• Published 9th Mar 2012
  • 980 Views, 4 Comments

Somewhere Special - Anonympony



Twilight becomes subject to never ending terrors of her own mind.

  • ...
2
 4
 980

Chapter 1

Somewhere Special
by Anonympony

Chapter 1

“Please stop laughing at me."

The laughter was but a hushed whisper, yet still filling the empty black abyss. Voices were heard, but not seen. In the centre of it all lay a unicorn filly, wrapping herself in her tail, her legs tucked tightly beneath her. Her dark purple coat almost seemed to seep into the darkness that surrounded her.

“Please. Stop laughing at me.”

The laughter grew louder, the distinct sound of schoolfoals echoed around the filly. She curled up tighter, covering her head with her tiny hooves. Her eyes began to well up, the blackness growing colder.

“Please stop laughing at me!”

The filly raised her head along with her voice. Her horn began to glow, the light purple aura providing a small amount of light. She peered into the illumination. The faint outlines of her past peers took shape, all staring at her. Their bodies were black, but their eyes were red, bright as fire. They moved in unison, all laughing louder at the defenceless unicorn. She rose up, standing on the endless void underneath her. She aimed her horn at the shadows, trying to eradicate them. Her horn only produced a few sparks before going dead. The laughter increased once again, now almost deafening. The filly stared at her horn in disappointment as it turned a pale purple. She tried harder and harder to get a spark, but it wouldn't start back up. She knelt back down, lowering her head and succumbing to the embrace of the shadows.

But it soon came back to life, producing a large purple glow, encompassing the foal in her own new found magic. The figures backed away, shielding themselves from the blinding light and the laughter had stopped. The unicorn felt empowered. She began to float, the endless void turning into a familiar sight. Her bed. The filly became excited, her sadness washed away with tears of joy. But the image began to fleet, a black mist encompassing it. It was the void once again. The glow let go of the purple unicorn, and she feel into the deep abyss. The laughter began once again. The foal fell deeper and deeper as the laughter turned to chanting.

“Twilight! Hahaha! Twilight! Hahaha!” The voices grew louder and louder, almost shouting. The filly could feel a small pressure began to poke into her side. She began to scream, her tears flying before her as the abyss took her at a high speed.

“Twilight! Twilight!”

She woke up. The unicorn sat up and began gasping, wiping tears of terror from her eyes, sweating pouring from her brow. Her frantic gaze met Spike, her dragon assistant, who was standing at her bedside. He looked at her with deep concern, his brilliant green and purple scales lit up by a bedside lamp.

“Twilight, you gotta calm down!” he said, snapping his claws. Twilight looked around, getting her bearings. She was home. She was laying in her bed, surrounded by her various books that she’d collected over the years. The bookshelves that lined her tree home towered over the unicorn. She came to grips with where she was, calming down and returning her breathing to normal. Her assistant crawled onto her bed, embracing the panicked pony.

“That dream again, huh?” he said, rubbing his claw along her back. It scratched her slightly, but it was comforting all the same. Twilight nodded her head, tears falling from her face. Spike looked at her,trying to muster what was going in Twilight’s mind. Her face fell blank, staring at her bedsheets. They were purple, much like her. They had been with her since she was sent off to learn under the guide of Princess Celestia. But now they are nothing more than cloth.

“Twilight, are you okay? You seem...different. All these nightmares and screaming in the middle of the night. It's scaring me.”

The unicorn did not answer. She simply swung her hind legs across the bed and stood on all fours. She began to trot out of the bedroom, Spike watching her actions carefully. Twilight opened the bedroom door with her magic, holding the spell as she looked back at Spike.

“Don’t follow me” she commanded. Spike gave a queer look, his head tilting to one side. He stood on the bedspread, about to protest, but the door had shut with gusto, shaking the bedroom the baby dragon was now alone in. He slowly crept back to his bed, a small wicker basket that was lined with his beloved baby blue blanket. He curled up in its warmth, poking his head and watching the door to see if Twilight would return. She didn’t.

Twilight left her hollowed tree home and made her way through the centre of Ponyville, Luna’s moonlight guiding her. Twilight wasn’t sure how late it was, but she didn’t care. She passed by her friends’ houses. She trotted up to Sugarcube Corner, home of her friend Pinkie Pie. She peered through the windows of the shop. It was dark, the bright packaging of the various sweets dulled in colour. The store was void of any life.

She trotted on, arriving at Rarity’s Carousel Boutique. Its intricate design leads most everypony to it, but Twilight wasn't drawn in by the building’s stunning beauty. Even in moonlight, the porcelain walls that protected the inside shone brightly. Twilight, again, peered into the window. Nothing. Rarity had packed up a majority of her supplies, leaving the dress forms to lurk amongst themselves. Even these pony-like figures failed to provide the life that Twilight was now desperately trying to find. She turned away from the window and trotted further on, soon reaching the end of the paved road that lead to Ponyville. Twilight was now in the elements, surrounded by nature. She quickened her pace, trotting quicker and quicker, leading up to a canter, and then a full gallop. Her hooves kicked up dust in their wake, leaving a cloud behind her. She had a set course.

The Everfree forest.