• Published 8th Oct 2013
  • 784 Views, 16 Comments

Unlikely Places - flutterstare



Seven hundred years after the disappearance of the legendary Princess Twilight Sparkle, one young mare and her best friend are destined to uncover the secrets of the past and unlock the mysteries hidden away below the Library in Canterlot.

  • ...
1
 16
 784

What She Wished For

1

What She Wished For

This is Autumn.

Autumn’s coat is a hazel brown that might remind you of a perfectly toasted marshmallow. Her dark orange mane hangs in messy locks around her ears – ears that she would tell you are too big. She has piercing blue eyes that often seem like they’re looking right through you. She’s a little short for her age but smart as a whip, and she is never one to back away from a challenge. She doesn’t have wings or a horn, she doesn’t have many bits to her name, and almost nothing exciting has ever happened to her. Her life is simple, straightforward, and uneventful. Autumn is not a happy pony.

On this particular day Autumn was especially unhappy because of the large red D scrawled across the top of her essay on Equestrian royalty. She couldn’t help glancing at it as she grumpily walked home from school, but that only made her more upset. Autumn had never really liked her teacher, but now he may as well have been some abominable reincarnation of King Sombra.

To be fair, it was supposed to be a research paper, not an opinion piece criticizing the current state of political affairs in the nation. Autumn couldn’t help herself. She had always been fascinated by the lives of those who inhabited the great palaces and ruled the lands for millennia. For somepony as ambitious as she was, the idea of holding so much influence in the hooves of so few was unbearably enticing. It was by far her favorite subject.

Ever since the Schism though, a majority of the public records on the lives and responsibilities of the royal family had either been confiscated or destroyed. These days almost all you can find is the usual propaganda. “Celestia is great and wonderful”, “Princesses are what’s best for Equestria”, and “Don’t question the system” is the short version of any literature available to somepony who didn’t have top security clearance in the Canterlot archives. This bothered Autumn to no end.

Not that she didn’t agree with the messages; it was clear to anypony living under Celestia that she was the best thing that had ever happened to Equestria. The kingdom over which she ruled had been one of peace and stability for thousands of years. No, it wasn’t the princess’s leadership that Autumn found irritating, but simply her refusal to share information about it.

The other students in her class may have been perfectly willing to conform to society’s standards, but Autumn was rebellious. While they all wrote their cookie-cutter essays on how amazing Celestia is and how perfect she makes everything she touches, Autumn dedicated her creative energy to critiquing the literary stranglehold the crown held on any and all documents about the Schism. It was actually a stunningly in-depth piece of schoolwork, worthy of somepony much older than she was. Autumn had high hopes when she turned it in; she thought it to be an example of her finest work.

Mr. Harshwhinny did not share her enthusiasm. An old fashioned stallion who was a stickler for the rules, the long-time teacher at East Side Secondary School had an affinity for crushing Autumn’s dreams. Ever since moving up to secondary school, Autumn had been getting into disputes with Harshwhinny over everything from her opinion of chemistry to the way she wore her mane.

It was difficult to understand why he was so sour around Autumn. He claimed to be descended from a long line of royal advisors and inspectors, positions having to do with the Equestria Games. Autumn had always assumed it was a bunch of baloney. Whatever the case, he apparently felt cheated out of the high standard of living he thought he deserved, and something about seeing Autumn’s youthful outgoing personality made him regret his life even more. As such, he decided that Autumn’s radically opinionated essay deserved no more than a D.

So Autumn was forced to walk all the way home through the streets of Manehattan carrying with her the depressing knowledge of her low score. She was angry, sad and frustrated all at the same time, three feelings which never mix well. She contemplated throwing her disgraced essay into one of the many garbage bins she passed on the sidewalk, but she had put so much work into it that doing so really would have been a waste.

As usual, the streets were crowded with ponies either coming home from work or heading out for the evening. Autumn had to dodge around the fast paced Manehattanites who payed little attention to the young mare. She didn’t mind though. When she was just a filly she used to pretend she was captain of the Wonderbolts, weaving in and out of obstacles and stunning the crowd. Now that she had grown more mature the idea seemed silly to her. Secretly she still enjoyed it however, and the little game helped take her mind off the disappointment in her saddlebag.

Eventually she reached the apartment building she had been forced to call home her entire life. Up seven flights of stairs she walked to the familiar door labelled 8C, spent a minute rooting through her bag for the key, and then trudged inside.

Upon entering, Autumn was surprised to find her father sitting on the sofa with a newspaper in his hooves. Autumn’s father usually worked late and she wasn’t used to seeing him right when she got home.

“Oh... Hi dad,” she said.

“Hello Breeze,” he replied without looking up from his paper. He had always preferred to call Autumn by her second name.

“You got off work early today?”

“Yep.”

There was an awkward pause.

“Anything interesting in the news?”

“Nope.”

Another pause. Autumn moved towards her bedroom but stopped short with one last attempt to initiate a conversation with her father.

“I almost failed an important essay at school today.”

“That’s nice dear.”

She sighed and walked into her room, shutting the door behind her. Her father had to work hard to provide for both Autumn and himself, and the work was beginning to take a toll on him. As the years passed he became more and more detached from his own daughter. It was the sad reality of being a single parent.

Autumn remembered being young and playing with her father in the park. She remembered how he used to be so supportive of Autumn’s aspirations. He had introduced her to the Wonderbolts when he took her to see them live at the Manehattan Arena. She had been so amazed by the show that he even bought her a poster which still hung on her wall. For the next three Nightmare Nights Autumn would only dress up as a member of the elite flying team. Her costume came complete with a suit, goggles, and styrofoam wings. Even though she wasn’t a pegasus, her father always used to tell her that if she believed hard enough all of her dreams could come true. Then they would run down to Central Park and play tag or catch until the sun went down and it was time for supper.

Those were the days when she was happy; when her teacher wasn’t out to make her miserable; when her father was interested enough in her life to have a normal conversation with her. Those were the days Autumn was sure she would never see again.

She threw herself on her bed and contemplated how she might get back at Harshwhinny. Maybe she could put ink in his coffee or shred one of his rather dull ties. These weren’t very good ideas. She stared at the ceiling and wished that her father had gotten mad and punished her for nearly failing an assignment. At least then she would have something to do.

She reached over and pulled the essay out of her bag. The large red D made it difficult to read the title: The Information Exception, How the Autocratic Equestrian Government has Cheated its Citizens Out of Their Right to Knowledge. Autumn decided it was well worth display, regardless of what Harshwhinny thought. She pinned it to the wall right next to her old Wonderbolts poster.

It wasn’t easy to find space for it though. The walls of Autumn’s room were plastered with a collage of decorative hangings. Posters, banners, flags, postcards, newspaper articles, just about anything that had ever interested her. Much of the paraphernalia was dedicated to the Wonderbolts, but there were also images of far away places and famous landmarks. Autumn surrounded herself with distant wonders of the world; mountains, cities, castles, forests, all truly remarkable places. Of course, she had never actually been to any of them.

With the exception of the Wonderbolts merchandise, everything she kept in her room acted as a reminder of her goals. She hoped that it might one day inspire her to go out and see the world. Manehattan was a fine place to live, but Autumn wanted to live life to the fullest. She had always promised herself that someday she’d break the bonds of lower-middle class pony life and go do everything she ever wanted to. There is a lot to see out there, and all of it was on her bucket list.

Autumn lay back down on her bed. She was wondering how she might spend the rest of her afternoon when a sharp tapping sound at her window stole her attention. She glanced over expecting to see a stray pigeon, but instead found herself looking into the smiling face of a royal blue pegasus.

Autumn chuckled and pulled herself up to let her best friend in. The pegasus proceeded to fly upside-down into the room with hooves crossed and a rather smug expression on her face.

“Pretty sweet, huh?” the newcomer gloated, “I just learned how to keep balance like this.”

“Indy, you never cease to amaze,” said Autumn playfully. She took her seat back on the bed.

Indigo was only three days older than Autumn, a fact which had brought them together back in primary school. She was outgoing, daring and never cared much for rules. Autumn had always admired these qualities in her friend. It was part of what kept them so close, even after Autumn went on to secondary school and Indigo started working in her father’s bookstore. They had both gotten their cutie marks in the same week, they both had only one parent, and neither was a fan of conformity. Without a doubt, these two were born to be friends.

“You could’ve just used the door, you know.”

“Yeah, that wouldn’t have been lame or anything.” Indigo flipped herself upright and landed gracefully on the end of the bed. “Besides, I wanted to show off my new moves. Maybe one day I’ll be good enough to join those Wonderbolts you love so much.” She gestured to the old poster. “Hey, this is new...”

Noticing the essay tacked to the wall, Indigo moved in to get a closer look.

“Ouch. See this is why I’m glad I’m not in school anymore. Is this Whatshisface’s doing?”

“Was it the unfair grade or my complete misery that gave it away?” Autumn rolled over onto her stomach and let out a groan. “Maybe you’re right. Maybe I should just give up on school and go do something with my life.”

“Exactly!” Indy exclaimed “Who needs an education these days? Do you think any of the Wonderbolts ever went to secondary school? Of course not! They just followed their dreams, baby! That’s the way to do it, like I did.”

Autumn smirked. “I didn’t realize your dream was to become a bookstore clerk.”

“Yeah, well, it’s a work in progress,” Indy retorted. “C’mon, Autumn. Aren’t you always talking about how you wanna get out of this town and go do something meaningful?”

“Yes, but education is important if–”

“There’s no time like the present! You have to grab life by the reigns and take it where you want to go, or else it’ll pass you by!” Indigo’s movements suddenly became broad and elaborate as she launched into a dramatic inspirational speech. “Think of all these places,” she motioned at the posters on Autumn’s wall, “all these things you want to go and see. Is school going to help you get there?”

Autumn sighed. “Then what do you suggest I do? Just get up and leave? Just walk away from my life and go on an adventure?”

“Sure! That’s what I’d do. Hayseed, I might even come with you.”

Autumn smiled. As crazy as the idea was, she couldn’t say it didn’t sound inviting. “I’ll tell you what,” she said, “if the opportunity ever arises then I’ll take your advice and we’ll head out together on an adventure.”

An empty promise, but it satisfied Indigo.

“Great! I’ll hold you to it.” She playfully punched Autumn on the shoulder, and then noticed the clock on the bedside table. “Oops. I can’t stay: I was just dropping by on the way back to the store.” She flew briskly out the window, but not before stopping to turn and reiterate her point. “Sooner rather than later. It’ll be worth it, trust me.”

Autumn didn’t really take Indigo’s offer seriously; at least she thought she didn’t. Deep down inside though, she wished it could be true. She felt trapped in her little life, with virtually no hope of escape. Autumn would fall asleep that night dreaming up scenarios where she got to run away with Indigo. Unaware of how close to a real one she actually was.

* * *

The next morning was like any other for Autumn. Her alarm clock woke her up with its usual annoying BUZZ. She made a quick breakfast of cinnamon oatmeal, said goodbye to her father, and headed out the door.

The walk to school wasn’t very far, but Autumn hated waking up early. She only ever gave herself just enough time to book it down the street before she was late. Her success usually depended on how busy the streets were, and what the weather was like. Fortunately for Autumn, both were on her side today, and she found herself in the strange position of being at school before the doors opened.

There was a small queue of other students waiting outside. Autumn wasn’t really friends with any of them though, so she kept her distance. She took a seat on the lowest of the steps up to the front door, not quite sure what to do with herself.

Suddenly, Something caught her eye from across the street. Just across the road from East Side Secondary School is a small athletic park, seldom used since Physical Education was dropped from the curriculum. Standing at the edge of the usually deserted greenspace was a pony; or at least Autumn though it was a pony. Whoever it was, the figure was wearing a dark purple robe that draped down to the hoofs and covered the head with a hood. A symbol was embroidered into the front of the hood in gold thread, but Autumn couldn’t tell what it was at that distance. What was most disconcerting about the mysterious stranger though, was that he or she was looking directly at her.

Autumn stared back at the hooded figure, not sure if she should be scared. She was so puzzled that she didn’t even notice when the bell rang and students began shuffling into the school.

“Hey, move it weirdo!” called one of her less mannerly peers as he pushed by her to get up the steps.

Her concentration broken, Autumn turned to see the doors had opened and school was about to begin. She stood up and looked back across the road, but the robe and whoever was wearing it had vanished. Autumn gave the perplexing experience a few more seconds thought, and then trotted up the stairs. Perhaps it was just her imagination.

* * *

Between suffering through Harshwhinny’s droning lectures and refusing to touch the amorphous blob served in the cafeteria for lunch, school was about as fun as ever. Autumn only had one thing to look forward to in her class schedule, and that was history class. Partially because it was her favorite subject, but mostly because Thursday was movie day, and she got to spend a whole period watching archival footage instead of doing any work. She leaned back in her seat and let out a comfortable sigh when sixth period finally came, ready for an hour of relaxation.

“Alright, settle down,” said Mr. Harshwhinny with a detectable tinge of contempt in his voice, “Quiet down and let me draw the blinds so we can watch today’s film about the Equestro-Draconic Treaty.”

He walked around the room to pull down the window blinds one by one. Autumn followed him with her eyes, waiting patiently for the film to begin. When he finally came to the last window, Autumn glanced through it just before he pulled the blind down. What she saw made her gasp out loud. Standing just outside the window, staring right back through the glass was the purple hooded pony.

Autumn leapt out of her seat and across two desks to where Harshwhinny was standing.

“Wait!” she yelled and pulled the blind back open as quickly as she could, but found only an empty schoolyard looking back at her.

She couldn’t believe her eyes. She was sure somepony had been standing there mere seconds ago. The same somepony she had seen that morning.

Ahem,” Mr. Harshwhinny interrupted Autumn’s stunned silence, “If you are quite finished miss Breeze, this class is for serious education not foolishness!” He yanked the blind back over the window and marched grumpily to his desk.

Autumn straightened up and moved quickly back to her seat, trying to hide her blush from her snickering classmates. Now she was embarrassed and confused.

She didn’t pay much attention to the video at the front of the class that day. Her thoughts were consumed with the mysterious pony. The rational part of her brain wanted to say that her eyes were playing tricks on her, but that just didn’t feel right. The pony had seemed very real both times, and Autumn had never had hallucinations before. The idea that she might have a stalker wasn’t much more appealing though, so she eventually decided to put it out of her mind. Maybe it was just some bizarre coincidence.

Nevertheless, Autumn was especially cautious for the rest of the day and made sure to check her corners before proceeding down the hallway. When the last bell finally rang and it was time to go home, Autumn made her way briskly out of the building and headed down the well-worn path back home. She shiftily looked around as she walked, keeping an eye out for any reappearance of the stranger. The street was crowded as usual, and the hordes of people made for many good hiding spots.

She eventually made it to her apartment door stranger-free, and upon entering 8C let out a sigh of relief. Although she would have liked to know what the mysterious pony was up to, there was something frightening about him or her that made any further encounters somewhat undesirable.

She looked around the apartment, wondering if her father was home early again. Maybe she could tell him about it. Alas, it was apparently only a one-time luxury as he was nowhere to be seen. As if Autumn had really expected differently.

She headed to her room, deciding that the best she could do at the moment was hope Indigo dropped by. That way she’d have somepony to tell the story to. She threw her bag on the floor and flopped on her bed, falling into her routine of afternoon boredom. It was Thursday, which meant she had just over a week to go before the Wonderbolts were back in Manehattan for a big show. She had gotten her father to promise to take her, though they would undoubtedly be getting the cheapest seats available. It didn’t matter to Autumn: as long as she got to see them in action she would be happy. Watching the Wonderbolts was one of the few things that reminded Autumn of her childhood happiness, before her mother left and everything went downhill.

She looked at her Wonderbolts poster and tried to put herself in the hooves of that little laughing filly who sat on her daddy’s shoulders and watched the blue and yellow-clad pegasi speed across the sky, leaving behind their characteristic jet streams in amazing patterns. She could stare at that poster all day, just letting the happy memories flood back into her mind.

“Hey, wait a minute,” she said, suddenly noticing the barren patch of wall next to the poster. “Where did my essay go?”

She looked on the floor around her bed and then leapt down and checked underneath. “What the hay?” she exclaimed. She checked under the carpet and in all of her drawers. “Where on earth could it have gone?” Autumn was growing frustrated. She definitely didn’t remember moving it, and she would have found it by now if it had simply fallen off the wall. Just when Autumn was beginning to think that she really was having hallucinations, she noticed something else different about her room.

Somepony had left an envelope for her. It wasn’t anything fancy, but it had clearly been placed specifically for Autumn to notice it. It lay face-down right in the center of her nightstand with the words Autumn Breeze written in cursive across the back.

Autumn stared blankly, wondering how such a thing could have gotten into her room.

“I guess dad left this for me...” she thought out loud, although some part of her knew that this wasn’t true.

She flipped the envelope over. It was sealed shut with a wax stamp of an apple inside a triangle. Something about that symbol rang familiar with Autumn, but she ignored it and tore the seal open.

There was a parchment inside with a short note written on it. The message read:

We have been watching. We will come for you tonight.
Do not resist. Do not contact anyone. We have your father. He is safe.
All will be explained. Lærmuu Nefdiså oumn

Autumn read the note over and over again, desperately wishing each time that she had misread something. An avalanche of thoughts poured through her head. She felt like she was in a dream, there was no way this could be real.

Finally after reading the parchment for a fifth time she threw it to the ground and started breathing heavily. She was scared and confused and had no idea what to do. What’s more, if what the note said was true then whoever wrote it had taken her father and wouldn't let her contact authorities. She was trapped, there was no way out except to wait for whoever left the envelope to come and take her away.

Then she encountered another horrifying thought: somepony had been in her room. She looked around nervously and backed away from her closed closet door. Somepony had broken into her room that very day, and for all Autumn knew might still be there.

She wanted to run out of the apartment, but she was too afraid to set hoof outside. Her heart rushed and the room started to spin around her. Fear was engulfing her mind, but she knew she had to get away. She planned out emergency escape routes in her head, and when she had backed all the way up to the opposite wall she prepared to make a run for it.

A loud tapping on the window made her leap into the air, screaming . They’re here for me! She thought. I’m done for!

She whirled around expecting to see her kidnapper, but instead saw the amused face of Indigo, hovering outside her window. Autumn yanked the window open, pulled her friend in, and slammed it shut again. She was so relieved that Indigo had shown up that she could barely speak.

“Somepony’s on edge today,” Said the pegasus with a smirk “Where’s the fire?”

“Indigo this is serious!” Autumn interrupted and kicked the parchment across the floor to where her friend was standing. “I think someone kidnapped my dad and soon they’ll be back for me and I have no idea what to do! I need your help!”

Indigo gave Autumn a confused look, and then read the message at her hooves. “Whoa, this is serious...” she agreed, “and you’re sure this isn’t some practical joke or something?”

“I don’t know, but I’ve been having a very strange day. Between this and the hooded guy I’m not sure if...” Something clicked in Autumn’s mind. “The hooded guy... I bet he’s behind this!”

“Hooded guy?” Indy asked.

“I keep seeing this pony in a purple robe who I think has been following me. It can’t be a coincidence. Whoever that creep is, I bet he's the one who left this letter!”

“OK, so a stalker and a kidnapping. Autumn this definitely sounds to me like something that should be reported to the guards,” said Indigo.

“I can’t!” Autumn exclaimed, “Whoever wrote this has my dad, and who knows what they’ll do to him if I don’t comply.” Autumn sat down heavily on her bed and went silent. She felt like crying, but had long ago learned how to control herself.

Indigo was quiet too, apparently just as shocked as her best friend. It was she who finally broke the silence though, with an idea that was more than characteristic of the blue pegasus. “You could run away,” she suggested.

Autumn looked up at her friend. “Run away?” she repeated, “How on earth would that help me?”

“Well,” Indy explained, “you can’t stay here and wait for some robed creep to come and find you, and you can’t go running to anypony else for help. The way I see it your best option is to take off. Run far away from Manehattan or anywhere anyone can find you. I’ll stay here and find some way to get authorities involved. In the mean time you need to stay out of sight.”

Autumn stared at Indigo. This plan was absolutely ridiculous; but at the same time, what choice did she have? “But... where would I go?” she asked hesitantly.

“Somewhere far away from here,” Said Indigo “You have a long list of places you’ve always wanted to see right? Well why not choose one of those?”

Autumn considered this and then asked the obvious questions. “But where will I stay? And what will I eat? I don’t have any bits, you know that.”

“True, but who needs money when you’re living off the land?” Indy said decidedly, “You remember fillyscouts don’t you? Well it’ll be just like an extra-long campout. You can take your tent and sleeping bag, pack enough food to last until you find some more and then you’re all set!” Indigo picked up Autumn’s saddlebag and dumped all the school supplies out onto the bed. “This bag will do fine. Just fill it with everything you need, grab a map or two, and you’ll be off!”

Autumn looked skeptically at her school bag and then at her enthusiastic friend. She was getting way ahead of herself. There was no way she could just leave on such short notice with no planning.

“Look, I know this sounds crazy,” admitted Indigo, “but look around you Autumn. Look at all these places that you still haven’t been. Look at all these goals that you have yet to achieve and think about how long it will be until you get another opportunity to go and do something about it. This is a scary situation, but you have to make the most of it and trust that ol’ Indy Cavallino knows what she’s talking about.” She moved in close to Autumn and looked right into her eyes. “Can you do that Autumn? Can you trust me on this?”

Autumn looked back at her best friend and knew that she would never suggest anything she didn't genuinely think was a good idea. She had always been there for her, and this was no exception.

“I trust you Indigo,” said Autumn, “and I’ll take your advice.”

“Great!” exclaimed Indigo, “I’ll go get the tent and sleeping bag, you start packing that saddlebag with food.” She then zoomed out of the room towards 8C’s storage closet.

Autumn stood up from the bed, but didn't move towards the door as Indigo had. She stood in place wondering what lay ahead for her on the open road. She looked around her room at the posters and banners that had accumulated over the years. Wondering to herself where she might travel to first.

A tear appeared on Autumn’s cheek, followed by another, and then another until eventually she found herself weeping like a small child. She felt scared and uncertain of her future. She wanted to curl up in a little ball and sink through the floor, but she couldn’t. Autumn had to be strong. She had to stand up for herself and not let bad feelings get in her way. She wiped her face and took a deep breath.

“Well I guess you’re about to get the adventure you wished for,” she said to herself. Then Autumn Breeze picked up her bag and walked out of her room for the last time.

* * *

By the time everything she needed had been gathered together, the sky was beginning to darken outside. This made Autumn very anxious to get away from the apartment. They hurried down the stairs, up the street, and across the bridge towards the edge of the city where the rolling foothills of the Hollow Shades Forest began.

Autumn attempted to keep a low profile, avoiding the gazes of the other ponies she passed on the street. Indigo chattered away about various survival tactics and kinds of plants that were safe to eat and other things she remembered from her fillyscout days. Autumn was too nervous to listen very closely.

When they finally reached the end of the long road, the buildings had become low and were spaced farther apart and the street was mostly deserted. Ahead of them was a dead end, and beyond that was only forest. The pair stopped and looked into the darkness of the wooded lands. In both of their entire lives, neither pony had travelled more than a few miles outside of Manehattan. This was uncharted territory for them. From this point on everything would have to be improvised.

“Well, I’m afraid this is where I have to leave you,” said Indigo, “Do you have any idea of where you’re going?”

“Yeah,” replied Autumn, “The Crystal Empire. It’s far away and mysterious and I’ve always wanted to meet real crystal ponies.” She though for a moment. “So, I guess I’m going north.”

Silence.

“You’ll be fine,” assured Indy, “You’re a tough cookie, I know that better than anypony. Just use your wicked sharp intuition and don’t talk to strangers. I’m the only one who knows where you are, so you’ll be safe.”

“I hope you’re right,” said Autumn. She was still staring into the darkness in front of her.

“OK, so I’m gonna go find a guard or somepony to talk to. You go on and find a place to set up camp for the night.” Indigo turned and began to walk back down the road, but Autumn called back to her before she could get too far.

“Hey, Indy!” she said, and Indigo turned back around to face her best friend. “Thank you, for everything.”

Indy smiled. “What are friends for?” she said, and with a wink and a grin disappeared around the next corner.

Autumn took a few minutes to mentally prepare herself. A chill ran down her spine as she closed her eyes for just a moment. “This is it,” she insisted, “No point in turning back now.”

When she had worked up the necessary courage, she trotted confidently forwards into the trees. The forest opened up like a deep dark hole, eager to swallow Autumn into its leafy oblivion. She had never been one to believe in ghost stories, but if they could be true anywhere then surely it was here. Luckily, backing down wasn't Autumn's style, so onward she pressed.

As the darkness began to engulf her, she looked back to get one last glimpse of her hometown before it went out of sight–

Autumn stopped short. She was frozen in place by what she saw. Standing in the dimly lit street behind her was the mysterious pony in the purple robes. The pony was close enough this time that Autumn could easily make out the symbol embroidered on the hood. It was a golden apple inside a triangle – the same symbol that had been used to seal the envelope on her nightstand.

She should have been afraid, but Autumn sensed something different about the stranger this time. As menacing as his or her presence was, it didn’t seem like the hooded pony had any intention of hurting her. There was an peculiar air of innocence about the encounter.

Autumn looked back at the figure for a long time; at least what seemed to her like a long time. Finally, she regained control of her legs and made the most reasonable decision she could think of. She ran.

She ran away from Manehattan, away from everything and everyone she had ever known, away from her home and her school, and away from the strange pony in purple robes. She turned away and ran into the dark unknown, leaving her future entirely in the unpredictable grasp of fate.

* * *

Long after Autumn had disappeared beyond the cover of trees, Sister Ambrosia remained standing in the street far behind her. The evening air was unseasonably cold, and the icy wind whipped at her flowing robes. She knew she could not leave to seek shelter, though. She would stay firmly in place for as long as it took the others to arrive.

The faint sound of hooves plodding upon grass nearby prompted her to tilt her head in interest.

"Is that you, Brother Ramsdell?" she asked the darkness.

"How could you tell?" inquired the second pony wearing purple robes as he stepped out from behind a tree.

Brother Ramsdell was an enormous example of a stallion, nearly twice the size of his female companion. His robe stretched tightly to fit over his hulking figure, which made him look a bit like a massive purple balloon. He lumbered over and stood beside Sister Ambrosia, staring into the woodlands just as she did.

"I'm afraid your size betrays you, Brother," explained Ambrosia, "but fear not. Stealth is not the only skill we seek to employ in our mission."

"I assume the young one has fled into the wilderness in hope of escaping us." Ramsdell pulled his hood back to reveal his muscular features and crew-cut yellow mane. "Which means we will have to put our plans on hold while we track her across Equestria."

"Don't be so certain that this wasn't part of the original plan," suggested Ambrosia, "We were expecting some resistance, and having her isolated in the forest might make it easier to to lure the girl where we want her to go."

"Be that as it may, I still feel it would have been easier to take her when we had the chance."

The pair stood in silence for a long while. It would have been an odd sight, to see two ponies of vastly different sizes wearing long purple robes and standing on the edge of town in the middle of the night. Not many ponies were out that late though, and the few passersby who did catch a glance were much more concerned with getting out of the frigid air.

Ramsdell was the first to speak again. "So what is next for us?"

"As in the two of us? or society as a whole?"

"You know what I mean. How are we going to–"

"Fools!" cried a raspy voice from behind them. A third pony wearing purple robes appeared and walked right around the front of the first two. "You know we are forbidden to discuss plans outside the sanctuary. And Brother Ramsdell, put your hood back on before someone sees you!"

"Yes, Elder Fallawater," Ramsdell complied, pulling the hood back over is head.

"Listen closely you two," instructed the hardened old Elder Fallawater as he paced in front of them, "The first thing that needs to happen is that we need to find out exactly where the target is going. Each of you need to form a search party and–"

"That won't be necessary, Elder," Ambrosia interrupted, "The girl is attempting to make her way to the Crystal Empire. She headed north from here not three hours ago, and will soon need to set up camp for the night. Finding her should be no trouble."

"Well then Sister," said Fallawater contemptuously, "if you are so sure of that, then why don't I put you in charge of her recovery?" A particularly strong gust of wind blew his hood up, briefly revealing the heavily scarred face beneath. "The Grandmaster is expecting our operation to initiate within the week. Don't disappoint us."

Fallawater turned and briskly walked back from whence he came. "Come Brother, we have preparations to make," he said.

Ramsdell put a hoof on Ambrosia's shoulder as if to say "good luck" and then followed Fallawater into the shadows, leaving her completely alone once again. She took a few more minutes to gaze into the darkness where Autumn had disappeared; a gaze she had not broken in almost three hours.

Finally, when she was sure that she was not being watched, she put her head down and followed destiny's path into the trees.