• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 887 Views, 9 Comments

Here come the elephants - Centurion9289



Princess Celestia calls upon Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends for an important mission. Something big is coming to Equestria. And if they are to have any chance, they will need the only one who has any knowledge of what they will face.

  • ...
0
 9
 887

Prologue

Far past the southern borders of Equestria in the Badlands stands the Royal Guard Watchtower. As in many locations outside of Equestrian territory, the sole purpose of Royal Guards of the Watchtowers is to patrol the area and keep an eye out for ponies in need, for suspicious activity, and to watch for any invading enemies. Considering the Changeling Attack on Canterlot and word of the Everfree Forest Invasion on Ponyville, there was plenty of reason for the soldiers of the Princesses to stay on high alert and to be ready for any enemy. But this day has been a long one, and even loyal soldiers need rest every now and then.

On this particular night, there are five Royal Guards posted at this Watchtower. Two pegasi, two unicorn, and one earth pony. All are wearing the shining golden armor worn by many of their comrades. The pegasi have white coats and blue-colored manes and tails, the unicorns are grey with white manes and tails, nothing out of the ordinary. The earth pony however is quite different from the rest. His fur is a tannish brown, his eyes are gold-yellow, and his helmet plume is red. His armor is shining silver and he also wears a small crimson cloak over him. In one hoof he holds not a spear but a long halberd with a small red flag bearing the cutie mark of Princess Celestia. He stands inside the top of the Watchtower looking outside the window. He pulls up a spyglass and looks around at the landscapes. In his sights sees Timber Wolf Territory, the Ursa Major Caverns, and the mountains further south. Standing out from the rocks he sees what looks like a pony’s head. With an air of nobility and awe, the Knight's Peak looks as though it was carved out of the mountains themselves. The sound of hoof steps echo loudly as the two unicorn guards approach the earth pony. He turns his head just in time to see them come to a stop and salute him.

“Sentinel Alaris, we have just returned from our patrol and there is no sign of suspicious activity.”

The earth pony turns around and sets down his spyglass on a small table and nods in approval.

“Very good. Any word from the pegasi?”
“Not yet, they are on their way back now.”
“Very well. Carry on.”

The unicorns salute and turn to continue their patrol. Sentinel Alaris turns around and looks up at the sky to see two armored pegasi on their way back to the tower. A small smile forms on his face and he reaches for the spyglass when suddenly everything seems to be shaking. The spyglass shakes and rolls off the table and soon the whole tower seems to be shaking. Alaris and his soldiers look around in confusion. Earthquakes do not happen in Equestria without some kind of outside cause. Alaris does the only thing he can think of and calls to his comrades.

“Brace yourselves!”

They each pin themselves onto the wall in hopes of getting good footing. Alaris however loses his balance and trips on his spyglass sending him toward the window. Disoriented and unable to react he is unable to stop himself from falling out of the tower. His comrades cry out to him as they see him disappear.

“ALARIS!!!”

As his helmet flies off his head, Alaris screams falling down to his doom. But he never hits the ground. Just in time, the two pegasi guards Alaris had spotted arrived just in time to save him. He looks up at them with relief in his face. Then he turns to look at the tower as it continues to shake intensely. He sees a flash of light as the two unicorn soldiers teleport themselves out of the tower and out onto more open ground. They look around frantically for their superior’s body. Once they see his helmet, their faces become grim and they fear the worst. But Alaris calls out to them and they look up and relief washes over their faces. Alaris looks on to see the ground, the forests, and even the mountains shaking intensely.

“What in the name of Equestria is going on?”


One of the pegasi holding Alaris turned his head toward a particular spot in the forest not far from the Watchtower.

“I’m not sure sir, but whatever is causing this seems to be coming from the forest.”

Alaris turns and sees that indeed the forest seemed to be shaking with great ferocity as though something were ready to burst from it.

“What are your orders, sir?”

Alaris furrows his brows as though he is ready for battle.

“Take me down, and bring me my helmet.”

The pegasi bring Alaris down and soon the unicorn soldiers join his side bringing with them his helmet and halberd. Alaris takes his helmet, places it on his head, grabs hold of his halberd and points it toward the forest. The unicorn soldiers hold their spears ready and their horns glow in anticipation. The pegasi hover above them ready to support their colleagues from the air. The forest then seems to shake even harder and whatever is making them move is heading closer towards the location of the guards. Alaris yells back to his soldiers.

“Steady!!! Steady!!!”
The shaking grows even louder and birds fly out from the trees. Then finally something comes bursting out of the forest and it is not at all what the Royal Guard had expected.





A zebra.




This particular zebra was running frantically for his life as though something was chasing him. His head was turned looking back behind him. As he turns his head forwards he realizes he is running straight towards the weapons of the fully armed Royal Guards of Equestria. His eyes widen and he comes to a sudden and rough stop stumbling and rolling into the ground right at the feet of Alaris. He looks up in fear as he sees weapons pointed at him and he pulls up his front hooves shielding himself.

“P-please, I understand you are in a state of alarm but I do not wish you any harm!”

Alaris quickly analyzes this zebra now that he had a better look at him. He has a spiky and messy-looking mohawk, his eyes are emerald green, around his neck are colorful beads of orange, blue, and red. Around his right forelimb is a bamboo band with red feathers attached to it. His cutie mark is covered by saddlebags filled with what appears to be maps, bottles, pots, and pans. His stripes are a dark shade of gray and his tail is as messy as his mane. The zebra himself is not of a great stature but was most certainly no young colt. He seems to have the average build of a pony stallion. Alaris then realizes that the ground and forest ceased shaking as suddenly as it had happened. The guards look around in confusion. Then they all turn and look down at the shivering zebra. They were not about to believe that he was the cause of all this commotion. Alaris pulls back his halberd and lowers his head to the zebra glaring into his eyes.

“Who are you, what are you doing here, and what is going on?”

The zebra looks up nervously at Alaris. Then his eyes begin to shift around, his head desperate to turn around and look back at the forest.

“Do not waste your time with me! Please, you must hurry and flee!”

Suddenly the ground shakes once more but not with the same intensity as before. This time the ground shook as though something heavy was moving and a low but loud growl rumbled in the air. And to the surprise and fear of Alaris and his guards, it was to their side. Slowly a large shadow had engulfed the ponies and zebra on the ground. The guards turned to see what it was that had approached them and their eyes widened and their jaws were about ready to fall off their faces. The zebra shook with eyes as big as dish pans and gasped frantically as he sped off away from the guard. The Royal Guard themselves are frightened at this foe they had only heard of in legends and stories from foalhood. But before them is indeed the very creature they recalled from forgotten histories. Alaris gasps deeply as his eyes reflect the beast rising with a terrifying and loud trumpeting roar that had not been heard by anypony for hundreds of years.

Author's Note:

Well, I figured why not give this a shot. Perhaps if enough people like it, I might continue it. I think it would be an interesting idea. Just imagine! Elephants in My Little Pony! And considering that they are among the most intelligent and emotional mammals in the world, it is easy to consider that elephants in Equestria would also be sentient beings much like the ponies, griffins, changelings, and zebras. Their existence is even hinted at in the My Little Pony comics. But it makes one wonder, what would they be like? Are they performers of a traveling and forgotten circus? Are they fierce and mighty beasts of a warrior nation? Just wait and see!

And in case you are wondering, this is set in the fourth season but it will not have anything to do with the mysterious chest or the keys.