• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 410 Views, 19 Comments

Secret of Five - Yugimotou



When Fluttershy slips into a depression following the events of the "Clause Chronicles", Sea Breeze and Twilight search for a way to bring back her deceased lover.

  • ...
14
 19
 410

Nightmare Night

“Sea! Sea? Sea! There you are. What do you think?”

Twilight stood before Sea, dressed in a pirate-like corset, with a large captains hat atop her head. Sea had cut out eye holes in a sheet and called himself a ghost. It was a lucky thing that the sheet contained his blushing. He couldn’t deny it. Twilight looked beautiful.

“It’s, uh… You look stunning. It uh, kinda reminds me of Green”.

Twilight looked at him quizzically. “You mean that big burly sailor pony you and my Brother used to pal around with? What are you trying to imply?” She muttered, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, I, Didn’t mean… I mean… You know… eheh…heheh…” Sea spat out in a panic.

Twilight eyed him, before letting off a sly smile.

“I’m just kidding around.” Twilight giggled. From across the room, a small purple dragon made gagging motions before grabbing his Jack-o-Lantern basket and taking off out the door. No sooner had the door closed did a knock reverberate throughout the room.

“The Trick ‘o’ Treaters aren’t wasting any time this year” Sea hastily muttered, determined to change the subject before he dug his hole even deeper.

Twilight picked up a bowl of Candy, and opened the door.

“Trick or Treat!”

Three little fillies, (And a rather old mare) beamed up at Twilight, their own baskets deposited at the doorstep, as if waiting to be filled. Of course, these weren’t just any fillies. These were Ponyville’s own Cutie Mark Crusaders.

Twilight beamed back down at them, examining their costumes and depositing a generous heap of candy into each of their baskets. “I see you’re a Grim reaper this year, Applebloom. Did you borrow that scythe from Applejack?” Twilight chimed, the smile never leaving her lips. It was nearly impossible to do anything but smile to the three adorable fillies.

“Eeyup! The blade is fake though. Applejack didn’t think ah should be carryin’ ‘round a real scythe, in case I hurt somepony.” Applebloom chirped. Twilight made a mental note to complement Applejack on the superb responsibility she had displayed helping Applebloom with her costume, but decided against it. Applejack didn’t normally take praise very well.

“Oh look Sweetie Belle, that’s a beautiful princess costume!” Twilight regarded Sweetie Belle with a mix of admiration and adoration. Sweetie couldn’t contain her giggles at the praise. “Thanks Twilight! Me and Rarity made it! Isn’t it FABULOUS!?” She squeaked.

“It’s very beautiful.” Twilight smiled delicately, before depositing some candy into Sweetie Belle’s basket.

She then turned to the third filly, and had she been drinking something at that moment, she would have spat it out in surprise. “Oh… Scootaloo, I see youre dressed up as…” Twilight began, but was quickly cut off by the ecstatic filly.

“IM DRESSED UP AS RAINBOW DASH! ISN’T THIS COOL? I LOOK JUST LIKE HER!” She nearly screamed.

Twilight was taken aback. It looked as if someone had taken a paintbrush to Scootaloo’s coat and mane. Not trusting herself to speak, Twilight put on the biggest smile she could, and deposited some Candy into Scootaloo’s waiting basket.
Just like that, they were gone, the old mare wobbling after them. Off to hunt more candy.

“Have a Good night, girls!” Twilight called after them, before closing around and seeing Sea Breeze standing right behind her.

“I don’t know what was cuter. The fillies, or you.” He almost whispered the complement, as If scared to have it heard. This time It was Twilight’s turn to blush.

“Oh, uh, thanks.” She smiled that delicate smile of hers, almost melting Sea’s Heart.

The lovebirds strolled through the Nightmare Night festival, in the heart of Ponyville. Apple bobbing, Spider flinging, Pumpkin catapulting, Three legged races, Caterpillar races, you name it, Ponyville had it. Sea was taken aback.

They had certainly heard of Nightmare Night in Trottingham, but they certainly didn’t celebrate it like this. The whole town had turned up for the festivities. The two made their way over to a table, where the rest of Twilight’s friends sat.

Twilight quickly began exchanging small talk with her friends, whilst Sea looked around the Town Square in awe.
There were only ever really celebrations in Trottingham when a ship returned safely. He had always thought it was awfully grim to have a “Hooray! We didn’t die this time!” party after every voyage.

Eventually, he just couldn’t take the anticipation anymore. He tugged at Twilight’s corset, urging her to turn her attention to him. After about 10 tugs, Twilight turned to him with an eyebrow raised.

“What’s wrong?” She muttered, slightly irritated at Sea’s foalish behaviour.

“Can I please go see some of the attractions now, please?” Sea urged, slightly desperate to get away from the flock of giggling mares eyeing him. He had never felt comfortable around Twilight’s friends.

He had spent most of his life surrounded by stallions, and stallionlike-mares. These Filly-like mares were completely new to him. Twilight smiled. “Sure, but only If I get to come with you.” She whispered into his ear. The sudden contact made Sea nervous, but in a good way.

“Alright” He chuckled. “Let’s go.”

With a wink, Sea lead Twilight away from the giggling mares, who whispered “Ooh la la!” to each other, followed by more giggling.

Sea Breeze erupted from the barrel, his ghost ‘costume’ completely soaked. Another try, and he hadn’t managed to find an apple in the green coloured water.

Twilight giggled beside him, before handing the showpony another bit to allow Sea another chance. “Alright, This time I’m definitely gonna get an apple. Just watch me!” He grinned, before diving into the barrel once more. He felt around with his mouth for a little bit, before finally finding what he was looking for.

Something round. Something that tastes like apples. Though, it is awfully firm for an apple… Sea pulled out of the barrel, pulling his find with him. To his surprise, the ‘apple’ slammed straight down to bottom of the barrel, pulling him with it.

The force of the slam knocked the air out of his lungs. He frantically attempted to breathe, only to have his mouth filled with the sickly warm water. He felt someone pulling him up and out, as the edges of his vision began to fade. Next thing he knew, he was on the ground, panting and coughing up water.

The showpony was cackling to himself, making no effort to hide his amusement at Sea’s misfortune.

“What’s wrong with you?!” Twilight yelled, holding the coughing and croaking Sea in her arms.

“It’s nightmare night!” The Showpony crowed. “The perfect time for a good prank, eh? Bahahahah! But I’ll tell you what, for making me laugh you get a free attempt, It’s on the house. You up for it, sonny?”

Sea had no intention of going into that barrel ever again. He stood up, water still streaming down his throat and out of his mouth.

“No thanks. Take your stupid game and shove it.” Sea muttered, glaring at the showpony.

This stallion had made him look like a fool, and all the worse, he had made him look like a fool in front of Twilight. That was unforgivable.

“I must have looked like a total dork!” Sea thought to himself angrily. He felt a light hoof on his shoulder, and spun round to see Twilight smiling at him. She leant in, giving him a tender kiss on the cheek, before leading him away to the pumpkin catapults.

Meanwhile, on the other side of Ponyville, a pale yellow mare with a deep pink mane lay in bed, tears in her eyes. This was Fluttershy’s life. She had spent the past 6 months doing nothing but taking care of the animals of Ponyville, and crying herself to sleep. There was no point denying it, she was lost without Sombra. Every time she thought about him, it felt as if he was still right there with her.

But he wasn’t. He was under a big fancy grave under the Canterlot courtyards, to be remembered as a hero for all time. That should comfort her, but It didn’t. She just wanted Sombra back, no matter what It took.

Fresh tears welling up in her eyes, Fluttershy heaved herself out of bed and went downstairs. She wasn’t participating in Nightmare Night. How could she? She never had energy to do ANYTHING anymore.
She was just waiting to die, so she could be with her soulmate. She thought about her friends. Twilight and Sea Breeze were now a happy couple. Shining Armour and Cadence were joined for eternity. Gold and Braeburn were living their lives out on the frontier, spending every waking minute together. Where was she? Alone, and in tears.

She just couldn’t see any silver lining. It truly seemed as If fate had left her to be alone. It was a cruel fate, to have once known true love but to have it snatched away from you by circumstance. She mused to herself. She could write a tragedy novel. A grim smile crossed her face at the thought. It was 2 years ago now that Sombra had first abducted her in the Everfree forest. Everything In between that and his death seemed like naught but a happy dream.

Fluttershy opened her fridge, sifting through it. She only ever really kept food for her animals in here. She didn’t eat much nowadays. She sometimes felt weak in the middle of the day, and sometimes had to lie down. But she didn’t really care. She hadn’t had an appetite for a long time. She ate what she needed to survive, and never enjoyed it like she used to. Food just tasted like ash in her mouth.

She decided on a near empty bottle of milk. It smelled sour, and looked chunky. With a grunt, she hurled it into her nearby trashcan, and It made a satisfying shattering sound as it hit the bottom.

Fluttershy went to her cupboard, pulled out some bread, and ate it. She didn’t even bother putting spreads on bread anymore. They all just tasted like dirt anyway. When her feast was completed, she trudged back up the stairs and into her room. Needless to say, she was thinking about Sombra. She only ever thought about Sombra.

She trotted into her room heavily, and chanced a brief look out her window. No Trick ‘o’ Treaters had come that night. Why would they? She was just the creepy broken mare that lives at the edge of town. The town itself was lit up, Nightmare Night celebrations in full swing. Fluttershy looked to the sky.

She remembered happier days. Like when she and Sombra had looked at the stars at night whilst aboard the Equila. Sure, the fate of equestria was at stake, but that didn’t stop them from enjoying themselves. With Sombra, she was always able to have fun, No matter what the situation was. Thinking about him sent a jolt of pain shooting through her body. Not physical pain, but emotional. With fresh tears forming in her eyes, Fluttershy trotted over to her bed and climbed into it, and was once again swallowed by the dark of night.

Author's Note:

Had to get pretty into the mood to write Fluttershy's segment. Depression isn't easy to write accurately, I just hope I've managed to portray it nicely, so It doesn't come out like edgy angst.

There will be another chapter finishing off Nightmare Night soon. Let's just say that it's gonna be a lucky night for Sea ;>