• Published 11th Nov 2013
  • 5,244 Views, 42 Comments

Happy Birthday, Nyx - JusSonic



The ponies are celebrating Nyx's birthday, one that no one, not even the black filly herself, will forget for some time!

  • ...
38
 42
 5,244

Chapter 4: Moon Dragon

Chapter 4: Moon Dragon

"What are we doing over here again?" Sweetie asks her friends in concern. It is early in the morning at Fluttershy's cottage, the Pegasi is still sleeping. And of course, those lovable CMC are up to no good again.

"Because Nyx's birthday is today, eeyup," Apple Bloom exclaims with an eager smile. "Ah overheard mah sister saying 'dat Fluttershy got something she done found 'de other night."

"Yeah, may as well see what she's getting Nyx." Scootaloo said with an eager smile. Apple Bloom opens the door, peeking in.

"Okay, 'de close is clearer."

The CMC trots in carefully. Fluttershy is asleep in her cottage...and so is Angel and the other animals for that matter. The fillies and colt are a bit anxious to see what she got for their friend.

"That must be the cage." Twist whispers as she saw a new cage nearby. The group sneaks in. "So what shall we do?"

"Let's open it and take a peek." Scootaloo said with a smirk.

"Oh, I don't know." Sweetie said in hesitation. "We could get into trouble if we open Nyx's present."

"Relax, we y'all just open it fer a few seconds, take a quick peek an' close it. No one would know." Apple Bloom said. Dinky hesitates a bit. "Come on, Dinky, open it."

Dinky gulps as she lifts the lock on the cage then opens it. The curious foals peek into the thing, seeing nothing but darkness. Where's the gift?

"Oooh, man," Scootaloo groans a bit, "We've been gypped and so has Nyx; There's nothing..."

Suddenly something rush out of the cage, knocking them down. The thing lands on the floor with a thud, it was so loud that all the animals in the cottage woke up, causing loud noises. Before the CMC could do anything, whatever the thing is broke through a window.

"Oh man, we're busted." Pipsqueak said with a worried at the broken gulp.

"Maybe Fluttershy won't notice." Sweetie said meekly.

Suddenly a scream is heard; the foals turn and saw a horrified Fluttershy at the top of the stairs with a frowning Angel. The mare screams, "What have you done?"

"Correction, now we're busted." Scootaloo said in worry.

--------------------

It's the next morning, Nyx smiles happily as she trots downstairs. It's her birthday day, the pony can't wait! She is so excited for her big day. Nyx hopes that no one forgets or chose not to come.

Nyx spots Twilight is getting ready for something, she has no idea what it is. The alicorn filly asks curiously, "Mommy, are we heading home?"

"We will when I get back." Twilight said as she pats her daughter on the head. "I have to the Vault Reservoir, for something important for my former school. Can't tell you; Stay here and be good for your grandparents."

Nyx nods a bit as Twilight leaves, yet the filly couldn't help but be curious. What's so important for her former school that she gave out all the full details?

"Wait, I know!" Nyx exclaims excitedly. "Maybe there are presents inside for the party...Nexus must've worked overnight to have...oh, I am so eager...maybe I will take a little peek. Oh, I know that I shouldn't but..."

Nyx giggles as she leaves the house. One little peek won't hurt, right?

------------------

"O' all 'de dangerous an' most stupidest things yew foals have done, 'dis is 'de worst!" Applejack exclaims angrily. Apple Bloom and her friends stood in front of her, looking down in guilty while Big Macintosh glares at them from nearby. Fluttershy is watching. "Yew went an' broke into Fluttershy's cottage, open somepony's present without permission an' lost something our good friend has wanting to give her!"

"We're sorry, Applejack. We just wanted a peek." Apple Bloom said, tears in her eyes.

"Well, thanks 'ta yer peeking, yer good friend whom yew care enough 'ta hang wit', care fer an' even defend has lost a good present! Ah done hope yer're proud o' yerselves!"

"Come on; don't be mad at them, Applejack." A familiar voice spoke up. Big Macintosh gulps a bit as Cheerilee came in concern. "Yes, I know what they did was wrong, but they were only curious. And forgive me, but you acting like this is like what happened when they invaded your privacy during the Gabby Gums incident."

"Well, most of us." Sweetie said sheepishly. Only Twist, Pipsqueak (who wasn't a member yet back then), Dinky and Nyx weren't involved with the founders when the Gabby Gums incident happened.

Applejack sighs a bit, "Shucks, Ah know...Ah was just upset. Fluttershy worked so hard an'...now it's gone."

"Oh, it's okay. I can get Nyx another present." Fluttershy said meekly. "It's no big deal and I guess I did overreact."

"No, we want 'ta make it up. Please, let us go an' find it, please." Apple Bloom pleads to the grown up ponies.

"Punish us by making us find it; we can make it up to you." Pipsqueak pleads in sadness. "Please, Nyx was a good friend and..."

"Well, what do you say, Applejack?" Cheerilee ask Applejack with a smile, giving an extra warm to Big Maicntosh who didn't say a word, "Big Mac?"

"Err, well, uh...I guess so...uh..." Big Macintosh said, blushing and a bit messed up.

"Well, fine, Ah suppose if they want 'ta make up fer what they did an' be punished...okay, foals, help Fluttershy find 'dat thing. It can't have gone too far." Applejack told the fillies and colt with a sigh. Maybe she was a bit hard on them at first. They are only kids after all.

The CMC cheers as they and Fluttershy leave to go find Nyx's gift that ran or flew off. Cheerilee chuckles a bit, smiling while saying, "I think we handle that better."

"Aww, horse apples; Ah done must be getting a bit soft."

"Yeah, bit soft." Big Macintosh said giving a goofy smile to Cheerilee.

Suddenly Pinkie rushes in, exclaiming happily, "Good news! The Nightmare Night cake will soon be done! The Cakes are going to be needing extra help in getting it here. It's tricky, this isn't like take the MMMM to the train station!"

"All right, Big Mac? Git over 'ta 'de bakery as soon as yew can an...stop staring at Cheerilee for a moment." Applejack exclaims to her big brother who snaps out of it somewhat. "Yew can stare at her later; Git 'dat cake over here."

"Eeyup, no problem," Big Macintosh said, blushing like mad as he leaves the barn.

"Darn, Ah done thought after 'de love poison incident was done, yew two were dating 'ta play a trick on 'de girls."

"Yeah...maybe," Cheerilee said with a happy sigh, smiling to where Big Macintosh was a few seconds ago.

----------

The gift flew up to a mountain part near Canterlot, sitting on a cliff. He has escaped, no doubt about that, but does he himself want to?

"Maybe I escape to find that Nyx filly...I always wanted a friend. I've always been treated like outcast by those dragons." The creature mumbles as he looks at his scaly tail with a moon like end thoughtfully. "Was Nyx treated like an outcast too? Is that why she has the same eyes as Nightmare Moon?

The creature must know...he must find her somehow.

----------

At Twilight's former school, she was at the Vault Reservoir that she mentioned last night, where a huge, vault-sized capsule was standing.

Celestia, who was there, spoke up, "Ponies, this is an interesting day in the history of Equestria. Here, we are about to lock up the first ever Time Capsule." The ponies cheer wildly. "This one will preserve our history for 2,000 years and will show ponies of the future what we were like today."

"That's amazing." Twilight said with a smile as ponies put in some stuff before leaving, "So ponies 2,000 years from now will see what we were like now?"

"Precisely." Celestia said with a smile. "Imagine the possibilities."

"Yeah, I just hope mistakes aren't some of those being remembered." Twilight said with a slight chuckle.

Unknown to the ponies, a familiar filly sneaks into the room, grinning at the vault.

"I betcha there are presents in there right now." Nyx whispers as she sneaks into the vault. The pony came in, looking around. "Nothing but some weird stuff, but I betcha I can find something for me, right?"

As Celestia speaks with Twilight, a janitor pony came in, mumbling, "Hey Princess; I gotta clean this room up. All right if I do so while you're in here?"

"Go right ahead." Celestia kindly replied.

The janitor nods and begins cleaning near the vault, mumbling, "I'm glad to at least do some cleaning without any Nightmare Moons, Discords or Changelings messing things up. I swear..."

As the janitor cleans, he unknowingly bumps his flank into the vault door, closing it and locking the thing in the progress.

"Dirt can't clean itself; I have to do all the hard work." The janitor mumbles a bit.

Inside the vault, Nyx yelps as she hears the door closing, much to her worry.

"Uh-oh; this isn't good. In fact...I'm locked in here." Nyx said in worry. She rushes to the door and pounds on it, "Uh, hello? Can somepony let me out? Hello?"

"Wait, did you hear something?" Twilight ask Celestia in concern.

"Is there somepony in the vault right now?" Celestia ask the janitor in concern as she notices the vault door closed. "There's no one else but..."

"Mommy, Granny Celly! I'm in here, help!" A familiar small voice is heard yelling from inside the vault.

Twilight's eyes widened in shock as she gasped before she yelled, "Nyx!.!.!"

"Oh dear." Celestia said in concern as she and Twilight trots over to the vault, some of the ponies nearby gasp in horror. "What are you doing in there?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I thought there were presents in here and I got locked in!" Nyx's voice exclaims in worry.

"Don't know how that happens. Foals today are always getting into incidents." The janitor said absentmindedly.

Nexus came in, asking, "What's going on? I thought I heard screaming in here."

"Nyx is locked in the time capsule!" Twilight exclaims to Nexus in worry."You got to get it open or get her out!"

"But that's a problem! It won't open again for 2,000 years...and no magic can open it!" Nexus explains in worry.

"2,000 years," Twilight gasps in horror. "But I will be dead by then! I don't want to miss my little foal growing up if she's locked up in that Time Capsule! Can't we teleport inside or something?"

"No, the Time Capsule is built to resist that, built by the strongest substance known to pony kind." Celestia said with a sad sigh. "In fact, the only way to get into the Time Capsule is from a dragon attack...and this dragon hasn't been seen in centuries."

"NO;! MOMMY, HELP," Nyx yelled out in horror as she started desperately banging on the Time Capsule. She doesn't wanna lose her mother while being trapped in the capsule forever or for at least 2,000 years!

"And worst yet, there isn't much air in there." Nexus said with a groan. "It will take forever to find a miracle..."

-------------

The creature that escaped its cage was resting on a mountain side...when he hear a small voice calling. His ears perk up while glancing to Canterlot.

"Some one...is trapped...sounds like a filly." The creature mumbles. "Could it be Nyx?"

The creature decides to investigate. He flew into the air, heading to the direction of the school itself.

---------

Inside the school, the pony employees work on trying to get the Time Capsule door open but it won't budge.

"Dang it, this vault door is very resisting." A pony employee groans in annoyance while glancing at the tool that he's using. "And this is Pony Sears' best."

"HELP; HELP," Nyx cried as she kept banging on the door, but seeing that it was no use, Nyx started to cry in sorrow and fear as tears started flowing from her eyes in a similar way to Pinkie's crying.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I wish there's something I can do to help." Nexus said with a sad sigh. For a moment, it looks like...

Suddenly a glass breaking is heard outside as ponies are heard shouting. The ones in the vault room look alarmed. What could that be?

Suddenly the doors are knocked down, startling the group. They look startled as something came into the room glaring to them.

"What is that?" Twilight ask a bit startled.

"Is that...is that a..." Celestia begins to say. Then she saw that the thing is opening its mouth, it's about to shoot out an attack. "Look out!"

The ponies were preparing to dodge but the intruders fires an energy blast. But to their surprise, it isn't at them but at the vault door itself. Nyx inside was knocked back in the vault itself.

When all is clear, the ponies gape as the Time Capsule door is now destroyed.

"The Time Capsule," Twilight exclaimed in shock.

"It burst open!" Nexus exclaims with a shocking look on his face, "But how? That is supposed to be resistable to magic"

The creature flew past the ponies, entering the vault, much to the ponies' worry.

"It's going into the vault!" Twilight exclaims.

-----------

Inside the vault, Nyx coughs a bit from the smoke made by the explosion, wondering what happened; did they get her out? As the little alicorn filly got up, she saw something looking at her curiously.

When the smoke clears, Nyx saw who has saved her: a small purplish dragon with big moon-isis eyes (like hers), white spots on himself, and crescent moons on the back of his scales. He appears to have a moon symbol on his tail as well.

"Uh, hello," Nyx ask the dragon curiously.

The dragon pauses then waves to Nyx while saying in a small voice, "H-h-hi." He surprisingly hugs the little filly.

"Wow!" Nyx exclaimed in surprise from it.

---------

"We gotta do something." Twilight said in worry to everypony else, including the Royal Guard who just came in. "Whatever that thing is, it's going after Nyx."

"Relax; we will get the matter dealt with." A member of the Royal Guard exclaims as he and his stallions prepare themselves. "We will have a fight on our hooves here and..."

"It's okay, mommy, I'm all right." A familiar voice chirps up. Twilight gasps as she saw a familiar filly coming out of the Time Capsule, safe and sound.

"Nyx," Twilight, tears in her eyes exclaims as she rush over and hug Nyx. "What were you thinking? What were you even doing in there in the first place, you naughty foal?"

"Sorry, mommy. I thought you were putting presents in here, but I should've known better. Please don't hate me."

"I don't hate you! Disappointed that you disobey me and came when I told you to stay home...but I'm happy that you're all right. Oh, Nyx, I'm so happy that you're safe and sound."

"Okay, Nyx is safe but where's..." Nexus stops as he saw a familiar dragon in front of the new hole, waving to him. The unicorn headmaster looks a bit nervous. "Hello?"

"Hi! Did you meet my new friend?" Nyx giggles as she trots over to the dragon and hugs him. "He got me out of there."

"Well, he's well...uh..." Twilight said dumbstruck, looking at the one who blew the Time Capsule wide open with his attack. The dragon doesn't seem to be attacking or harming Nyx, unless he's pretending to. Her daughter sure is holding him like she can trust this dragon. "What is he?"

"That is a moon dragon; it hasn't been seen in centuries." Celestia explains to Twilight, much to the purple unicorn's amazement. "They are from the moon and are known to be dragon subjects or allies to my sister up to their disappearance. Of course, since Nyx was once Luna's former evil self, it makes sense that he comes to help her."

"No, wrong; I come to help...because Nyx is in trouble and she is a friend." The dragon explains, trying to reassure all doubt. The other ponies are astounded. This mentioned dragon can talk! "There's something about her that makes me feel like helping a friend."

"Well...he seems friendly now...and he must have sense of hearing." Twilight said, pausing a bit. "That explains how he knew Nyx was in the Time Capsule, the moon dragon must've heard her and came to save her. But where did he come from?"

"You're Twilight, right? Fluttershy told me while she held me in a cage."

"Wait, you mean you're Fluttershy's present to Nyx; The same one that Angel?"

"Auntie Fluttershy got me a dragon?" Nyx squeals happily as she hugs the moon dragon, "All right! This...he's beautiful and nice! Mommy, can I keep him? That way, Spike will have a new dragon to talk to and hang out with."

"Oh I don't know. I mean, dragons are a big responsibility, I should know." Twilight said before turning to Celestia, "Princess? Can we trust him?"

Celestia glances at the moon dragon, studying him carefully. He looks at her right back with those weird moon-isis like eyes, the same as Nyx's, right back.

Celestia smiles as she answers, "Yes, I believe we can trust him. Plus, Nyx is so happy to have him as a present. If you can take care of Spike in your years as a filly, Twilight, perhaps your daughter can too."

Twilight nods. Her aunt-in-law is right. Nyx, despite her disobedience, deserves a present...and a friend since it's likely that this dragon is an outcast or something. The purple unicorn said, "All right, Nyx. You can keep him, just make sure you take care of the moon dragon and treat him like a friend...not just a pet."

Nyx laughs as the moon dragon smiles a bit. Nexus sighs as he said, "I wonder how this moon dragon came to Equestria. The last one hasn't been seen in centuries because..."

"Perhaps that is a mystery best left for another day. For now, young Nyx has a party to be ready for." Celestia said with a thoughtful smile.

"What's more important right now is getting identify, the usual dragon feeding, books, etc." Twilight said, counting off what to get to help Nyx take care of the moon dragon. "And he needs a name too."

"Phobos," Nyx spoke up, getting the ponies' attention.

"What?"

"His name is Phobos. That's the name of a moon near Mars from what I read on Earth universe astrology."

"Phobos...I like that name. Makes me feel comfortable and cool," The moon dragon, known as Phobos, said with a thoughtful smile.

"But that's also the name of the God of Fear in mythology!" Nexus exclaims but notices the shakes of Twilight and Celestia's heads, motioning him to 'don't jinx it'. The unicorn said, "But...I suppose if you like the name, I see no reason to doubt it further."

"Phobos, welcome to the family," Nyx said with a smile. "You're going to like it in Ponyville."

"Yeah...I'm going to like it too." Phobos said with a smile. Nyx likes him, the dragon was doubtful at first, but what will happen once she and the other ponies found out that he escaped from the same prison as the Dragon Army?

Phobos decides that the past will be on hold for a while. Now it's time for the present and his new life with his new owner and friend: Nyx.