• Published 25th Sep 2013
  • 231 Views, 0 Comments

Darkest Midnight - Midnight Flash 777



Midnight Flash goes on the adventure of his life! Or not, maybe this is just a story of a average everyday pony, read it to find out.

  • ...
 0
 231

Chapter 1: The Call

So our story begins... That’s usually how these things begin right? You know the story of a great hero facing challenges along the way to his ultimate goal? I assume so, but you know, every author can take their own spin on things. Anyway enough talk, well I guess there will be more talk, but you know what I mean. Righto then, enough stalling let’s get this thing rolling.

We join our hero, well maybe not hero, there’s nothing particularly heroic about him, he’s just your average everyday Unicorn, well Unicorn may not be the right word considering everyone in this world is an anthropomorphic pony, but we’ll call him a Unicorn. Anyway back to our protagonist, yes that’s a better word for him, we join him in his home in Canterlot during his morning rituals, sipping coffee and reading the paper, that’s what normal ponies do in the morning, right? Regardless our protagonist is about to leave for work at the local cafe, shall we hear what he has to say?

“Buck me, I shouldn’t have had all that hard apple cider last night...”

Classy... well everypony has their flaws, but let’s look past that for now, I’m sure it won’t be an important plot point later. Now then let’s let him continue.

“Luna damn them all... I really don’t want to go to work today, but I need my paycheck if I want to make rent this month.”

Our protagonist quickly finishes his coffee, puts on his jacket and scarf, combs his long, dark blue hair which has a single black stripe in it and proceeds to the cafe for his sure to be eventful day, or not, we’ll find out I suppose. Our protagonist arrives at the front door of the just opening cafe and steps in to be greeted by his co-worker, Lunar Shine.

“Hey Midnight, boy you look like shit this morning.”

“Gee thanks Lunar, just what I wanted to hear when I walked through the door.”

Lunar Shine giggles and gives a dismissive wave.

“I aim to please, now get back there and do what you’re paid to do.”

“Yes mother.”

And with that Midnight Flash goes into the back and begins to get things ready for the morning rush, though this doesn’t stop him from complaining.

“Buck, why do I have to do this same shit every morning, can’t that cheap bastard hire on a few more hands? It’s always just Lunar and I to handle the morning, and it ain’t easy.”

“Hey Midnight, you almost done back there? We got more customers coming in quick.”

“Don’t worry I’m almost done, just focus on your job and I’ll focus on mine.”

And thus they did, they worked and worked all through the morning. What you actually wanted to read through the morning rush? You’re a strange individual. But back to the story at hand.

“Buck... that was a rough shift...” says an exhausted Lunar Shine.

“No shit, who does that bucker think he is working us to near death?” asks an agitated Midnight Flash.

“Hey, don’t complain, he pays well, so what if we’re a bit tired at the end of the day?” asks Lunar.

“I just don’t find it fair, if he were to hire a few more ponies around here maybe we wouldn’t struggle to keep up.”

“You just bitch and complain about everything don’t you? No wonder you got booted from the royal guard.”

“I told you I didn’t follow the orders because they were stupid ass orders.” Midnight responds.

“So you say, but honestly, you were living the high life, protecting the Princess of the Night no less. How could you just throw all of that away?” asks Lunar.

“It came easier than you might expect, they were fine without me so I left.” replies Midnight.

“I still don’t buy that load of horse apples you know, but I guess I won’t get the truth from you anytime soon, anyway our shift is over, you go on ahead, I have some things I need to finish up here.”

“Right then, later Lunar.” says Midnight as he exits the cafe.

So it was a semi-eventful day I suppose, but regardless, we follow Midnight as he heads to meet up with his best friend Gray Flames... what do you mean you recognize that name from another story? I have no idea what you’re talking about, you’re obviously mistaken.

“Yo, Gray!” shouts Midnight as he walks up to Gray Flames.

“Midnight! Man it’s been too long!” replies Gray.

“You’re telling me, it’s been what, seven months?”

“Yeah, it’s nice to see you again man.”

“Likewise mate, anyhow, what brings a Pegasus like you to Canterlot?” asks Midnight.

“Well actually I came here on other business.” replies Gray.

“And what would that be?” Midnight asks suspiciously.

“Oh you know, I’m just dating Princess Luna is all.” Gray replies smugly as he runs his hand back through his silver hair.

Midnight looks at Gray in shock and disbelief but the look on Gray’s face proves his claim to be true, Midnight’s best friend was dating Princess Luna.

“No bucking way... you lucky bastard, how did you manage to do that!?” asks Midnight.

“Oh with a little help from some friends.” replies Gray.

The two talk for some time before it is time for Gray to go meet up with the lovely Lunar Princess.

“Oi I better see you around here damn soon, ya hear?”

“Don’t worry man, I’ll be sure to keep in touch.” replies Gray.

Gray Flames flies off leaving Midnight alone in town square, it’s beginning to get late so Midnight decides to head home to relax for the evening. What do you mean you’re confused? You say it seems like quite a time jump considering this started early morning? Well let me ask you something who is the author here? Yeah, that’s right, now just read the rest of the damn story.

“Buck me I’m tired, I think I’m just going to go to bed...” says Midnight.

So Midnight does as he says, and don’t even start with “Oh it can’t be much later than mid to late afternoon considering the day started at early morning.” well to that I must say, would you kindly shut up and read the story, these constant interruptions are making it difficult to tell it. So back to what I was saying before, Midnight does his bedtime rituals and is soon out like a light, though something is different, almost, off, in a sense. The night seems darker than usual and all the electronics in the room cease to function. Midnight begins to shift in his sleep, possibly from a bad dream but then a voice echoes through his head, a deep ominous voice filed with power.

“I am thou... And thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...” says the mysterious voice.

Midnight wakes with a start and lights the room with his magic, after seeing nothing he concludes it must have just been a bad dream and goes back to sleep. Now just what was that all about?

Author's Note:

So yeah, this is my first real story posted on here, do not, and I repeat, do not expect me to finish this.

Yeah I'm taking my own style of writing on this, gonna see how people react to it, I'm thinking either they will tolerate it or want to burn me at the stake for it.

That's about it, so yeah, enjoy!