• Published 12th Jul 2015
  • 695 Views, 8 Comments

The story book villain - CtrlAltElite



Propaganda is a powerful thing. She took my crimes, my failures, and turned them into a wives tail. Into something you tell your foals to get them to come inside at night. Be good or Nightmare moon will come and eat you up.

  • ...
0
 8
 695

Homeward bound

"And done!" Luna's voice never reached her ears, but the act of actually speaking was still reassuring. It made her feel less detached from the world, and thus had stuck with her even after all these years. What's it suppose to be? "It's a dragon." Wow, I remember you being better at this. That doesn't look anything like a dragon. "How many times have we been through this? It is not a silhouette, it's a constellation. You have to fill out the rest in your mind." Whatever you say Crescent responded, in a way that made Luna picture the black mare rolling her eyes. That's just an awful lot to fill in is all i'm saying. Luna looked out over the vast grey expanse of nothingness that was the moon. This place had been her prison for the last thousand years. "That doesn't matter now" she said, with a smile. "Because we are going to have so much to look at, I doubt we'll have time to go star gazing. We're going home Crescent, we're finally going home!"

There was no reply for quite some time, and Luna could tell Crescent was going over all the spell circles they had painstakingly woven into the constellations over the last thousand years. They were careful to be sure the stars looked like nothing more than constellations from Equestria. Then there was the faint sound of crying from inside her head. We are really going home? I-I always hoped for it. But after so long it's not something I thought would ever really happen. "I know, but we're not done quite yet."

Luna looked over to see the world, a bright blue and green ball in an inky black abyss. The sight had become so familiar, it would be a strange but welcome sight seeing the moon in the sky instead. "We still need to clear our names. Or my name at least. Is everything prepared?" More than that, this is going to be perfect. In eleven days is the summer sun celebration. Crescent sounded like she was getting giddy with excitement. And can you guess who is going to be running it? Celie's student. The mare has quite an impressive amount of magic. From the looks of it Celestia is trying to make six individuals who can hold the elements on there own. She's expecting us to return, and preparing for it. How 'bout it Lulu, shall we go humble a god? Luna chuckled to herself. "But of course, was there ever any question?" They both knew that neither Celestia, nor herself were gods, but Crescent's love for theatrics ran deep. It was something Luna had grown to love over the years. She would always tell Luna, 'it is not only what you do,but how you do it.' So she let her friend have her moment.


When they arrived it was the middle of the night before the summer sun celebration. Finding Celestia had not been hard. Her aura shone like a beacon. Power simply flowed from her so strongly even those who were not closely attuned to magic could feel it. It was a warm feeling, but both Luna, and Crescent remembered how terrifying it could be.

Luna took a deep breath to steady her nerves. "You ready for this Crescent?" Even as she said it Luna could feel her friend's magic start to take hold. It was an odd feeling, to have control of your body taken from you, but Luna had come to enjoy the calm of sitting in her own mind. She was also glad that she didn't have to be the one to do the next part. She loved her sister, and would not be there at all if she had any choice in the matter.

None of that now. I'm playing the evil monster here, and I don't need any of your sadness slipping in. If you want to feel bad that's fine just keep your emotions to yourself. Crescent started walking towards the back of the town hall, muttering something about inconsiderate room mates under her breath.

They found Celestia by herself in one of the many rooms. She was so engrossed in editing her speech she never even noticed their arrival. Apon seeing her sister Luna was overcome with a slew of different emotions. Pride at the great ruler Celestia had become, her own shame, happiness, sadness. She had to leave before she ruined the whole thing. Slowly she slid farther back into her own mind, taking her raging emotions with her.

When Crescent no longer had to work to keep from tearing up, she let out a long dramatic sigh. Celestia whirled around, and as there eyes met she could see all the emotions that Luna had just felt flicker across her face, with one extra. When she spoke, it was in a quiet calm manner, and the anger in her voice was down right scary. "Let my sister go, and your death will at least be quick."

"Oh Celestia, I somehow doubt that. And besides, I came here to bind you, and poor Lulu's body is about at it's limit already. She wouldn't be able to focus enough magic in her horn for anything that could hold one such as you." Crescent was all smiles, speaking like an old friend that hadn't been back in a while.

Celestia on the other hand was practically foaming at the mouth. "Get out of her." Her horn glowed as she prepared a spell, and the air became hard to breath it was so saturated with magic. This was what she was. Celestia the Solar Flare, the flame knight of Azmar. She had more magic at her disposal then any other creature Luna had ever met. Even when Luna stood at the peak of her power she wasn't even close. But Luna was a spell breaker. She could take apart a spell as it was being cast. During the Discordian wars she was known for tearing up teleport spells. Leaving peaces of the caster in a line from the start point to the end. That's why in the face of that power, and that rage, Crescent just laughed.

"Celie, please. We both know you'r not going to cast that. There is a whole towns worth of ponies out there, and if that spell goes off who is going to have the job if figuring out what pony each pile of ashes belongs to? So lets just skip the dramatic stuff, and face the facts. I won." And with that the candle on the desk she had been working at went out. As the darkness engulfed her, it solidified, and dragged Celestia into the dreamscape. It was not the best binding, and it would never hold something as powerful as Celestia. But it would make quite the boom if she put enough force into it to break the thing. That, and it was complex. Countering that binding would take time.








From inside the shadow of the curtain they watched the town gather, and begin the speech introducing her sister. Are you ready? Luna mentally asked. Striking fear into the hearts of the masses. It's like riding a bike, you never forget. Luna inwardly sighed. Not because the statement was odd, but because it was true. She could still remember the horror on the faces of all the ponies and non-ponies alike as she strode across the battlefield. How easy it would be to attain the same reactions here. Just make sure to keep it toned down. We don't want them to mistrust us forever.

The curtain was suddenly pulled, and there was a gasp from the crowd. Luna released her hold on her body allowing Crescent to take over. A few moments later smoke started to pool and, churn in the center of the balcony. Eventually solidifying into the shape of Crescent. As she began her speech Luna pushed the noise to the back of her brain. There were preparations to be made, and one of the bonuses to having two beings in one body is that you can both be on different tasks at the same time. She was peaking into the minds of the six potential element bearers trying to gather as much last minute information as she could. She would need it soon. Then a shout from the crowd snapped her back to the present. "I know who you are! You're the mare in the moon, Nightmare Moon!" Wow, what kind of a name is that? Luna had lovingly taken to calling her friend Crescent not long after they merged. Anyway I got about all i'm going to. It's time to go, wrap it up. Crescent ended with a threat of eternal night, and with a flourish they were gone.

They arrived in their old court in a spectacular display. The temperature of the room dropped covering the windows and floors in frost. The shadows of everything in the room slid down the walls, and across the floor into an inky black pool, that slowly rose, and swirled. Then it dropped, running like water over there form that now sat atop there throne.

"Was that really necessary?" Luna asked as she regained control of her body. I would like to think so, yes. Luna let out a long sigh as she returned the now freezing room to its original temperature. "Whatever, right now we have work to do. We need to make challenges to get the element bearers to realize what element they resonate with, and bring them closer together as friends. I'll take laughter, honesty, and kindness, if you want loyalty, magic, and generosity." Sounds fine to me. Just remember nothing too strenuous. I have to keep Celie locked up,so we only have your power to draw on for this, and it's significantly lower after using it to break us out. "I know, I know, lets get started."

They worked most of the night making challenges ranging from manticores to river serpents. All the wile making sure they didn't throw them something they couldn't handle, and keeping the real dangers of the forest at bay.

Finally the six friends made it to the castle. Crescent, whats going on with magic? We ran out of forest! There wasn't room to put a challenge there. It's fine though. I'll do the last one myself. That's cutting it real close. If this fails there is no place to try again. Don't mess up or it's back to the moon for us. But, you know, no pressure. You're not funny. Luna giggled as she once again gave control over to Crescent, who placed five rocks with different shapes etched into them on a pedestal. She then sank into the shadows waiting for them to work out the significance. Each rock pointed to a different spire in the castle where one of the elements resided.

The group eventually made it to the rocks. Then after a few words, five of them simply wandered outside leaving the purple one alone to ponder over the problem. Did they just leave one of their friends alone in the middle of a creepy ruined castle with what they believe is a monster still unaccounted for? Luna asked, with a level of disappointment in her tone. Yes, yes they did. I don't think she's going to figure it out Crescent. She just keeps mumbling something about a spark. I'll just take her to one of the elements rooms. A bit of evil laughter, she'll look around, find it, and everything will click into place. Before Luna could reply Crescent wrapped the purple mare in a vale of shadows, and they both vanished, reappearing on the other side of the castle.

What if she can't figure it out? Whats your plan then? She's Celies student she must be smarter then that, and she can teleport. I'm sure she will run to her friends and continue to look. The purple mare started pawing the ground and lowered her head to charge. "You're kidding. You're kidding right?" Crescent I don't think shes kidding. I can fix this just give me a second.

Luna was thinking hard on some way, any way to fix this. The next thing she heard was the sound of stone shattering. Please tell me you did not just do what I think you just did. I broke them now she must understand that they are not the real elements. What if she thinks you just broke her last hope, and gives up on the spot!? I did't have a lot of options she-

"You think you can destroy the elements of harmony just like that?" They were interrupted as she started going on a rant about her friends, and the elements they represent. Crescent just stood there in confusion for a moment. Ya they are compatible, but whats with that confident smirk? Luna didn't answer right away, clearly just as baffled as her friend. Dose she think that they are just going to appear out of thin air? Crescent stared at her for a second longer, then mentally shrugged. Then that's what is going to happen. Come on even she can't be that naive. You cant just teleport the elements onto her. Sure I can. It's all about how you do it. And with that she began levitating the shattered peaces of stone one by one up to the mares, teleporting the rock away at the same time as she brought the elements to rest around there neck. She then created a sixth stone only to send it away as well to be replaced by a tiara that came to rest lightly on the purple ones head.

It's a good thing that she never stops talking or we wouldn't have had the time to come up with this. Luna groaned. I can not believe that they all actually fell for that. She was annoyed that such a stupid plan had worked so well. Even if it did work to her benefit. At this point the rainbow magic of the elements had started wrapping around them. It did nothing of course. The elements only effect evil, and though both her, and Crescent were dark creatures neither harbored any ill-will. Crescent was playing the part of the tortured monster perfectly though. Eventually she released her hold on Lunas body and allowed her to slip back into control. Your turn to be the actor. Oh, and I let Celestia out. She should be here any second now.

Right on time Celestia appeared, surrounded in golden light with the sun rising in the background. See that? She knows the importance of an entrance, you should take notes.

Luna just stared at her sister. Celestia was smiling, and talking to the six young mares. She was smiling. When was the last time she had seen her sister smile? She couldn't remember. Even in the years before her exile her sisters face showed only a mixture of grief, and anger. War will do that. Luna she's talking to you, stop spacing. Luna looked up, and her sister was a white blur in front of her. When had that happened? Luna wiped the tears out of her eyes, and looked to her sister.

Celestia gave a patient smile, and asked, "Will you accept my friendship, and rule with me, as we were meant to?"

"I'm so sorry." Was all Luna could get out before her voice stuck in her throat. Here was her sister. The one that had seen her at her worst, and though Luna didn't like to admit it. There was always that voice in the back of her head asking 'what will you do if she doesn't want anything to do with you?' But Celestia just stood there smiling, just like before her 'fall'. "I-I've missed you so much big sister." The whole time Crescent slid back into a corner of their mind, trying to give her friend some privacy.

"I've missed you too." was all Celestia said before Luna buried her face in her sisters fur. She stayed like that for a long moment. Leaning into her sister as the pink one started rambling about parties.