• Published 26th Nov 2013
  • 1,819 Views, 24 Comments

Of Dragons and Ponies - Mystic_Knightwolf



What happens when a dragon from afar comes to Equestria?

  • ...
5
 24
 1,819

A Noble Purpose

The following afternoon of the next day, the girls, along with a good portion of Ponyville's occupants, were waiting in town Square.

All manor of party decorations were set up in honor of Grigori's arrival, courtesy of Pinkie Pie, who named this occasion Grigori's Welcoming Party. The townsfolk, though already expecting Grigori in all his draconic glory via yesterday's newspaper, were still anxious from the photo of Grigori standing with Spike, Zecora, and the crusaders, all of whom he simply towered over. Even then, having a new visitor to Ponyville always had its excitement.

Twilight was standing atop the stage in front of city hall overlooking the crowd, looking over a clipboard, checking off occupants and party supplies. With the only thing left unchecked being Grigori and Spike, Twilight looked about the skies for the missing dragons. That was, up until Pinkie's announcement drew the attention of her and the crowd.

"They're coming they're coming they're coming!" Pinkie Pie practically screamed from the balcony of town hall, hopping up and down, pointing a hoof in the direction where she saw the drakes approach from the direction of the Everfree, silhouetted by the sun. The townsfolk followed her lead and looked onto the direction of the Everfree, some immediately pointing out the silhouette in the sky and more following as Spike and Grigori drew closer. The crowd was now rife with chatter, and as Grigori and Spike became visible from the glare of the sun, hoots and cheers began to sound from the crowd.

XXXXX

"Is all this the doing of Pinkie Pie?" Grigori asked, noticing the extensive party decorations set up about town square as flew withing the boundaries of the town.

"Yeah. What better way to get everypony in one place than a welcoming party?" Spike asked as he rode on the back of Grigori's neck, using the larger drake's main horns as handles. "Alright, now let's circle around a bit for the crowd to get a good look at you." Spike suggested as he tilted Grigori's head slightly to the right. In kind, Grigori began banking in that direction, circling clockwise around town square. He could pick up the collective chatter, 'ooh's and 'awe's of the ponies as he circled the area. After completing one full fly-around, he flew in to land, heading for the stage. Pulling his wings up, he slowed his descent and beat his wings once to stop his momentum, landing on the stage with a good thud.

By now, the crowd quieted down to gentle chattering as Grigori lowered his head to allow Spike to hop off and walk towards Twilight. With Spike and Grigori accounted for, Twilight checked them off on the list and nodded to Mayor Mare, who smiled and walked up to the microphone. After calling for the crowd's silence and clearing her voice, she began speaking.

"Good afternoon, citizens of Ponyville. Thank you all for coming on this fine Saturday afternoon to spend time celebrating the arrival of our new friend. From what Spike and Twilight Sparkle told me, their new friend Grigori has come to Equestria to make friends, and I say what better place for him to start than where friendship is magic? So I say we give him the best welcoming party we've got! Who's with me?" at that, the crowd of ponies erupted in cheers.

Seeing the excitement of the crowd, Grigori looked over to the group, tilting his head in slight confusion. "All of this... for a single person?"

Pinkie reappeared by some arcane means on the drake's head, balancing on all four of her hooves as she leaned down to press her forehead against his "Yep! All for you! Now let's PARTY!" Pinkie exclaimed, jumping up from his head at least ten feet in the air as confetti shot up from the stage, earning another uproar from the crowd of excited ponies.

XXXXX

Pinkie Pie's parties were always fun, no matter what they celebrated, from birthday parties to after-birthday parties to even love for oxygen parties, hosting plants and what they offered. Welcoming parties were just as special.

And Grigori was the hype.

Everypony, whether it be foal, stallion, or mare, essentially crowded around him to bombard him at point blank with questions. Spike and the others tried to hold them off, but it was impossible as the entire town crowded around him.

"Do you dig up gems?" a yellow filly would ask.

"What's being a dragon like?" a mint-colored mare would ask.

"Can you breathe fire?" one small, cream-colored colt asked.

Grigori was locked in place with nowhere to go, as a result. He tried backing up, but the ponies surrounded him, Spike standing at the back of the crowd atop Twilight, shrugging his shoulders as Grigori's gaze rested upon him. He looked to the others for advice, but all he got were apologetic and encouraging looks, so he did the next best thing he could do and answered their onslaught of questions.

"Yes, I do." he said in reply to Peachie Pie.

"Being a large, fire-breathing reptile." he replied to the minty mare.

"Abundant amounts." after he had answered that one question from Pipsqueak, the little colt began to chant; 'Breathe fire!'. Soon enough, the entire crowd began chanting, even Spike and the others, save for Fluttershy, of course.

"Breathe fire! Breathe fire! Breathe fire! Breathe fire!..." there was little to none Grigori could do, so to quiet them, he rose to his hind legs, rearing his head back, chest expanding as he took in all the air his powerful lungs would allow. With this, the ponies quieted down and gave him the much-needed space, looking on in anticipation and excitement. When he deemed the ponies far enough away, a good twenty feet, he released.

An all-powerful jet of flame erupted from Grigori's mouth, firing upward into the sky, darkening the nearby area with its shear brightness. He flamed for about ten seconds before stopping, the nearby area regaining its brightness as Grigori dropped back to all fours, holding his maw open, venting profuse amounts of steam, catching his lost breath as well. He could breathe for much longer, but he stopped short so he still had fuel left.

The ponies were in awe to say the least, sets upon sets of wide, colorful eyes staring back at him. Mouths were agape, and the entire town square was silent. Grigori began to falter, thinking he may have done something wrong, like scaring them, but he looked over to Spike, who had his claw held up, three of his four digits extended. He dropped one... then another... and then...

The town came back to the life as yells, cheers, hoots, and whistles erupted once more about the crowd. Grigori felt the soft rumbling of hooves against the ground, what he assumes how ponies applaud. Grigori let a smirk of accomplishment appear upon his face.

'Perhaps living amongst ponies will not be as difficult as I thought.' Grigori thought. If breathing fire earned him naught but praise, then he was more than confident that he could befriend them.

'Then again, what else would one expect from a dragon?' he thought.

XXXXX

After the moment of glory died down, the party continued without a hitch.

Grigori spent the time being introduced to the populace, many with open arms, some more than a little shy at first. For the most part, the town's opinion on him was positive. Lyra seemed fascinated at the very sight of him, asking countless questions about draconic culture and the like. Roseluck was ecstatic at Grigori admitting his favored flower was the rose. Cheerilee gave a hearty greeting while also helping keep the hyperactive colts and fillies at bay with a well-placed lecture, of which he was thankful for. He was then approached by a pink filly, who attempted a proposal, of which he said he would take into consideration before she was pulled back by her father, Filthy Rich, who greeted him as well.

After greeting all who were eager to meet him, Grigori proceeded on with the party games. There was little else in a party that interested him other than the games, of which, he won against the ponies without effort, such as apple bobbing, pumpkin launching, and hay bale tossing.

There were also a large bowl of gems at the snack table for him and Spike that they wolfed down, but after Grigori got his fill of festivities and the party began to die down into the late evening, he settled next to the stage with Spike leaning against him.

"Had fun?" the little drake asked, looking up to him with a smirk.

Grigori cast him a brief glance before looking back out to the town, watching as ponies sad their goodbyes before heading to their homes. "I did, in fact. More than I would come to think." Spike grinned at that, elbowing him in the side.

"See? Ponies aren't so bad." Spike told him.

"There was never any doubt." Grigori replied, making Spike give a content nod.

"So what's the plan?" Spike asked, looking back up to him.

"Pardon?" Grigori asked, looking down to him, confused.

"You know, now that everypony knows who you are? I mean, it won't take long for all of Equestria to know about you. I mean, there's no reason in coming all this way if you were just gonna go for Ponyville." Spike reasoned.

Grigori looked back up, pondering the thought. He saw fit not to share his goals with Spike just yet, however. "Well, a positive reputation here should prove enough to others that I am no threat. Perhaps I may even greet the royal sisters." Grigori explained.

"Though that's some plan, I'm talking about short term. Something immediate, like a job." Spike clarified.

"... I've no need for one." Grigori told him. The Everfree already provides abundant food and his cave is already a sufficient home.

"I mean one that could help you be a little more well-known. Something that'll make everyone think better of you, you know? Like gem-hunting or bodyguarding. I mean, as far as I know, dragons are good at that kind of stuff." the purple drake reasoned.

"I see your reasoning, but finding gemstones for ponies would likely make me out as a source of riches to most. And as far as being a hired guardian, I would be made out to the highest bidder, both ending negatively for me and others. If I were to have an... occupation, it would be one that benefits all with some equal measure of fraternity." Grigori explained. "Not to mention it would be one that does not take up too much of my time. I've much more to do than focusing entirely on one singular purpose."

Just as he said that, they noticed Big Mac walking by, pulling a kart holding an old, rusted plow. The thing was probably harder to pull in soft soil than itself in a kart over the even dirt of the Ponyville streets.

Just them, a lightbulb clicked into the minds of both dragons as they shared a glance.

XXXXX

A week flew by, and the town was busy.

Grigori was on his way towards the Golden Oak Library, but he after landing in town, he decided to walk the rest of the way to see the fruits of his recent labor.

As he passed by townsfolk, he received happy and friendly greetings, now as per usual, which he returned in kind with simple waving.

"Hey Grigori!" the thick southern accent of Applejack caught his attention as he looked over his shoulder to see the farmpony trot up to his side as he walked.

"Hello, Applejack." came his simple greeting.

"Howdy, Grig. Ah'm guessin' you're off to the library again? How ya been doin' with your new job?" Applejack asked, starting up conversation.

"Yes, and I am met well with orders and requests. The populace seems to take great pleasure in whate'er I may craft for them." the drake replied, focusing his attention forward again.

"Ah can't say ah blame 'em. After all, that new plow ya made for mah brother cuts through the fields like a hot knife through butter. Ah ain't never seen a plow workin' as good as that. What's your secret?" Applejack asked, leaning in, curious.

"There is no secret to my methods. What a pony can craft with wet clay, I can craft just as easy with molten metal." Grigori explained. "Drakes are naturally resistant to heat." he added. "But blacksmithing aside, my reputation is growing. In a positive way, I might add."

Applejack grinned at that. "Oh, ah see." she said, growing a casual look, looking off into the streets. "So any mares in town ya have your eye on?"

The shear bluntness and directness of the question almost made the crimson drake trip. "What do you mean by that?" he half asked, half demanded, and that only made the farmpony chuckle.

"Oh c'mon, ya didn't see all the friendly looks some of the mares gave ya? I thought ya might be more experienced in that." Applejack said.

"I am a dragon, Applejack. Us dragons are experienced in the necessary skills in life, such as hunting, gathering, and our natural abilities. I am ill-experienced in love and friendship." Grigori clarified.

"Aww, don't sweat it, Grigori!" Applejack assured, giving him a nice, hard pat on the shoulder, which he barely felt. "You'll have that special someone in time!" Applejack made sure to say 'someone' instead of 'somepony', just in case.

"As you say." Grigori concluded, focusing ahead again. "We are here." Grigori announced, but took notice of the golden chariot and the two solar guards waiting just outside of the Golden Oaks Library. Tilting his head in curiosity, Grigori walked in to see what was up, Applejack following right behind. As Grigori approached, the guards restraightened their postures, feeling apparent unease at the large drake's presence. Seeing this, Applejack stepped up to ease the tension.

"Howdy, you two. Ah take it the princess is in the library?" Applejack asked, looking between them.

The guard on the right seemed to ease up first, so he spoke up. "Yes, Miss Apple. The princess is awaiting you and your friend." the guard explained, motioning with his spear towards Grigori, who narrowed his gaze at the guard at the gesture, making him quiver slightly. Picking up on the unintentional threat, the guardpony hastily straightened his spear again, but if one looked closely, they could see that his forelimb was shaking.

Applejack seemed to not notice or nit care as she brightened up again. "Well, ah suggest we don't keep 'er waitin'. C'mon, Grigori." Applejack said as she opened the door, Grigori following her in, ducking his head as he entered. As soon as the doors closed behind him, both guards breathed a long sigh of relief.

XXXXX

Walking inside, Applejack and Grigori noticed the princess and the rest of the mares gathered in a circle, the princess and Rarity being the ones to lay down on cushions.

Applejack walked up, joining the circle as she greeted the group. Celestia, after catching an eyeful of the drake, turned her gaze to Twilight. "So Twilight, is this Grigori?" the princess asked, standing up from her cushion. The nod from the fellow princess have the sun goddess incentive to walk over to the drake, who stayed right where he was. But even though he was standing in the presence of the very all-powerful goddess that raises and sets the sun that gave all life, he felt an off sense of comfort in her.

"Hello, Grigori." she began. "Twilight and her friends have told me a lot about you. And I must say; I'm impressed."

Grigori nodded respectfully at the compliment. "I aim for nothing less. Tis truly an honor to see you in all of your glory." Grigori replied.

"The honor is all mine." Celestia's smile broadened. "I hear you've come to Equestria to make friends. If so, I'll gladly be yours." Celestia stated, offering a foreleg to shake.

Grigori accepted the offer without the slightest hesitation. "Thank you, princess of the sun." he shook once before letting her go. "But compliments, honor, and friendship aside, there is aught I've to discuss with you, if it is no bother." Grigori told her, his ultimate goal still fresh in his mind.

Celestia gave a simple nod. "Then let's discuss over a hot cup of tea." Celestia suggested before heading back over to the girls to rejoin the circle, picking up her cup of tea. She motioned him over, and so Grigori walked in to sit across from her, laying down in sphinx position between Twilight and Applejack.

With all comfortable, Celestia spoke up again. "So what is it you want to talk to me about?"

With no regrets, Grigori gave his answer. "I came to Equestria to see whether or not our kinds may coexist."

Author's Note:

Alright guys, that's the next chapter. The thing holding me back was my lack of mapping. I don't remember if I clarified this before, but mapping is the key to stopping writer's block.

Anyway, I don't have much to say now, so I hope you all enjoyed, and may you feast on the blood of your enemies.

Till next time.