• Published 11th Apr 2012
  • 1,231 Views, 9 Comments

Physics of MLP:FiM - n



A journey through the system that is Equestria

  • ...
 9
 1,231

Document One

Disclaimer stuff
I don't own My Little Pony.
My Little Pony belongs to Hasbro.
My editors troll me on a regular basis so if there are any errors, I blame them.



I am a scientist of sorts. Recent findings have lead me to discover the human world. It is a strange place. Ironically, the humans too have constructed their own microcosms. What you are about to read is a document that attempts to explain the rules of one of these microcosms. There should be many more to be found. Before you read it, I must warn you that by reading it, you may end up in danger.


Physics of Pinkie Pie

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic TM is a television show intended toward young female audiences. Yet it soon gained a cult following of young adult males just like many other of Lauren Faust’s creations. These fans termed themselves bronies as a portmanteau between bro, short for brother, but loaded with various connotations and pony. They soon created a large amount of media related to the show, causing lots of grief around the world as many people could not accept the fact that males could like My Little Pony due to the nature of the show, as well as the poor ratings previous incarnations of it had garnered.

There have already been attempts to discover the true physics of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic TM. Although these attempts are somewhat of a joke (citing arbitrary terms like dark matter), they pose a valid question. However, due to the system in which the universe runs, it is difficult to explain the complexities of the universe's physical nature. Therefore, this paper focuses on one character in the universe, although in a simplified format so that nonbronies may also understand the basis for such a strange show.

The most prominent anomaly in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic TM is Pinkie Pie. Unfortunately, the main explanation for her various activities is just that Pinkie Pie is being Pinkie Pie. One of the most intelligent characters in the show, Twilight Sparkle, cannot gain a grasp onto how Pinkie Pie is able to seemingly defy the laws of physics. These inconsistencies continue in season two, where Pinkie Pie is shown displaying similar properties.

In the episode Over a Barrel, Pinkie Pie traverses universes and breaks the fourth wall and stretches out a portal of sorts. Trans-universe travel requires a large amount of energy in order to escape the gravity well. Also, Pinkie Pie shows signs of mass generation. In various segments she is shown in an expanded state. This expansion includes appendages, such as tongues, or extra limb growth as when counting in A Friend in Deed. The energy needed to create such mass is dictated by e=mc^2, where c is the speed of light. Since the speed of light is high, the ratio between the two is similarly high. This makes the various activities Pinkie does highly improbable.

It is known that Pinkie Pie consumes a large amount of sugar. Note that sugar contains a large amount of energy. However, unless this mass is directly converted to energy, it is still highly unlikely that Pinkie Pie can harness the resulting energy to perform the feats that she does. While the sugar could explain her expansion since it is added mass, and she may just be expanding volume, it is nonetheless unlikely. If Pinkie Pie is indeed expanding volume, then her skin is most likely a non-organic substance such as rubber. Also, normal chemical energy conversion still does not suffice for inter-dimensional travel. This argument also applies for the energy provided by the Elements of Harmony, since in some cases, Pinkie Pie is not laughing. Pinkie Pie is also shown to be extremely fast, although this could be due to exercise, since the athletic ponies can achieve the same speed.

Most likely, Pinkie Pie can actually convert the food she consumes into energy directly. However, this theory does have its share of problems. Converting raw energy back into matter, and specific types of atoms and molecules at that, is a hard task to accomplish. One factor in this is that Pinkie Pie has an extreme amount of intuition. Another solution is that Pinkie Pie has some sort of space-time travel abilities, since magic does exist in the My Little Pony universe although earth ponies cannot use it with very rare exceptions. It is also possible that the cartoon, despite being (mostly) physically accurate in other regards, is campaigning against reality. This could also be some strange government conspiracy that the government is well known for.

Unfortunately, the mechanism of Pinkie Pie’s physical anomalies is unknown. In fact, the only sound explanation remains that Pinkie Pie is being Pinkie Pie. There is not enough information to determine much more. It appears that Pinkie Pie has a strong mechanism which functions to prevent knowledge of Pinkie Pie’s actual mechanisms. This is showcased in Feeling Pinkie Keen. When Twilight Sparkle tries to investigate the source of Pinkie Pie's almighty power, she is subjected to a variety of potentially lethal experiences such as pianos falling from the sky and getting by a large swarm of bees. Although ponies are probably more resistant to bee stings, it is still biologically improbable to survive getting stung by each bee in a swarm. Now excuse me while I take some precautionary measures to avoid getting destroyed.

This probably means that Pinkie Pie is actually extraterrestrial. If Clarke’s third law is correct, Pinkie Pie could be using a technology that could be so small as to be undetectable. In the future, we hope to bring further understanding of the physical properties of the My Little Pony Universe, as well as some of the other phenomenon, such as Ponytas, toothless alligators, and various alicorn properties. The most interesting phenomenon of all is the Sonic Rainboom (TM) since it is a trick performed by Rainbow Dash, making it about 20% cooler than anything else. Assuming we are not eliminated by studying Pinkie Pie, this paper hopes to open avenues of research into understanding the properties of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Once the properties are well defined, we can begin to discover what chemicals the show evokes in order to make bronies like it so much, as well as the reason others dislike or are disinterested in the show.


As you can see, this world appears to defy human universe laws, or physics, as the humans like to call it. Quite interesting, is it not? Yet it is this document that led me on my journey to discover the true nature of My Little Pony. Unfortunately, I had not heeded the warnings deep within the nuances of the document. The curse left me little choice but to discover what this document had only begun to poke at. Maybe you, unlike so many before me will succeed in deciphering the truth. Either way, if you meet your end, it will most likely be a happy one. Make no mistake though, you have been warned. The deeper you dig, the more treacherous the journey will become.

You have been warned.