• Published 8th Oct 2013
  • 2,267 Views, 25 Comments

Awakened - King Sombra11



Sombra returns and this time he shall not fall.

  • ...
3
 25
 2,267

Awakening

Luna paused. She was sat in the vast chamber that was her bedroom. Despite being the princess of the night and therefore having a higher tolerance of the cold than most ponies she could not help but shiver at the sensation washing over her. "Luuuuuunaaaa" crooned a voice in her head, the deep thunderous tone echoing ever so slightly. She froze. "I'm baaaaaack" crooned the voice once more. Luna started to shake, the voice was that of a fearsome individual she had not seen much less heard from in over a millennia. "Have you misssssed me Luuuuuuna?" the voice questioned. That was it. Terror took hold and began to grow forming a cold shroud over her body.

"n-n-noooo" she moaned "get out of our HEAD" she screamed the last word and continued to scream in fear. All the while the voice in her head had begun to laugh with glee, the sound bouncing around inside her skull. Slowly Luna began to calm down. The voice had retreated and left her relatively in peace.

"Luna?" inquired a voice gently, it was her sister Princess Celestia. "Luna? what is the matter?..." the rest of the sentence was cut off as Celestia took in her the sight of her younger sister shivering terrified form.

"He is back" she sobbed "he is back".




Celestia sat in the main hall on her throne looking troubled. She could simply not get the image of her sisters tears streaming down her muzzle, leaving behind salty, wet trails. Worse still was the return of the individual who caused this. Celestia had almost never seen her sister in such a state of terror not since the... Celestia winced. That particular memory was painful indeed. "Many a good pony died that day, if he should return..." she trailed off. The crystal wars had nearly vanquished the power of harmony permanently. "Perhaps I should call the twilight and her friends, the elements of harmony worked on him once after all" Celestia murmured, seemingly to nopony. Just then a chill came over her. Black crystals burst forth violently from the palace walls! A great looming shadow rose up on the wall.

"I AM AWAKEEEEE!" roared the shadow. Celestia stood up shakily, even she could not withhold the frightful memories and fear of this dark creature,

"state your name, confirm my suspicions!" she commanded.

"I AM SOMBRA" the shadow roared once more. "BRINGER OF SHADOWS, DESTROYER OF LOVE, HARVESTER OF HARMONY! I HAVE RETURNED AND YOU SHALL pay!!!!" the last word was said in a whisper, a whisper containing a millennia's worth of hatred and insanity. The last thing Celestia heard was a dark laughter and a whisper "I may have a soft spot for Luna, But you Celestia shall receive no mercy."




The two celestial sisters sat conferring. "he cannot have physically manifested yet, it is too soon we must prepare defences and an offensive plan" Celestia was saying. Luna just dumbly nodded her head in agreement. "Luna" Celestia stated sharply. "Gather your wits! Innocent ponies will die if you do not pull it together". shaking her head, Luna replied with more vigour than before.

"forgive me sister" she murmured, "it is just..." she trailed off and looked away. Her mane shone black as the night sky with the twinkling stars, shimmering and shining giving an almost transfixing effect to herself. "It has been so long since our encounter with him, yet the wounds seem so fresh, the scars of torn open". Celestia trotted over and laid a comforting hoof on Luna's shoulder.

"Do not worry sister, perhaps just perhaps we may restore him to his former self" Celestia regretted the words as soon as they left her mouth. She had just given Luna what she was sure was false hope. Shard was Sombras former self and she doubted that sombra could turn himself back into the pony that had once loved Luna. Luna looked up at her sister.

"we could?!?" she exclaimed the hope filling up inside her.

"She was already thinking of the things she could try to do to reform the twisted monster" Celestia thought. "Perhaps sister, if fate permits it". as Luna laid her head against Celestia's side, she sighed, a sigh of weariness filled with purpose.

But as she looked on Luna thought sadly "if fate permits it."



Deep in the tundra of the frozen north a strange occurrence was taking place. The ground began to shake and tremble, Cracks appeared in ice that were seemingly being displaced. The first building to rise was a solid black spire. Black as obsidian, reflecting the light cast from the torches positioned on its side. Quickly the other constructions followed, more spires, gleaming black with jagged spikes on the crests. A gigantic palace rose and loomed over the now appearing crystal Empire. Then it started the terrible, ear piercing shrieks of the crystal ponies as they returned to their former fate. Though the sun shone big and bright, it was a cold dark day for equestrian. Even in Canterlot, the inhabitants heard the triumphant voice of the tyrannical overlord roar "THE SHADOWS HAVE RETURNED, HEAR MY NAME AND TREMBLE FOR I AM SOMBRAAAA!!!!". The world itself trembled as if it had heard his cry and had responded. The screams of the crystal ponies filled the air, along with the evil laughter that was tinged with just a hint of insanity.



Back in Canterlot both Princess's twitched as a pure wave of utter insidious malice crept over them. Silently and solemnly they both trotted outside onto the balcony. Staring into the distance Luna asked

"does this mean it has started dear sister?"

"yes" Celestia whispered in a quivery voice. She could already see a looming shadow in the far distance, could hear the screams of the crystal ponies and the insane laughter of King Sombra. Celestia suddenly turned to face her sister "gather the royal guard and the commanders while I send for twilight and her friends".

"Does this mean what we think it means sister ours?" Luna asked.

"Yes sister it does. At tomorrows first light we go to war" Celestia replied. Turning back around while Luna trotted off she could almost hear King Sombra's voice gently whispering

"At tomorrows first light you die."

Shaking off the sombre thought she turned around and trotted off to make prepartions for tomorrows battle.