction of the Everfree forest. The snowstorm was being made there to avoid it striking Ponyville early.

When Scootaloo and Lightning were half way to school, Scootaloo realized she had left her saddlebags at home. She cursed quietly to herself.

"Hey Lightning, I left my saddlebags at home. I'll meet you at school."

"You want me to come with you?"

"I'll be fine. Love you Lightning."

"Love you too Scoot." Scootaloo kissed Lightning and flew back home. She was surprised to see that the door was unlocked. I guess Mom and Ma didn't leave yet, she thought to herself. She pushed open the door. When she stepped inside she wished Lightning had come with her. In the center of the room was Jade. In the crook of his hoof was a knife. The same one that killed her mother.

"I was really hoping I wouldn't have to make any more of a mess of things. Well Scootaloo, you always had a way of ruining things for me." As Jade finished his sentence, he lunged at Scootaloo.

Author's Note:

Disclaimer again, I don't take credit for this story, as it is an approved re-post from the original author, coupled with the permission of the site's staff. I got a bunch done this past twenty-four hours, so expect a bunch of chapters today as my gift to all you followers and the fans of the original author of these stories.