• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 925 Views, 5 Comments

The Tale of The Epic Lyre - Magenta



Lyra, Twilight and Pinkie form an usual alliance to retrieve the missing Epic Lyre to save Ponyville

  • ...
 5
 925

Chapter 2: Caution

CHAPTER 2: CAUTION


After returning home in Ponyville Lyra grew extremely quiet and absent. Lovely Bon Bon didn’t want to make her feel worse after they had heard the bad news that had she lost the audition, she even offered her a cup of delicious chocolate with extra marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles ... and with more chocolate and mint . However the glum pony gave only a slight sip and walked to the terrace. “Thanks, but I don’t feel that great, “she said in a calm tone.


“Do you wanna hear what happened back here, because the day was rather nice! Pinkie and I are organizing a big sale this year,” said the earth pony.


“ Well, if you want to play along …” continued the unicorn. “I made ??some friends and some enemies …”


“ Really?" BonBon said. “Who could possibly even dream of becoming your foe, why you’re so friendly!”


“ Well, the world’s a silly place yet is it normal for someone to bump into you and intend to hurt you at the same time?”


BonBon made a gesture as if she were really interested in helping, “No, I think not, unless ... it was someone who wanted to win at any cost.”


“That's it! I don’t know how to explain it but wanted to win SO badly, as if he had an ace up his sleeve.”


“ Do you know him by any chance?”


“I've never seen in my life, much less have heard of him. I will be alert for anything …”


BonBon laughed but with no intention to offend, “Oh, sweetie, you have a very amazing imagination!”


“Well, that's logical, all unicorns are born with it. It is the source of all our magic.”


The pony tenderly kissed and patted Lyra on the back, “Don’t stay up late, tomorrow is the festival, you have sweet dreams,” thus she went to bed.


Lyra had a hard time sleeping that night because in her head she was still being haunted by the melody that had emerged from the instrument Knight Shade jealously carried it was turning into a call is as if someone wanted something from her.



“Well, it's like BonBon says, it’s just my hyperactive imagination …” Lyra said as she threw a pillow over her head.


But as soon as she closed her wide eyes and began to dream she had awakened in a field of honeysuckle, this time a little bit different from the Canterlot private garden. They had turned a purple instead of the characteristic pastel pink. The atmosphere felt very heavy and stressful. Lyra could feel her body was heavier than usual.

"Damn! where am I?”...she said. “Eww, this makes me feel so icky …” She tried to get up with all her might but couldn’t as something or someone was tying her to the ground.


“...” said a womanish slurry voice. “.”


Said another even more acute, “.”


Lyra could see clearly notice that those voices belonged to ghostly figures of what looked like large mares.


“U know, that sounds really cool and all but... well ... “ said the turquoise pony with a broken voice, “but it wouldn’t be such a bad idea if you loosen me up a bit, eh?”


They shouted enraged in unison, !”


Lyra was paralyzed but she felt her heart beating like a crazy drum.


“...” said the Night Shadowers again and again.


A tall thin stranger slowly approached. From her came a blinding light, warm with a commanding presence. Lyra felt infected by the energy radiating from this mare and broke free from these supernatural creatures until ...


WHAM! The dreamy young pony rolled to the ground causing a commotion. BonBon awakened and looked down to see what had happened and what was her surprise to find his partner upside down wagging her tail.


"Ah, hahaha! Hello, how are you? Not so good, right?”


“Ughhhh …” BonBon grumbled. “When are you going to put this behind you?”





It was a delightful morning the next sun was rather crispy but tolerable. Spike went down to Carousel Boutique for more favors to his beloved Rarity as the Summer Festival was just a few hours away.


“ Oh, thank you for offering to help, Spikey Wikey! exclaimed the elegant unicorn with purple curly mane,”No doubt this is the best decor crafted by the likes of me, I really outdid myself this time,” shesaid to herself mesmerized, “Rarity, would you delight us opening a brand new boutique in Canterlot, sure, sure...”


"WEEEELL...,” Spike replied, “I don’t think it’s such a good idea to leave Ponyville …”


Rarity was concerned with this last comment and accidentally dropped a piece of blue cloth for the stage. The pink dragon said blushing and twitching his fingers, “it’s because we would miss you a lot if you left this place where you were born,” Immediately the expression of the unicorn changed to a wide smile and gave him a big hug, “Awwww, you are SO sweet ... now would you mind helping me to straighten this material? It has to be ready for tonight ... I heard a mysterious singer from a land far away has come to delight us with his amazing music.”


“Really ?” Spike said, “and perhaps you know who he is?”


“NOOOO, but doesn’t that make him even more attractive? Only that he is a young pony from Greyville,” said Rarity a tad inspired. Twilight came in feeling very refreshed to see that everything was being done in almost perfect timing.


“Well, it certainly seems that you guys have the situation under control,”exclaimed the purple unicorn. “Well, then I guess I’ll just mark it down on my list this carefully and ...”


Suddenly some pony crashed against Twilight again and that was none other than Lyra who looked like a total train wreck.


“Lyra, by Starswirl’s beard , what’s going on with you?” said the pony striving to get up.


“Twilight, please, you gotta listen to me! It’s a matter of extreme importance!”


“My, what manners, darling crashing just like that?” said Rarity.


“I overheard that things didn’t go so well at the audition back in Canterlot, right?” Twilight said.


Lyra shook her mane and said proudly, “Oh, yeah, the audition! Well, it doesn’t matter now, I think they’re still not ready for my style but that's just me, right?...” and then she stared at Twilight “Listen, whatever you do, don’t listen to the song.”


“What did you say?” replied the young magic student, “What song?”


Lyra made gestures of despair taking with the hooves to the face, “The festival, of course. I feel that something very bad will happen tonight and it’s no joke, my intuition tells me so!”


Upon her statement, Twilight, Rarity and Spike laughed in unison with no intention to offend. Lyra, on the other hand frowned. “I think you've been hanging around too much with Pinkie, eh?” said Spike, “and especially because of her Pinkie sense.”


“And who is talking about Pinkie Pie, what does she have to do with all of this?”


Suddenly everyone’s favorite pink pony came along with BonBon who was bringing a load of tasty treats in boxes labeled with cupcakes, chocolates and more.


“Hi ya!” the uneasy mare, “Oh, good morning Lyra, fancy seeing you here what’s up?”


“Speak of the devil,” Lyra said pointing to the pony in question.


BonBon interrupted the conversation trying to reason with her best friend, “Ahem ... so that's why you left home so early...you’re not causing any trouble, are you?”


“Look, I just want to help, when I say that something will happen it WILL HAPPEN!” cried the turquoise unicorn, “But don’t say I didn’t warn you, okay?”


“Nothing can go wrong today, the temperature is fabulous, there’s such a relaxing morning breeze, oh, my stars...,” said Rarity slightly nervous. “Of course! Sweetie Belle also be singing today, it’s a little surprise.


“Really?” Twilight Sparkle exclaimed, “Well I’m glad she finally came to her senses so that she can gain her cutie mark1”


“Oh, brother …” Lyra said quietly.


“Ah, but of course! Along with the other girls, but it's clear why I am making a special effort to make the stage decor extra special!” Rarity was doing a few tricks with her natural unicorn magic to raise some drapes for the Festival which carried the Spirit of Music, which also had its memorial statue in the Canterlot Maze..


“Yes, no doubt will be the perfect setting for a disaster …” said the turquoise unicorn very quietly.


“You said something, honey?” Rarity asked Lyra.


- NO, NO, don’t worry about me but what happened to that old code that said that all unicorns must be united? Lyra said. The Old Code of the Unicorns goes back to the times of the Preclassic and I quote, “!”


Twilight knew this chant quite well but it went obsolete ever since Celestia gained control of Equestria but also knew that Lyra had a nostalgia and fantasy tales, so she replied with great respect, “You are right, Lyra, but you see times have changed.”


“Sure,sure,” said the rebellious unicorn while she waved goodbye to her friends pony. Next she embraced BonBon. “You do believe me, right?”


“There is some truth in it but don’t overdo it, honey,” said the pony with soft pastel colors. “Always be alert but not completely paranoid.”


“Amen!” said Pinkie Pie, “ Hurry up BonBon, “there’s plenty of more boxes to bring!”


As she saw the girls being so productive and all and without a care in the world Lyra felt as she was becoming some sort of shadow, something completely useless and out of place. So sad was she that she kept dragging her hooves all the way home.

Not so far away in the heart of Sweet Apple Acres the young team of the Cutie Mark Crusaders held a meeting at their clubhouse to put the finishing touches of what would seem to be an astounding performance, or at least far better the first time.


"Ahem!" cried Scootaloo, "Well, Crusaders the time has come in which they'll finally take our work seriously and stop being just a comedy act."


"I didn't see anything wrong with that!" replied Sweetie Belle,"I really enjoyed what we did that time, the crowd loved us!"


" Yeah, yeah, yeah, and that was fine for just a bunch of amateurs," said the orange pegasus. She unfolded what seemed to be an enormous plan, " And since we already gained some experience this time we will go for total awesomeness!”


“Sweet!” cried Applebloom jumping with joy.


“Here is what I have in mind; a bigger platform, and then I will descend from it and you two will follow!”


“But we can´t fly, Scootaloo!” said the little unicorn with curly mane.


“Ah, yeah! That´s why I always have cooler ideas , so you follow me out of an extra rugged smoke screen!”


“Hmmm,” Applebloom said, “ a little bit peppy for summer but I'll do anything to earn my cutie mark.”


“Obviously that's what we three want but it's like Twilight says, “you never know when it´s going to appear!” Sweetie Belle replied with wisdoms.


“Then it´s settled,” and all said in unison, “The Cutie Mark Crusaders take the stage once more!”


At the same time a malevolent laughter was heard in the woods as if the wind howled. The three girls hugged each other and then Sweetie Belle inevitably cried, “Wha-wha-wha what was that?”


“Now girls!” said the orange pony with confidence in her words. “ It´s only the wind, don´t get carried away!”


“I was about to say that but didn´t that make you shake your flank? …” Applebloom said.


“Well, that wasn´t very funny at all...” Sweetie Belle said with her legs trembling.

“Then do as Pinkie does ...giggle at the ghosties!” Scootaloo said. And so the little fillies ignored what seemed to them intimidating about that mysterious shriek and continued to practice for the big night.



Meanwhile in Canterlot the sun began to set and the elegant Princess Luna with transparent mane adorned with the stardust had appeared a little early and had agreed to talk with her regal sister. She walked side by side in the main terrace looking somewhat uneasy.

“Oh, come now, why the long face?” Celestia asked in a very maternal tone.

“Tia!” Luna cried running to kiss the princess. “ I´m glad you're happy!” said the other.

“But of course since you´re offering me a second chance to set things right and rule like any other in Equestria!”

“Of course I am! We shall make the most out of the longest day of the year, but tell me, is something bothering you?”

Luna looked crestfallen and frowned,” not at all! But I have this sinking feeling that something could go wrong.”

“Oh ... “ sighed Celestia, "if you mean about what happened in the past there´s no need to even mention it because that you can not change it but only learn from it. Father would be so proud to know we're doing a good example of this realm, we never had it so good so there is no reason to doubt.”

“But it´s that …” said Luna desperate until her older sister interrupted her gently placing her hoof on her snout, “No, no, say no more. You know what happens when there´s doubt in your heart and there is nobody who can help you it only feeds the Night Shadowers and you don´t wan´t that to happen, do you?”

“ Oh, of course not. Yet I had never seen anything like that, things used to be more easier when we traveled from land to land.”

Celestia wondered at this last remark, “Do you still remember these things even after thousands of years?”

“I remember the time you fell off the bed and thought it was an earthquake but I was doing magic to levitate you from the ground.”

“Because I just realized that you wanted to prove your talents,” said Celestia.

Princess Luna said trying to regulate their tone of voice, “Don´t worry sis, I won´t let fear get in the way of my feelings.”

Celestia ended her sentence, “So be it."



Twilight looked a little tense for all the activities that she was coordinating for the festival but forgot she had Rarity to give her full support and ensure that every last detail achieved perfection. Moreover, the young unicorn was perhaps exaggerating a bit, Lyra warnings began to echo in her mind and thought aloud, “And what if she´s right? After all she did have more influence than me at school.”

But there was no time for this, she had been called by Rarity to go on stage and monitor the lighting. Meanwhile, the Mayor convened to lots and lots of colorful ponies who came from near and far with their ticket in hand or to be more correct in their mouths.

There were also several stands where Applejack sold apple-based products including her famous cider, only Pinkie Pie was missing yet she promised to bring a little surprise.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy came together and were chatting ever since they left the house in the woods.

“I´m truly surprised with Tank, I didn´t know he was so ingenious!”

“No sweat!” Rainbow said modestly, “He knows a lot of making neat gadgets! Did you know that its shell is a workshop of inventions? He just built this for me!” And then she presented a device she had on their baby blue wings.

“It's an amazing invention that increases my flight speed by 20%. Of course, I´m not supposed to bring them all the time but …”

Fluttershy dared to interrupt to tell her that the event was about to begin

"Fillies and gentlecolts!,” said the Mayor of Ponyville. “We are extremely proud to welcome the longest day of the year and to make the most of it I give you the reformed Princess Luna will help us open the very first Summer Night Festival!”

The ponies rejoiced while beating the ground with their hooves. It was truly rare to see this after Luna had broken into the town.

“Ah, look at that!” said the lavender coated unicorn, “You certainly don’t see that every day so I’d say you’re definitely had some wild idea about this,”she said as she stared at the turquoise unicorn.

"Are you kidding me? replied annoyed."You know Twilight, you should really give some ponies a second chance."

"Can't we just discuss this later and enjoy the rest of the evening like nothing has happened?"

"Well, if you say so, Twi ..." Lyra took a Twilight by surprise and wrapped her arm around her neck while she tousled her mane.

"Ahh, cut it out!" she said, struggling to free herself.

"Ah, those wonderful days of magic school!"

"I'm glad they're over now..."

Lyra interrupted, "Wait, wait! It's Luna."

The elegant and subtle combination of unicorn and pegasus graced the stage and approached it in a serene way. She wore a velvet coat and revealed her delicate star studded mane. There was suspense in the air.

Luna cried energetically, "CITIZENS OF PONYVILLE! I mean ..." she said while trying to modulate her voice, "How are you? I've been missing since last Nightmare Night but I can guarantee you that this will be ten times greater! I carefully selected the most glorious music any pony has ever heard, everything to make the night is so prodigious and inspiring as it should be and not a thing coming from the depths of darkness ..."

Suddenly there was a very noticeable silence as the atmosphere had become very serious.

"Well then, I declare the Summer Night Festival officially opened!"

The crowd was roaring with excitement, Rainbow Dash said,"Boy, that Luna sure know how to make a good entrance!"

Fluttershy looked pale, "If...you...say...so."

The stage was dipped with darkness as a banner with the emblem of the Cutie Mark Crusaders gradually appeared.

"Oh, how wonderful! The girls are up next," said Fluttershy flying in mid air and smiled, "They certainly have grown!"

"Of course!" said Rainbow Dash, "I wonder what Scootaloo is gonna do next!"

"Hold on, here they come ..." said Fluttershy nervously.

The lights died for a moment, the panic grew stronger.

"Nightmare Moon's back!" yelled Fluttershy as recalled that fateful occasion when the queen of eternal night attempted to take over Ponyville . She hid behind Rainbow Dash quickly and trembled.

"Relax, will ya'? That crazy old mare is gone, we banished her!"

Twilight made an effort to calm everypony down, "Quiet, I'm sure it's just a delay. Tell them, Lyra ... Lyra?"

But she remained quite still wagging her tail slightly, "Sorry Twi ... but this is just beginning ..."

The young student shook her friend but she became as stiff as rock.

A light blue pony in the audience named Shoeshine cried, "LOOK EVERYONE!"

The stage curtains rose gradually accompanied by mournful music like a harpsichord making it seem like a terrible dungeon.

"My dearest ponies ... lend me your ears for this will be the only and last melody you'll ever hear!"

Amid a cloud of artificial smoke a young colt appeared with pale skin and with stabbing eyes. Without a doubt Knight Shade had taken the stage.

Lyra couldn't move her legs yet for the fear had put her out of combat.

"I know I must DO something," she thought out loud, "But why can't I move?"

Twilght noticed that her good friend Applejack was acting rather quirky, "Ahem ... isn't it a little early for Nightmare Night? Confound it! Where's Applebloom and all the other gals?"

"It seems there was a slight change of plans ...however, I'm beginning to think why Lyra was acting so strange and mesmerized, that colt sure is cute!"

" Oh, I know that look, sugarcube," said Applejack.

Knight Shade took out the mystic lyre, this time the ambient worked to listen clearly to the enchanted song. Daisy was the first to notice the effect," By Celestia, I LOVE YOU!"

And so other voices joined,"it's perfect, God ... Fluttershy, despite all her innocence and kindness, "I must admit I had never taken the opportunity to witness something like this in my short life but ... that boy is so , is so ..."

"That's super awesome!" said Rainbow,"If we combined the awesomeness with the greatness and the coolness ...we'd get THIS!"

"What in Equestria is that ghastly sound?" Twilight said. "It's certainly not bad but..."

Lyra awoke from her trance,"Oh, for peace's sake, I just remembered, that song is cursed! You have to stop listening to it at once!"

"Well, Idon't see nuthin' wrong with it," Applejack cried, "actually it's so damn good it lifts up my spirits!"

"No, no, no, listen to me, stubborn ponies!"

"ENOUGH!" shouted the purple unicorn. "It's a catchy tune alright but it can't possibly be cursed, that's absurd!"

Applejack said while she was happily cantering, "I think some pony's mighty jealous..."
"Applejack, are you okay?" said Twilight puzzled.

"Sure, can't a country girl kick her hooves nicely for a change or what?"

"It is ... the way that you're dancing ...all of them are following his every move!"

Lyra suddenly approached her," I TOLD YOU! They are acting as if they were possessed!!"

"Well, why can't you understand that maybe Knight Shade is a great performer after all? We should wait if anything out of the ordinary takes place."

"S-sure, Twi," grumbled Lyra, "Why don't we just go ahead and wait for a pony apocalypse while we're at it."

Twilight could reply no more for it was evident now that every other pony in the crowd remained still and with empty looks upon their faces like they had seen a ghost. She felt now that the stranger from Greyville knew some very good tricks despite having no magic at all...