• Published 3rd Mar 2012
  • 1,031 Views, 9 Comments

A Night to Remember - Paradigm



After a night on the town, six friends wake up in a colourful land.

  • ...
4
 9
 1,031

The Hangover

Prologue - The Day After...

How much did I drink last night? a man thought to himself as he lay on his stomach, eyes closed in a futile attempt to stop his world from spinning. Must have been a good one if I’m this hungover with a small smile creeping onto his lips, I think I’ll stay here on this soft, soft grass until the dizziness goes away…wait grass?.

With some effort he forced his eyes open and ignoring the sudden wave of nausea that hit him he looked down and noticed that he was laying on some grass, Ok...this is weird, I’ve never woken up in a forest before…well except that one time but it doesn’t really count since I was actually sober then. Looking around through blurry eyes he tried to see if he could recognise anything but this forest looked completely alien to him in his current state, “Well” he sighed “better get up and get out of this forest and look for the others”.

Closing his eyes as he tried to stand he noticed that his arms seemed heavier than usual and opened his eyes to find out the problem, “What the actual fuck!” he exclaimed when he saw two steely grey hooves instead of where his arms and hands were the night before. I’ve got to be dreaming he thought as he began to panic there is no-way I am a freaking pony. Seeing that there was a stream nearby he crawled as best he could and after dunking his head a few times to freshen up he inspected himself further and saw that the reflection was a indeed a pony; he was dark grey of hard worked metal and his tail, I have a tail!, was a deep blue colour like that of the night sky. “Aw man” he whined, “I get turned into a pony and I’m not a Pegasus or Unicorn…lame. Still I gotta get out of here, look for the others and find out what’s going on.”

Struggling to his feet and allowing the head rush to pass he took on tentative step forward and promptly returned to the ground. I can’t even walk! Stupid pony body…at least I know that this can’t be a dream otherwise I could walk…and my side wouldn’t hurt from that fall, pulling himself up he tried again trying to think how horses walk. His second attempt was more successful pulling off a small trot but had to stop because the movement didn’t agree with his weak stomach…or his headache.
The third attempted proved fruitful as he managed a slow, slightly unbalanced walk, ok I’ve got this walking thing down he thought to himself glad something went right today now if this is a forest and I’m in Equestria that means…this is the Everfree Forest...ah crap. Now aware of the possible dangers that could await he began to quickening his pace, despite losing some of his balance, and was constantly looking around for any predators that might be lurking for an easy meal.

Unfortunately by constantly turning his head from side to side he wasn’t paying much attention to the path in front of him which is why the appearance of a small yellow and pink Pegasus took him by such surprise. “Ahhh!” he screamed as he backed up onto his hind legs making the large stallion look even bigger, promptly made the small Pegasus do the same by jumping into the bushes to get away from the crazy grey stallion.

Calming down as another wave of nausea hit him he now looked to the quivering bush, “Woah sorry there” he said although his voice was still shaky due to the rush of fear that went through him, “my bad should’ve been looking where I was going”. Getting no response of the occupier of the bush he began to move on but suddenly had the air knocked out of his lungs and landed as a heap on the floor by some unknown force;

“Fluttershy are you ok?” asked a concerned, obviously female, voice

“Hey jerk where do you get off scaring my friend huh” said a second, more aggressive female voice coming from an very angry blue Pegasus with a bright multi-coloured mane.

“It’s ok Rainbow she’s fine look” the purple Unicorn said as she pointed to the yellow Pegasus covered in leaves and branches but she was completely ignored by their blue friend.

“Pick on someone your own size, just because Fluttershy’s the quietest pony in Ponyville doesn’t mean you people can pick on her and-“she ranted at the mass of unmoving grey pony.

While she was ranting at him Nick was actually trying to keep himself from being sick, considering now he was winded as well as having a terrible hangover this day just keeps getting better and better he thought bitterly. Struggling to his feet he looked at the new arrivals; the enraged Pegasus he already knew as Rainbow Dash ‘I know I spooked her friend but she doesn’t have to overreact like this’ wincing at the new pain in his chest, looking over to the Pegasus in question he noticed that she was being checked over by a purple Unicorn, Ah Twilight Sparkle, now there’s a pony I can deal with unaware of the smile on his face.

“What’s so funny huh? I’ll knock that smile right off your face!” As she began to make another charge at him she was enveloped by a purple glow pinning her to ground.

“Calm down Rainbow, we don’t know what happened and you knocked this poor pony down for no good reason”

“No reason!” she screamed as she looked at Twilight “You heard Fluttershy scream and-“

“Yes but I also heard a stallion scream as well, which you would have heard if you didn’t just fly off like you usually do” looking at her friend with a scornful look. “Not only that but you could’ve really hurt this pony”.

“Like I care, I am not saying sorry to him Twilight. I mean what if he was hurting Fluttershy then what huh”

Nick just looked at the two arguing mares and saw that the mare in question was looking at him, seeing that he noticed she squeak and closed in on herself and hid her face under her long bangs.

“So what Dash? See this is just like you; you rush into things without thinking, what if it had been timberwolves? Or a bear?”

“Then I would’ve beaten then too! No-one hurts Fluttershy while I around” Rainbow said puffing her chest in a display of pride.

Walking over to the yellow Pegasus while the other two were distracted he bent his head down, “Sorry if I scared ya, I’ve kinda lost my bearings and when you popped out of nowhere you scared me” he chuckled.

“Hey! Why are you talking to Fluttershy after what you did?”

“He’s probably apologising Rainbow calm down” the unicorn cried throwing her hooves in the air.

“It’s ok, I should’ve been paying more attention to where I was walking” Fluttershy mumbled quietly under her mane.

“Don’t apologise Fluttershy! Tell that jerk-“

“Rainbow, be quiet” Twilight shouted getting annoyed at her friend’s persistence in the matter.

“Nah it ain’t your fault, I kinda woke up in the forest and I’ve lost my friends” the stallion said with a grimace “and now I’ve got an overprotective Pegasus out of my blood” looking at the mare in question.
“Now that’s been settled” the unicorn began “Hello I’m Twilight Sparkle, this is Rainbow Dash” pointing her hoof at the blue Pegasus “and the pony you scared is Fluttershy, what’s your name?”

Oh crap Nick thought ‘I need a name; I can’t use Nick- what kind of pony is called Nick anyway.

“Man is this guy brain dead or what” Rainbow Dash said seeing that there was no response from the grey stallion.

Think, think Nick come on. Greymane? No my mane is blue. Blue Steel? Bah I’m not naming myself after that film. Panicking at looking like an idiot he thought harder; Umm, Umm…Cobalt? Yea that’ll do for now; it’s short, sweet and it sounds pretty cool too.

“The name’s Cobalt” he replied “Sorry that it took a bit I’m still pretty hungover and the pain in my side isn’t do much as well” giving Rainbow a mocking smile.

“Hello Cobalt, I’m guessing you’re not around here are you?”

“What gave it away?” he laughed, “I went out drinking with some buddies last night and the next thing I remember I wake up in the middle of this forest” he explained “mind helping me get to Ponyville to see if my friends are there?”

“Of course I wouldn’t leave a pony in need” quickly looking at Rainbow to silence any further protests, and getting no response from Fluttershy. “Follow us and you’ll be in Ponyville in no time”

“Sweet, thanks” he replied as he followed the three mares towards the exit of the forest, I really hope the others are here too, I don’t think I can deal with all of this…joy…by myself, especially if that pink mare tries to welcome me with one of her songs...