• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 1,291 Views, 247 Comments

The Equine Scrolls: SkyFiM - FireOfTheNorth



The Alicorn Empire has broken apart, the dragons are returning, and war looms on the Horizon. It is in times like these that heroes are needed. The unicorn Sapphire never wanted to be a hero, but destiny never asks what one wants.[Skyrim Crossover]

  • ...
6
 247
 1,291

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15: The City of Kings

Chapter XV: The City of Kings
“Magic, shmagic. Boo!”

Through the night I continued to steer the boat as best I could through the choppy waters. I had no real idea of where I was going; I just followed the winds south and tried not to hit any islands or the coastline. The rain began to let up as morning dawned, the bright sunlight piercing the dissipating clouds.

In the distance I could see a walled town just inland. Twisting the wheel, I steered us toward the mouth of the river it seemed to be built along. A few other masts sprouted up over the hills between us and the town so I had to believe there was a harbor there.

“Town in sight,” I called down to where Steadfast was adjusting the sails, “I just hope it’s an earth pony one.”

“It’s all right,” he yelled back, “That’s Windhorn, capital of the Stormcloud rebellion.”

I had mixed feelings about the Stormclouds. First of all, they seemed to be extremely racist toward pegasi and unicorns alike. But Bereloth had seemed decent enough, at least in the short time I’d known him. If more Stormclouds were like him we wouldn’t have any trouble in Windhorn. Besides, it was too late to turn back now and search for another town to dock in.

Shakily, I guided the Inquisitor up the river, trying not to smash us to pieces on the banks. As we neared the Windhorn harbor, I could see ponies rushing along the city’s wall and the docks. A few jumped off into the icy waters and began swimming toward our ship. I didn’t think anything of it until a dripping wet pony climbed onto the deck and drew her sword.

“Surrender the vessel!” she demanded, though she appeared to be addressing Steadfast, who was busy realigning the sails.

“Back away from the wheel,” a stallion who had just climbed aboard demanded of me.

“But, I’m trying to guide the ship into port,” I started to explain.

“I’ll take over from here,” he stated, leaving no room for argument.

Two other Stormclouds pulled me away from the wheel and the stallion took my place. With expertise, he directed his crew to guide the ship smoothly up to the docks, where it was secured in place.

“Ship secured captain, no crew belowdecks,” an earth pony mare announced, trotting up to the stallion at the wheel, “What should we do with the prisoners?”

“Take them to the Jarl, let him decide,” the stallion said, sizing up the ship.

“Prisoners?” I asked, but I was herded away before I could get a response.

Though Steadfast struggled against his captors, eventually he gave up and let himself be led along with me. Under the careful watch of Stormcloud soldiers, we were led off the Inquisitor and along the docks. I noticed as we crossed the main stone dock to the city that the ponies doing most of the grunt work had bat wings folded across their backs and averted their eyes and cowered at the glares of the Stormclouds. Before I could get a closer look, I was shoved forward roughly.

“Don’t bother with them,” my guard said, “They’re below even you, unicorn.”

It looked like avoiding racism here was unlikely. I traveled the rest of the way into the city in silence, trying to avoid doing anything to provoke the soldiers guarding me. After climbing a long stone stairway cut from the solid rock, we were able to enter the ancient city.

Though I didn’t want to argue with my captors, I couldn’t resist looking around as we trotted through Windhorn. I had thought that Whitetrot was an intensely stereotypical earth pony town, but it was nothing compared to here. In fact, the architecture that made up the city seemed almost identical to what I’d seen in Blank Flanks Barrow and Hoovestengrav.

This city was the birthplace of earth pony culture, and they certainly seemed to be flaunting it. At crossroads, tucked into corners, and built into the walls themselves were monuments to earth pony historical figures, from Ysgroomar to King Oman One-Eye. Wandering through this city, I would’ve been able to experience thousands of years of history.

Sadly, I wouldn’t be able to do that, at least not immediately. Roughly, I was escorted toward the palace at the north edge of the town, built slightly up the slope of a steep hill so that it looked down over the rest of the town. We were led past a statue of an earth pony smashing a cowering pegasus with a warhammer before being pushed through the massive doors of the keep.

Once inside, we entered the great hall immediately. A deep blue carpet stretched the length of the room, flanked on either sides by long tables covered in food. From the vaulted ceilings tapestries hung, all depicting a stylized cloud with twin lightning bolts extending from its underside. Set high in the walls were stained glass windows depicting powerful earth ponies striking down unicorns, pegasi, zebras, griffins, and pretty much every other race.

At the far end of the hall was a rough throne hewn from a single block of stone. On it sat a deep blue earth pony clad in the furs of Horizon, a simple crown upon his head. I had seen him only once before, but I could never forget who he was.

“Jarl Stormcloud,” one of our escorts proclaimed as we neared the rulers’ throne, “We captured these two trying to sail a Blackwing ship into the harbor.”

“Blackwings, huh?” the Jarl replied, frowning at us, “Well you’re pretty poor Blackwings indeed if you were captured so easily. Or maybe your plan was to be captured and taken to me. I see my soldiers were too inept to relieve you of your weapons.”

The guard standing beside me suddenly jumped in shock and moved to remove my several blades from me.

“No point now, is there?” Stormcloud called for the guard to halt, “They’re already within the Palace of Kings, before my very throne. But do take care not to make the same mistake in the future.”

“Yes my Jarl,” the soldier replied, visibly shaken.

“And now about you two,” the Jarl said, turning back toward Steadfast and me, “You don’t look like Blackwings, and not just by your mannerisms. A unicorn and earth pony Blackwing? Impossible.”

“So, who are you then? Tell me a tale, and it had better be good enough to convince me you’re not just another trick thrown at me by those accursed pegasi!”

“Well,” I started to speak, “We stole that ship from the Blackwings to escape from-”

You stole from the Blackwings?” the Jarl interrupted me, “Just the two of you? You must be legendary warriors then. I don’t know; I have trouble believing that.”

“But it’s the truth!” Steadfast burst out, “We broke into one of their bases in the Featherrest Isles and escaped in the storm!”

“Let me get this straight. You not only were able to defeat Blackwings and take their ship, but you did it from within their homeland? Very unlikely.”

“It’s the truth, I tell you!” Steadfast fumed, “I swear on the Shards of Wingrend, Ysgroomar’s mighty blade, that it is!”

“A Companion?” Stormcloud said, shocked, “Of course, I should have seen it before. What brought you to the cursed Isles, kinsman?”

“My personal quest,” he replied proudly, “Sapphire here was helping me.”

“That I can respect and understand, and bringing down a Blackwing ship in addition is something to be proud of. You may go, return to Whitetrot and your shield-siblings. Hopefully someday Jarl Valor’s Blade will see reason and you can assist in the liberation of Horizon.”

“Thank you,” I said and turned to leave, but I found my path blocked by a guard’s spear.

“Not you, unicorn,” Stormcloud said, “I don’t yet know of your motivations. You may be working for the Empire.”

“No,” I pleaded, “I left the Empire. I came to Horizon. I’m Thane of Whitetrot!”

“If that’s true, they must be giving it out to anypony these days,” the Jarl laughed, “Has Valor’s Blade lost his mind?”

“I’m not a spy!” I insisted, “I just want to leave.”

“You can leave after you’ve been through thorough questioning,” the Jarl stated, his face hardening, “Take her away!”

The Stormcloud soldiers around me began to push me away from the throne and toward one of the side corridors, though I struggled against them.

“Hey!” Steadfast called, pushing through them and coming to my side, “What’s the big idea? She’s done nothing wrong.”

“That is yet to be decided,” Stormcloud replied, “Until then she will stay here. You, however, may go.”

“No way!” Steadfast fought back with a passion I hadn’t expected, “If you’re going to take my friend away, you’re going to have to take me too!”

I had to admit, I was thoroughly surprised at how hard Steadfast was fighting for me. After all, we’d barely known each other for a day and already he considered me to be a good enough friend that he’d rather go to prison with me than let us be separated. Maybe our adventures together had been a deeply bonding experience? I realized I would probably do the same thing for him, for my friend.

“I had hoped not to include you in this,” the Jarl sighed, “But so be it. Take them both away.”

“Report from the Split shows Imperial troop movements within Foalkreath Hold, my Jarl,” I heard a familiar voice say as Steadfast and I were led away.

“Bereloth?” I asked hopefully.

“Sapphire?” I heard his questioning reply.

“Wait,” the Jarl said, “Bereloth, you know this mare?”

“Of course,” he said, pushing the guards around me aside, “She was at Hoofgen with us, about to be executed too, and I escaped with her. She helped me fight through the keep.”

“This is the truth?” Stormcloud asked hesitantly.

“Yes, all of it,” I spoke, “Bereloth and I fought together to escape from that dragon.”

“Well,” the Jarl said thoughtfully, “Bereloth is one of my most trusted soldiers, and a true son of Horizon. I suppose if you are willing to vouch for her-”

“I am,” Bereloth interrupted before he could finish.

“Very well then, you are free to go. Maybe someday you will be willing to fight alongside us again, for our cause, and Horizon’s freedom.”

Eager to get out before the Jarl changed his mind, I sidestepped around the guards and set my sights on the exit. In my haste, I ran right into an elderly mare, knocking her to the ground.

“Sorry about that,” I said, helping her up.

“I’m sure it was just an acciden-” she began to say before she turned to look at me and her face went pale.

“You!” she yelled, throwing off my helping hoof, “How dare you come here after what you’ve done!”

“What is the matter now, Deala?” Jarl Stormcloud asked.

Deala, my mind flew, connecting the dots. This was Deala the Aged, the pony I had just helped oust from power a few days earlier. She did not seem to be taking it well at all.

“Jarl Stormcloud, why have you let an Imperial set hoof in here!” she continued to rant.

“Now see here,” Bereloth stepped forward, “Sapphire’s no Imperial. Well, she is an Imperial Unicorn, but she’s no Imperial soldier. She helped me fight my way through and killed Imperial soldiers just a fortnight ago.”

“Well, things have certainly changed since then,” Deala fought back, “Just three days ago she was part of the Imperial attack on Dawnstar that drove me from my Hold. She was there alongside General Cuirass when he banished me.”

“Do you deny this?” Jarl Stormcloud looked at me, seeming a bit confused, “Did you help the Imperials attack Dawnstar?”

“Well, yes,” I started to say, “But I had no choice.”

“Seize her!” the Jarl ordered, and his guards grabbed hold of me once again.

Deala smirked as I was brought back before the Jarl’s throne. Just when I thought I was free, I was going to be sent to the Windhorn dungeons anyway. Looked like things couldn’t get any worse. I was so very wrong.

“For conspiring with the Imperials and assisting in an attack that cost us one of our precious holds, I hereby sentence you to be executed in full view of the public as an example,” the Jarl passed his judgment.

“Executed?” I gasped.

“Jarl, is this necessary?” Bereloth asked.

“Hold your tongue,” Stormcloud shot back, “I’ve made my final decision. I’m afraid both Jarl Deala’s words and her own have incriminated her for a crime that cannot be forgiven. Nothing will sway me in this judgment.”

Off-tune humming suddenly came echoing down one of the corridors that led away from the great hall. The guards all turned to listen and seemed to forget about their duty to execute me. Maybe if I could just slip away . . .

A look at the guards showed I could probably slip away unnoticed, but what about Steadfast? I couldn’t leave him behind, even if he probably wouldn’t be executed. I decided to wait and see if another opportunity came up to escape. I still had all my gear, after all.

“I’m really not in the mood for this right now,” I heard Jarl Stormcloud mumble as the humming grew louder, accompanied by an odd springing sound.

A pale green earth pony suddenly bounced into the room. In fact, so high and springy were her jumps, her hooves had to be made of coiled springs. Her violently pink mane was done up in the most ridiculous style imaginable, with bows of every shape, size, and color sprinkled in, contrasting sharply with the crisp and formal military uniform she wore.

“Hi Stormy!” she chimed, jumping on top of the Jarl’s throne and inverting herself to stare him in the eyes, “Looks like I got here just in time!”

“Actually, Zest,” he said, pushing her face away from his own, “Now’s not really a good time.”

“Silly Stormy,” she said, ruffling up his mane, “Don’t you know it’s always a good time when I’m around.”

The Jarl growled as he smoothed his mane back into place and Zest somersaulted off his throne.

“Now, let’s see what we have here,” she said, rubbing her chin, “Embellishment? Entrepreneurship? Exposition? No.”

“Wait!” she gasped, “Execution?”

“However did you guess,” the Jarl said, looking rather annoyed.

“Just a hunch,” she replied with a shrug, “But I just gotta warn you Stormy, executing innocent ponies is bad for business.”

“Innocent?!” the Jarl spat out, “She helped General Cuirass and his accursed Empire take Dawnstar, driving Deala from her home and denying us a much-needed port!”

“Dawnstar? That’s the town that makes those delicious mudcrab pies. And of course I remember Deala,” Zest said, bounding over to the elderly former Jarl, “Who could forget a face like this?”

“Do you have anything useful to say today?” the Jarl asked, “I have a city to keep, after all.”

“I can’t say I have anything useful to tell you, or at least not anything you’d consider useful, but I think Deala does.”

“What?” the older mare objected, “I don’t think so.”

“How about you tell him the whole story about what happened at Dawnstar?”

“What are you talking about?” Deala spat back a bit too suddenly, “There’s nothing to tell!”

“Oh, come on, it’s a very touching story,” Zest said, bouncing around, “And even at your age, I don’t think you’re forgetful enough that you don’t recall what happened just a few days ago.”

“Deala, what is she talking about?” Jarl Stormcloud asked, looking more concerned now.

“Nothing, she’s just crazy,” Deala replied.

“Did you tell me everything about the attack on Dawnstar?”

“Of course.”

“Do you swear to Talhooves that you did not withhold anything?”

“I don’t think that’s necessary-”

“Do you?” Stormcloud demanded, rising from his throne.

“All right!” Deala broke down, “General Cuirass was going to execute me before she stopped him.”

“Truly?” the Jarl asked, looking my way.

“Ooh, tell him about the griffins!” Zest exclaimed.

“Griffins?” Stormcloud asked, “Yes Deala, you said that the Imperials were aided by griffins, but not why.”

“I was captured by them,” I explained, “The only way they’d agree to let me go was if I helped work out a deal between them and the Empire, which involved the invasion of Dawnstar.”

“I see,” the Jarl said, giving a deep sigh, “I suppose, given this new information, I will have to allow you to leave. The execution’s off.”

“What?!” Deala protested.

“She convinced General Cuirass to spare your life, and now I am sparing hers,” Stormcloud declared, his eyes making clear there was no room for questions, “A life for a life, but if you wish to remain in my good graces Sapphire, you’ll remain free of Imperials from now on.”

“I knew you’d make the right choice,” Zest said, wrapping a hoof around the monarch, “You’ve got a good heart under that stony exterior, Stormy.”

“How did you know all that?” I asked the odd mare.

“Just a guess, I suppose,” she said with a shrug, “Either that or I’m psychic. Let me guess what you’re thinking, and don’t think about elephants.”

“What?” I said, confused.

“Are you thinking about elephants?” she asked urgently, jumping up close and staring me in the eyes.

“Well, yes,” I admitted, “but only because-”

“I guess that settles it then,” Zest said, backing off, “I really am psychic.”

“Um . . .”

“Ooh, pie! My favorite!” she exclaimed suddenly, jumping onto the table and snatching up the pie from in front of a shocked noblepony who was about to eat.

“She’s a bit . . . odd,” the Jarl commented as Zest ran down to the end of the table before jumping off and gobbling up the pie in midair, “But she has her uses, as I think you’ll agree.”

“Right . . .” I said, not sure of what else I could say to the Jarl who had just sentenced me to prison, then freed me, then sentenced me to death before freeing me again.

In the end, I decided the best thing to do was just walk away. Nopony moved to stop me, and the Jarl’s court seemed to be returning to normal. Deala huffed off, giving me dirty looks as she went, and Bereloth ventured a smile at me before returning to report to the Jarl.

“So . . .” Steadfast said, trotting up beside me, “What other secrets are you keeping?”

“They’re not secrets,” I responded, “Just . . . things I don’t consider to be that important.”

“Well, whenever you get around to telling me your story, don’t leave out any unimportant parts, all right?”

“Deal,” I agreed wearily.

With the rate things were progressing, I guess it wouldn’t hurt to tell somepony exactly what was going on in my life, and Steadfast seemed a willing and trustworthy confidant.

Exiting the Palace of Kings, Steadfast and I made our way down the stone streets of Windhorn. On our way through the town, we encountered more than one street with guards posted near signs that read “No Pegasi Beyond this Point.” Looked like racism was rampant in the Stormcloud capitol. Eventually we found the inn at the center of town, rising above the other nearby buildings.

I stepped inside, eager for some sleep before we left for Seclusion. Paying the innkeep a hefty sum in gold, I headed for my room while Steadfast headed for his. Before we parted ways, we agreed to meet up in a few hours to leave. To get to the room I was assigned, I had to pass through the common area.

“Here’s a song everypony should be familiar with,” I heard the bard say as I passed through.

The song she began to sing was familiar to my ears; it was the same song I had heard in Foalkreath, except the words were different. I stopped to listen to the mare sing.

“We drink to our youth, for the days come and gone.”
“For the Age of Oppression, is just about done.”
“We’ll drive out the Empire, and restore what we own.”
“With our blood and our steel we will take back our home.”
“All hail Jarl Stormcloud, you are the High King.”
“In your great honor we drink and we sing.”
“We’re the true colts of Horizon, and we fight all our lives.”
“And when Sovngarde beckons, every one of us dies.”

Some of the ponies in the room began to clap, especially the Stormcloud soldiers present. Evidently this song was the Stormcloud counterpart to the Imperial one I’d heard in Foalkreath, but which came first? Too tired to really care that much, I made my way to my room, stripped out of my armor, and went to sleep.

◊◊◊ ◊◊◊ ◊◊◊

Having not had a long or deep sleep at High Hoofgar the day before, I understandably ended up oversleeping. Once Steadfast woke me up, we made our way to Seclusion, and the Bards College.

“You actually did it,” Concerto said with awe as she admired the Master Lute.

“I believe we had an agreement,” Steadfast said and I pulled back the lute as she moved to touch it.

“Of course,” she said, “I’ll have Dean Timbre retrieve the horn for you immediately.”

In a few minutes we made the exchange, the masterfully crafted wooden lute for the ornately carved bone horn. I let Steadfast admire Jurgen Sky-whinny’s horn for a minute before tucking it away in my saddlebags.

“Inform the students of this latest development,” Concerto told Dean Timbre before turning her attention back to us, “You did a remarkable job. I don’t suppose you would like to work for the College again?”

“Maybe some other time,” I said, looking at Steadfast who nodded his agreement, “We’ve got somewhere to be.”

“Oh, well all right,” Concerto said, looking disappointed, “But if you ever need some work, just come see me.”

“Will do,” I said, leaving the room.

“So, what’s the plan now?” Steadfast asked as we emerged from the College with the prize we’d both been searching for.

“Whitetrot,” I said, “You can present the horn to the Companions before I need to take it to the Greymanes. They’re not going anywhere. They can wait.”

A young earth pony came running toward us as we headed down the path toward Castle Dour.

“Are you Sapphire, Thane of Whitetrot?” he asked as he reached us.

“Yes,” I replied curiously.

“Jarl Radiance the Fair has requested your presence in the Blue Palace,” he said, pointing back the way we had come to the imposing structure on the edge of the city.

“What for?” I asked.

“She did not say, only that it was important I find you and deliver this message once you entered the city.”

Giving a shrug toward Steadfast, I turned around and headed toward the Blue Palace, the residence of Seclusion’s Jarl, apparently. Past the Bards College and fancy houses I trotted, until I passed beneath the wall leading to the palace. Imperial guards moved aside to let me pass as I entered the palace.

Inside, the palace was exquisite, complete with tiled floors and ornately carved walls lined with potted flowers. Compared to Castle Dour, this place was a paradise. It was no wonder the Jarl chose to reside here and left the old fortress to the Legion.

Up a set of sweeping spiral stairs, I found myself in the Jarl’s throne room. Banners of the Imperial Legion and Seclusion’s seal, a howling wolf, decorated the room. Banquets set out on tables where nobleponies dined. At the end of the room were two thrones, a tall dark one that sat empty, and a shorter lighter one, where a cream-colored mare dressed in gowns of state sat.

It was no wonder her title was Radiance the Fair, she was absolutely beautiful, but her beauty seemed to be only a shadow of what it could be. Deep sadness surrounded her, and I could see it in her eyes. Upon seeing me enter, she allowed a small smile to crack her dour exterior and the room lit up instantly.

“Ah, Sapphire, Thane of Whitetrot and slayer of dragons,” she spoke in melodic tones, “Thank you for coming.”

“My pleasure, Jarl,” I replied, hoping I was using correct manners when speaking to Horizon royalty, “Now if you don’t mind me asking, why did you want to speak to me?”

“Word of your deeds has spread across Horizon, though slowly, until reaching my ears. They say you know how to kill dragons, and I think everypony in Horizon knows by now the dragons are returning. Your skills will be much desired in the coming days I think.”

“Now, Jarl Valor’s Blade has wisely kept you close to him by making you Thane of his city, but I hope you will not hesitate to help the other holds when they call upon you. There are too few ponies with the skill to slay dragons in this land. But, perhaps you can teach others to do what you have done? The soldiers of Hoofingar Hold are willing and ready to hear any advice you may have for them, as does the Imperial Legion that resides within my city.”

“I would be happy to help in any way I can,” I told the Jarl.

However, other than being able to use the Voice, I didn’t think I possessed any special skills in slaying dragons. In my opinion, my last two victories had been the result of a mixture of quick-thinking, strategy, and a good bit of luck. But, like I had told the Jarl, I would offer anything I could.

“Good,” she said, giving a sigh, “I’m sure General Cuirass will be happy to hear that. Of course, I’m sure he would be happy to have somepony like you employed in his Legion too. Unofficially, of course; he’d have to understand how busy your life must be that you cannot devote every single moment to service in the Imperial military.”

“I don’t know,” I said.

I was still really undecided in the whole Horizon Civil War. I hadn’t had particularly good experiences with either side.

“Of course you needn’t decide right away,” Radiance reassured me, “But remember this. Jarl Stormcloud is nothing but a cruel tyrant dedicated to subjecting Horizon to his will. He has no right to the High King’s throne, especially after murdering my husband King Shade in cold blood.”

As she recounted her husband’s death, her formerly happy mood seemed to fade away, replaced by the sorrow that had surrounded her when I had first entered her court. I didn’t know what to say in reply. Thankfully, I didn’t have to as a courier rushed into the room and up the Radiance’s throne.

“News from Dragon Bridge,” he panted out, “A dragon is attacking!”

“Well, I suppose it was only a matter of time,” Radiance said sadly, before turning back to where Steadfast and I were standing, “I’m afraid you will have to lecture my guards some other time. I need you to help Dragon Bridge, if you’re willing.”

I looked back at Steadfast before turning back to the Jarl.

“Just point the way.”

Level Up
Health: 160 Stamina: 140 Magicka: 150
New Perk: Horse Sense [Speech] -- Your ability to assess the value of items is impeccable, and as such you receive noticeably improved prices when bartering.
Unique Item added: The Horn of Jurgen Sky-whinny -- This war horn of the great earth pony warrior and later pacifist monk can summon the spirits of Jurgen’s dead army to fight at your side.
Fame added: The Bards College -- This school in Seclusion has taught most of the bards throughout the land of Horizon and continues to promote the spread of music and the preservation of history through it.
New Quest: Dragon on the Bridge -- Travel to Dragon Bridge and vanquish the dragon there.

PreviousChapters Next