• Published 13th Nov 2013
  • 671 Views, 20 Comments

The New Crusader - Dayvanr



The CMC hear that they will be having a new teacher at school. They are as excited as everypony else when they hear the news. However, none of the class expected a certain oddity about him.

  • ...
1
 20
 671

The Consideration

The school day was over, and while the students had all left their teachers still had some work to do. Gray Coat was looking over the notes he had taken about the classes and the students, for he wanted to be prepared for his lessons tomorrow. Cheerilee though, was grading homework from the classes she taught. She was a little distracted, however, by a nagging thought.

“So,” Cheerilee said and looked up, “are you going to join them?”

“Huh,” Gray Coat said puzzled, looking up from his notes. He had to think for a moment whet to she was referencing to. “Oh yeah, that's right,” he remembered, “those fillies Apple berry, Sweetie Knell, and Scotilou.”

“Apple bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo,” Cheerilee corrected.

“I guess those are better,” he replied, “after all a knell is quite depressing. As for whether I'll join. I can't decide yet. I can hardly remember their names, and that already bugs me.”

“It is true that you only just arrived to town. I'm also surprised Pinkie Pie hasn't thrown you a 'Welcome to Ponyville' party.”

“What now?” Gray Coat was confused again.

“Well,” Cheerilee sighed, “Pinkie Pie is our local party pony, and whenever she sees that there is a new pony in town she gives them a welcome party. Normally she notices right away, so she must be busy with other things”

“To which I'm okay with,” he replied. “I have never done well at parties, at least not ones where it isn't a family party. For some reason other ponies will just stare at me and mutter to themselves, plus I'm not a good casual dancer.”

“Do you know why they stare?”

Gray Coat thought long and hard for about a minute. He never really thought about that much, but Gray Coat felt like he already knew the answer. Then, as he almost gave up, he remembered why they'd always stare.

“The whole cutie mark thing, right?” he asked. This earning a look of 'duh' from Cheerilee, and a sheepish laugh from himself. “I know, I gotta stop forgetting that, but if it is any consolation I'm remembering a lot quicker,” Gray Coat defended.

A long pause descended, and they both went back to work in silence. After around an hour Cheerilee broke the silence.

“Finally finished,” she said yawning. “I suppose it is time to go home, you should too. Get some rest for tomorrow.”

“I suppose so,” Gray Coat replied. They collected their things locked the door behind them and said goodbye. Cheerilee walked one way, and Gray Coat flew another. He didn't live in a cloud house like other pegasuses, he simply did not trust them. His house was a small home in the middle of Ponyville, and not too far from the schoolhouse either. Gray Coat took his key from his saddlebag, unlocked the door, and felt great to be home after a long day.


“Meow,” welcomed Spot, instantly there as always. No matter when Gray Coat came home, the striped cream tom would always greet him. He was never over the top excited like a dog; he definitely liked to see that his owner had returned.

“And hello to you,” Gray Coat responded. “Anything new with you, or is that a pointless question?” Spot just shrugged his shoulders and meowed again. “I thought as much, but you can tell me all about it later, ok,” Gray Coat grinned, “in the meantime, I'm starving.”

He walked to the kitchen with Spot in tow and weighed his choices. There were apples, oranges, a salad, and cereal. Not hefty choices, but good enough. Gray Coat grabbed an apple and looked at his options for Spot.

“Tuna, pigeon, or salmon,” he listed. “What will it be?”

Spot jumped up on the counter and, like his friend seemed to do a lot, pondered for a moment. He judged the cans for what they had inside, and after a minute or two finally made a choice. Spot then pushed the tuna flavored can to Gray Coat and waited for his dinner.

“All righty then,” said Gray Coat. “One tuna coming up.” He grabbed the can opener, and served the cat his food. While eating his own diner, Gray Coat told Spot about his day.

“The weirdest thing happened today,” He began before he took a bite. “These three fillies ask me to join a club of theirs.” Takes a bite, chews, then swallows. ”They call it the Cutie Mark Crusaders and they try to find their cutie marks.” Takes a bite, chews, then swallows. “You can’t say they aren’t determined though. From what I've heard.” Takes a bite, chews, and swallows. “They'll try almost anything.”

He finished up his apple real quick and threw away the core. Then took Spots empty bowl and put it in the sink for washing.

“The problem,” Gray Coat carried on, “is that I don't know if I want to join or not.” He began walking into the sitting room, found a chair, and fell into it. All the while, Spot following and intently listening, finding his own seat on his cat tree. “The premise is interesting, but I don’t know if I'm motivated enough anymore to try and obtain my cutie mark.”

“Meow,” Spot replied.

“Eh, you always say that. Besides it looks like it's almost time for our walk anyways.”

With that Spot got up and ran to the other room. Returning less than a minute later with a leash and harness. He jumped up on the arm of Gray Coat’s chair with excited eyes and a swishing tail.

“Someponies would think that you were a dog if I described your personallity,” Gray Coat joked while putting the harness on Spot. Earning a roll of the eyes look and a shrug from the cat.

After putting on the harness and leash, the duo made their way outside via the front door. This was probably Spot's favorite past time. He loved to explore the town and see new things, and now that he had a new home he was very excited.

After about five minutes into the stroll they only made it about barely a block down the road. Spot stopping at every lawn to see what it had in store.

“I think we should hit the park,” Gray Coat pondered. “Any thoughts?”

Nodding any faster may have taken the cat's head off, and his grin was ear to ear.

“If that isn't a yes, then I don't know what is.”

That didn't mean that the trip wouldn't be without a couple of stops. Most of the time from Spot wanting to check out somepony's yard, or stopping to play with a leaf or a rock. They also received a couple of weird looks that went unnoticed as well. Who could blame them? It is not every day that one sees a pony without a cutie mark walking a cat. One stop though, was deferentially different than the rest.

This happened when there was a pink blur, and all of a sudden Gray Coat is on his back with a pink earth pony standing above him.

“OHMYGOSHI'VENEVERSEENYOUBEFORE,” she exclaimed.

“What?” was all Gray Coat could get out before she continued.

“YOURNEWTOPONYVILLEAREN'T YOU,” she asked loudly.

“Yes I am, but could you please stop yelling. Maybe take a breath, or something, before you pass out.”

“Okie-dokie-loki,” she giggled. “I'm Pinkie Pie. What's your name?”

Pinkie Pie, the name seemed familiar to Gray Coat for some reason. Luckily though, he remembered quickly.

“I'm Gray Coat,” he answered, “and you’re the 'party pony' I've heard about.”

“Am I really that famous,” Pinkie beamed. “What do you do for a job Gray Coat, and are you walking a cat?”

“I’m a teacher and yes. Yes I am.”

“That is totally cool,” she smiled and hoped into the air. “I have a pet to. His Name is Gummy, see,” Pinkie continued, and pulled a small alligator from seemingly nowhere, “What's your cat's name?”

Gray Coat didn't give an immediate answer, for both he and Spot just stared at the small toothless lizard.

“Um, oh right,” he said finally falling back into reality. “His name is Spot”

“Meow,” he greeted.

“Well Gray Coat, Spot,” Pinkie stated, “I gotta plan your party, like, right now! See you later”

She ran off with Gummy holding on to her tail with his mouth. Gray Coat and Spot could only just stand there with an eyebrow about to fly off their foreheads. They eventually looked at each other, and did their signature shrug simultaneously.