• Published 22nd Oct 2013
  • 3,556 Views, 63 Comments

Dusk's Travels - Bluecatcinema



Dusk Glow goes on a grand tour of Equestria.

  • ...
4
 63
 3,556

Vanhoover Emergency

Dusk disembarked from the train with some relief, for it had been a long ride from Canterlot to Vanhoover. Even the chill in the air couldn't dissuade him from getting off as quickly as possible. As he stretched out his limbs, he spotted a dark red, middle-aged Earth Pony stallion in a stetson struggling to stack a crate on top of another, a small pegasus filly with a pale-blue coat and black mane watching close by.

"Need some help?" Dusk walked over. "Let me lend a horn."

Using his magic, Dusk lifted the crate into place. The cart the crates were on was pulled away by it's owner.

"Much obliged, stranger." The stallion took off his hat, revealing a shaggy brown mane and beard. Up close, Dusk could see that his Cutie Mark was a barrel with a cherry on it. "Name's Big Red, and this here is Mist."

The filly waved timidly, her golden eyes looking away. Her Cutie Mark was a raindrop.

"Pleased to meet you." Dusk smiled. "I'm Dusk Glow."

"Dusk Glow?" Big Red gasped. "As in 'prince'?!"

"The one and only." Dusk nodded.

"Well, sheee-yoot." Big Red chuckled. "Ah ain't never met fancy royalty before! So what brings ya here, yer majesty?"

"Please, call me Dusk." Dusk chuckled. "And to answer your question, I'm travelling Equestria, and am here to see the sights of Vanhoover."

"Well then, yer in luck." Big Red smiled. "Ah come here all the time, making deliveries. Know this place like the back a' mah hoof."

Dusk's stomach started growling.

"Know a place where a pony can get some food?" Dusk asked.

"Sho' nuff." Big Red chuckled. "Follow me."

Big Red and Mist led Dusk to a small diner.

"Three daff 'n' daisy sandwiches, if ya please." Big Red requested.

The trio found a table.

"So, what is it you deliver, anyway?" Dusk asked.

"Cherries." Big Red answered. "Fresh from Cherry's Jubilee's orchard over in Dodge Junction."

"I was there a while back." Dusk smiled. "Nice place."

"Ah work right alongside miss Jubilee."Big Red said proudly. "We's best friends."

"Maybe more then that." Mist tittered.

"Now cut that out, missy." Big Red's cheeks darkened.

"So, is Mist here your sister, or your cousin?" Dusk asked.

"Naw, just a friend." Big Red chuckled. "Her big brother works fer me. Li'l Mist tags along with us. He'd've been here with us today, but he gots sum 'personal matter' ta attend to."

"So, what's he like?" Dusk asked.

Big Red gave a chuckle.

"Well, shee-yoot, he's a great guy." Big Red smiled. "A pony among ponies. Since their parents passed, ah went and took him an' lil' Mist in and raised 'em like they were mah own foals. He's an honest, good worker, ah caring brother, though he can be a bit klutzy at times... not to mention getting lost all the time. But ah love him to death, I do."

"Okay." Was all Dusk could say. He was quite surprised that the old stallion thought so highly of the boy...then again, to him, he was like a son. It reminded him of his own father, and he could only wonder what he was doing now. However, there was another thing he was wondering about. "Forgive me for prying, but what is this 'personal matter' that you said he left on?"

"Ah understand your curiosity, son, but unfortunately, ah promised him that I wouldn't tell anyone except Cherry and Mist what he was doing.." Red explained.

"Oh, I see." Dusk nodded.

"But since yer royalty, and ah don't like keeping secrets from royalty, all ah can say is that he's heading towards Canterlot." Big Red nodded.

"Canterlot?" Dusk repeated, "I was just there. Could you tell me his name? Maybe I might have seen him."

"Well, sure." Big Red smiled. His name is-"

"Big Red?" Mist mumbled. "I don't feel so good..."

Mist didn't look so good, either. Bleary-eyed, she almost fell off her chair, but was caught by Big Red.

"Aw, no." Big Red panicked. "Mist!"

"What's wrong with her?" Dusk asked.

"Her immune system's a little on the weak side." Big Red declared. "She told me she cud handle the chill air, but clearly, she can't."

"What should we do?" Dusk asked.

"Lucky fer Mist, mah pappy knew a thing 'r two about natural healing." Big Red rummaged through his backpack, bringing out small jars filled with herbs. "He taught me a few things, like what kinda herbs can fix a sick pony."

Dusk had heard of this style of healing, mostly relating to Zecora.

"Uh-oh." Big Red mumbled.

"What's wrong?" Dusk asked.

"Ah'm fresh out of a vital ingredient." Big Red declared. "A vitalis herb. An' the only place Ah know ta get 'em Dodge Junction!"

The word 'vitalis' jogged Dusk's memory.

"They grow in other places, too." He pointed out. "The forest outside Vanhoover, for instance."

"No foolin'?!" Big Red smiled. "Then let's go."

Big Red carried Mist over to the local inn, where Dusk put her in what would have been his room. They then headed off to the forest.

"Vitalis herbs grow in temperate climates." Dusk recalled.

"Yep." Big Red nodded. "An' always close ta streams."

"You really know your stuff." Dusk declared.

"Ah surely do." Big Red nodded. "Cuz'a mah accent, some ponies think Ah'm dumb, but I ain't. Quite th' opposite, in fact."

As they trekked through the forest, the eventually found some vitalis herbs.

"There they are." Big Red smiled.

A chorus of growling echoed through the forest, as a pack of Timberwolves emerged.

"Stand back." Dusk declared. "I'll handle-"

"YAAAARRRGH!" Big Red charged at the Timberwolves. He rammed headlong into one, bucked another, breaking it's leg, then used that leg to swing at a third one, knocking it down.

"Whoa." Dusk gaped.

"Whatter ya waitin' for?!" Big Red yelled. "Get th' herb!"

"Gotcha." Dusk used his magic to uproot one of the herbs and bring it over to him.

"Now, let's mosey on outta here!" Big Red started running from the Timberwolves, who were beginning to recover.

"That was amazing!" Dusk smiled.

"Aw, that weren't nuthin'." Big Red chuckled. "It's just what happens ta anypony what keeps me from helping mah friends."

The two ponies raced back to the inn, where Big Red starting mixing together the herbs. Before long, he had brewed an herbal tea.

"Here, Mist." He whispered. "Drink this."

The ailing filly drank the tea, then leaned back in the bed.

"What now?" Dusk asked.

"It'll take a while for the tea ta work it's magic." Big Red declared. "Mind if we stay here the night?"

"Be my guests." Dusk smiled.

Dusk slept in his sleeping bag that night, while Big Red dozed on a chair beside the bed.

The next morning, Mist leapt onto Big Red, startling him awake.

"Red!" She squealed.

"Aah!" Big Red yelped.

"Whutsgo'non?" Dusk bolted awake.

"I'm all better!" Mist smiled.

"Great ta know." Big Red hugged her.

"Thanks, Red!" Mist returned the hug She leapt over to Dusk and hugged him, too. "And thank you too, Dusk."

"Ah, I didn't do that much." Dusk said humbly. "Red did the real legwork."

"Thanks, anyway." Mist giggled.

After sharing breakfast, the unlikely roommates prepared to part ways.

"It was nice to meet you both." Dusk smiled.

"Same here." Mist beamed.

"Oh hey, if ya happen to see a tall white pegasus back in Canterlot or sumthin', could you tell him that we need a helping hoof back home?!" Big Red asked.

"Will do." Dusk smiled.

Dusk moved on with his journey, Big Red and Mist going back to the train station. They waved to each other until they could no more. Dusk smiled to himself, remembering how far Big Red was willing to go to ensure Mist's health. Such selflessness could only be respected. His stay in Vanhoover may have been an unexpected experience, but he would remember it fondly anyway.