• Published 12th Nov 2013
  • 1,329 Views, 20 Comments

Equestria - A Nomad Soul - MattDrummy



This is the story of a man named Kayl Jaden. He doesn't think much about friendship or hold it of any value. But he's about to get a serious lesson from Twilight and the rest of the gang after a freak event with a mirror.

  • ...
10
 20
 1,329

The Darkness Within

Kayl and Twilight both looked on somberly. It would have seemed all hope was lost. There was a great silence in the hall around them. Kayl realized very quickly that this might mean he was lost for good and that he had once again insulted the very people trying to help him.

Twilight’s jaw dropped, “How did this happen?”

Celestia was quiet for sometime. This was certainly something she had not told Twilight, perhaps this matter was not something that had been discussed with anyone else. Kayl could not have begun to understand Twilight's shock at these revelations.

“I had destroyed the mirror, realizing after the events that led you through the mirror that such a device could bring great harm to this world, or to the other. The mirror’s origins date back to a time long ago, back before even I or my sister were rulers of these lands. Back even before the time of Discord.”

“Therefore Twilight, you will have to discover a new way to send Kayl back to his own world. And of course, you will have your friends to help you. And if I can help you, I will.”

Twilight instantly became happier. It was a strange change to the mood of the room. Celestia had inspired such hope in her student that even the despair of hopelessness could disappear in her wisdom. Kayl was floored, and still utterly unconvinced of either the sincerity of their words, or the wisdom of them. Either these new ‘friends’ were naive or manipulative in Kayl’s eyes.

“Princess Celestia. I promise we will do everything we can to make things right! Just let me know where to start.”

Twilight’s enthusiasm was counter balanced by Celestia’s calm nature.

“Twilight, this is a task that I can not simply set you to. Where as before I could see the turning of events, such as with the return of Nightmare Moon, now you must determine where to begin your research. I can offer you the entire library of Canterlot and this castle however, if that is what you will need.”

Twilight gave a sigh, “I’m sure I will. I have a feeling I’m going to be stuck in Canterlot for a while then.”

Celestia gave a shake of her head, “No, I think you work best in your own element. For that reason, I want you to return to Ponyville. I will have every book that I can find brought to you, if it suits you.”

Twilight gave a bounding leap of joy, “Of course it is! We'll leave right away! Come on Kayl! If we hurry we can catch the train!”

But just as Kayl and Twilight had turned to head out the door, the voice of Celestia halted them.

“Just a moment, Kayl. I want to speak with you in private before you go.”

As he turned, Kayl became aware of the commanding nature of Celestia. Kayl's earlier outburst was not going to be allowed to simply pass on. But, Kayl was not ready to simply give up his freedom just yet. If he had thought things through, he would have realized that Celestia had no intention of imprisoning him.

“Am I required to?” replied Kayl, coldly.

“Of course not Kayl, but as your new friends, I feel that I must speak with you in private about some things. And perhaps, share with you some advice that might help you in your future quest. Of course, if you wish to refuse that hospitality, you may leave when you wish. You are free to come and go as you please.”

She knew exactly what to say, and the offer of freedom was enough to lighten Kayl up enough to turn around to face Celestia. With a short nod he followed Celestia back through the inner halls of the castle. Twilight looked on with concern, as the doors closed behind them.

The corridors inside the castle were exquisite, with bright walls lit by the open roofs, allowing sun to bounce off of the walls, tapestries showing stories of the past, and torches that were lit with bright fire flies. Kayl could not make sense of any of it, nothing like this existed any where in his world that he knew, he had traveled through Europe and Asia as a younger man, had spent time in Africa with his mother as a boy, and had been across every state with his father in America. Besides this, he had never seen a world like the one where he was.

“As I explained Kayl, I have never had the chance to meet an individual from your world like this. I thought it would be good if we talked for a bit. Why don't you begin by telling me more about yourself.”

Kayl thought for a moment before responding, “I'm not really sure what there is to tell. I'm a businessman in my world. I'm a project leader for my division and the junior manager of the floor. I have a great many responsibilities, which is why I'm trying to return home.”

Celestia nodded with her approval, “That's wonderful, well we will certainly do what we can to help you. But what about you? What do your friends say about you?”

Kayl gave a scoffing laugh, “Well the people I work with probably think I'm crazy right now. But I suppose they have a good view of me. I really don't worry about what they think. If they approve of me than good, if not, than I just avoid them. Work isn't about making friends, your highness.”

Celestia turned a corner through an archway, leading to a balcony that looked out to the north. From here, Celestia had a view of the entire northern valley of Equestria. As Kayl approached the side and looked out he was taken aback by the view. The sun shined high into the sky, it seemed as if it was still noon, but suddenly Kayl realized that the sun had sit high in the sky for quite some time.

“Let me show you something...”

Celestia raised her horn into the sky, and Kayl saw it begin to glow, and then the shining force of her light lit her eyes and filled the sky. And Kayl was shocked to see as the sun in the sky began to shift, and the lights and shadows of the ground below began to bend and stretch. It was impossible to imagine, and yet it was happening right in front of him. Celestia was moving the sun with her magic.

As the sun shifted, he saw the beauty of the land before him. The rolling meadows, plains of grass and farmlands, thick forests, mountainous landscapes far off in the distance, flowing rivers that stretched for hundreds of miles. And speckled along the golden landscape, shimmering from the light of the setting sun, he could see hundreds of thousands of ponies, some winged and flying through the clouds, and others walking along the ground. He had not simply found himself on a strange island of sorts, he had discovered a whole other world. There was no way that all of this existed with in his own world, and no one had known about it.

“It's amazing, but how did you do that!? You moved the sun through out the sky, didn't you?”

Celestia nodded, “Has Twilight had a chance to explain about the talents of ponies?”

Kayl nodded, “Yeah, sort of. She said every pony has some kind of special talent. That they have a cutie mark that shows off that talent. But that certainly can't be what your special talent is? I mean the sun doesn't move through the sky!”

Celestia sighed and shook her head, “Don't feel insulted, but the nature of this world does not work like your own world. I think you'll find that while you are here, everything is quite different from what you may think. I control the sun as it moves through the sky, and my sister, Luna, controls the moon, bringing in the night. Together we rule Equestria, though...”

Celestia trailed off, “My sister and I have not always been friends. Forgive me, I'm rambling. The one whom I wish to speak about is you. Tell me about your friends back in your world.”

Kayl stared at Celestia for a long time. He couldn't ignore the fact that the sun had moved on the command of Celestia, and clearly the world around him was quite real. But this fascination on friendship was starting to wear him down.

“To be frank Celestia. I don't have any friends. In my world, friendship is merely something that people make up to hold expectations of each other. In my world, friends simply expect more of each other than those they hardly know. It's much better to have acquaintances in my world than friends. Those who will do what you need, but you don't have to care about. And I think that's suited me just fine for many years, your highness, but what is your fascination with this fact about me? Why is it that everyone here cares so much about friendship than anything else?”

Celestia's eyes peered through Kayl, and to his amazement, he found that his defiance was gaining in strength. Despite his fear of being lost in this world, Celestia did not hold her power over Kayl. He found it easier to speak the truth, he felt no reason to hide himself, and he was not afraid of her. But deep with in him, he knew he was a speck of nothing in comparison to her power. If she had commanded it, the entire armies of Equestria could have him imprisoned. Or worse, she could have taken the sun and crashed it into the world if she wished to.

“You have spoken much for your disdain of friendship. I warn you of this Kayl, that there is a darkness in your heart. Here in Equestria, friendship makes up not only the structure of our society but the power that gives us magic, and the harmony that keeps our world together. If not for this power, the powers of disharmony and evil would take over us. It's this darkness that scares the others, and is the reason for my concern Kayl. I fear that if this continues, it is going to take over your heart, and use you as a conduit of its madness.”

The words sounded like religious fanaticism, but what if they were real in this world? Where was truth and where were lies? He was lost in this world and now he was being told of darkness in his heart. But he was feeling it too. At first it was simply fear and confusion, but ever since arriving in Equestria he had felt that he was slipping away, that perhaps a darkness was taking him over. He turned away from Celestia and looked out to the land again. After a moment of silence, Celestia leaned down and spoke softly into his ear.

“Do not fear, because you have many friends here Kayl. There are many who would fight dearly for you, and you must not turn their friendship away. But I fear that you yet do not understand the power that friendship holds.”

Kayl shook his head, “How can I believe you? I'm not saying I won't help Twilight and the others, and I'm certainly in no condition to refuse your help either. But how are you expecting me to befriend creatures I've just met. To me it seems like you're taking this for granted, that in your world friendship is something thrown around with out care. Something given easily, taken greedily, and forgotten just as conveniently.”

Celestia stood tall and spoke firmly, the force of her presence made Kayl back away in fear.

“Silence that darkness inside of you Kayl! Tell me, do you feel that your life at home has evolved so greatly because of your hatred of friendship? Be truthful, and tell me if you are happy back in your world.”

Kayl's thoughts returned to the party. In his world, he had just lost Beth, Barbara, and every associate he had at his firm. Even if they didn't outright abandon him, he would certainly have to contend with the suspicion of being a fake friend, because that is what he had been all his adulthood.

And there it was, clear as day in his thoughts the response of darkness gripping. Kayl shook his head and bowed his head low. Shutting his eyes. He wanted this to be done and gone, and he wanted it to be over. And as he thought this he felt that the world around him was also growing dim. But before it could be taken over Celestia's light powered through. Kayl was blown back and shocked.

“Do you see it now? Do you understand the threat that you are in? In this world, fear and doubt is what will consume you. Friendship is a light that breaks through that darkness, and keeps your mind whole. It is not a meaningless thing Kayl, and you must learn it well while Twilight helps to return you home. Do you understand? Your future depends on learning these lessons.”

Kayl was silent, he didn't know what to think of it. Her words had not helped quench his fear, and the world around him felt gray through his eyes. But what else could he do? Even if he didn't believe any of this, he could do nothing to help himself. He needed every hand he could. So what if all of this was just a game? Perhaps a technique that Kayl need only master as he had everything else.

“How will I learn this than? Who can teach me about your friendship?”

Celestia gave a laugh, “Kayl, doesn't such a question sound bizarre to you? Your world must be full of sadness to be devoid of such friendship. But do not despair, hold no fear, and worry not because there are those who can show you that. The elements of harmony can help you. Kindness, Generosity, Honesty, Loyalty, and Laughter. Remember them and they will help guide you. Together these elements of harmony and friendship create the spark that holds the magic that protects this land against the threat of evil.”

Kayl shook his head, “I don't understand, where do I read about them?”

Celestia laughed again, longer this time. Kayl looked rather confused.

“Dear Kayl, dear new friend, the elements of harmony can speak for themselves. You will meet them soon. But I sense you understand more now than you did before you arrived. Now I think you should leave. By the time you return to Ponyville it will likely to be night, and you will need rest before tomorrow. Besides, Twilight I'm sure is waiting nervously for you.”

Kayl took the message and turned to leave, but he stopped short and turned back to Celestia.

“Twilight, she's going to be mad again because I insulted friendship isn't she? What can I say to her to make her feel better?”

Celestia shook her head, “She might be mad, but friends can get mad at each other any number of times. The sign of friendship comes when they are willing to forgive, and be forgiven. Do not fear, Twilight was once not much different from you, but if anyone can show you the truth of friendship, it's her. Trust her, at times she has shown to be wiser than even I.”

Kayl stood there for a moment. He had thought he had met the greatest of the entire land, but she could clearly not help him return home. So he turned and left, returning to Twilight. Despite his opposition, he had made two friends without even trying.

Author's Note:

Changed chapter titles because the title of this chapter had more to do with this chapter than the chapter before.