• Published 8th Oct 2013
  • 473 Views, 7 Comments

War Between Gods - Verathuum



3rd and final installment of the Florian/Equestrian series. Florians help protect Equestria and eventually Equus.

  • ...
3
 7
 473

Chapter 12

“Everything going on with Discordia has been sorted out,” Jolterix lied with a fake smile, “Tennerac and I will be leaving as well as those Florian ships.”

“Everything’s sorted out?” Luna asked with a hand on her doorknob, “That doesn’t make any sense…you didn’t even do anything. What about all those weapons Dezler said we would need? That we WOULD need?”

“Dezler just said that everything’s been sorted out now and that Tennerac and I are to return back to Auflorsung. It’s not like I want to go,” Jolterix told her, “Anyway the weapons are right here in this bag, most of them are swords and things you’re already used to. A few are guns like Discordia’s.”

Luna shook her head at that, “Alright…just go.”

“Remember to keep your disc activated,” Jolterix reminded her as he began walking off.

“Why do you keep going on about that thing? I looked through it, there’s nothing special,” Luna told him.

“Just trust me,” he said behind his shoulder as he walked down the hallway.

“Alright,” Luna said, “You Florians need to learn to just tell us what’s going on.” There was no answer, but she didn’t speak very loudly, so it’s not like she should have expected one anyway. She walked back into her room and sat on her bed, not knowing what to do. If Discordia was truly straightened out, then that meant no more battle planning; if the Florians were leaving, that meant no one to answer to; and if it was daytime, that meant she could sleep. The only problem was, she was in no mood to sleep, and now the only thing that was in her head was try to figure out what was up with that disc.

Luna took her disc from out of the drawer and looked through it for a little while in case she had missed something. Eventually, she placed the disc back in her side table where it had been before she looked through it, and walked out of the room towards Celestia’s room. The walk took her by Jolterix’s room, which she noticed was now empty. She decided one last look at things couldn’t hurt and she walked into the room. The drapes were still closed as Jolterix liked them to be unless it was nighttime. As she approached the windows, her foot kicked something small and metallic.

Luna looked down at the object just in time to see its blurred figure roll under the bed. She kneeled down and reached under the bed to retrieve it. After a few seconds of tapping along the floor, her hand finally ran over it, and she grabbed it and pulled it out from under the bed. In her hand was one of Jolterix’s batons, though she couldn’t tell which one it was: vehicle or weapon.

“Weird,” she thought, “I didn’t think he’d be so forgetful.” She examined the baton, but there was no way for her to tell what was inside. The only sure way to find out was to go outside into an open space and try it out.

Luna immediately changed her plans from going to see Celestia to seeing what this baton was all about. She almost ran the entire way from Jolterix’s room to the gardens in the rear of the castle. Once she was there, she made sure the area was clear of any obstructions like statues, trees, and other things, as well as people. As soon as she was finished surveying the gardens, the pulled the baton apart and ribbons of light began to appear around her. Within seconds, a light sail had been formed and was lying on the ground. Apparently it had no hovering capabilities, to Luna’s surprise.

“Capable of building anything they want with their technology, but they don’t make a flying vehicle that can hover?” Luna laughed to herself. She closed the baton knowing there was no way she could get the light sail to take off if it was lying on the ground like it was. Suddenly, an idea struck her: perhaps Jolterix purposely left this here and that was the reason why he was so concerned with her disc. She knew the disc wasn’t needed to fly a light sail, but it made the deed much easier. The very thought of Jolterix sparked a new thought: Luna wasn’t satisfied with his answer and she knew there was more to it.

Bound and determined, Luna teleported herself back to her room to retrieve the disc; the advanced magic costing her most of her energy. She grabbed her disc and placed it on her back, making sure it was activated. Her combat skin and helmet materialized and a display appeared inside the helmet. It had an image of a light sail and all the text was still in Equestrian. Why the Florians would put those languages into these discs, she would never know; but she didn’t care why, just that it was there. The texts read “Light Sail” and other relevant things, namely that it needed to be launched from a moving position, such as running or riding another vehicle.

Luna looked at the balcony just outside of her room. “That’ll work,” she thought even though she was well aware of how dangerous it would be. Just as she was opening the door to the balcony, she realized how hasty she was being. She should at least tell someone what she was doing, and water it down a little ways.

She turned around and walked back into the castle. She made her way to the dining room where she knew Celestia would be at some point within the hour, and wrote a note explaining what she was planning on doing. Luna knew directly confronting her sister would yield a definitive “no” because it was the moral thing to do, but there was no way Celestia could protest if it was too late.

After writing the note, Luna returned to her room and ultimately her balcony. She respawned the combat skin and helmet over herself and held the baton in front of her. It was a long way down, about two hundred feet, and Luna had no idea how much time that actually was. She took one last look at the sky and the Florian fleet, which was curiously moving towards Discordia. With much hesitation, she jumped off the balcony.