• Published 10th Mar 2012
  • 596 Views, 3 Comments

Chronicles of Swift Wing - Cinor



A young filly learns the meaning of friendship.

  • ...
 3
 596

Under My Wing pt.1

Swift Wing
In:
Under My Wing

The castle was cool and dark. I crept along the long hallway. I must be nearing the treasure vault. I hoped I was at least. The guards had been… taken care of earlier today by a little poison in the soup. I had made it myself so I knew it was good. My feet padded softly against the rugs. I heard someone coming down an adjacent hallway. I took shelter behind one the suits of armor that lined the hall.

“That damned Prince couldn’t tie his own shoe if… Hell, he can’t tie his own shoe,” muttered an old bearded man. My eyes went wide. It was the court wizard Zorander. If he caught me, I was done in. I held my breath as he passed. He stopped a few feet down the hallway.

“Is anyone here?” he asked. He looked around. I gripped one of my daggers. I had two that fit snugly into my utility belt. This belt contained everything a girl needs to steal. The wizard’s eyes sharpened as he glanced around. “Luminate,” he said, casting a spell to dispel the darkness. The hall erupted with bright light.

He swore as he dimmed the light. He swung the light he held aloft in his hands around. I got low to the floor, trying to minimize my shadow if any. A pouch buckle clinked against the suit or armor. The light pointed in my direction. I swore in my head.

“Reveal yourself,” he declared, “I won’t kill you immediately.” The sound of running filled the hallway.

“Wizard, you are needed in the infirmary,” said a soldier. I can only assume it was soldier. I was sweating heavily. The wizard grunted. The light disappeared.

“Fine, lead the way,” he said grumpily. The sound of footsteps disappeared. I breathed a sigh of relief. I took a quick peek around the side of the armor, making sure they hadn’t laid a trap. The hallway was clear. I resumed my creep along the floor. I pulled up my glove, revealing a bracelet. It was a simple golden loop with a diamond embedded in the wrist. The gem glowed brightly. I pulled the glove back over, stifling the glow. I was very close now.

I felt the gem radiate heat as I passed a blank part of the wall. I stopped and looked at it. It was just a normal part of the wall…. I put my hand and ear to it. The wall vibrated softly. So maybe it’s not so normal. I pulled out a magnifying glass from a pouch. I gazed at the wall through it. A few circles of archaic text appeared. With my other hand I grabbed a few scrolls. With great care I attached the scrolls to the archaic circles. A mess-up here would probably incinerate the entire floor.

As I covered the correct phrase on the circle, they would disappear, taking the scrolls with them. Those scrolls had cost me hundreds of gold, each. It was well worth it. I would have been here for hours if these didn’t cancel out those spells. The last spell removed the illusion from the door. The wall shimmered away to nothing. In its place stood a tall mahogany door, it wasn’t locked. I opened it cautiously. At the click of the door jamb, I felt something on my wrist. I pulled back and examined it. A small trickle of blood was running from a puncture wound.

“Oh, that’s not good,” I whispered. I wasn’t sure if this is a poison or magical salve, but I wasn’t happy. It’s probably nothing, I hoped. With more care than last time I turned the door handle. I saw the needle jab out as the handle turned. I pushed the door open. Jackpot.

The room was piled high with gold and jewelry. A mirror stood halfway out of a gold pile. I stood in front of it. I put a crown on and rammed rings onto my fingers.

“Why yes, this was a good day,” I purred. I admired myself in the mirror. Yes, the crown did go with my black hair. The rings, however, clashed with my leather padding. I put them into a pouch. I kept the crown on, made me feel like a princess. As I shoveled gold and jewelry into a sack, something caught my eye. It was beautiful.

“Hello, baby,” I said as I drew closer. On a pedestal in the corner lay a pillow, but that wasn’t important. On the pillow was the most gem inlaid brooch I had ever seen. I tenderly picked it up. It was a solid weight. “You must be solid gold.” I was mesmerized. I put it on and tucked it under my tunic. It fit in nicely. I was positively giddy. I picked up more gems and gold until my pouches were full. It was time to go. I turned to the door. A very unhappy wizard stood there. He casually smoked a pipe.

“Hello there, miss,” he said. I reached for a dagger, I wasn’t going down easy. He lazily swished his hand. The daggers flew from their sheaths and floated in front of him.

“Hello there, wizard.” He floated the daggers in a circle. Perhaps I could use same vanishing powder, grab the daggers, and slit his throat before he killed me with a thought. Yeah, that seems likely.

“I might be willing to let you go, if, you put that brooch, and all the treasure back,” he said. He was so casual. It was infuriating.

“Yeah, I don’t know about that. I mean, I don’t have any treasure.” He glanced at my head. The crown suddenly felt very heavy. “Oh, maybe just that.”

“No, you know, it takes a lot of skill to get in here and I’m only offering this once, so pay attention. Put down everything and I’ll make it quick for you,” he threatened. I wasn’t leaving without all this stuff. I felt around for the vanishing powder. I grabbed a pinch.

“I know what you’re thinking,” He continued, “that you can probably get out of here. Well there are guards outside this door.” I tensed up my fist.

“Perhaps you don’t know what that brooch is. It’s very dangerous. Everyone who put it on has died. We can’t even find the bodies.” That sent a chill through my body. I could feel it lying against my chest. It felt warm.

“You don’t think I’m going to believe that do you?” I asked. He smirked.

“Let me tell you what you’ll feel as it turns on, and believe me, it is. First, it will get warmer, very warm. It’s like a hot summer’s day just for you.” I could feel it getting warmer.

“Then, it will be heavy. So heavy it feels kind of like you’re being dragged to the underworld. Which you are.” My back hurt, I realized I had hunched over.

“I see,” he said. “Then, and this part is crucial, you’ll feel numb.” I flexed my fist, nothing. I started to sweat.

“Feeling it are we? Well, this is the last part, and I hope you’re ready. You see, this part is where you actually want it to work. You start to, you know, I’m not actually sure what happens. All the people who wear it just start screaming. It’s the strangest thing.” I knew why they screamed. I screamed too, until I blacked out that was.



I was in a world of pain, figuratively. Everything I saw was so bright and cheery. This must be the brooches magic. It’s not dangerous; it’s just a teleport spell. I laughed. That wizard was a terrible wizard if he couldn’t identify a teleport spell. I gave a small laugh. I would have done it if I’d had the time.

I had to gather my surroundings, but something caught my eye. No, not something, someone… me! I let out a gasp. My womanly body was… gone! I was a horse! My mind went racing. How could this happen? I must be an illusion, I thought, I'm just seeing things. Trying to calm myself, I began to think. 'It's okay, Swift, you've been in situations like this before'.

“Wizards,” I moaned. I placed my hands (hooves?) to my face. I took the hooves off my face, I growled. “I’m going to kill every wizard I meet from now on.” I looked around again. I was in a bed, in a room. That room was clearly part of a house. I sure was good at this game. I was still wearing my leather top, but now it fit my new body. The brooch was gone. Still had the crown! And my utility belt was slung over a chair next to the bed. I rummaged through it. The treasure was still there.

“I’m gonna be rich!” I exclaimed. I heard voices from the other room and I went quiet. There was a knock on the door.

“Are you decent?” the man asked. Decent for a horse. He didn’t wait for an answer and he opened the door. In trotted another horse. He was light brown; he had a moustache and a tattoo on his ass. What strange creatures. “I see you’re awake now. We found you in the woods and we took you home. Are you feeling better? My wife said you had a fever.”

My jaw hit the floor. This wasn't a mere illusion. It had been a teleport spell after all, but I'd never even heard of a place like this. What kind of a world had ponies instead of humans?

“I, uh, feel fine. You didn’t happen to see a necklace around me, did you?” He shook his head. That was a shame. I tried to stand up, but he stopped me.

“Whoa, you need to rest,” he said.

“Excuse me, but I happen to be a grown woman.” He laughed.

“You aren’t any older than a filly, my dear.” I lay back down on the bed. The pillow fluffed up around me. I hadn’t used a proper pillow in weeks. “Why don’t I get you some soup,” the pony offered. He trotted off to the other room.

“I don’t have time for sleeping. I have to sell this loot!” I said lightly. I took off the blanket and got on my hooves. It felt strange, like crawling on all fours. Luckily I had done that enough so it wasn’t too hard to adjust. I fumbled around putting the belt back on. The buckle was a major pain in the ass without dexterous fingers. Finally it felt good and tight around my midriff. I knew I wasn’t going to get out by the front door, not without that endearing couple stopping me. I looked to the window. I wasn’t that high up, only the second floor. I’d jumped higher distances before, this was cake. I unlocked the window and opened it wide. It was a straight drop onto a street below. A few other ponies walked here and there. Maybe the illusion’s in my head. I only think I see ponies. Yeah, that’s got to be it. I reached into a pouch and grabbed a few coins. I tossed them onto the bed. Then I leapt out the window.

I landed heavily on the street. A few gold coins came tumbling out of my belt. It was time to sell these bad boys and make some real money. I looked around, it was very unfamiliar town. So I had two choices, walk around blindly or look for information. Being a thief for years had taught me one thing, information is more valuable than treasure. I trotted along, looking for somebody who looked like they knew something.

That was something I'd always been proud of. I was a good thief, perhaps the best. I'd been an apprentice for years under a well-known thief. He'd taught me everything he knew. It really had been too bad that someone sold him out for a few thousand gold, but I didn't hold it against them.

I saw a few ponies levitating books and chatting together. They had horns protruding from their manes. I approached them cautiously. I was seriously distrusting magic right now.

“Hello,” I said to them. They looked up at me. “I was just wondering where you got those fine books.”

“We got them from the library,” said one.

“Where could I find that?” I asked.

“It’s over there,” she said. She pointed at a large tree.

“Thank you,” I said. I trotted off, but I could hear a laugh coming from them. It didn’t bother me, I knew I could take care of them if I wanted to, I just didn’t want to. Also I didn’t have my daggers anymore. The library tree was huge. Must be a nice house. I got to the doorway. It opened easily. The room was empty except for a purple pony. She had a horn as well. I cleared my throat, loudly.

“Hello,” she said, “anything I can help you with?” Why hadn’t I just asked anyone where the jewelers were? I regained my train of thought.

“Hi, I was looking for jewelers. Do you know any?” She rattled off a few names with military precision. None of the street names made any sense. “I see. I’m new here and I’m not familiar with the town yet. Could you just point me there?” She did so.

“My name’s Twilight Sparkle. I run the library here. Welcome to Ponyville. What’s your name?”

“My name? it’s, uh, Swift Wing.” She nodded.

“Oh, so you’re a pegasus?” Twilight asked. I was certainly not one of those.

“I don’t think so,” I started to say. She pointed at my sides. There were two unnatural bulges on my back. “Maybe I am,” I said. “One more thing, Twilight. I need to get some new daggers…” I trailed off as she frowned.

“I don’t know anypony who sells those,” she said sadly.

“Nopony at all?” I asked hopefully. She just shook her head. I sighed. “Well, thank you for the help. I’m sure I’ll be back.” I trotted out the door. I had to get all this weight off my belt. It was feeling awfully heavy.

The jeweler hadn’t given me the news I’d wanted. He’d given me about 200 ‘bits’ for the whole bunch. I’d have gotten thousands back at home. It made me angry to even think of the rip-off that had just occurred. He’d even asked if I wanted to sell the crown. My princess crown! He made a claim that the gems clashed with my icy ‘coat’. I didn’t care though, I liked it. I asked him what he would pay a good deal of money for. Sarcastically he said the Elements of Harmony. I told him I’d be back. I had gone back to the library.

“Hello, Twilight,” I said as I walked in. She was surprised.

“Hello, Swift. You’re back soon.”

“Well, the jeweler was a cheapskate. I’ve got a question for you. Where can I find the Elements of Harmony?” her muzzle scrunched up.

“I, uh, they… why?” she asked,

“I want to sell them,” I declared.

“Good luck,” she said jokingly, “The Princesses keep them in a royal chamber. I don’t think you could get into that if you tried.” Little did she know how many ‘royal chamber’s’ I’ve been in. This should be cake walk, they don’t even have weapons.

“Where can I find these Princesses?” I asked. Twilight looked suspicious.

“You really aren't from around here are you? They’re in Canterlot. You can take the train there.” I thanked her. I hit the train station. What’s a train?



The train had been an exhilarating experience. I’d never felt such jostling before. It had definitely been fun. Canterlot was an interesting city, much like Stromkirk back home. It had huge buildings made of stone. A large section of the city was occupied by a castle. I knew this to be the castle I wanted. The prospect of sneaking in somewhere made me excited, it always did. I wished I had daggers, but you can’t always get what you need.

Thinking of Stromkirk made me smirk. It was such a stuck up city, and to imagine that I was born there. If only my parents had known what all that higher class teachings turned me into. It had been a particularly unexciting violin lesson that broke the camels back. I packed up some clothes and left town. I had never looked back. The last time I went to Stromkirk I stole from all my old friends. It felt good.

I needed to kill time until nightfall. Nightfall was prime stealing condition. I sauntered into a sleazy tavern. It had looked sleazy on the outside at least. Even the sleazy bars were better than Stromkirk’s good bars! I sighed, it would have to do. Time for free drinks. I sat at the bar and acted lonely. Slowly but surely, I was getting sated.

One stallion in particular was paying a lot of attention to me. Well, my flank at least. He trotted up to me as I drank. I guess he thought he had a shot. Yeah right.

“Hello, gorgeous,” he said smoothly. I was teetering on the barstool. He rested a hoof on my shoulder. “You feeling okay? Perhaps you should lie down.”

I gave a giggle, “at your place?” I asked. He nodded. I wanted some more, time to lay it on thick. “Teehee, that sounds good and all, but I don’t know if I’m ready to go yet.” I gave a small pout. He got me another drink, a strong one too. I drank it as he licked his lips.

“Just one more, pwease,” I said, fluttering my eyes. He ordered another. This one was stronger than the last! Success! I nearly fell off the chair. He caught me and placed me on my legs.

“We need to get you rested up,” he said. I followed him out of the bar and into an apartment. It was pretty shabby. He started rubbing his face into my mane. That was a strange feeling. It was welling up inside of me. It, it, oh yes, it was annoyance. I pushed him back gently.

“Watch out lover boy. Let’s not get so hasty,” I said. He resumed the nuzzling. “Look, unless you’ve also got lady bits under there, I’m not interested.”

“Have you ever tried it?” he asked. He was breathing deeply into my mane.

“Well, no,” I admitted.

“Then why not?”



We were in his bed. He was casually puffing on a self-rolled cigarette. Well, he hadn’t been wrong. It was alright. I looked out the window. Thankfully it was getting dark now. I arched my back, hearing a few cracks from the bones. He looked at me.

“You want some more?” he asked.

“Nope. I have to take care of things.” I slid out of the covers. It was easy to see my icy blue coat. Two wings indeed sat on my back. I slipped on my leather clothes and the belt. I put the crown on last.

“Why do you wear that thing? It’s completely out of place,” he remarked.

“I like it, makes me feel pretty.”

“You are pretty. I didn’t know you like roleplay either. We could’ve-” I cut him off and walked out. I’d had enough of him. I’d never really had a long term girl or boyfriend. It just wasn’t my thing. The castle was coming onto view. He’d had a nice apartment, close to the castle. I’d been lucky. The gates were shut when I arrived.

“Hello there,” I said to the guards, “I was wondering if I could come in. Can I?”

“No,” he said flatly.

I used my puppy-dog eyes, “Please?”

“No.” Bastards.

“Is there any way I can get in?” I asked.

“If Celestia comes out here personally and lets you in,” he said laughing.

“Okay, let her in then,” came a regal voice. Behind him landed a tall pony. She had wings and a horn! This must be a princess. Her crown was better than mine! I was going to have to try and grab that.

“R-right away, your majesty,” said the guard. The gates opened slowly.

“I’ll see you in the throne room,” she said. She flew off. I walked into the castle grounds.

The castle’s grand door closed behind me. It locked with a very loud click. I looked around. Every path looked like it could end with a royal chamber containing treasure. I took the one that lead up, it seemed rational. You always keep the good treasure high up. I felt sad, but I took off the crown and stowed it in my belt, it would reflect too much light. Some of my hair tumbled down. It was a mixture of pink and white strands.

The halls were empty. No ponies at all. It was the easiest sneaking I had ever done. The castle had grand, sweeping rooms; long, scary hallways; and flights of stairs that seem to stretch to the heavens. A pretty good castle all in all. Definitely in my top ten. I heard the sound of beating wings. I ducked into one of the rooms that lined the halls. This room was full of art pieces. The beating wings stopped and hooves landed heavily against the floor. I heard voices.

“The princess said she’d be up here by now,” said a gruff male voice. There were whinnies and snorts.

“Maybe she heard us. Check the rooms,” said a feminine voice. One point for the ladies team. I leapt away from the door, behind an art display. I had to not be here. I felt in my pouch for some vanishing powder. The door to the room opened. A light flashed around. The shadow of the art display mixed with the shadow made by my hair.

“Come on out,” he said. “We won’t hurt you.” I felt the powder rub against my hoof. I tried to pull out as little as I could but it wasn’t easy. The guard was approaching. “She’s in here!” he yelled. I threw the powder into the air. As it drifted over my body I felt the tingling of its power. I heard a gasp from the guard. “She’s gone!” he exclaimed. I got off my flank and crept around him. A few other guards jammed into the doorway now. They have to move! Vanishing powder doesn’t have much of a half-life. Only a few minutes before the powers fade. I approached the door, ready to run when they moved. My hoof lightly scraped the tiled floor.

“I heard her. She’s still here,” said another guard. “Stay by the door.” I cursed at him. The room was windowless and had just the one door. I could feel the tingle of the powder fade. A guard looked my way. His eyes stayed on my position. The powder was running out. I was panicking. I dug for more powder, but with the belt around my midriff, it spilled all over the floor. All the guards noticed this.

“There she is,” said the first guard, approaching me. I felt the powder finally pass away as I became visible. The guards surrounded me.

“You are coming with us,” said the female. I let out a whimper. I hadn’t been caught in years. I wasn’t counting the wizard because I had gotten out of that. Last time I got caught… I nearly lost my hand. Only Deckard had been able to save me then. I didn’t think he was coming to help me now. Deckard had been my best friend as we trained as thieves. I was always better than he was, and I think that irked him.

Of course I lorded if over him every day. Maybe that’s why he went the way of the assassin. The male guard pushed at my flank.

“Let’s get going,” he grunted. They lead me down five flights of stairs and into the grandest room I’d ever seen. Tapestries hung from the ceilings. A huge glass mosaic lined the back wall. The moon’s light glowed through the windows which took a majority of the ceiling. It was sweet. Sitting on one of the thrones in the back was the white princess I’d seen earlier. Next to her was a smaller black princess. I’d say she was definitely prettier.

“Hello,” said the white princess. Perhaps she would kill me quickly. That might be nice.

“H-hello,” I muttered. The guard pushed my head down, to make me bow.

“Stop that,” ordered the princess. The guard relented. “She’s not a criminal… yet.” The princesses turned to me. I stood up straight.

“Now, little filly, my name is Celestia, and this is my sister Luna. We’ve heard that your name is Swift Wing, is that correct?” Celestia asked. I nodded. “Okay, Swift Wing, why have you come to the castle tonight?” I wanted to lie to her, to try and save myself. But something brought the truth out.

“I was going to steal the Elements of Harmony,” I said. Oh god, it sounds so stupid when you say it out loud!

“Do you work for Discord?” asked Luna.

“Who?”

“Never mind,” she said.

Celestia spoke up, “why do you want the elements?”

“I wanted to sell them to make my money back.” Celestia laughed.

“I doubt anypony would be willing to buy those. Certainly nopony knows their true value.” My ears drooped. Maybe this had been a bad idea. The guards were still here, giving me menacing looks.

“How did you know I would be here?” I asked.

“No questions,” said a guard. He head-butted my side. I coughed for a breath. Luna scolded him.

“My apprentice told me you’d be here to do just that. You must have met her. Her name is Twilight Sparkle.” She sold me out! “Now, on to the matter of punishment.”

“Yes, we can’t just let this slide,” Luna chimed in. “Please leave the room guards. This might get ugly.” I could feel my body shivering. There was far too much light in the room. It needed for shadows. I missed being in the shadows right now. The guards left. I was hunched low on the ground.

“Now, punishment,” said Celestia.

“Indeed,” said Luna. Their horns glowed. They didn’t move or talk. They just stared at me. These wizard ponies are going to kill me! Even when Zorander had threatened me I wasn’t this scared. I wish Deckard was here, he’d know how to get out. I felt a tear drop down my cheek. Deckard had given his life to save my hand. I’d rather have him than a hoof right now. The horns stopped glowing.

“Swift Wing, how many friends do you have?” asked Celestia. I ran through a bunch of names quickly.

“None,” I responded.

“Why don’t you have friends?” asked Luna.

“They’re a liability. I had one once… but… not anymore.” Another tear fell from my cheek. Ugh, how could I be crying in front of these ponies?

“You live a lonely life, don’t you?” asked Celestia.

“Yes.” The answer came before I could even think about it. Surely I wasn’t that lonely…

“You’re in a land of many opportunities to change that you know? I have sent my apprentice to study the magic of
friendship. Perhaps you could try that as well,” offered Celestia.

“I’ve never been good at school.” I felt a strange tugging at my tail. I looked but nothing was there.

“I’m sure you’ll do fine. Luna can help you get adjusted in whatever city you’d like,” Celestia continued. The tugging grew in intensity.

“I’m not so sure,” I began. I was sliding back over the floor. “Uh, something’s happening. What are you doing?”

“We aren’t doing anything,” said Luna. She looked genuinely concerned. My body felt strange, foreign.

“I don’t feel so good,” I spat. It felt like I was distorted. The world blacked away and I was alone in darkness, just like
always.



I felt prodding at my side. A farmer was looking at me, something distasteful in his eyes. He saw me wake up and frowned.

“Excuse me,” I said. He walked away. I looked at my body. I was certainly human again. I still had my belt and pouches; that was lucky. I felt for my crown, it was still there. I didn’t put it on; these people would slit my throat for it; or worse. I got out of the mud, a pig passed me. Wonderful. Now I needed a long bath.