• Published 21st Oct 2013
  • 490 Views, 1 Comments

Utopia - SilentWanderer



The Mane Six find themselves in a distant future. Who will they find there, and who is the mysterious pony who rules over that future?

  • ...
 1
 490

Applejack

Her head was hurting.

“Ouch! What the hay is going on? I bet this is Twilight's fault again.”

She looked around.

“I guess I am not in Ponyville anymore. Reminds me of the Crystal Empire, but I cannot see the castle.”

She could see just a few ponies around. One of them caught her attention. Not because of the pony's appearance—the pony was just a normal red-maned orange-colored earth pony, with three seeds as her cutie mark—but because she was pulling an empty rustic wooden cart. Wood looked out of place next to the walls and floor of this place.

Applejack walked towards the earth pony.

“Howdy!”

The earth pony looked at her.

“My name's Applejack, and I couldn't help noticing the cart you are pulling.”

“You can laugh if you want. I think I am the only old-fashioned pony who still uses one of these.”

“Why would I laugh? I think it is nice.”

“Thanks. My name's Apple Seed, by the way.”

“Where are you going to?”

“I just delivered a load of sweets to Happy's latest big party, and am going back to my home at Ponyville District.”

“Ponyville District?”

“Yeah, it is an old preserved historic town. Which means that we are basically moving displays for the tourists. The Administrator says that it is a way of not losing our memory of the days of the past, but I think she is the only one who sees it that way.”

“The Administrator?”

“Who doesn't know her? She is the one who paved over all nature with these tall buldings of crystal and glass. She says it is for our protection, but sometimes I wonder if she just does not like trees.

“In the past, all this place was forests. Rivers. Mountains. But now we can see them only in the history books, except for the few pieces that she preserved within these buildings.”

They moved towards a large opening on the nearest building, while Apple Seed continued talking.

“You know, some ponies say that we should not say ill of the Administrator, and that anypony who says anything bad of her will disappear. I say that is a load of manure. I have been badmouthing her for years, even in front of her, and nothing has happened to me.”

They emerged from the passage. They were now stepping on grass, instead of the solid floor outside. Surrounded by the inner wall of the building, Applejack could see Ponyville.

-*-*-*-

It was Ponyville as Applejack knew it, with only a few differences. A few of the houses were missing, and there were some new houses. Her friends' homes looked the same. She could not see Fluttershy's cottage from where she was, but she could see Rainbow Dash's cloud home. And in the distance, an apple orchard was visible.

They went through the middle of the town. While the place was mostly unchanged, the same could not be said of its inhabitants. There was nopony Applejack could recognize.

Sweet Apple Acres also looked the same. Other than the normal changes with the seasons, not much had changed. The barn was new, but given how often they rebuilt their barns, that was no surprise.

Apple Seed left the cart outdoors and invited Applejack to her house.

Not much had changed within the house too. There were a few new pieces of furniture, and the walls were covered in portraits.

“These are my ancestors and their families. There are more, but they would not fit in the walls.”

Applejack examined the portraits. There were many that she did not recognize, but she soon found Granny Smith. Next to Granny Smith's portrait was one of Applejack's parents. And next to that one, Apple Bloom.

-*-*-*-

“Listen, sugarcube, I have to tell you something.”

Apple Seed looked at her.

“I am not one of those fancy magic-using unicorns, so I cannot explain how it works, but I am from the past. I am Apple Bloom's older sister.” Applejack pointed at the portrait.

Apple Seed stared at Applejack for a second. Then she dived towards a nearby drawer, and pulled an old photo album. She quickly flipped through the pages, stared at one of them, and stared again at Applejack.

“So that's why you had not heard of the Administrator?”

“Exactly. Who is this Administrator, after all?”

“She is the most powerful unicorn in Equestria City. As far as anypony knows, she is immortal. The history books say that she defeated many powerful enemies, and that she created Equestria City to protect us from them.”

“Equestria City being this city of crystal.”

“Back in the day, it was called only Equestria. When it was paved over, its name changed, because now it is all a single large city. A city where there are only a few places where you can stand on real ground.”

“I noticed.”

“It is the same for pegasi. Have you seen how few clouds are there?”

“I only saw one. Rainbow Dash's home.”

“That one does not count, it is a museum. I think only unicorns felt no difference, since they were already used to living in their urban cities.

“It has been so long, that most ponies do not know what it is to be in contact with nature. I only know because my family kept the traditions. Not all of them, unfortunately, since the nearby forest was destroyed long ago.

“Perhaps this is why the Administrator sometimes comes to visit this house. She is old enough to still know the importance of nature. Even if she denies that importance to others.”

There was a knock on the door. And another one. And another.

“Coming!”

Applejack opened the door. Pinkie Pie knocked on her face.

“Pinkie?”

“Hey girls, I knew I would find her here! Look!”

“Applejack. We have to go. Now.”

“Are they your friends?”

“Yeah, they must have come from the past with me. Sorry, sugarcube, but I guess this is goodbye. It was nice to meet you.”

“It is always nice to meet somepony else from my family. Goodbye!”