• Published 28th Sep 2013
  • 1,633 Views, 37 Comments

Time Soldier - Havelock



Gabriel, both an efficient soldier and a die hard brony in the year 2029. Countries lie in turmoil, living off war profits and mercenaries, but what of the magical land of Equestria? Does a peaceful life reside there? Or the same fate?

  • ...
7
 37
 1,633

Destiny's a Bitch

"What's the word?" asked a voice.

"Some terrorists holed up in a cave, go in and kill us some bad guys," said another voice.

Gabriel opened his eyes slowly, having been asleep for several hours now. He hung his head low, breathing slowly and evenly, an old habit before every mission.

"Hey, he's awake, you all right Gabe?"

He remained utterly silent.

"Gabe ain't talkin', just ain't him, when was the last time you heard Gabe speak real English, Michael?"

The one he was addressing looked up, "Never," he said with a shrug, "either Korean or nothing, mostly nothing," Michael looked at his cousin, "unless you count his pointless screaming," he finished with a smile.

Gabe couldn't help but smile too. He proved to be extremely aggressive, once cracking an enemy's armor with a powerful, rage fueled kick. With his reputation, he was the small team's avenger, always unleashing hell when they needed it most.

"Man it's almost inhuman, the way Gabe turns into superman as soon as some bastard pisses him off," said Tevin, a soldier who worked with Gabe and the group.

Tevin was a big African-American man. He was armored in a bulky carbon fiber suit, the new standard for military. His helm consisted of a mask with bottled oxygen and a hard, rounded military helm, meshed together to make a full head cover. At the moment, however, his mask hung below his chin, with the hard cap hanging back behind his head. All the others adopted this method of showing their face with their helm still nearby.

"Bro, it is inhuman," said Jack, another soldier in the group, "ever seen a soldier pull off that many head shots in a row?"

"Remind me, how many is that many?" said Michael.

"Y'know, bang-bang-bang-bang bang! Five dumb shits didn't know what hit 'em,"

Gabe remained in silence, biting his lip slightly. The two others glared at Jack. The white man shrugged, trying to defend himself from their silent scolding.

"Ah, shit, Gabe, you're not a bad person for doing what you had to," said Jack.

Gabe looked up skeptically.

"Besides, how can a hardcore brony like you be a bad person?" reasoned Jack.

Gabe smiled once again, pulling out his rifle. He pointed at its stock, showing a sun plastered onto it.

"Celestia's cutie mark," Michael laughed.

Gabe then pulled out his pistol revealing a moon on its side.

"There's Luna's cutie mark," said Michael.

Finally pulling out his tactical bow, he showed off six distinct symbols crawling across the bow.

"And now we have the mane six, an exemplary brony,"

Gabe then lifted himself from his seat, walking towards a tank strapped down to the metallic floor. He leaped onto it, pointing down to a drawing of the Cutie Mark Crusaders trying to be soldiers. The whole place jerked, and Gabe was thrown off the tank.

"Alright marines, get your asses forward, get some warm clothes and parachutes on, your dropping into an abandoned part of Russia to get to that cave. Get some bottled oxygen ready, you're gonna gas that place," said a man on the intercom.

"We're gonna what? We can just mow 'em down," said Jack.

"Not my decision, you guys gotta gas that place, drop in thirty seconds," said the man.

"Screw that, gas 'em only if you need to, I'll deal with command afterwards," said Tevin.

Gabe got to his feet, rubbing his head ruefully. He pulled his helm over his head, and lifted his mask to his mouth, sealing all foreign air out. he then pulled on a long, very thick, coat over his body armor, then a parachute over the coat.

"ten seconds to drop, get ready,"

The four friends gathered near the the back of the plane they were on, ready to dash for the jump. The seconds passed by, bringing tension to the crew, when suddenly the back dropped open.

"Time to go!" shouted Tevin, running to leap out the plane.

The three others followed close behind, Gabriel being the last one out. Wind roared past their ears despite their helmets. Snow blinded, they plummeted downwards in the raging blizzard, only aware of the ground beneath them through a heads-up-display built into the goggles over their eyes. Hardly a hundred meters from the ground, they pulled their chutes, landing safely, yet roughly in the deep chill reaping snow.

"Can't see shit, where are we?" asked Tevin.

"Er... right in front of the cave," said Jack.

"Really?" said Tevin.

"Apparently, yes," said Michael, "you can just barely make out the entrance, and looks like the dumb bastards didn't even leave someone to watch,"

Without question, Gabriel began trudging towards the cave. He was followed closely by his comrades, given their preference of a cave over being knee-deep in freezing snow. Upon reaching the cave, they noticed no lights at the entrance.

"What the hell? Why is it dark at the entrance?" asked Jack

"Not just the entrance, man, it's dark as far as I can see,"

"Great, anyone got a torch?"

Gabe lit the flashlight on his gun, illuminating the cave.

"Alright! Thatta boy, Gabe,"

Traversing the cave, they didn't find the slightest sign of life. A dark, damp, and deceiving aura filled the cave, almost shrouding its secrets while trying to consume the soldiers.

"Is it just me, or is this cave really low on terrorists?" asked Michael.

"Maybe this is the reason to gas the place," said Jack.

"Why would we gas the place when no one is here? What the shit is going-- what the," said Tevin, stumbling over something.

"Hit a rock there, Tevin?" asked Michael.

"Yeah, probably just a-- what the hell!" shouted Tevin, pointing his gun at a fresh human corpse.

"Whoa, the hell happened to him, man? Looks like someone just ripped him apart like a savage," said Jack

"Just don't touch him, keep a sharp eye, we're not alone," said Michael.

They trekked further into the cave, finally coming to a large, open space, with a pool of water in its center. Gabe approached the pool, feeling it resonate an aura of nostalgia. What it was born of, he didn't know.

"So..." began Jack, "anyone getting the feeling of-"

Suddenly a dark figure dropped onto Gabe. Upon shining light on it, a ghastly creature was revealed, bearing huge knives for arms, prying red orbs for eyes, and a black, shiny shell for a body. Without hesitation, the crew opened fire on the monster, aiming carefully, lest they hit Gabe, who wrestled the beast off and had his pistol ready to be unloaded on it. They all fired relentlessly at the alien. Without much trouble, the creature fell to its knees, leaking black blood and lead through a cracked and crushed shell. With almost no effort, the beast was disfigured and destroyed by brutal firearms. Brushing off what had happened, Tevin examined a nearby corpse.

"Hey," he said, "these aren't terrorists, these are explorers, our boys in fact,"

"What? An American expedition? Out here?" asked Michael coming to check on the body.

"Okay, anyone wondering what the hell tried to eat Gabe?" asked Jack.

"Biological experiment, probably was some kind of ape," said Tevin.

"You don't know that," said Jack.

"And why would I care to know?"

There was a distant growl.

"That's why, this is turning into colonial marines really fast," said Jack.

"Nothing we can't handle," said Tevin.

They looked into the direction of the growl, seeing perhaps hundreds of glowing red eyes suddenly open up to see them.

"Okay, now I believe you," said Tevin, "Hightail it!"

One by one they leaped into the pool of water, hoping to find an exit within the liquid crystal. Gabe stalled a bit, throwing a small cylindrical canister onto the floor. A thick green gas began to filter out of the canister, which the beasts began to choke on. He leaped into the water, swimming to the bottom to find his friends. No one there. He looked back at the water's surface, watching the creatures amass by the water's edge. Strangely, he felt the water's surface behind him. He looked back, and pushed through, finding himself in the same cave, but no monsters, just his friends. Michael fished him out of the water, and pulled him ashore.

"Hey man, what the hell? first mythical monsters now some double sided pool? What the hell!" shouted Jack.

"Shut up, Jack, we're still alive. What do you boys say we go and find an evac, now that those things are gone,"

Both Gabe and Michael nodded vigorously. Finding their way out was a simple task, given no one fell into a hole to his death. Emerging to the surface, the four found themselves on a mountainside.

"Damn, where are we now?" asked Tevin.

A young pegasus flew past them, startling Tevin. When the pegasus saw the soldiers, both stared, jaws dropped as low as it could.

"Uh... Hi," said Michael.

"AHHHHH!" shouted the pegasus, soaring away from the four soldiers.

"Something I said?" asked Michael.

Gabe tapped on his cousin's shoulder roughly, pointing behind them. Standing above the cave was a figure only Gabe and his cousin could recognize... Chrysalis.