• Published 30th Sep 2013
  • 622 Views, 18 Comments

Dream Whisper - Dream Whisper



A special talent can lead to incredible possibilites. What would you do, if you were able to enter the dreams of somepony else?

  • ...
0
 18
 622

Chapter 12: Finding life

I climbed up inside, looking around: This floor was almost empty, but there were a couple of stairs leading upwards. I followed them, knowing, that if there was nothing in this tower, I would have no clue of what to do next. I climbed up the last step and got into a long corridor. Left and right were rows of beautifully ornamented doors, but the catastrophy had also shown its face here: Most of the ornaments were already broken. I entered the first door to my right; The room was not as completely wasted as the rest of the city, even though it probably has seen better days: Parts of the ceiling had fallen down onto the ground, the walls were bended inwards slightly and the furniture was mostly crushed into pieces, but the bed was surprisingly good in shape. Maybe somepony was still using it for their sleep.

“Hello?”
I screamed, hoping for an answer and I was not disappointed:
“Hello! Who is there?”
It was the voice of Princess Luna. It came from down the corridor. I gallopped outside and towards the giant door at the end of the corridor. When I pushed the door open in fury, I realized, which room this was: It was the throne room. I was overwhelmed by the beauty of this place. Even though most windows were crushed, this place was obviously the throne room. I remembered it from magazines and newspapers. It was glorious, even though the dark weather diminished the effect.

There was not only Princess Luna there, but also Princess Celestia, Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends. They were all wounded, not dangerously, but I could almost see the fights they had fought. Their eyes filled with pain and exhaustion, but there was also something else, something I would have never expected: Hope. I had expected, distrust, denial, hate, refusion and rejection, but it was hope. I had brought Luna back, but I was the one, who had made her death possible in the first place. Who I was I to have hopes depending on me? I looked in their eyes, knowing I would disappoint them.

“What happened?”
I asked, just to break the silence. There was no answer. They looked at me thoroughly, almost if they were staring into my soul.
Twilight Sparkle had pity with me and finally answered:
“We have lost Canterlot to an eruption, we have lost Frozenfalls to massive fire, we have lost some of Ponyville to earthquakes, we have lost Cloudsdale to massive storms, we have lost Trottingham, Fillydelphia and many more. Our enemies were stronger than we could have ever imagined. They defeated us in a heartbeat of weakness and took the Elements of Harmony away from us. In your absence, we have lost... too many... ponies in Equestria due to these new enemies; No magic was big enough to stop them. You are probably asking yourself, who could be so strong to defeat all of us.”
Yes, indeed; I was already more than curious. I mean, I have never seen anything like that before. The whole city just brunt to the ground, and as it seemed, it had not even been the only one.

“We are facing two big enemies right now, not knowing, who is the worse:
The first pony is an old enemy, we had thought to have rehabilitated. It is Discord, the ancient spirit of disharmony and well, the name says it already: discord. He had been a good guy for a while, helping to maintain the only friendship he ever had with Fluttershy here. After that, I started to trust him, because I thought, Fluttershy could not be wrong with creatures. Then followed Pinkie Pie, because she hates not being friends; Rainbow Dash, out of loyality for me; Apple Jack and finally Rarity.”
She looked at each pony, while she was talking, so I at least knew, who she was referring to. Although I already had met most of them, it was still a nice gesture. To be honest, at that point I did not recall all their names.
“He likes to make fun of ponies and spread his chaos all around. Furthermore, he likes to talk in these damned riddles just to confuse us. Discord is a draconequus, which is a combination of some animals. Do not trust him, no matter what you do.”
That tip was a bit too late now. His plan, involving me for some reason, had already been completed. How should I have known not to trust him even before I had even met him?

“The other one is Dream Cry.”
I was baffled for a moment. Did I really hear Dream Cry? She already started speaking again:
“I know this is confusing, but apparently he has managed to exit a ... banishment of Princess Celestia. Although she had thought he must have been destroyed by his own magic, it seemed that he had only been banished into somewhere. Bringing Luna back has also brought Dream Cry back. You probably would not have been strong enough to get Luna back yourself. The truth is: Nopony expected it to work. We wanted you to try it, not knowing there could be such extreme consequences.”
When I had to bring the living Rainbow Dash back, that had already been hard enough. I had realized after that, that there had not been a chance to bring Luna back, but through bringing Dream Cry back. That was the whole reason, why Discord had made the offer.
“Dream Cry has been the reason for all this trouble. Somehow he has managed, to get Discord go wild with him again. Dream Cry had forced our attention with his certain talents, bringing destruction to Canterlot. Meanwhile, Discord had sneaked up and in the moment of our weakness, he had taken the Elements of Harmony. Dream Cry is incredibly dangerous, as he harnesses the power of the dreams.
That is why we need you to help us. You are the only other pony in all of Equestria, who ever had your talent other than Dream Cry.
The problem is just: We have no idea, how we can defeat them, even if you help us. However, now we have a better chance than before.”

Wait, wait, wait. What should I do about Dream Cry? I mean, I don't even know anything about him, except for him being my ancestor in some way.
“If, however, we somehow acquire the Elements of Harmony, we can strike. We know, that Discord and Dream Cry are in Frozenfalls. There is a high chance, that they wouldn't leave the Elements of Harmony unguarded. So our best guess is, that they are in Frozenfalls.”
Well, they probably were, but first we had to get to Frozenfalls without a working train station; Then we also had to get into Frozenfalls unseen; And then we also had to snatch the Elements of Harmony.

“We are going to head off tomorrow. There is a small camp in Ponyville, where we can stock up our supplies. The train station in Ponyville and in Frozenfalls are both destroyed, but there is still a steam train along the track. If we can get it running again, then we may not have to walk all the way.”
That sounded like a plan, but I was still not fully convinced. Ponyville was about a day of galloping away, so it should be around 2 days for us, considering their new and my old wounds.
“We will head off a little bit later today, but first we want to leave a note to anypony, who is searching here for us.”
Princess Celestia already had started to write the note before Princess Twilight had finished her sentence. I trotted a bit forwards to be able to look at what she was writing; Yes, my curiousity is a little bit annyoing. She wrote following using the quill, a bit of ink and her magic:

“My dear, fellow ponies. I know, the times are hard for all of us, but we have to stay strong. I know, that in these hard times you need a strong leader, but I have to pass this task to somepony else:
As long as Princess Twilight Sparkle and I are going to be fighting Dream Cry and Discord, Princess Cadence will be leading you. You can meet her in the makeshift capital in Ponyville.
I am truly sorry for every loss of yours. Nothing can restore the loss brought to us by Dream Cry and Discord, but we will have to stop him, before all is lost.

Yours sincerely, Princess Celestia.”

Finally we started to trot away from this graveyard. Through rain, thunder and lightning, but at least away from this terrible place. For the first couple of hours, I made a shield to save us from the rain, but as we trotted further and further, I realized, that it was consuming too much of my energy. The problem was not really getting wet, but getting cold. We were all wounded and getting a cold would not help us.
We progressed along the road; Down the mountain, which Canterlot was built upon, and then further south. Due to our high position, you could already make out Ponyville from a distance. Meanwhile, I thought about how I could help them. Really, my only talent was entering dreams.

In the last days, I had the tendency to somehow enter the dream of the ponies, who represented the Elements of Harmony, but I could not be sure, that it was anything but coincidental... or maybe planned? I thought about my problem and actually had an idea: The next time, I would start to sleep, I should create a shield around me. Maybe I could put myself into a dream of my desire. It had worked, when coming out of the dream, so why not when entering the dream. Then again, you can't really sleep while making a shield. Yet, I still use magic in my dream anyway... It shouldn't be that much of a difference.
I got pulled out of my thoughts by a big dirty puddle, I just accidentally walked into. In the distance, I could still hear the thunder, but it was definitely becoming less frequent. We were inside a thick forest right now, and something had changed; I needed a couple of heartbeats until I realized, that everypony was trotting faster now, almost galloping.

“Why so fast?”
I screamed from behind, but my voice drowned in a particularly loud clap of thunder. I didn't hear any answers, either. Before I had to scream again, I suddenly realized, why they were galloping now: The tree rows receded and we stood on open fields; This was obviously Ponyville.
I had not even realized, that the time had gone by so fast. I looked at the sun: Celestia already had lowered it to the horizon, but it was not dusk yet. Either we have been really fast, or the distance has been lower than it had seemed from up on the mountain. In front of us, there was this small city most houses broken down. As we galloped towards it, I noticed, that in the middle of Ponyville, there was a giant cliff, almost three hooves wide. I also recognized the tree, I had seen in Twilight Sparkle's dream among the houses.

We just passed a collapsed barn, when I could finally make out the 'makeshift capital', that Celestia had written about: It was a small assembly of restored buildings and some huts, which were obviously just build as temporary shelters. We arrived in Ponyville, when the sun just went under the horizon. Princess Celestia ordered us to stock up on supplies, meet our relatives and then get to sleep. We would meet tomorrow morning.
Since I had neither relatives here, nor the task to assemble food, – which went to Applejack and Pinkie Pie by the way – I pretty much had nothing to do for the rest of the day. I decided, I would just try to test the thing with sleeping while casting a shield.

That would have been easy, if I would have just found a nice place to sleep. Every hut was crowded with ponies. In the end, I decided to take some cloth from the ground and hang it up above me so it repelled the rain. It wasn't really most comfortable lying on the wet, cold ground, but it was still better than lying on the wet, cold ground with rain falling onto you from above. I created a shield around me and tried to relax further and further. I listened to the clopping of the hooves of the ponies running around, the soft voices speaking somewhere in the distance and the calming sound of rain dripping on cloth. The sound of rain is not repetitive, but not too various either; It has different rhythms, but stays at the same volume and pitch. I created the shield and just continued to listen. After a while, I started sleeping, without even noticing it.

Subsequently, the strangest thing happened: I was neither dropped into a dream of my choice, nor did I just wake up at the next morning. Actually, I did somehow wake up, but not really. It's hard to explain. When the sounds had disappeared, I had opened my eyes again. I saw Ponyville, but it was all black and translucent, except for some lights. When I approached one of these lights, I could see, that they were actually like a window into a dream. The dreamer was running around somewhere. I looked around: There were thousands of lights, almost like the stars in the night sky, only disturbed by the translucent walls. I walked to another dream and watched, what the dreamer was dreaming.

A little bit creepy, when I think about it now, but at that time it was just fascinating. I could see all the different dreams; An amazing feeling. I was all alone in this mostly dark world, but then again, around me were hundrets of dreamers running around or speaking. If I listened closely, I could even hear whispering. I trotted around, from dream to dream, looking at what the dreamers were experiencing. I admit that I sometimes trotted against these translucent walls, – They were almost transparent - but it didn't hurt as you would expect from a wall. It was more like running against a wall made of moss. Suddenly, I was pulled into one of the dreams and dropped through the 'window' into the dream.

It was too late, when I realized, that I had unconsciously stopped casting the shield. I looked around again: Still in the same situation I had seen from outside. The dreamer - a light aquamarine unicorn with a harp as a cutie mark – was sitting on a bench. Instead of sitting like any normal pony though, she actually sat on her back. I don't know, I can't even describe it. Ponies are not meant for sitting on their back. When I think about it now, her cutie mark was actually less of a harp and more of a... lyre is how you call it, I think. Next to her was a yellow-ish pony with a pink and blue mane. The cutie mark on her flank was some candy. They were talking about how the aquamarine pony was sitting.
“Hey liar, why is it you have to sit like that every time we come to the park? Can't you sit like a normal pony one single time?”
At this time I was a bit confused about the 'liar'. I did not even listen to the whole conversation, only until I understood, that her name had actually been Lyra, not 'liar'. After all, it was just another normal dream, so there is not really much to talk about. Lyra had a long conversation with her friend and then just headed home. Sometimes I don't get, what the point of that dream was. Maybe dreams do not really need a goal, maybe they don't need logic.

When I got up again, I was unnaturally tired. Sleeping on wet and cold stone had not really been a good idea. Today, we would try to head for the train, which was obviously somewhere close to Ponyville on the rails. The rain was finally gone and I was able to look around in Ponyville. It was impressive, how parts of Ponyville were severely destroyed and still everypony was friendly and happy. I thought, that after a disaster which destroys so many lives, ponies would lose their hope.
Instead, they all comforted each other; They all helped lost ponies find their families;They all helped building up the destroyed buildings; They all helped each other getting food; And they helped each other stay happy even in such horrific times. It was really memorable. At the lowest point, you could see the highest level of care for each other. That's what makes this pony society possible. Helping each other no matter what situation they are in.

However, it also made me wonder: Why is the idea of helping only bound to catastrophes? I mean, we could help each other much more in our daily lives, but often we forget each other under the circumstances of our every-day life. Why is there need for a catastrophe to bring out the good sides in everpony of us? I am not saying, we were generally disliking each other or something like that, but true friendship only shines in dark moments.
It is quite the twisted idea: Friendship cannot shine without dark times, help cannot be given without the need for it, and satisfaction cannot come without discontent. The 'bad' side seems to be a strange necessity for a 'good' side.

I met up again with Princesses Celestia, Twilight Sparkle and her five friends. They were so inseperable, I was already wondering, how she could have been alone in her dream. It was strange to see her friends always at her side, but what did I expect from the Elements of Harmony? A strange question arose in my mind: Could the Elements of Harmony exist without Discord? On the one hand, they were artifacts, so how could they just disappear, when Discord would be gone? On the other hand, it would be improbable that Discord would ever be gone. He was an embodiment of an abstract idea. Furthermore, what could destroy them? The Elements of Harmony seemed to only be able to turn him into a statue. Maybe they really cannot exist without him.

My thoughts got disrupted, as we had already found the missing train. It was a wreck - In lack of worse words. I did not even have an idea, how we should bring it up back on the rails; It had been thrown off into the trees on the side of the track. The whole area was burned down and in the midst of the burnt trees, there was the train; Half of it black and in an not identifiable state, half of it covered with dents and fissures.
It almost seemed as if the train had started to burn in Frozenfalls and had driven all the way down to these faulty rails. The train was so torn apart, I didn't believe we could get it running again, especially because we wounded and we were in a haste. Nonetheless, everypony seemed quite certain.

Firstly, we cut the whole back of the train off the front bit. Afterwards, we cleaned it up with a bit of water. Then, Princess Twilight did some mechanical things, I did not even know existed. For them, probably just some things, they had learnt in magic kindergarten; For me, high-technological, advanced stuff. However, the result was not really convincing. It did not appear to have changed much, except for the two of them being a bit more tired now.
After a short pause, we lifted the thing, that once had been a train, onto the tracks.
“Everypony, come aboard!” yelled Twilight Sparkle, as she had just jumped into the locomotive.
My distrust into this piece of rubble did not change, until, with horrible cracking noises and squeaking, it finally started to slowly roll forwards. I was actually quite surprised, it didn't instantly fall apart. For now, it actually moved and I was really thankful for it. I went to the locomotive and started to throw the coal into the locomotive oven to power the engine. The others decided to have a pause in what was left of the passenger compartment: The front half of it was still intact, the back half of it was completely missing, though. I would not have liked to be back there, because flying horseapples, you had the risk of falling out every heartbeat. Even when they asked me, whether I wanted a pause or not, I did not leave that secure place.

The train served better, than I had expected it to. It actually did not fall apart, until we were up in the north already. When it fell apart though, it was from one heartbeat to the next. I just threw a couple of additional pieces of coal into the engine, when the locomotive started to rumble and squeak. Without any further warning, the oven in front of me just exploded, throwing the heavy oven door and other pieces of metal towards me. Having seen the signs, I reacted fast enough and created a shield. The metal however, broke through the shield and threw me back into what was left of the passenger compartment. The whole train started to uncontrollably swing to the left side, eventually disjointing from the rail and crushing into the snowy trees on the side. I was thrown out into the air, everything turning around me. Luckily, I landed in the thick snow; It stopped my fall completely without breaking every bone of mine.

There were a couple of flames all around me, but no fire was big enough to become a threat in this snowy landscape. Immediately, I started to search for the others. They had been in the passenger compartment, which was now hanging down from a tree a couple of hundrets of hooves further down the rails. I found Princess Twilight and Pinkie Pie first, followed by Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash had somehow even managed to get out of the passenger compartment while it was flying through the air. She must have had quick reflexes and incredible agility. Together, we found Fluttershy burrowed deeply in the snow. We were only able to find Rarity because of her purple mane – Her coat was nearly invisible in the white background. Only Princess Celestia seemed to be impossible to find. When we found her, it was terrifying:

All of us had only gotten a few scratches, but Princess Celestia had been hit a lot harder: A long, sharp piece of metal stuck deep down into her body, starting in her front left leg and showing through her back.
Twilight Sparkle started to pull it out with her magic. The wound was deep, but Celestia started to heal it already. Not many ponies actually knew, how to heal. I guess, Celestia had had eons to learn every secret of magic that was known to ponyhood.
“You have to get to a hospital.”
It was Rainbow Dash, obviously worried about the wounds. Celestia just brushed that objection off.
“I will be fine.”

Without many words, we headed off. I was still only slowly recovering from the explosion. Everything had been to fast for me to really grasp it. I mean, there had just been a bucking explosion for pony's sake. I trotted a little bit behind the other ponies, needing time to understand what actually just had happened. My head was still swirling around and my legs were not really stable, more like rubber. I came to the conclusion, that we had been really lucky. All of us, even Princess Celestia. We should not have ridden a destroyed abomination of a train, but in some way we had to. We would have lost days and lives in every other way.

From here, I could actually spot Frozenfalls just on the horizon. At least, what should have been Frozenfalls. The city, which had been there once, was dominated by complete and utter chaos. There were many things you could only see close up, but for the sake of not having to interrupt myself later, I am going to put all crazy things into following list:

1. Flying buildings 2. Chocolate rain 3. Checkerboarded grass 4. Water in rivers replaced by flowing fire 5. Birds digging deep holes 6. Trees turned upside down 7. Spiders flying through the air 8. Diamonds randomly erupting from the earth 9. Those diamonds then randomly explode into ants. 10. Leafes of trees running around on long spiderlegs. 11. Flowers constantly dying just for a new seed to grow inside the dead body again. 12. Clouds bouncing around on the ground.

To be honest, there were probably even more things, but I could not see everything. In midst of that chaos was a giant throne. Somepony had a big ego...

We actually got into Frozenfalls before the sun went under the horizon. The whole city was empty and that instantly reminded me of Canterlot. What once had been a city filled with thousands of ponies, all minding their own business and galloping or trotting around in their own pace, was now another graveyard. The city was completely burnt down, every house was only a mere hill of black and grey ashes with some burnt logs sticking up into the air. Even Pinkie Pie, usually speaking nonstop and being a bit annoying at times, was silent now.

You could only hear the sound of our hooves, when we slowly trotted over the street. Sometimes, you could also hear Discord laughing in the distance. We had to stop, when we encountered a big hole in the ground, where once the road had been. Unfortunately not everypony had the quick reflexes. Rarity actually fell down, into a muddy, dirty water puddle, right next to water pipes – At this point I have got to add: Luckily, those were not sewage pipes, because the ranting of Rarity, which came afterwards, would have destroyed our ears.

Her fall had been a misfortunate event, but at the same time, it had been a lucky hit. The water pipes were an excellent hiding spot for us: Walking over the streets would have been madness, but when walking through the pipes, we would practically be invisible. Although Rarity expressed her... discomfort... with this idea, we still agreed to do it, despite of her continuous lamenting. The problem with trotting through pipes is your orientation. The system of pipes under Frozenfalls was actually way more complicated, than we had expected. Every couple of hooves you walked were at least twenty entrances and exits of other pipe systems. Of course, that description is a bit hyperbolic, but I think it displays our discomfort. There were actually a couple of times we stood at the end of a pipe, where only smaller pipes lead forward. The light, that Twilight had created for us not to run against walls was not helping too much, because we could see, that there were a lot of other ways, but we still did not know, which one was the right one.

However, exactly this fact we complained about, was the luckiest thing that could have ever happened. Through our random straying, we found something quite unexpected:
We had just arrivedat the end of another pipe, without the possibility to get any further, when we turned around and randomly went into the crossing pipe at a T-junction. I must have stumbled on a glibbery rock or something, because I started to slide. I tried to hold myself up, but I eventually slid towards another, smaller pipe on a side. I slid downwards, faster and faster, until I finally just dropped into a room from the side. There he stood; I immediately knew it was him. He looked so... familiar. I had never seen him before, but somehow, I saw myself mirrored somewhere in those blue eyes. It was Dream Cry.

The sudden realization was followed by a reaction of pure shock. However, he seemed quite as unprepared as I was: “How... did you find me?”
I immediately backed off and created a shield. Startled as I was, I attacked, without thinking about it. He, who had killed thousands of ponies with immeasurable amounts of magic stood right in front of me, and I just attacked blindly like a foal. I used a pipe, somewhere in the wall on my right and threw it towards him. He was hit, flew to the side and laid there, bleeding. I ripped one of the pipes just above him apart, letting hot steam burn his flank. He screamed in pain, but he didn't defend himself. Something was wrong here. I had expected him to fight me, to try to kill me like all the other ponies, but he did not do anything.

“Dream Whisper, are you alright?”
Twilight Sparkle screamed from somewhere up above me. I wanted to answer, but Dream Cry interrupted me:
“They ask you, whether everything is alright, and still they don't come to help you. I know, you will not trust me, but I have got nothing to lose. Do you know, why I tried to get rid of Princess Celestia before my banishment? No? I thought so.”
I was alone down here, alone with him. I could not let him find a weak spot of mine.
“I will tell you the story and it will probably be the last story, I am ever going to tell. So please, do me the favour and pay close attention:

I was a young colt, when I first met Princess Celestia. She, Luna and my parents were friends. My parents were their advisors, coming with them wherever they would be needed. They fought together, purging whatever evil from the world. One day, Celestia turned against our family. My parents were asleep and I was sitting in the living room, playing with toys.” He looked like a grandpony remembering the good old times.
“The door blasted open and Celestia came in. She looked at me and in her eyes, I could see, that she would do something horrible. She ran towards the bedroom, followed by hundrets of guard ponies. I was scared and I hid under the table. The scream of my mother was the last thing I ever knew of her. They took me away, dropped me off at an orphanage home. There I swore my revenge.”
Why was he telling me this ridiculous story? In the background, I could hear somepony climbing through the pipes:
“I am coming down, careful.”
Hopefully, they would come as soon as possible. Although he had not attacked yet, he could decide to fight at any time.
Dream Cry got a bit calmer and quieter:
“I did not get my revenge for a very long time. I tried to get Celestia for her crimes, bring her to justice. She had killed my parents and when it got apparent, that I would develop the same talent as my parents, she did the unspeakable: While I was in a dream, she killed the dreamer. Not knowing how to save myself, I drifted into banishment. For more than 1000 years, I was isolated. That time is longer than you could imagine. Every single thought of yours, I already have thought at some time. Every single thing you imagine, I have already imagined. Every single thing, you have ever done in your whole life, I have done before. 1000 years of life is a punishment in itself.
When I got out, I was already dead. You cannot kill a dead man, so go ahead, try it. In the end, you will not be better than any of us. Maybe, someday you will see her real face.”

Princess Twilight Sparkle dropped out of the pipe first, followed by Princess Celestia. I could hear Fluttershy complaining about being stuck somewhere and everpony else complaining about Fluttershy not moving any further.
Celestia was furious.
“Dream Cry! For your actions you will be punished with death. Tell us, where are the Elements of Harmony?”
Dream Cry just laughed.
“And if I don't tell you, how are you going to punish me? You took my parents, you took my life already. There is nothing for you to take anymore.”
Celestia smiled, but it was the kind of smile you never wanted to see.
“There is no punishment big enough for what you have done. Your family tried to overthrow the monarchy and you tried to take vengeance for a lie. Your whole life, more than 1000 years, it is all a lie.”

Dream Cry's face lost all of his composure:
“You cannot win. You do not even know, what to fight.”
He stood up and started to turn the very ground below us into a molten sea of fluid iron. Celestia and Twilight just teleported away, leaving me the task to stay alive somehow. I made a shield and cooled the ground below me so it turned solid again. Cooling actually requires more magic than heating. If you want to get more information about that, you have to ask Twilight Sparkle, though.
After evading the imminent death, I hovered the solid piece of ground below me up and to the side. I dropped down in the corner of the room, totally exhausted. Meanwhile, Dream Cry had thrown a couple of iron spikes towards Celestia and Twilight, who defended themselves with a shield. They threw lightning at him and he just absorbed it with a makeshift lightning rod. I heard Fluttershy screaming something and was reminded, that, if they would somehow manage to get through the clogged pipe, they would fall into a sea of molten iron. I actually cooled the whole ground now. If I would have been a great magician, maybe I could have found an easier way, but I was not. Completely exhausted, I had to lay down.

The fight went on, but I was just lying there, catching my breath. What were we actually doing here? We were attacking an insane pony, who never got over the death of his parents. The worse part was, that I didn't even know anymore, if it was right to stand on the side of Celestia. She had not denied killing his parents, which made her not much better than him. They all have the blood of their enemies on their hands. Somehow, I landed right here in the middle of this all. I decided to stop helping Celestia or Dream Cry at this point. They were all murderers. So I sat there, watching the fight, doing nothing.

Celestia's face had turned into a horrible grimace. She was screaming:
“Just die. Be purged off this world, you filthy parasite. Just die!
With every blow of the combined power of Celestia and Twilight, Dream Cry had lost a bit more of his position. However, with every blow of their combined power, Celestia had gotten more and more furious, too. You could see in Twilight Sparkle's face, that she had noticed it as well. There was something more behind this anger, something untold by both of them. Celestia's face turned into a showcase of insanity. Twilight had already stopped her attacks, disgusted by what Celestia had turned into.

“What have you done to her, what have you done to my sister?”
All her anger and pain exploded into a final attack. Dream Cry died so abruptly, in one single heartbeat. Then there was nothing left, except a heap of flesh, a meaningless corpse. All of the incredible power had suddenly perished into the void. Another life had been destroyed and still, death had not found it's end.
When Fluttershy and the others finally came through the pipe, Celestia had already started to rip the corpse apart. Twilight Sparkle tried to stop her fury, but she was just kicked to the side. When Celestia had finally finished her work, she began to cry. Everything was silent now.
We retreated in silence. Nothing could have been said, nothing should have been said. Even the clopping of our hooves on the ground and the occasional sobbing of Celestia were too much to bear. We all had seen, what Celestia had done. I was not sure anymore, if I wanted to fight anything. Fighting just lead to insanity. I had to take my time to think about all this.

When we reached the end of the tunnel system, I did not follow the others. I headed north instead, I headed home. They did not even try to stop me; They were as shocked as I was. Who was this Princess Celestia really? She had seemed like a beacon of hope, but I would not be so sure about it anymore. Maybe there was no true greatness; Maybe there is no ideal leader; And maybe everypony has his or her dark secrets. I had loved to think, that somewhere out there was the Princess of the Light, capable of changing the world for the better;

Now I have lost that hope.