• Published 8th Jan 2014
  • 1,277 Views, 199 Comments

When Rainbows Cry - well_thishappened



How will Rainbow Dash cope with not only being alone but also being a murderer

  • ...
6
 199
 1,277

Into the Chasm...

Rainbow Dash looked over the chasm breathing in a load of fresh, untouched air. Just recently Scootaloo had come to her and excitedly told her that she could now fly. Of course she had to celebrate and what better place than Ghastly Gorge? A place known for adventure, a place known for thrills, a place known for -- Suddenly an orange blur zoomed past Rainbow's face. She immediately recognised it as Scootaloo.

"Hey squirt, you finally showed up!" Rainbow teased, a cocky grin on her face.

"Are you kidding I wouldn't miss it for the world!" exclaimed Scootaloo a bit too loudly. Scootaloo ran over towards Rainbow, panting, wearing the dopiest grin on her face despite having her hair plastered to her face with her own sweat. A battered scooter lay discarded in the mud a few meters away from the gorge's edge.

"Umm... Scootaloo can you come over here, near the edge, please and ughhh!" Rainbow paused for a moment thinking of something she could do to get Scootaloo near the edge. "And check for dangerous rocks! Yeah that's, it dangerous rocks!" Scootaloo eyed her idol curiously but then stopped when remembering that this was Rainbow Dash she was thinking about here, Rainbow-Bucking-Dash.

"Sure! But if I do that you have to promise to watch me fly. Pinkie Promise." Scootaloo finished with a serious glare that, if she was not a young filly, would make even manticores follow her order.

"Of course squirt! Do you really think that I wouldn't want to see you fly?" At this Scootaloo blushed slightly, her stern gaze failing.

"Really? Umm, I mean, then promise!" Scootaloo attempted to deadpan, even though it came out more like a young foal trying to keep calm on its first Christmas. Her antics did, however, have an effect on Rainbow, as she was trying, and failing, at keeping a calm, straight face.

"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye... Ow!" Rainbow for the most part managed to complete the actions needed in the promise, but when bringing her hoof to her eye, Scootaloo lunged and hugged Rainbow Dash, accidentally poking her hoof into her eye.

"Oh my Celestia! I'm so sorry Rainbow! I didn't mean to!"

"Scootaloo..."

"Please forgive me! It wasn't intentional! I didn't mean to..."

"Scootaloo!"

"What if I can't help you with your training! Oh Celestia! Please still let me help you!" By now, no longer was Scootaloo's hair plastered to her face with sweat but with her tears. "Please! Please! Oh Celestia, please let me help you!" If a random pony had chanced along and seen the display Scootaloo was putting on, it would immediately have sent her to the looney-bin: every square inch of her was completely covered in dirt and mud, she was screaming and pleading like a mother whose child just died, and she was practically emitting enough tears per second to completely fill a swimming pool.

"Oh for pete's sake Scootaloo, I'm fine already!" Though those words were intended to sooth and calm the crying filly, instead they hurt and even further scared the previously distraught Scootaloo, worsening her into something that even Screw-loose could not compete with. "Look Scoots" said Rainbow in a much calmer and more soothing tone. "It's OK. I'm fine. You're not going to be banished to the Everfree Forest or anything, and you're certainly not going to stop being my awesome helper! Just please calm down. No harm done." As soon as Scootaloo heard that calming tone she almost instantaneously stopped crying and once the words registered she was barely even sniffling.

"OK, sure. Are you sure that there isn't anything that I can help you with?"

"Well you could check the rocks, even though I'm not permanently damaged my vision's still a bit blurry."

"Sure!" squealed Scootaloo. Rainbow smiled. Even though it may have hurt, it would still be overall easier that Scootaloo thought that she couldn't see clearly. In actual fact she could see perfectly fine, but she couldn't let Scootaloo know that. This way is just so much easier.

Scootaloo was standing by the edge squinting into the rocky gorge below, clearly not understanding what she was meant to be looking for.

"Hey Rainbow Dash," she called,"what do the dangerous rocks look like?" Rainbow suddenly brightened as she realised that Scootaloo was practically begging for her to do it.

"How 'bout I just show you?" she called back. With a hop, skip and a jump she was there standing by her side. "So you see that rock over there?" Rainbow explained pointing to a rather large boulder that, now that it was pointed out to her, looked fairly dangerous. "That one is dangerous, and you see those few over there?" she continued, pointing to a cluster of smaller but more precarious rocks. "Those are extremely dangerous too." Rainbow went about pointing out the 'dangerous rocks' for roughly four minutes, never ceasing to find more. "You see, you have to either remove or avoid all the dangerous rocks for, if you fall in they could break your neck before you even can say 'Holy macaroni!'"

"Rainbow, how would I fall in?"

For an answer Rainbow merely chuckled, then turning she replied,"Oh Squirt you sound like a little filly again. It's not 'How do I fall in?' It's 'When do I fall in?'"

"What?"

"How."

"How?"

"When."

"When?"

"Shove!"

Suddenly Scootaloo felt a strong rush of air on her body, and when she opened her eyes she was falling.

Author's Note:

This is my first fan fic so please feel free to suggest corrections grammatically, plot wise, or character wise, but please no hate.