• Published 30th Oct 2013
  • 3,297 Views, 199 Comments

Azure Flame - Silver Page



Azure Flame is kind and quiet. He loves vanilla creme pastries, and helping others in trouble. But Azure Flame has a secret which no one knows. What will happen when everypony finds out?

  • ...
22
 199
 3,297

PreviousChapters Next
A Sad Dream

During the walk back to the castle, Azure Flame had time to gather his thoughts. Everything was a mess, it was true, but it wasn’t so bad, in perspective.

For the past year, ever since the debacle at the last Grand Galloping Gala, he had sent anonymous letters and packages to Rarity, the most beautiful of all the Unicorn mares he had ever seen. But, because of his nervous reactions to crowds, he had entered Snob Mode during the party and treated her and her friends like dirt. He had felt so ashamed he hadn’t left his room for a week. And when he finally emerged, he had used his persona of Azure Flame to try and apologize. He had been too nervous to give any name, real or fake, and had opted for remaining anonymous. Once a month, he sent small bottles of perfume and scented shampoos to Rarity’s boutique. It had worked fine for him.

Now it was crashing down around Azure Flame’s head. He knew it would have been a matter of time before someone slipped up, either him or somepony else, and his name would reach Rarity’s ears. But knowing that it was all going to screw up didn’t make him any happier. Maybe he could move out to the frontiers of the Mild West and become a hermit till this all blew over…

Azure shook his head vigorously to get the crazy out of his thoughts.

He reached the castle and stepped through the gates. The guards saw him, but decided to stay quiet when they saw Azure’s troubled look. Once inside, Azure Flame teleported to the Hallway beneath Blueblood’s room, and teleported his glasses and cloak into the office. Teleporting inside the Castle, as well as teleporting in and out of its bounds, was restricted to the Royal family and a few specialists who worked in it. Otherwise, a spell prevented anyone using it. Azure Flame, now Blueblood, knew this, and as such did not use teleportation while in his alternate persona.

He then staggered to his room, suddenly tired beyond all reason.

“Maybe just a quick nap,” Blueblood muttered, and he fell face first into the softness that was his King sized bed. Sleep quickly followed.

“…and then, Aunty ate the whole cake! It was so funny! Cadence didn’t find it funny, but I laughed!” Inside a sterile white hospital room, two unicorns sat talking. One was a bouncing, slightly overactive colt with a white coat and blond mane. He didn’t have a Cutie Mark yet, but wasn’t too concerned about it. He was more worried about the unicorn in the bed.

She had clearly once been a beautiful mare, but an aura of weakness and pain hung about her, and her beauty had faded slightly. Her once lustrous golden mane was now a dull yellow. Her snow white coat that once shone with light, was messy and tangled and pale. But despite all the suffering, she still smiled as the young Blueblood talked to her.

“That must have been a sight to see,” Golden Light chuckled, before a fit of coughing took away her breath.

“Are you okay, Mommy?” Blueblood asked, worry in his young voice. The mare tried to smile.

“Of course I am, my love.” Blueblood wasn’t convinced, so she stroked his mane with a feeble hoof.

“How about we play a game?” She asked, and Blueblood nodded excitedly.

“First, close your eyes.” Blueblood obeyed. “Now, I want you to imagine yourself as an adult. What do you see?”

“I see myself as a big stallion! I’m leading all kinds of expeditions into the Lost Lands, and uncovering ancient relics! Then, I’m standing on the edge of Canterlot Castle and waving to the people! They’re all cheering because I’m awesome and their Prince!”

Golden Light chuckled softly.
“Now, Blueblood, my dear child, tell me…what is the Duty of a Prince?” her voice had become soft, like a whisper, and her hoof strokes on his mane slower and weaker.

“The Duty of a Prince is to be a Beacon for those who have lost their way, and to be a Moral Compass to prevent others from going astray.” Blueblood recited the Family’s Oath of a Prince’s duties without hesitation. He knew it by heart, and loved it when his mother told him the motto.

“I’m glad my son. You will be a fine Prince one day. I’m … so very proud of you…” The hoof strokes stopped, and Golden Light’s voice dwindled and vanished. With his eyes still closed, Blueblood felt a tingle in his rump, and a burst of light filled the darkness.

He blinked his eyes open, and saw a purple and gold star-like compass-thing on his flank. He gasped with joy! His Cutie Mark had appeared! He looked over, full of wonder and happiness to his mother, but she lay still, her eyes closed.

“Mommy! Wake up, I got my Cutie Mark!” She didn’t move.

“Mommy? Wake up! You’re scaring me!” Still, she did not move.

“Mommy? Mommy! Don’t leave me alone, Mommy!”

When the doctors, followed by Princess Celestia, walked into Princess Golden Light’s hospital room, they found her son Prince Blueblood crying loudly into the blankets, begging his mother to wake up. The doctors tried to pull him off, but he wouldn’t budge. In the end, Celestia had to wrap her wings around him and pull him close for a hug to stop him from pushing the doctors away. She held him in her wings as he wept.

On that day, Golden Light, Princess of Equestria, loved by all the ponies and respected by even the foreign nations, passed away, leaving her son all alone. Blueblood had gotten his Cutie Mark thanks to his mother’s help and love. It was a sad day for them all. It was also Blueblood’s 11th birthday.

Blueblood woke up crying. His tears stained the pillows, and he sniffed softly. He hated that dream, which was in truth a memory. He curled up on his bed, and cried softly to himself, until he had no more tears to shed.

Author's Note:

Did this punch you right in the Feels?

PreviousChapters Next