• Published 25th Oct 2013
  • 262 Views, 12 Comments

Love is in Blossom - sharkray24



Hello, I'm Lavender Love, and I don't live a "normal" life in Ponyville with my nine year old sister. But who would've thought, a cold, a pink earth pony and all her friends showing up at my door one day could take my crazy w

  • ...
5
 12
 262

My Miserable Morning

"Time to get up Love Blossom." I called into my sister's room one chilly winter morning. I was responded to by a small, high-pitched "Ah-choo". "Oh no..." I said with dread, "You're not sick are you?" I peered around the door to and into my sister's room to see her, mane in a mess, eyes reddish pink, many fluids coming from various parts of her face, her blue coat seemed more like a green one and dear Celestia the smell was just awful.

"Uhm...I thing I need do sday ome vrom sgool duday..." she managed to get out between coughs and sneezes.

My worse fears had come true, I had just spent last month's salary on more blankets to keep her warm at night. I was flat broke, there was no way I could pay for medicine, let alone the doctor's appointment. "Don't worry." I comforted her. "I'll take care of you."

I walked back into the kitchen of our three room hut I had found near the lake several years ago. The Mayor had given it to us until we got back on our hooves again, which never happened, but she let us stay there for free so I guess it's not all bad. I quickly grabbed a piece of parchment and a quill that were lying around and jot down a letter to the Cakes saying my sister was ill and wouldn't be able to make it to work today.

I trotted outside into the snow just as the Mail Mare arrived. She had a light grey coat with a light blonde mane and tail. Her cutie marks was seven bubbles (I believe, I've never been good with numbers), and she wore her blue uniform hat along with the winter scarf.

"Anything outgoing today?" she asked cheerfully.

"Yes, I'm glad I caught you." I said.

She frowned, "I'm afraid I can't take it." she informed. "Orders from the top, you're behind on your postal payments. You know you were pushing it sending three letters with no stamps, and I've been told I can't take your mail until you pay." she began to tear up "I'm so sorry this happened. I would take it if I could but, I need my job to support my two daughters." she looked down and kicked a small clump of snow.

I was at a loss for words and I sat down and stared at the frozen lake behind her hoping to see the answer in that frozen water. But nothing but emptiness.

"Well..." She began. "You know I could just take it there for you as a friend...that's technically not breaking the rules..." she looked at me from the corner of her eye and gave a sly smile.

I shot up and wrapped my hooves around her, "Thank you so much!" I exclaimed.

She merely grabbed the letter in her hoof and put it in her pocket. By that I mean the pocket everypony has right there on their cutie mark, or in my case, blank flank. She then tipped her hat and flew off.

I watched her go off into the winter sunrise, turned and returned to my ill sister.

"Are you hungry?" I asked.

"What about you?" she replied, "You didn't eat at all yesterday."

This was true, I had given her my half of the apple we were supposed to share because I could tell she was coming down with something and knew she needed to have nutrients. "I'll be fine." I told her, "This is your big brother we're talking about."

"Okay." she sulked, "Just don't do something stupid like not drink when we've got a whole lake right there." she pointed with her hoof towards the front door.