• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 1,653 Views, 12 Comments

The Fallout - John and Applebloom - Maxis122



The story of a relationship of a pony and a man in the harsh obis of the American wastelands

  • ...
5
 12
 1,653

The Beginning

The Fallout - John and Applebloom [1/4]

John walked at a moderate pace across the wasted desert with his two weapons on his back. He had a bow and a shotgun that were both made to kill instantly. His journey took him round the vast lands of America and the fallout left nothing that could be used. The fallout had caused the majority to go underground but John was upon the few who would go on and look for a new land and a new hope. But he was not alone, because on his quest was a new hope from a far off land. He vowed to himself that he would protect her and they would together, find a new home. The one who accompanied him was not from this world, as she was a pony that had come from a far off land called Equestria. Her name was Applebloom. She did not know how she got here, nor did she know if she would ever get back. But they both knew that they had to stay together, for protection and company.
The two would spend their evenings sitting down in front of the fire that they would both create and they would tell each other stories about where they came from. Some would be funny and they would both laugh. But some had more to them than that, but all the time they always had each other to be by their side. Nothing could break their new found friendship and nothing would stop their quest to search for the new land. They would travel everyday and sometimes stop to look for some new supplies. But in the end they always found themselves food and some water so they could always survive. John had no idea where Applebloom came from but she was worth protecting, this was because she reminded him of her daughter. Who had perished in the first few days of the fallout and was nowhere to be found. And he found much comfort in taking her with him.

It had been the most unusual thing to happen in this entire conflict between the controllers of the once great planet, but even though this was the case there was a saying that John could never get out of his head. 'All great leaders have risen so high to fall so much lower', and this was the biggest example that there would ever be on this wasteland plant. Even though Applebloom was the weirdest thing to happen to John, it was also the best thing.

It was not long ago that John had met Applebloom and it would be a day that none of them would forget.

--------

It was on a wintery morning and the snow had come. The wasteland had little that it could do to this snow as after the fallout, the economical weather system had been screwed up. In other words the winters were colder and the summers were hotter. So when it was winter it snowed like hell, John liked the snow but this was ridiculous. He looked outside the house that he was staying in, also no one else was in the house, and he looked at the snow that had been continuously building up over the last week. The snow was no longer an element that was admired by him; instead it was dreaded as the year before he only just escaped its fury. John was running out of time and things to burn as the temperature was getting lower and lower. Soon it was very likely that it would kill John if he didn't get moving to another place. But as he looked outside he could only see the white snow and nothing else.

It was then when John had enough with waiting for the snow to blow over and it looked like the amount that had build up would not go for a while. So he grabbed his backpack and the things that he had gotten out and he made his way up the stairs. Then he looked out of the window upstairs and there was still only the white snow. He then pulled on a rope that was attached to a trap door above him. This then had a step ladder connected to it and John climbed up it to get into the loft. He then found a window that when onto the roof. It was now or never to get out so he pushed the window to try and open it. It was no use the first time as it still had a lock on it, and John felt a little stupid a when he noticed it. Then he examined the lock to see if he could open it. Then he sighed and pulled out his shotgun and shot the lock. The lock dented and refused to unlock itself. John pumped his shotgun and then once again aimed it at the lock, but this time he aimed it up the lock hole itself. He pulled the trigger and within a second of this happening the lock exploded and the window became free. This then allowed John to open the window and look out onto the white desert that had built up over the last week.

He got out though this window and looked around the winter wonderland in search of anything that he could use to start traveling to. He examined the surrounding but he found that the only thing that he could see was the roof of the house he was staying in. He looked back in the house and searched it to see if there was anything that could point him in a good direction. But then he remembered that he had burned everything in the house to keep warm. He then looked back to the snow land behind him and then back to the roof. There was then something in the snow on the roof that had a somewhat familiar shape. John went up to it and cleaned it of the snow and his suspicions were correct. It was a arrow pointing in the direction of north, this was where he was going. He then looked over to the area that the arrow pointed to. It was a dead draw; he could go north but no find anything and die. Or he could stay here, and die from freezing. There was then only one thing that had a possible good ending so John lifted himself to his feet and looked to the far off land. This was his last chance to live out this fallout.

He began walking and within an hour he couldn't see the house behind him. His spirit was the only thing that kept him going on his current course. His feet were becoming heavier as the demon wasteland drained him of his energy. Then the worst of things happened, a snow storm brewed and flew straight at John. Slowing him down even more was the cold that was freezing him. It was unbelievable that he was still going on after three hours of this crap. Each other footstep became harder to do and each breath made him think it was his last. Then he fell, he had enough of walking blindly into the obis and wasting his life. He then lied on his back and looked to the sky of white. This was it. This was the end. Then John closed his eyes and started to fade away.

Then all of sudden an explosion happened above John and sent a blast a warm air into his body, this rebooted him. He looked up into the sky to see a blue sphere of energy hovering about 20 feet above him. It then sent a blast of energy down into John and properly woke him up. Then he got back onto his feet and looked ahead, it was a cave, it was another chance. He then started to run for this cave. Each footstep hurt him but got him closer to his goal. He was almost there but then the worst of things happened, he tripped over and went face first into the snow. He lifted his head out of the snow and reached a hand out. But then this had feel down and he had failed his second chance.

"I'm sorry Anna" he said to himself as he cried and lost the will to keep his hand up. Then he let his hand drop and he lied in the snow.

"Hey mister, HEY MISTER, are you ok?" sounded a voice from behind him. John had given up and couldn't answer this anonymous caller. He then felt something pulling at his coat and then it began to drag him across the ground. John turned himself the right way round to see the cave come over his head and within seconds he was fully in the cave. Then he blacked out.

--------

John woke up sitting near a fire, which had been made from some wood. John closed his eyes and lifted himself up and looked back at the fire. He started to wake up from his long dream, was what happened a dream. Then his eyes fell upon a cream pony, and then it hit him.

"Well howdy there mister" said this pony.

"W-What, H-How, W-Who?" said John as he tried to comprehend what was going on. In front of his as a cream pony with red hair, this had a matching red bow with it. John looked into the curious orange eyes of the pony. He was somewhat lost on these eyes as they looked right back at him.

"I'm Applebloom, who are you?" said Applebloom as she leaned forward to see if John would speak any more words.

"Umm, I-I'm, Umm, John" said John as he was still cold from that event in the snow. He then thought to himself, had this little pony helped him out of the snow. He wanted to ask but he then heard a voice from further in the cave.

"Has our guest woken up yet Applebloom?" said a voice. Applebloom then smiled and looked down the cave.

"Yes he has, Daniel" she shouted down the cave. Then an elderly man appeared from the cave and sat down in front of John. He examined him for a moment before saying "Survivor I see". He then stood up and examined him a bit more. This man had black hair that was grey around the edges. He was a good weight and he was wearing an army uniform. John then deducted that he must have been an ex-army man or a general of some kind. This was irrelevant to John as these two had most probably just saved him from curtain death. "So you are John, correct?" said the man as he smiled down at John.

"Yes, that is my name, sir" said John. Daniel laughed to himself and then looked back to John with a smirk on his face.

"Sir?! We are all the same in this world" Daniel said as he laughed again. John looked to Applebloom who looked up to Daniel with a very confused face.

"I don't get it" she said as she looked at Daniel.

"You don't need to, dear" said Daniel.

"So where does this leave me then" said John as he too was confused by how there was a man and a pony living out here in this wasteland. Then Applebloom and Daniel looked over to John and then both smiled at him.

"You are out guest" said Daniel. He helped John up and gave him a pat on the back. John looked back down to see the little pony looking up at him. They somewhat felt like family but John didn't want to get to comfortable as he would be going once he was ready. John was then lead into the main cave area where there was plenty of food and a there was a water supply running down one of the walls. There was a table with a very technical bow on it. And surrounding it was a bunch of custom made arrows. Applebloom ran over to this table and sat on one of the chairs next to the table. John then came closer to the table and examined the bow with more detail. It too was custom made and it had a scope attached to it so whoever was firing it could see the person from far away.

"Is this your bow Daniel?" asked John as looked at this bow.

"Made it myself, that is before the fallout" said Daniel as he grabbed the bow and pulled back the string. "Watch this" he said as he then grabbed an arrow and pulled the string back and aimed it down the cave. He then let the string go and the arrow flew down the cave and a click could be heard within a few seconds.

"How long is that cave" asked John as he looked down the cave.

"One hundred meters" said Daniel as he handed the bow to John. "You have a go" he said as held the bow to John. John took the bow and picked a arrow out of the bag. He then pulled the string and let go. The arrow flew down the cave, but this time it hit something else that made a rip sound. Daniel chuckled to himself and then looked to John. "You hit the target, something that I couldn't do" said Daniel.

"Must have just been lucky" said John.

"You mean hitting a target the size of your thumb is luck" said Daniel.

"What do you mean" said John.

"You have the gift, where your arrows will always hit their targets" said Daniel as he smirked at John. "Applebloom, could you get those arrows for us" said Daniel.

"Yes Daniel" said Applebloom as she lit up and picked up a torch. Then she put it around her neck and ran off down the cave.

"John, I have to ask you a favor" said Daniel.

"What would that be" said John knowing that he did owe Daniel his life.

"Could you take Applebloom and this bow for me" said Daniel as his smile turned into a serious face. "I'm going to die soon and I don't want her to be there for when that happens. Do this for me and for her" he said as he looked deep into John's astonished eyes.

"How do you know you are going to die" said John.

"I don't, but when I do I want her to be with someone else" said Daniel. John saw that he was very serious about this and he somewhat sensed that this man had a strong connection with Applebloom. "Anyway I'm getting old and she needs someone young and strong to defend her. You are both and with this bow I can eternally trust you" he continued.

"I'll do it" said John.

"You must promise to protect her, Promise me" said Daniel.

"I promise"

--------

That was a month ago and the two were still traveling strong after that time. The snow had left when the temperature had shot up again. But all in all, the journey wasn't too bad so far. Then again this is the fallout and people never make journeys easy.

One day they were traveling and they came across a bridge with some steel sheets at the end of it, propped up on steel bars. John had encountered this before and knew exactly what to expect. He signaled to Applebloom to lay low and hang back as there could be danger ahead.

"Lay low Applebloom" said John.

"Why?" said Applebloom.

"Just do as I said, It's for your sake" said John and Applebloom obeyed and hid.

John then walked over to the other end of the bridge and acted like there was nothing wrong but he then stopped and looked up. He sighed and said "it's so predictable, you are so easy to see, you know?", he had a little chuckle to himself and took a few steps back. Then all of the steel sheet fell over and there was about 6 men with standard melee weapons. John took a few more steps back and examined what he was about to deal with. There were two chainsaw men, a machete man and three sword men. The one with the machete walked forward so he was in front of the other men. He seemed to be the leader and he presented his weapon by holding it in front of John with the tip pointing at him. This man started laughing and then was engulfed by anger as he then ran forward with the machete above his head. John then pulled out his katana and did one horizontal slice at him. The running man stopped and fell to his knees and looked at he handles arms.

Tears ran from the man's eyes as he then stood up and yelled "YOU BARSTARD! KILL HIM!". John then prepped himself and the other men, hesitant at first then, then attacked John. John beheaded the first sword man and joined blades with another. Then he kicked that man and stabbed a chainsaw man, following through with cutting another swords man in half. He then power attacked the floored swords man and when the man tried to defend himself, his blade was destroyed by John superior blade and the man's head cracked open. John withdrew his bade and stared at the remaining chainsaw man who proceeded to rev up his chainsaw. He then ran towards John and went to attack him. But he was tripped over by John and he fell on top of his own chainsaw, and within seconds his guts were mashed up and thrown out of his body. John sheaved his katana and walked over to the man who no longer had any hands. John knelt down and looked at him in disgust.

Then John said "Do you want me to kill you now or let you slowly bleed till you body is dead".

The man looked up at John and said "Finish me...", and with that John stood up and pulled out his katana again. Then he swung it around and sliced the man's neck causing the now lifeless body to plummet towards the ground. John once again sheaved his katana and he searched the body's of the men, he found some more supplies and some water. He walked back over to where he left Applebloom and picked her up.

"Are the bad people gone now?" asked the frightened Applebloom.

"Yes, now close your eyes and lets go" said John as he smiled down at her and she obeyed John. Then John carried Applebloom over the bloody battlefield and kept her close. He wanted to keep her eyes from seeing such gruesome sights because he didn't want her to be more scared than she was already. This was the very least that they had to worry about in this world as there were many dangers. John had then walked about a mile away from the place before saying to Applebloom "We are through it now". Applebloom opened her eyes and looked around knowing that all there was to look at was the dead wasteland. John lowered himself down and put Applebloom down on the ground. She looked back up at him with a confused look on her face.

"What's that red thing on your face?" she asked John. He then wiped his hand across his face and saw that some blood had gotten on his face from the battle that he had. He wiped the blood on his arm and looked back at Applebloom again.

"It's nothing to be worried about" said John as he got his sunglasses out and looked the left. He then caught a glimpse of some kind of scope and he got his bow out. He then looked back round at Applebloom and looked back at the scope flare. A muzzle flash happened at the place where the scope was and a bullet hit near where the two were standing. John then got a arrow from his backpack and heard Applebloom ask again:
"What was that?" she asked as she looked at where the bullet impacted and then back up at John. John continued to stare at this glare and he they drew his bow.

"It's nothing to be worried about, Applebloom, nothing at all" said John as he then lifted his bow and let go of the string. It rippled and threw the arrow up into the air. The arrow could not be seen but the result was clear as the lens flare disappeared and a shout of pain could be heard. John smiled and had a little chuckled and then started walking again. Applebloom followed closely and looked up at her protector, the one she could trust and her friend.

----------

The days were now becoming longer as it was becoming summer. John and Applebloom found that they never used actual time but instead they used the sun as their clock. So when it was summer they found that they would get further on their journey that they would before. But with this advantage they found that the wasteland desert was a lot more dangerous and hot. Even though this was the case it wasn't much trouble for the two. They followed the path way and it went on and on. They soon came across a sign on the path that they were traveling upon. It said "New York City 24-", and at the end it was broken off. This showed John that they were coming close to their destination and soon they should pass over the border to the new land. The new land is an area that was said by many to be the only area that was not affected by the fallout and it was really far up north. As the main area of the fallout was Central America there was much hope for the ones who lived on the coast land. There were a few minor problems with going into a city that had been affected by the fallout because even though there were highway men and mercenaries hiding around. The fallout had brought more horrors than that, it had caused major mutation within the populations of the major cities and caused highly contagious diseases. These diseases had different effects depending on what disease the person had been affected by. In the majority case the disease was one that caused the victim to lose control of their normal life and be drawn towards instinct for survival. This caused many to become insane cannibals and cause havoc around the cities. The main infections were reported about three days after the initial fallout and the numbers grew until everyone in these major cities was infected.

The fact was clear that the two had to get through that area somehow or they could be looking at another's month of walking on this wasteland. It was a risk that they had to take or else things could go wrong when they travel through unplanned land. So they began walking again in the direction of NYC with hope in their hearts. Applebloom was always close to John because she was always unsure of the route ahead. But as John had actually been down this path before and he knew what he was looking for. He was hoping that they might find some more signs to point towards where NYC was exactly. Even though they were hoping that the next day they would get to NYC, John at heart was hoping that it would never happen. Because he wasn't sure what would have happened to the population of NYC and he didn't want Applebloom to be frightened by whatever now inhabited the city. Before they knew it though they found themselves at the end of another day of walking so they found an abandoned cave and they sat down in there. John took off his backpack and searched the cave but it was empty and there wasn't much to see. So he then turned to Applebloom and said:

"We should be safe here tonight, you stay here while I collect some stuff to burn" he said as he knelt down and stroked Applebloom's head.

"When will we get to the new land?" asked Applebloom as she looked up to John with hope in her voice.

"We will get there when we do" said John with grace in his voice. She understood what he meant and she huddled herself together to keep herself warm in the cold night to come. John then walked outside and found some things that they could burn for heat. After collecting these items he came back inside the cave and placed the material on the ground. Then he proceeded to getting a small flask out and on top of it was a small cup. John filled the cup a little and threw this liquid onto the items, and then he got out his lighter and lit the items. Within a second the items took off in flames and were burning with different colored flames. But in all only a few sparks and a bright orange flame prevailed over the rest of them. The wasteland around them didn't welcome much life as it had a mutual hatred for the normal needs of any living thing. Even though this wasteland didn't like the ones who inhabited it there was little it could do to the strong hearts of the ones who already were set on their path. But for the others it didn't give them a pat on the back and a goodbye, but a harsh three day torture under the sun until they died a slow death.

John looked into the familiar flames that welcomed much bad and good. Even though it kept him alive now it would threatened to kill both of them in the future and test whether they both trusted each other.