• Published 10th Mar 2012
  • 596 Views, 3 Comments

Chronicles of Swift Wing - Cinor



A young filly learns the meaning of friendship.

  • ...
 3
 596

Under My Wing pt. 2

Swift Wing
In:
Under My Wing pt. 2

I had just gotten into the warm bath water when there was a knock at the door. I wasn’t getting out, no way. I soaked my hair, laying the back of my head against the tub. It felt good. Another knock.

“For God’s sake! I just got in here!” I screamed out. I grabbed some of the soap and went to work on my skin. The knocking continued, harder this time. “Wait your turn. I paid good money for this.” I had enough ‘real’ money to pay for the night. I still had those ‘bits’ from Ponyland. I had also gotten myself two brand new daggers. It was turning into a good night except for that knocking. The knocking came, rattling the room. I grabbed for a dagger in my belt and hid it under the water. The door burst open. Thankfully the water had enough bubbles for decency.

“Swift Wing, you’ve got a price on your head,” said the bearded man now standing in the room. He slammed the door after himself.

“Oh, uh, no I’m not. That’s my twin you see.” I let out an awkward smile.

“No, it’s you, I know it. I’m gonna kill ya’ and get that reward,” he said as he licked his lips. He had a small sword tucked into his belt.

“Surely you won’t fight a lady when she’s naked?”

“That’s not what I do ta’ wimmin’ when they’re naked.” He lunged for me in the bath water. He screamed in pain. One of his hands didn’t come out. I jumped from the bathtub and readied the dagger. He was clutching the stump that used to hold his hand. I jabbed the dagger to his heart. I felt the muscle tear from the blade. He fell backwards, bleeding profusely. I looked at the bath water; it was miraculously free of blood. Slowly I got back in, it was still warm. I grabbed for the soap to finish what I started when more knocking came to the door. I let out a heavy sigh.

“Is anyone in here?” came a scruffy old voice. It was Zorander! I curled up uselessly in the bath. The doorknob jiggled and the door pushed open. Our eyes met. “You!” he shouted. I had no words for him. “What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I’m taking a bath…” I said. I motioned to the bathing tools around me.

“Not what I meant,” he choked though gritted teeth. “You should be dead!”

“Well, I’m not,” I said. “Can I take my bath in peace?” He looked to the dead man in the corner.

“I see that you can’t.”

It was my turn to ask questions, “What are you doing here?”

“We are transporting valuable magic items. You’d better not try anything. You’re lucky you’re still alive.” I rolled my eyes. This guy was full of hot air.“Are you almost done here?”

“Are you kidding me?” He held up an hourglass. “Get out of here!” He grunted and left. The water was getting cold and I wasn’t very happy, but he’d given me a great idea. Perhaps that brooch was in that caravan. I could use it to get back to Ponyland, get in close with the princess. Then I could steal the Elements!

I got out of the tepid bathwater and dried off. I had some clothes I bought while my leathers got cleaned. I fit the belt snugly around my waist. I donned the crown. It was safe to wear it in town now. Now that there was a guarded caravan, people wouldn’t be so quick to attack. As I walked down the hall to my room I saw the wizard. We glared at each other. I closed the door to my room and locked it. It was getting dark out and that meant it would have to hit the caravan. I sighed. This was going to be a very long day.

I spent the next few hours organizing my belt. It’s definitely a boring task but it has to be done. How else can I know that I’m going to become broke buying all the things I’ve used? It was tough, but you had to do it to be a thief. I even found a spare bundle of throwing knives, cool. It was half empty, but whatever. I got off the bed and made my way to the window. It overlooked the main street. Now where could that caravan be? I looked up and down the street. To my luck, there were two guards standing at the front of the alley next to the inn.

“Heehee,” I giggled with glee. I tightened my belt and grabbed onto the roof of the inn. I pulled myself up and stood up. I walked over so I could see the alley that the guards blocked. It held a small carriage. Only two guards? Cake walk. They weren’t even looking back at the carriage. I stealthily dropped onto the carriage, and then I dropped onto the ground. There was the soft pat as my feet hit the dirt. The guards paid no mind.

My attention turned to the carriage door. Lock picks soon found their way into the lock. This lock is easy. It’s like they’re asking for it to be stolen . The door opened silently, the hinges being well taken care of. I crept inside. I lit a match to get a better view of the inside. It was mostly junk and… my brooch! I nearly squealed. I grabbed it and ducked out of the carriage. The guards still hadn’t seen me. I got back on carriage and then the roof. After I swung back into my room I closed the window. Leaping back on the bed I held the brooch to my chest. It was time to make my money back! I slipped its chain around my neck. I could feel the warmth, it was magical…


I was back in Celestia’s throne room. The princesses where looking at me with concern.

“Are you okay?” asked Luna.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Why?” I asked.

“Well, you were just complaining about being in pain. Are you okay now?” asked Celestia.

“Yeah, I guess it was just a bit of magic.” The two became less concerned.

“Yes, that must be it,” said Luna. I looked down at my body. I was wearing my leather again. I felt a strange weight on my chest and neck. It must be the brooch. Maybe I should ask the princesses about it.

“Excuse me, Celestia and Luna; can you look at this necklace for me?” I held up the necklace. Celestia levitated it over to her. She and Luna looked it over.

“It appears to be a simple necklace,” she remarked.

“No teleportation spell or anything?” She shook her head. “Is there any magical effects on me?” I asked hopefully. Her horn glowed and I felt her magic touch me. It felt different than any magic I had felt before.

“No, you are clean of magic. A few things on your belt have slight magic,” she said. “Now that all this foolishness is out of the way, it’s time to get back to my question. Swift Wing, will you study the magic of friendship?” This was my chance, my chance to get in good with the princesses. One day they will see me as a friend and then I will swoop in and grab the elements. It was a perfect plan.

“I-I don’t know how… what do I do?” I asked.

“Well,” explained Celestia, she had a very motherly voice, “every week, or whenever you feel you’ve learned a valuable lesson, you’ll send me a letter detailing what you’ve learned.” That sounded easy enough.

“I guess that sounds alright. How hard can it be?” I said.

“You will live in the city of Manehattan. Luna can live with you for a week to acclimate you to Equestrian standards if you wish.”

“Yeah, that sounds good.” I wondered about the difference between my and ‘Equestrian’ standards. I’m sure it’s nothing.



The apartment was small. It was a four room affair: a kitchen, a bedroom, a bathroom, and a living room. There was only one bed in the bedroom. Where was Luna going to sleep? Luna and I were standing in the living room. She directed the ponies moving in modest furniture.

“So, what do you think, Swift?” Luna asked.

“I think it’s a nice place. Seems kind of lonely though,” I said.

“It’s easy to make friends,” Luna said. “You’ve just have to put yourself out there.” As if on cue, there was a knock on the door. I trotted over and opened it. A very excited pegasus filly stood there. Stood there isn’t quite the way to describe it. She was bouncing up and down.

“Hello!” she exclaimed, “my name is Butterscotch. What’s your name?” Her coat was pink; her heavily stylized mane was yellow. It was silly to look at, but I had seen weirder here.

“Hello Butterscotch. I’m Swift Wing. What are you doing here?” I asked.

“Weeellll, I saw you moving in and I thought you looked a little lonely. So I, being the next door neighbor, decided that you and I should be friends!” I glanced back at Luna; she was giving me encouraging looks.

“Sure thing, Butter. It’s okay if I call you that right?” She nodded. “Soooo, you live next door?”

“Yup! I’m so excited that you’re moving in! Do you want to go to dinner tonight? My treat!” Her wings were flapping slightly.

“Oh, uh, sure thing. I’ve got to finish moving in first,” I tried to explain. She put a hoof to my muzzle. She leapt over me and started to look around the room in awe. I noticed Luna was gone. I wished she was here.

“What’s this?” Butter asked. She had gotten her head in a box. To be honest, I wasn’t sure what everything was myself. I knew I didn’t have this many things. She pulled her head back. She had an eggbeater clasped in her jaws.

“I guess its cooking utensils.” Butter was already looking around the bedroom. “Hey, don’t go in there,” I told her. She looked at me with hurt eyes.

“Why?” she asked. It sounded like she was going to cry.

“I… never mind. It’s just a bit dirty,” I said.

“It’s not that dirty! Let me help you put your things away.”

It took four hours to put away everything, even with Butter’s help. She had taken up her offer to buy dinner. We were in a small, cozy restaurant. The waiter was very nice.

“So, what are you getting?” asked Butter. I looked at the menu. It all looked so… vegetarian.

“I guess the apple crepes sound good,” I admitted. Do they not have beef here?

“That does sound good.” There was a long pause, which was unnatural with Butter around. “So, what brings you to Manehattan?”

“I’m here to study,” I told her. I wondered if I should tell her what I’m studying.

“That’s so cool! All I’m doing right now is washing dishes.” She looked away, she was frowning. “But it’s alright.” That was sad, she needs a happier job.

“Well, what do you want to do?” I asked.

“I’ve always wanted to be a teacher… for little fillies and colts.” She was smiling, blushing a little too.

“Why don’t you do that?”

“I’m just not smart enough,” she said bleakly. I could feel my heart hurting for her. Nothing I’d seen of her made her seem stupid. “Oh, I shouldn’t have brought that up when I just met you. I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s okay.” I didn’t want her to feel bad. The waiter came and took our order. I decided to get a bottle of wine. We might need it. Butter’s eyes looked teary. Please don’t cry.

Thankfully the wine calmed her down. The rest of dinner went uneventfully. Butter did pay for dinner but I insisted on paying for the wine. It wasn’t cheap. We walked out onto the sidewalk. Ponies walked to and fro around us. Butter stretched her wings out.

“What are you doing?” I asked. She gave me a funny look
.

“Uh, flying. It’s faster than walking through this crowd. Come on, follow me.” I didn’t know how fly. She hovered a few feet in the air, watching me standing around. “Are you coming?” I waved her closer. She landed and put her ear to my face.

“I can’t fly,” I whispered. She looked taken aback.

“What? How can you not fly? Every pegasus can fly!” I tried to shush her but it was no use.

“I’m not sure. I just never learned.” She put a hoof on my shoulder.

“It’s not hard,” she said,” You just have to keep flapping your wings.” She began flapping her wings and rose into the air. That doesn’t look too hard . I spread my wings out. It felt weird moving them. I hadn’t used them very much at all. Tentatively, I flapped them. Nothing happened.

“You have to do it more, and faster,” Butter said. Again my wings flapped, harder and harder. I felt the ground move away. I looked down; I was few feet in the air.

“Look at me! I’m doing it! I’m flying!” I maneuvered forward and back. Butter was cheering me on.

“Congratulation, Swift. Now let’s try going somewhere!” Butter started to fly down the street. I managed to follow, but barely.

I collapsed onto the floor of the apartment panting. Luna was sitting in an armchair. She casually sipped coffee.

“Rough night?” she asked.

“I learned how to fly,” I said between ragged breaths. She used her magic to lay me down on the couch. It was really comfortable.

“That’s good news,” she remarked. I thought back to Butterscotch.

“Luna, can I ask you a favor?”

“I suppose so.”

“It’s about Butter, uh, Butterscotch,” she smirked at the use of a nickname, “she told me she wanted to be a teacher. Is there anything you can do to help?”

“I’m not sure, Swift.”

“Please, Luna? She wants so badly to teach, but they told her she’s not smart enough…”

“I will see what I can do.” She went back to sipping the coffee. She was smiling.

“What are you so happy about?” I asked her.

“It appears that you’ve got your very first friend. Perhaps it’s time to write a report.” I suppose it was time. Luna used her magic to make a quill and parchment appear in front of me. I grabbed the quill.

“So I just write what I learned?” I asked. Luna nodded. “What if it’s wrong?” She shrugged. I began to write.

Dear princess Celestia,

Today I learned something valuable. You should always try your hardest to help your friend, even if you just met her.

Swift Wing

I dropped the quill. Luna rolled up the letter and disappeared.

“Where’d you go?” I asked. There was a knock at the door. I trotted over and answered it. Butterscotch was on the other side sobbing. “Come in, Butter,” I said. I lead her to the couch and sat next to her, holding her. It seemed like the right thing to do.

“Oh gosh, Swift,” Butter began, she was drunk, “I’m so scared.”

“Scared of what?” I asked.

“That… that I’ll never ge- get to be a teacher. A-And I really w-want to be a teacher.” She leaned into me, knocking me down. She was crying softly now. I wrapped her in my wings, trying to calm her down. Being under my wings seemed to calm her down.

“Shh, it’s okay.” I felt her body shiver against mine. She was nuzzling me drunkenly. This might not be so good Her muzzle was getting awfully close to mine. Finally it kissed mine. I tried to pry her off, but she was holding on to me tightly. She was ignorant to my struggle; she let out a small purr.

I tried to speak, but it was muffled as she kept her lips to mine. Oh god, I want Luna to be here. I didn’t think this was what friendship was about.

After about five minutes of struggling, Butter let me up.

“Let’s go back to the bedroom, baby,” she said. She was teetering on her hooves. Butter tried to saunter to the bedroom. I led her to the bed out of pity.

“You’re drunk,” I said to her face. I had to dodge a kiss from her.

“An’ yur’ my firs’ friend.” Oh God, she was as lonely as I was. She was pretty, but, she was drunk! Butter started to kiss my chest. It felt strangely good.

“Are you sure about this?” I asked. She was too enthused to pay me much mind. I joined her under the covers.



I awoke to Butterscotch freaking out in my bed.

“Oh gosh, what am I doing here?” she asked. Her limbs were moving frantically.

“Don’t you remember anything?” I asked.

“Noooo!” She leapt from the bed and paced the room. “W-we didn’t do anything right?”

“Why?”

Butter gasped, “Don’t you know mares are supposed to be with stallions?? That’s the way nature intended!” I bit my lip. Now she could never know.

“No, of course not,” I assured her, “You came over last night and we talked. It didn’t feel right making you sleep on the couch.” And the best lie award goes to

Butter breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank Celestia! That would’ve been awkward.”

“Heh, yeah, awkward.” It sure was now.

“Any plans for today?” Butter asked.

“No, not really,” I said.

“Well, I have to work at noon until late,” she frowned as she said this. She must not like her job at all. I hoped Luna could do something for her. “But I could make you breakfast.”

“Breakfast, that’d be great. I’m starving,” I told her truthfully. I’d had quite the workout recently. Butter bounded off to her room, I followed suit. Her apartment was littered with books for children. Books of nursery rhymes, short stories, and teaching manuals. While Butter was in the kitchen I flipped through some of the manuals, they looked heavily read. I put the book back where it I found it. I walked into the kitchen. Butter was frying eggs and making toast.

“I hope you like eggs,” she said. I did like eggs. I found my gaze drifting to her flank. My attention snapped back when she coughed.

“What?” I asked.

“I asked if you wanted orange juice.” I hoped she hadn’t seen my staring.

“Yes, sure.” I noticed she hadn’t brushed her mane. It was disheveled. I wonder how I look. I thought about using her bathroom but it was too late. Butter dropped a plate and a glass in front of me. Eggs, toast, and orange juice, first food I recognized here. I ate it without many manners. Butter laughed. She had a nice laugh.

No, I can’t think this way about my first friend. It wouldn’t be right. I gave her a small smile. She returned it with a big grin. This is awkward.

“Do you have any plans today, Swift?” I shook my head. “Well, there’s a cool library group that meets around noon. I used to go until I got this job…” She frowned.

“Yeah, that sounds… cool,” I lied. What could be worse than a bunch of nerds?



Nothing. Nothing could be worse than a bunch of nerds. I had arrived and they were surprised to see a mare in their midst. They have given hurried awkward introductions and then went into talking about comics or something.

“I like SuperStallion apprehended Black Cat,” said Two Bit.

“Black Cat’s too good a thief to get caught by SuperStallion!” exclaimed Wattson. They were talking about thieves? I had to hear this.

“Oh yeah? Black Cat sucks!” said Sheldon. I had zoned out for most of it.

“Who’s Black Cat?” I got incredulous looks.

“You don’t know?” asked Sheldon.

“I don’t read comics,” I admitted. They gasped.

“Well,” said Wattson as he adjusted his glasses, “Black Cat is a seasoned thief. Her first appearance was in SuperStallion series 2, volume 114.”

“Yeah,” chimed in Two Bit, “but she can’t steal anything! Women are not suitable to, uh…” He trailed off. I guess he forgot who he was talking to.

“That sounds… cool.” It didn’t sound all that cool.

“I know,” said Wattson, “Most of the time she tries to steal just whatever. But this time she tried to go for the Elements of Harmony. Sadly SuperStallion got her.”

“That’s too bad,” I said.

“Do you want to borrow the comics? I’ve read them all,” asked Wattson. Two Bit gave Sheldon a wink and a nudge. They both erupted into fits of giggles. Wattson blushed heavily. I realized what they were talking about. I blushed too. He needs some help.

“That’s very nice of you, Wattson.” I nuzzled his cheek for a second. He nearly collapsed. The other two were shocked
.

“I can bring them all by tomorrow,” he said. He was hot around the ears.

“Sure, that sounds great.”

“Oh no, look at the time! We’re going to be late to the opening of Lord of the Horseshoes!” exclaimed Sheldon.

“What’s that?” I asked. Another round of incredulous looks directed at me.

“It’s only the greatest series ever written,” explained Two Bit.

“Do you want to come with us?” asked Wattson. Perhaps it would be good for me to watch this movie. I wasn’t sure.

“I guess that sounds alright.”



The movie was awesome. I’d never seen anything like it from where I was from. Actually, if you took out the ponies, it was somewhat similar. I’d never seen moving pictures on such a grand scale. We walked out of the theatre last. The boys had wanted to watch all of the credits. None of the names meant anything to me, but whatever.

“How did you like it, Swift?” asked Sheldon.

“I thought it was pretty cool,” I said. They descended into a debate over which parts were book accurate. I looked into the sky, wondering if Butter would be back soon. Somepony was nudging me.

“Huh?” I asked.

“I asked if you wanted to join us for drinks,” said Wattson. Drinks sounded good.

“Sure thing.” Two Bit led us to a hole in the wall bar. At least it’s cheap. We sat at the bar; Wattson sat next to me. He was awfully close. I thought nothing of it. The drinks kept coming, even though I had stopped ordering them. I wasn’t about to complain about the free drinks, but Wattson kept inching closer. Suddenly his hoof was somewhere surprising.

“Whoa,” I exclaimed. He retracted his hoof.

“What’s the matter?” he asked. Two Bit and Sheldon hadn’t noticed.

“That’s a little too close for me.” He frowned.

“Come on, I saw you hitting on me in the library.”

“I was helping you save face in front of your friends,” I explained. He reeled back in shock.

“So, you don’t like me?”

“Nooooo. I think you’re a good pony. You’re just not my type,” I told him. He looked down at the bar. “I’m sorry if I led you on.” I wasn’t leading him on at all! He was just reading the wrong signals. I suppose that wasn’t his fault. He was never really introduced to the signals in the first place.

With a sigh he said, “It’s okay. I should have realized you wouldn’t go for a stallion like me.” I sighed, now it felt a bit awkward. Perhaps it was time to go back home. I got up and gave Wattson a hug. He deserved it. I flew back home.

Luna was there.

“Where do you keep going?” I asked.

“You don’t expect me to spend all day here do you?” I glared at her jokingly.

“I’ve learned something about friendship, so take a note.”

“You learn quickly,” she remarked. Luna grabbed a quill and parchment.

“Ahem. You should be careful when you meet someone. Be very careful that you don’t give them the wrong idea,” I said.

She raised an eyebrow, “I wonder if I even want to hear how you learned this.” She sealed the letter and sent it away. “I’m afraid today will be my last day here. I’ve gotten a lot of work pushed my way and I must attend to it.” I groaned.

“But you’re the only sane pony I know.”

“Sorry, Swift. You and your friends can always come to visit if you want to.” As she finished her sentence she disappeared with a small flash. The apartment suddenly felt a lot lonelier. I turned off the lights and got into bed. I wished Butter had been there.