• ...
6
 57
 4,709

Chapter 2


Equestria, 301 years prior to Princess Luna's freedom from Nightmare Moon, and 1 year prior to the Battle of Stalliongrad

~~~~~

The dark blue colt smirked coyly as he admired his reflection the window of the Coltstock bakery. His light brown tunic, the matching peaked cap atop his head, the leather strap across his chest in a bandolier fashion... He looked the part of being the head of the village's Pony Party chapter. He ran a hoof through his medium length brown mane before adjusting the armband on his left foreleg.

“I'll need a new one soon...” he thought, noticing the edges were fraying in a few places.

It didn't matter, so long as the symbol was still intact. That was the only important thing. The colt turned from the shop window and continued down the cobblestone path that made up the town's main street, greeting any pony he met in a friendly manner. He soon reached his destination, the local Party headquarters.

“Morning gents.” He said in his aged voice as he entered the small one room building. The other three ponies in the room answered in a similar fashion.

“Morning Logan.” An orange unicorn said from one of the five desks.

A steaming cup of coffee was levitating in front of him, with an tangerine tinted field of magic around it. His cutie-mark was that of a few chestnuts.

“Morning Chester.” The elder earth pony replied with a nod.

He made his way over to his desk, which sat against the back wall of the building, under a fairly large banner sporting the same insignia which was on his armband. The insignia was that of the Reichsmare, an alicorn with spread wings stood atop a jewel encrusted circle which contained an eight pronged sun. All of the prongs were curved to the alicorn's left; the same direction in which the it was looking. Four of the prongs were larger than the rest.

“So, anything new?”

“Yea, a letter on your desk.”

Logan looked down to his desk, seeing that there was a sheet of paper with the word 'URGENT’ stamped across the top in big red lettering.

“What's this?”

“It was there this morning when we all got here. Must have arrived during the night via magic.” a gray Pegasus called from the other side of the room before going back to eating his breakfast of muffins.

“What is it, Mr. Logan?” asked a young earth pony; the boy couldn't have been more than nineteen years of age.

“Hm, a letter from Canterlot. Seems were are to expect a visitor and his escort sometime this morning.” Logan said, reading the letter over a few times.

Before he could go on, there was a knock at the door.

“Wonder if that's them. Sandy, answer the door.” The tan teen with the pale and shovel cutie mark nodded before rushing to the door of Party Headquarters, adjusting the light brown kepi atop his head before opening the entrance.

The last thing any of the Party members expected to see at the door was a pair of ponies clad in jet black uniforms, but such a pair stood right in the doorway. The Pegasus of the two stepped through the door and past Sandy, his unicorn companion trotting in right behind him. He looked around with an emotionless gaze, inspecting the Party building. While the two mystery ponies stood just inside the door, the Party members got a good look at their uniforms; solid black tunics with two breast pockets, complimented by strange patches on the sleeves and high backed collars. Their peaked caps bore the Reichsmare like their armbands, with the addition of a skull and crossbones pinned just above the bill.

“Can I help you, gentlemen?” Logan asked quizzically, he didn't know what to make of their uniforms.

They weren't party uniforms, that was for sure....

“Are you Political Officer Logan?” The brick red Pegasus inquired, eying the blue pony's cutie mark that was a stack of logs.

“Yes, yes I am. Who wants to know?”

“I am Sergeant Schultz, you should have received a letter concerning my arrival.” As he spoke, the airborne pony pointed out the single green stripes sewn onto his left and right sleeves at the knee.

“Yes, I only just got into the office, and-”

“How old are you, Political Officer?”

“I'm fifty-five, but I don't see how-”

“Too old to be affected,” The Sergeant said to the unicorn.

The other pony, a Sergeant as well, nodded and used his magic to pull a pen and pad from his breast pockets. He jotted several notes down.

“How old are the rest of you?”

“Thirty-four.” Answered the gray pegasus.

“Twenty-six.” Added Chester.

“Nineteen.” Chimed in Sandy.

“The rest of you qualify,” The red pony informed, glancing over them once more. He looked to the gray Pegasus. “Name and cutie-mark.”

“Dopy, and my mark is a chef's hat. I run the bakery in town.”

“Can you fly?”

“You bet I can! Best in town!”

Chester jumped into the conversation with “That's because you're the only Pegasus in town.”

Dopy attempted to say something, but couldn't think of a witty enough comeback. Instead, he just mumbled under his breath and shuffled his hooves. Schultz bore the same blank look as he let forth an annoyed sigh.

“Cook...” he said to the unicorn.

“I'm sorry, but what's all this about?” Logan demanded, his temper rising.

After all, these two ponies just showed up last minute and began asking random questions.

“Where are you from? Who sent you?”

“I was sent from Canterlot, though I am personally from somewhere other than Equestria. As for my purpose in visiting your little hamlet of Coltstock, it is the drafting of colts between the ages of eighteen and forty for the military.”

“What military?”

“If you had read ze letter, you vould know.” The unicorn who had remained silent up until now gave Logan an exasperated look. His accent was... alien to the Equestrian ponies in the room, save for Logan. It reminded him of his late wife's accent somewhat. The looks the unicorn received reflected why he hadn't spoken when he first arrived. Schultz continued on from there.

“As you all know, and from what myself and my Kameraden have been informed, relations with the Stallionists have been... tense, to say the least. The Royal Equestrian Guard can barely keep Celestia, Canterlot, and the surrounding area, secure let alone all of Equestria. If the rumors are true about Stalion building up his own military might, then Equestria needs a force worthy of protecting it. It is just such a force that Princess Celestia herself has decided be formed.”

The Pony Party members were now giving the two visitors strange looks as if they were both crazy. They all knew how things were between Equestria and the Socialist Earth Pony Worker's Union, but no pony gave any thought to the two nations going to war.

“You can't be serious,” Logan interjected.

“As serious as a cutie-mark, Mr. Logan. Now, if you and your men will aid us in gathering up the appropriately aged colts of this town, I am to have them all to the railroad crossing a few miles West of here within six hours, and it will take a few hours to gather every pony and march them there to meet with our train.” The Pegasus Sergeant stood there for a few moments, staring at the other ponies in the room.

“Now!” He ordered sternly, his voice showing emotion for the first time that morning.

The colts rushed out of the building, doing as they were ordered.

While his friends began to knock at doors and gather any colt they could find, Logan rushed for his home that sat just on the edge of town. When he galloped into the yard, the earth pony found his son busy painting a sign for the logging business the two ran together. The white earth pony turned to face his father when he heard the sound of hooves, smiling, a paintbrush in his mouth. Paint dripped from the bristles and onto the ground, staining the green grass white.

“Hey dad, you're home early. I was just putting a fresh coat of paint on the sign. I- What's wrong?” The colt noticed his father was out of breath from the run and wearing quite adistraught look.

“D-Draft...Y-You...In age group...”

“What?”

“I'm not sure, b-but these two ponies showed up, talking about a draft for a newly formed military. All colts between eighteen and forty are being pressed into service.”

“Wait, you don't mean...?”

“Yes, Schmeisser, you're going to have to go with them.”

The twenty year old colt stood in silence for a few moments, staring at the ground. His face was twisted in deep thought as he turned things over in his mind. Logan trotted up to his only child, putting a leg around him, looking into his light blue eyes. “You going to be okay, son?”

“Okay? This is great!”

“What?” This was obviously not the reaction the logging pony had expected from his son. “How is this great? You could get hurt!”

“I know that, but it's great because I might finally get my cutie-mark!” the youngster exclaimed, motioning towards his flank that was void of said mark. Throughout his entire life, Schmeisser had never found what he was good at, and thus had never found his cutie-mark. Now, he had another opportunity to gain it!

“Son, listen to me. If this military will be anything like the Royal Equestrian Guard, it's going to be tough. I should know, having-”

“I know, Dad, you served in the Princess's guard for seventeen years. Then you met mom, you two moved here, started the logging business, had me, and...” Schmeisser stopped short, not wanting to go on.

Logan nodded sadly, knowing what he meant. His wife and Schmeisser's mother, Faust, had died giving birth. The boy didn't know much of his mom, but he'd been told she was very caring and a wonderful singer.

“Come inside, I'll help you pack.”

After a very quick run through Schmeisser's wardrobe, the white pony stood by the door with a set of light saddlebags. The bags held a few work shirts, a small blanket, a loaf of bread for the trip, and some paper and pens for writing letters. Logan had disappeared into his study, saying he had something for his son. He returned not too much later, a leather bound book in his mouth. He nuzzled open his son's bags and slipped it in. He was given a quizzical look by his son.

“It's a journal. To keep you occupied. You remember how I taught you to write with your mouth?”

“Don't bite down too hard or swallow the pencil.”

“Good boy. Keep practicing so you won't have to get a unicorn to help you.”

“Maybe I can get good enough so unicorns ask me for help.” Schmeisser chuckled.

“That's the spirit.” his father rasped, smiling sombrely. “Keep your spirits up and you'll do fine.”

The two had begun walking back towards town; the deadline for the round up nearing. They remained quiet most of the way, just enjoying the time with one another while it lasted. When the town square came into view, every colt that was of age was standing around the two ponies from earlier, both still clad in black. Schultz, the Pegasus, was standing on a wooden crate while his unicorn companion stood next to him. The brick red pony on the makeshift podium was shouting out to the crowd of thirty or so colts.

“EVERPONY, FORM UP! TWO FILES! MOVE IT, SCHNELL!”

“What?” A yellow unicorn asked.

“QUICKLY!” The sergeant bellowed back, just as loud.

The unicorn jumped from being yelled. Among those in the forming ranks of ponies were all of the Pony Party officials, though they were all out of uniform now, save for their caps. The three were at the front.

“Glad to see you could join us Logan!” Chester called jokingly.

The dark blue pony paid him no mind, turning back to his son.

“Word of advice.” Logan whispered in a hushed voice. “Do not draw unwanted or unneeded attention to yourself during training. It will bring trouble. You understand me?”

“Yes, sir.” He nodded, taking in every little word. “I'll keep my head down and do as I am told.”

“Good boy... And please, stay safe, son. You're all I have left.” Logan then threw both his forelegs around his son's neck, hugging him close, choking out his words. Schmeisser didn't know what to say, so he returned the hug with one leg.

“I will, dad.”

“How touching, wouldn't you agree, Sergeant?” The brick red Pegasus said dryly.

His unicorn escort merely nodded. The two shrugged off the dirty look they were given.

“If you will be so kind as to fall in up front next to Mr. Sandy, Mr. Schmeisser, we will be on our way. We have a train to catch.”

Doing as he was told, Schmeisser nodded as he took his place in the formation. Sandy gave him a reassuring smile.

“Don't worry Shmy, we'll stick together, watch out for one another. Deal?” Sandy held up a hoof to his friend.

“Deal.” The two high-hoofed before being put in check by a bit of agitated throat clearing by a certain pony in black.

“Forward!” Schultz looked back to make sure every pony was in formation. “March!”

The formation of colts started off, heading out of town via the cobblestone street that eventually would turn to dirt a mile or so out. Mare, fillies, and those who were staying behind lined the street, waving and watching their colts march off to an uncertain fate. A few mares were crying as their husbands or sons passed them. While the townsfolk were in a gloomy mood, those ponies who were now enlisted were smiling. They were excited. They were going on an adventure to parts of Equestria they'd never been to! Some had never left the region or even town before!

As they continued on out of town, conversations began to spark between friends and neighbors. The two black clad ponies leading the formation didn't seem to care, talking between one another in a language no one seemed to grasp. While every pony was concerned with passing the time, Schmeisser took one last look back to his home; all ready homesick.

He caught sight of his father just at the edge of the village proper, watching them go. The young colt felt a twinge of guilt and longing in his heart. A longing to be out in the woods with his dad, cutting down trees and sawing them into smaller logs. A longing to be a foal again, rolling around in a pile of wood shavings while his father tried to scorn him while laughing at the site. The white pony got so caught up in his thoughts, he was almost trampled by those behind him. A quick jab to the flank by the unicorn to his rear brought him back to earth.

~~~~~

The train ride to wherever they were headed had so far been uneventful, to say the least. The parade of colts had arrived at a point where the dirt road they had been on met with a set of railroad tracks, only five miles outside of town. The train arrived not even a quarter of an hour after the group had, though had been seen Schultz muttering that they could have arrived earlier.

The locomotive wasn't being pulled by a team of colts like it usually was, but was actually being used properly. Steam and smoke poured from the engine, bringing about fits of hacking and coughs from the ponies standing alongside the tracks. It was obvious as to why the train wasn't being pulled by a team of colts, there had to be at least twenty passenger cars; all loaded with colts headed for the same destination.

“I thought being a soldier would be more exciting than this.” Sandy was sitting on the same bench as Schmeisser, staring through the window; looking out at the flat green plains.

He was sitting with all four hooves on the bench, seeming as though he had fallen back onto his rear, instead of having purposefully sat in such a style after jumping onto the wooden seat.

“From what my dad's told me, training will be a rough experience.” Schmeisser was sitting in a similar fashion, as were most of the other colts in the train car.

They were in the second car from the front, the forward car being occupied by the two Sergeants and other ponies clad in similar uniforms. No pony was allowed to go through the door to the first car. The only time the door opened, was when one of the black uniformed ponies came out to check upon the recruits.

“It can't be that bad. Not like we'll actually have to fight, eh?”

“Yea, I'm sure the Princess will settle things before we're even half way through training.”

“How long have we been on this foul train?”

“A few hours, I think. You fell asleep about an hour after we boarded.”

“Did I?” Sandy asked, shocked; he couldn't recall falling asleep or waking up.

“Yea. A unicorn from Canterlot turned your mane a different color for a bit. Shocker the laughter didn't wake you.” Schmeisser said with a grin.

“What color?”

“Hot pink.”

“Think I'll be jumping from the train now.”

Before the white pony could reply, the door to the front car slid open. A procession of uniformed Pegasi, unicorns, and earth ponies filed out. Some wore the same rank patches as Schultz and his unicorn friend, others wore different ones. A few had nothing on their sleeves at all.

As the last of the soldiers slid the rear door to the other cars shut, only three black clad colts remained standing up front. A steel gray earth pony and two orange unicorns. The unicorns bore no rank patches, while the earth pony's sleeves held a patch that seemed different from all the others. The patch was that of three dark green stripes, stacked upon one another, with a pair of crossed apple leaves atop the verdant bands.

“Gentlecolts.” The officer began. “I am Captain Sturm of the Storm Stallions. All of the uniforms colts you have encountered today are soldiers in the SS. As of now, you are all Privates in the newly formed military of Equestria, the Maremacht. All 100 members of the SS are currently higher ranking than you, even Privates like the ones standing next to me.” Sturm gestured to the two unicorns that flanked him. “Any questions so far?” A unicorn in the back raised his hoof.

“Stand and state your name and question,” The Captain called.

“My name is Forty, er, Private Forty,” The colt answered, standing from his seat. “I was just wondering where we were going, and when we were going to arrive.”

“Good question, Private. Ve are headed to Camp Perfection, where you all will be trained to be soldiers. You will be joined by ponies from all around Equestria, though some of the other recruits will be sent to one of the other four camps in this area. You will be trained by both members of the SS and the Royal Equestrian Guard. As for arrival, within the next half hour. Any other questions?”

Sandy raised a hoof, waiting to be acknowledge by the Captain. When he was, he stood quickly.

“Private Sandy, sir. My question is about you.” The tanned colt stood firm, but trembled slightly from the look he received from the three ponies standing in front of him.

“What is it, Private?”

“Where are you all from, sir? It's obvious none of you are from Equestria, as none of us can make since of your accent.” Sandy regretted asking the question, for as soon as the last word was out of his mouth, he was confronted by an angry looking Captain Sturm.

The non-Equestrian colt was staring daggers with his steel gray eyes that matched his mane and coat.

“You have a problem with meine accent, Private?” Sturm was laying the accent on thick now, no longer holding it back.

He also started to say a few words no pony in the care understood, except for the two SS Privates still standing by the door. The two looked fit to burst with laughter as they watched the frightened faces of the recruits.

“Gehe zu saugen ein Einhorn Horn, Maden,” The Captain spat.

“Um, yes, sir?” Sandy replied, afraid to say anything else.

That sent the two Privates reeling with laughter. They were quickly silenced by a glare from their superior. Sandy sank back into his seat as the foreign colt trotted back to the front. Captain Sturm didn't ask if there were any more questions.

An engineer pony from the train’s front poked his head through the door.

“We're almost there Captain. Not even three minutes.” The colt then disappeared back to the locomotive before Sturm could reply.

“Gather your belongings!” The Captain yelled. “Move it!”

Every pony in the train car rushed to gather their saddlebags from the racks above their seats, checking to make sure everything was where it should be. The two SS Privates shoved through the crowd and out the back door, going to warn the other train cars' passengers of their imminent arrival. Schmeisser looked out the window and began to notice the landscape flatten out for miles. They must have been in the middle of the Equestrian Plains, basically the middle of nowhere.

A minute or so later, the train slowed to a crawl as it passed through a gateway within a wall of barbed wire fence. Every pony looked out the windows to catch a glimpse at the grim barrier that seemed to extend out to the horizon, as well as the Royal Guards at the entrance they were passing through. The train continued on for another minute before coming to a stop at a makeshift railway platform. Looking from the train car windows, the camp seemed to be nothing more than row upon row of wooden barracks, with a few larger buildings constructed from wood and steel. Dirt roads were carved through the uniformly placed buildings, while hastily crafted road signs docked the corners of intersections.

“This isn't a site seeing tour, kiddies! Off the train, move it!” Sturm yelled.

A few SS ponies seemed to appear from nowhere and began to shove the other colts from the car, yelling at them in a similar fashion as the Captain. All along the train, the same scene was playing out as the fresh recruits were shoved out into the heat.

Once every pony was off the train, the engine backed away, leaving its passengers confused. The Storm Stallions from the train herded the conscripted colts into a large group, forming them up as best they could. There had to be nearly five hundred of them. Schmeisser found it hard to believe that that many ponies had fit into the train.

“What are we doing?” Some pony yelled from amidst the crowd.

“Yea, why are we here?” Another colt added.

This set the entire formation off, with questions being yelled at the Storm Stallions that were standing around the group. No answer was supplied, of course. That was, until Captain Sturm stepped atop a makeshift stage that had been erected out of a few crates and a sheet of plywood.

“Silence!” The draftees paid the officer no attention.

He yelled three more times, even threatening to stomp their cutie-marks into the dirt, but this achieved nothing. The soldiers attempted to quell the mob lest it become violent, but were unable to do anything useful. It seemed as if there was going to be a riot between the native Equestrians and their foreign counterparts, until...

TAT-TAT-TAT!

Silence fell over the formation as the ponies looked for the source of the strange noise. They turned their attention to the platform, where a Storm Stallion stood next to Captain Sturm, with a strange looking harness on him. There was a small, metal barrel poking out from the right side of the harness, a thin wisp of pearly white smoke rising from its tip.

“Welcome to hell,” The Captain yelled, glowering at his recruits.

~~~~~

Cheap florescent lights buzzed as they hung from the ceiling of the mess hall; the newly arrived ponies filing into the hall. Every pony had just had their tail and mane buzzed short, and had also been issued simple field gray uniforms. The uniforms were basic tunics like those the Storm Stallions wore, just a different color. Each colt had also been given the choice of headgear;: a field or garrison cap. Schmeisser thought Sandy looked funny with the steeple like garrison cap tilted at a jaunty angle atop his head.

“I think it looks nice.” The pale and shovel cutie-marked colt snorted, attempting to end the conversation as the two took a seat at one of the many long, wooden tables in the dining hall.

“Keep telling yourself that.” His friend laughed.

The blank flank had gone with the more simple field cap. He looked around the large building and spotted a stage on which a podium stood. A banner was stung across the top of the platform, reading “Don’t be stupid, be a smarty! Come and join the Pony Party!”

“Wish we had something like that back at Party Headquarters in town.” Sandy gave the banner a jealous look. “Why did they herd us in here?”

“I heard one of the SS colts saying something about a welcome speech being given by some pony from the Propaganda Corps, whatever that is.”

At that moment, the lights in the hall dimmed slightly, leaving only the stage with proper lighting. From the double kitchen doors rushed about ten Storm Stallions, all wearing the same strange harness as the one from earlier. Four stood atop the stage, two on either side of the podium, while the remainder stood between the platform and recruits. They all wore the same jet black uniform and helmets.

“Wonder who all the fuss is for,” Sandy whispered to no pony in particular.

His question was answered not a moment later, as the doors opened once again, this time for a single unicorn.

The light brown unicorn was obviously larger than the average pony, much larger. Not nearly as large as Princess Celestia, but he was still big. He wore a standard SS uniform, with the exception of a few additions. Under the tunic, he wore a white dress shirt and tie, rather than a standard white undershirt. A Party armband was on his left foreleg, while two miniature Reichsmares were pinned to his collar, flanking his neck. He donned a standard peaked cap, the major difference being a target looking symbol pinned above the bill, below the Reichsmare. The red, white, and blue target was a long way from the skull and cross bones that other Storm Stallion Officers had on their caps.

As the colt passed, all the recruits were given a good look at the cutie-mark that adorned his flanks. A pair of loudspeakers atop a metal structure blaring out propaganda seemed to scream that this pony belonged in the Propaganda Corps. His mane and tail were a light black, matching his tan coat. He finally made it up the stage, taking his place behind the podium. When he looked up, giving every pony a first look at his face, all the newly drafted troops jumped in surprise. The unicorn’s face bore a creepy smile, smirk combination, giving him the impression of having just heard a perverted joke.

“Gentlecolts,” He began, his voice carrying that strange, alien accent. “Velcome to Camp Perfection. I am Propaganda Minister Blitz Stronghoof. I am pleased to tell you all, that you have just been drafted into the greatest force in Equestrian history. As soldiers in ze Maremacht, you shall experience ze joy of serving Princess Celestia by destroying those barbarians that seek to destroy our vay of life. I speak, of course, of the Stallionists. “ The minister paused to catch his breath before continuing on with his speech. “They say that earth ponies are treated like dirt under Equestrian rule, while unicorns rake in ze spoils of the hard, manual labor performed by the non-magic colts and fillies. Stallionists will tell you zat unicorns in Equestria do nothing but sit back, eating their fill, smoking fancy cigars, while sending out Pegasus ponies to do their dirty work. Well, my friends, I am here to tell you that all that propaganda that is churned out by Josef Stallion and his cronies... IS NOTHING BUT A PILE OF LIES AND MANURE!”

Every pony in the audience who had been falling asleep at this point of the speech was immediately hooked and woke up as if injected with pure caffeine. Blitz ran his eyes over the crowed before him, judging the colts in his audience. When he was satisfied that they were all paying him attention, he continued.

“Ze Stallionists seek to destroy our vay of life, here in Equestria! They seek to overthrow our glorious Princess und replace her with a merciless dictator who vill show no pity to anypony at all! All ready, Equestrian villages on the border vith Stallion’s separatist regime have fallen to his serpent’s ways. Your purpose in being here is to help free those who have fallen into Stallion’s clutches und bring them back to a life of freedom under Equestrian rule!”

Stronghoof slammed his steel horseshoed hooves down onto the podium, a crack appearing down the center of it. He was met by thunderous applause from the colts in gray before him. All the Pegasus ponies fluttered just above head level, whistling and clopping. One of the SS ponies moved to halt the racket, but was halted by his superior.

“Leave them, Sergeant.” Propaganda Minister Blitz’s face had returned to its eerie looking grin from the seriousness he had been exhibiting just a moment ago.

“But, sir....” The earth pony in the combat harness made to protest, but was drowned out by the ongoing applause that Blitz had revived by shouting “GLORY TO EQUESTRIA!” The Maremacht colts took up the cry, pounding on the tables and picking up a rhythm.

“Let them enjoy the time being. For now, BRING OUT THE PIE!” At his words, twenty or so mares emerged from the kitchen doors with carts piled high with apple pies, while some had carts holding mugs of apple cider.

Blitz watched as the recruits began to enjoy themselves, drinking and eating. He turned back to the SS Sergeant.

“Give them a few hours, allow them to pass out where they stand. Ve’ll hose them off in the morning for their first day of training.”

“Jawohl, Herr Propaganda Minister.” Saluting, the SS escort dispersed, taking places throughout the mess hall along the walls.

The tan unicorn headed through the throng of draftees, laughing at their comments and patting a few of them on the back, making them comfortable. He breathed a sigh of relief as he entered the kitchen.

“You’ve outdone yourself again, Blitz.” A deep voice called from a table in a dark corner.

“Thank you, Sky Marshal. Everything is best with pie.” The large unicorn chuckled at himself.

“Ja, that is true at times,” The voice of the Sky Marshal replied. “Don’t you agree, Field Marshal?”

“You’ve built up their moral, Blitz.” Another voice answered, this one not nearly as deep.

“That’s my job.”

“...Und it is mine to tear it down.”