• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 925 Views, 5 Comments

The Tale of The Epic Lyre - Magenta



Lyra, Twilight and Pinkie form an usual alliance to retrieve the missing Epic Lyre to save Ponyville

  • ...
 5
 925

Chapter 3: The Dream

"Perish you will, perish you will, just keep very still..."

"Twilight, Twilight!" cried Lyra, "Did you hear that?"

"I'm sorry but what are you talking about, do you mean about the song?" said the purple pony somewhat confused.

"It's just that I heard some voices, very much like the ones in my dream..."

"Ponyfeathers! I'm NOT paying attention to you anymore, you've gone mad!" Twilight left incredibly furious for she was fed up with Lyra's tall tales.

"Let's see," thought the purple unicorn to herself, "There's something else behind that rhythm that makes every pony act like every pony else, they don't think."

"The music soothes the savage beasts, no doubt, Lyra, but your words will never help out!"

The voices of the Night Shadowers made echo in poor Lyra's head. Even if she begged for them to shut up at the same time they laughed back even harder. It was like they were deliberately interfering with her mission. She knocked her head with her hooves to come to her senses a bit however the only ones who paid attention were Applejack and Big Macintosh.

"YEEHAW! Now that's the way to do it, sister!" the orange pony cried.

Lyra was beginning to get irritated so she took a deep breath before she started rampaging on any pony, "Take it easy, Lyra, just do what you gotta do...anyway, where's BonBon?"

It was until that moment that she pondered who she had to protect before it was too late. She remembered having cast a spell of the few she learned back in school which let her find her friends quite easily no matter how far they were. She gave it a try with her horn and it so turned out to be that it pointed towards young Twilight.

"Well, that was random," she thought to herself. "Think girl, think! Maybe my magic is not that strong to protect them all but at least if I convince that little egghead maybe things could change...but on the other hand if I don't save BonBon I'll regret this for my entire lifetime.

The ambient was growing colder and harder to tolerate. One by one, the ponies stopped dancing and became statues without making a single sound. The silence increased the tension but at the same time helped to make the Night Shadowers more evident. As Twilight observed them they represented a shape and size almost the same as the ancient Windigos but even more vile.

Twilight cried," WHAT's going on? Where did you guys come from?" Then she turned around and saw Lyra coming to protect her acting like a shield.

"Girl, don't listen to them, please! They're full of black magic!"

Lyra concentrated as much as she could to cast a ball of energy. At first it was so little that it transformed into a powerful glow around her turquoise horn. It was so intense that it made her feel completely relaxed and free as though she was trotting to Canterlot like she did everyday and this time no one could stop her. She closed her beautiful round eyes and focused on the place she loved the most. Afterwards she lost complete consciousness. Lightning crashed around her and Twilight and both figures vanished in a split second.

As the musical pony recovered she felt like she had slept for hours and woke as she had partied all night long all tuckered out. A familiar voice kept calling her as she enjoyed the morning breeze. The scents around her became inviting and relaxing.

"Lyra...Lyra," said some pony.

"Um...yes...tell me," she said still lying on the soft ground.

"LYRA!" the other pony shouted. Twilight kept calling and she seemed to be in tip top shape. When she saw the mint colored unicorn lounging she proceeded to shake like a maraca. Lyra slowly opened her eyelids.

"Oh no, Mom! It's too early to go to Magic School and it's awful cold outside...-

"LYRA, you silly pony!" cried Twilight heavily.

"Oh, if it isn't you Twilight Sparkle, old buddy, old pal...hey, wait a minute..." She soon got up feeling her heart beats like butterflies in her chest. "Knight Shade, where's that trickster? Did we get him, did we get him, where's BonBon?!"

"Hey, hey, calm down...- said the lavender unicorn very softly. "This may sound like a very silly question but...where are we?!"

Lyra shook her mane and turned around and recognized the surroundings. It was almost like paradise, "Wow! Awesome! The magic did really work out well afterall, I'm so proud of myself!"

"And me too!" Pinkie Pie jumped out of the bed of honeysuckle flowers.

"Oh, hi Pinkie? You came here too, that was kind of random," said Lyra a bit surprised.

"Oh, don't worry," said the pink smiling pony, "I am ever so random. Is the Festival over yet? They didn't even give me the chance to sell my super delicious blueberry cupcakes!"

"Ok, Lyra," said an angry Twilight, "Let's break this down, you said you used magic, didn't you?"

Lyra laughed nervously, "Well, I could have used this one spell I learned to spot my best friends and then POW! We zapped into this big beautiful garden which by the way belongs to THE Princess Luna! But I think I overdid it."

"OVERDID IT?" shouted Twilight with fiery eyes, "Why aren't we back in Ponyville?"

"I um, I..."

"Well, answer me right now?!"

Lyra sighed, "Fine, don't believe me then but I still think that Knight Shade is behind this somehow..."

Twilight interrupted, "OK, here we again...Look, I know that you might so frustrated to know that someone else like him was chosen to play at the Festival, but maybe he's not that bad as he seems..."

"NOT BAD? Casting a spell on the entire town doesn't making him bad?! By all the unicorns, Twi, he was deliberately using some kind of magic that's not normal and it did come from the musical notes played in that incredible lyre!"

"And I suppose that you brought us here because you left shadowed by that pony," said Twilight.

"NO! I did what I had to do to put you out of danger! Now if only I had brought BonBon to back me up..."

"HEY, HEY, HEY!" cried Pinkie Pie, "I know that you're deeply feeling cranky and like some pony rained on your parade but who is that Knight Shade?"

"I have no idea, Pinkie," said Lyra anguished. "The only feeling I have is that he's mighty dangerous and we must put a stop to it. I admit my magic wasn't that strong enough to save us all, but if you give me just one chance to show you how bad it is to save Equestria from disaster! If we don't continue who knows what will happen, we might even become his slaves!"

"Alright," replied Twilight. "I can see where this is all going, that's why we're heading straight back home so you can offer an appology and..."

The soft breeze transitioned into a furious gust threathening the poor little ponies.The three of them looked upwards and knew that they had to seek refuge but their attempts were quickly frustrated by the presence of a mysterious mare very like the one Lyra pictured in her dreams.

"AHHH, run away, it's Nightmare Moon!" yelled Pinkie Pie.

"Oh, look!" said a glad Twilight, "It's just Princess Luna...wait, what?"

They all kneeled before the regal mare but she despised protocol and felt more informal so instead she greeted them with a more delicate tone of voice, "Oh, for the love of Equestria girls, it's just me, let's cut to the chase, shall we?"

"Perish you will, perish you will, just keep very still..."


"If it's about the Festival I think 'somepony'..." said Twilight looking back at Lyra, "...has something to tell you about it."

"Say what now?" said the mint colored unicorn.

"Well, young filly?" asked Luna with a serious look in her eye.

"There's trouble all over Ponyville! Something very wrong is taking place, I tried to save my friends and then we wound up here for no reason..." said Lyra rampaging.

"So I noticed," said Luna. "Sadly your words are all true." Twilight's jaw dropped after she confimed what Luna said and couldn't helped being so puzzled.

"It's all true! You mean, you know what's happening then?" she asked as she stood wide eyed. The Princess nodded and continued, "You've done well, Lyra, but you must excuse for it was I who brought you here so we could speak in a neutral ground. These are the private Canterlot Gardens where from time to time I practice my meditation and here I can see things exactly as they are. Follow me, we have some extremely imporant matters to discuss. I perceive a potential threat..."

"Then that means..." said Twilight softly, "That wild story that Lyra said is all true?"

"YOU made a HUGE mistake!" said Pinkie Pie as she jumped for joy, "Now who has to appologize now?"

"Well, your colorful friend may have exaggerated but there's a lot of ground to be covered in this one," said Luna. After removing her hood she conjured a spell with her mighty horn and soon the ponies were taken to a particular wing in the inmensity of Canterlot Castle.

In a chamber they entered there were at least four statues shaped like griffins carefully distributed to safely guard the crates which had ancient symbols inscribed very much like the ones used in the time of Starswirl, the Bearded.

"Golly!" cried Pinkie Pie. "What is THIS place, it looks soooo scary..."

"It must be, my little pink friend," said Luna. "For this is The Chamber of The Seven Epic Treasure. This is where we keep the weapons of ancient times that have been used to settle great battles to destroy fierce enemies such as Discord.

You see, before my sister and I arrived to Equestria the creatures suffered new threats even though they were quite aware of the values of friendship and harmony. When sadness and confusion came into their lives not only was is chaotic but it also brought the presence of an emptiness, spirits that were known as the Night Shadowers."

"Like the ones I saw in my dream!" cried Lyra.

"Yes," continued Luna, "Thanks to them every single feeling that emanates from a pony becomes its exact opposite and wishes only to destroy everything around them. Discord knew about this quite well, so it is said that he fell into obscurity and used that power to bring out the worst in every pony and turned them into foes once again. Thus, Starswirl, the Bearded was one of those to still care about every pony else and was willing to put up a fight. So he made an alliance with six of the most gifed unicorns who knew about the High Magic and forged these weapons to unite any pony regardless of their creed, race or form so they knew they shared the same fears.

The Epic Candle; it is said that its light is so intense that it can be seen all over the land to guide ponies into a single place. The Epic Tiara; when a kind-hearted unicotn wears it her powers increase to locate any friend regardless of distance. The Epic Pitcher; by pouring ordinary water into any stream it multiplies the amount and makes it clear as crystal for the needy towns. The Epic Dagger; by concentrating the good will of any pony it striked with fury against any dangerous creature and put it into a deep slumber. The Epic Shield; protected by a magic so powerful that could only be destroyed as long as its creators lived. The Epic Cloak; its warmth allowed ponies to witstand any attack from the ancient Windigos, and finally..." said Luna. She proceeded to open one of the crated and said,"The Epic Lyre..."

The three ponies were stunned when they noticed it was empty,so Luna explained, "...that you can see clearly is gone. Some pony broke into the chamber unnoticed and stole the lyre without a trace. It is vital that we have it back. Unlike any of the other treasures any pony else would tell you that music is one of the strongest forms of magic there is to find. Even nature is quitee aware that a single melody is a good excuse to keep us together."

"I know, I know," cried Lyra proudly, "My mom always told me stories like those when I was a filly but now it's just considered little more tha a legend, hey, Twi?"

"Alright, alright," sighed the purple unicorn. "i also read about those legends. Starswirl is one of my favorite heroes as well because I know he was a key to bring peace to the land but then why weren't able to defeat Discord with all of these?"

"I understand that, Twilight Sparkle and their efforts are recognized dearly but they still weren't enough. The magic that Celestia and I created was meant to be shared among all creatures and not becomes elements that could harbor greed. That's why The Elements of Harmony proved to be more effective because they're made from the strength that relies in our hearts. And that is why we can make anything possible."

"I still don't get it," said Pinkie Pie.

"We brought change yet Discord gave us a huge headache. The battle lasted for days and weeks and...well, you must be familiar with the rest of the story. The good thing was that after we sealed Discord into stone in return the ancient ponies surrendered their treasures as this was a custom. Do you remember the night I complemented you for your costume, Twilight?" said Luna.

"Yes, so did you see him in the flesh?"

"Evidently he was the one who gave us the Epic Treasures and died of old age. That tragic day was when the Epic Lyre was last played. I tried it myself."

"Wow," cried Lyra."I didn't know you had that talent in you!"

Luna smiled timidly, "Well, in fact I was younger and a little bit out of practice, however, it is time for the lyre to come home. You three ponies have been spared for this quest."

"A quest, now?" said Lyra.

"Yes, indeed," continued Luna. "According to ponylore this prodigious instrument plays the notes from the heart. If the feelings of such pony are pure the music will guide them well and produce a great inner peace. But on the contrary if the heart of the pony is as black as a thousand nights and impure the notes will enchant anyone and will do what he or she desires. It was this humble instrument that brought us to Equestria. I guess you can say we heard their call, that's why it's so valuable! I am very fond of it." Luna stood crestfallen as she gently kicked the grounded and then looked from side to side begging for an answer.

Pinkie Pie exploded in tears but considering how random she was she quickly shifted her sad face into a more optimistic one,"Awww, Princess, don't feel bad, we'll have that pretty instrument and we'll be back in less time that you can say CUPCAKES!"

"Cupcakes..." replied Luna.

"Oh, sorry!" said the pink little pony. "We'll try harder."

"I'm afraid it's not going to be that simple, Pinkie," said Twilight in a serious tone, "We never stood up against ancient magic, above all, do you know who stole the lyre?"

"I was dying to tell you that..." said Lyra.

"It's alright, I think I know who it is, please forgive me for not trusting you."

"Oh sure, no problem!" cried Lyra happily, "But Luna, why won't you come with us to get the Lyre back, don't you remember how to play it?"

"It has never been mine to begin with for it can be only played by descendent of the pony who forged it. If the lyre chooses you, Lyra Heartstrings then you must listen to what it has to say, are you up to this quest?!" Luna levitated a few feet above the ground while her tone of voice sounded darker and deeper, "Oh, I'm terribly sorry for using the Royal Canterlot Voice, you do understand me, right?"

"Very well Princess, if we've been able to put up a fight against Discord for sure this will be no problem no matter how bad it gets, or my name isn't Twilight Sparkle!" said the pony so proudly.

"Ahem..." coughed Lyra.

"And by my side will be Lyra and Pinkie, fow now."

Luna nodded, "Very well then, your journey begins as of...NOW!"

And in a single puff Luna disappeared leaving a trail of stardust behind.

"Boy, that Luna sure knows how make a GOOD exit," cried Pinkie Pie.

Twilight looked from side to side and noticed they were still in the castle so they would need to travel on ground.

"All of this sounds terrific and all, but what do you suppose comes next?" said Lyra in a rather sarcastic tone.