• Published 6th Oct 2013
  • 652 Views, 6 Comments

Linkin Pony Recharge: The Catalyst - Kaciekk



The world is dying, the new breed is taking control. The Linkin Ponies need to find a new way to live. But how much to they have to sacrifice just for their own lives?

  • ...
2
 6
 652

Chapter VII

EchoBeat's red fur bristled as the humid air surrounded him. It felt like the walls grew closer every time he entered into the hall, and every step along the way. That feeling released once Echo came into the mainroom.

The ponies had already been in the base for more than a week. SpinningNote told them about the Hybrid attack and how he was able to stop it. It has lightly rained the day after, and overnight last night. But it was no heavy shower; they only got little water from it. The rain made the air more stuffy.

Echo glanced in the mainroom. CharmingRhythm stood a few steps away. Echo studied the Unicorn's face; he seemed to be in deep thought. His eyes were cold as he looked the opposite way of Echo. EchoBeat guessed that Rhythm felt a bit ashamed sometimes, having only half his leg. The grayish blue pony seemed to be able to walk okay, but limped whenever he missed a step. Echo noticed CharmingRhythm was trying to remain stoic with his feeling and actions.

EchoBeat stepped towards his friend. Rhythm's dark eyes finally some emotion.

"EchoBeat," Rhythm spoke as if he didn't know Echo was in the room. "H-hey."

Echo bowed his head and blinked. "Are... you okay?" He asked bashfully.

"Hmm? Oh yeah, I'm fine... I was just thinking..."

"Thinking about what?"

"N-nothing," Rhythm shook his head. "We all think don't we?"

"Mm-hmm," Echo nodded. "I've been thinking about something too," He took a pause, unsure. "I was thinking that maybe we need to find help. Or maybe see if there are other ponies around here."

"Do you think there would be?" Rhythm asked.

"We have to check. I have a feeling there is. I know there has to be somepony who can help us-"

"Help us with what?"

Echo sighed. "Maybe they can give us advice about Hybrids. Maybe they know about that blue energy stuff, and maybe they can help you with your leg."

"I don't need help," Rhythm lied, and pulled his half limb to the side.

"CharmingRhythm," Echo looked down. "I want to know what that blue stuff is. Maybe it can help us. But I do have a feeling somepony is out there. I want to go out."

"That's dangerous."

"I know. But I want to see if some one is there. I can be careful. And I don't want to go alone," Echo explained.

"I can come," Rhythm offered.

"What? No, that's a bad idea," The red Earth-pony eyed Rhythm's leg.

"I can still fight a Hybrid! I can still get around. Why do you think-"

"Rhyth," Echo spoke with sympathy. "Admit it, you couldn't run from a Hybrid. That leg isn't like a flesh-wound."

"You're right," Rhythm breathed out. "But you need some pony to come with you. I know that you are smart, even if you wouldn't want to fight."

"BlazingFlair said he's never going outside for months," Echo began. "SpinningNote probably would make some excuse; Hyper is too loud... FeatherTune maybe... he's a bit confused."

"He hasn't really been out yet, you should bring him."

"Bring who?" A voice came from behind.

Echo and Rhythm turned to see the cream Pegasus. EchoBeat spoke. "You. Would you like to come with me. I want to see if I can find anypony, I have a feeling somepony is out there-"

"Yeah, there are ponies out there! They're called Hybrids!" FeatherTune said in Echo's face.

"Don't be smart," The pony replied without anger. "We just need to check. And I want to have a pony to back me up."

"Then I'll get a weapon to bring with me," Feather said bluntly and whirled around out of the mainroom.

CharmingRhythm blinked at Echo. "He's not going to fight, even if he says so."

EchoBeat nodded and smirked.

--

The two ponies trotted outside in the lifeless world. They decided to check the abandoned neighborhood first. If ponies still lived here, it would be a nice place. EchoBeat thought as he stepped carefully. FeatherTune eyed around for any trouble. He wanted to fly above to see around them, but Echo said that a Hybrid could see him easier. Really, Echo knew that might not be true, he just wanted them to stay together.

The stallions turned by a electrical pole, and passed a chain-link fence. There was a cellar door that was blocked by some old crates, and the windows on some buildings were cracked. Barrels, wood, and even a refrigerator laid on the ground useless. All of this was disgusting to Echo. He truly wished ponies didn't do this to themselves.

Echo pushed open a wooded fence in their path with his red hooves. His heart stopped for a second as the wood creaked. FeatherTune kicked a sand sack to the side. Echo called the Pegasus as he fell behind. The Earth-pony's ears twitched as the wind passed through the branches of dead trees. He closed his eyes and imagined a greener world, with leaves falling to the earth. With calls of birds in the air, and laughter of ponies. That vision faded when a voice called out.

"What was that!?" Feather exclaimed.

Echo halted. There was a tapping sound. Something was coming. He shot a glance at Feather, who's auburn eyes were worried. Echo tried to think of what to do. They were in the open, in the middle of two rows of buildings. Feather darted in between to houses and jumped over two barrels. Echo followed and went behind the barrels. In the dark, cramped space, the ponies watched through the small openings. Echo pushed aside a sand sack to have more room and to help hide.

"I knew we shouldn't have come out!" Feather rasped.

"Shh," EchoBeat tried to silence him.

Echo settled stiffly. His ears prickled and he tried to look though the vertical peep-hole. He could feel FeatherTune ruffle his wing. Echo tried to listen to the tapping sound, but Feather's breathing seemed to distract him. The eager Pegasus wanted to look out too. His cheek pressed against Echo's shady beard. Echo pushed him with a shoulder and tried hard not to speak.

As his brown eyes narrowed Echo studied the movements outside. Chills ran through his red fur as he saw a shadow fall on the ground. An olive-green figure placed a hoof on the dry ground. The Unicorn's pale mane seemed to blend in with the paleness of the world. The pony had a smooth cover over it's right forehoof. It seemed like it was metal, like a Hybrid part. But Echo studied the figure. He didn't has rusted metal plates, wires digging into his flesh, guns or claws, nor beaming red eyes. He could be a real pony. Echo thought.

The Earth-pony shifted his muscles and moved forward slightly, his muzzle pressing the barrel. "I think he's safe." He said quietly.

"What?" Feather moved uneasily. "We can't trust him. He could be a Hybrid. Look at that thing on his leg."

"He doesn't seem like a Hybrid to me," Whispered Echo. "He doesn't have many metal implants, even if that is one, and he doesn't move like a Hybrid."

Echo stood up slowly. Feather coughed a word but Echo couldn't comprehend it. The red pony just hopped over the barrels, his hooves hitting the top. He wobbled to a stance, then made eye-contact with his opposer. The olive Unicorn seemed a bit startled.

"You're not a Hybrid," Echo said with ease.

"I certainly hope not," The pony replied. "You seem to be a common pony. Are you a wanderer? You must be looking for more ponies."

"Yeah- How did you know?"

"I can just tell. Especially by the way you looked at me," The pony nodded. "My name is SparkWire."

"I.. I'm EchoBeat. Yes I am looking for some help. I just came here about a week ago," Echo eyed SparkWire's metal cover on his hoof. "What I that?"

"This here," He held it up. "Is a hoof-cover. it holds pure energy. It's like the Hybrid parts, but its not an actual limb, and it won't control nerves. It connects to the brainwaves."

"That's astonishing," Echo gaped.

SparkWire's deep gaze looked to the side, his ears perked up. "It seems you have friend who would favor in joining our conversation."

EchoBeat turned and saw auburn eyes staring from the dark space. "Why don't you come, FeatherTune."

The cream Pegasus fluttered over the barrels. He gave a suspicious look at SparkWire. "How do we really know you're not a Hybrid?"

"A Hybrid would have many more parts than I, and this pure energy is good. It can be used against Hybrids. I am a scientist, I know how to work this. I made it."

"Wait," Echo leaned forward. "Pure energy?" He studied a sphere on the hoof-cover that glowed bright blue. "Is that what that light is in the ground, from the crystals?"

SparkWire bowed his head. "Hmm. Have you seen it?"

"Yes. There was a large cellar underground from our base, there was blue crystals and they gave off a very powerful energy."

"So it is you who took that building over there? I saw it a while ago, I wished to investigate it, but I was some ponies was taking it for themselves," SparkWire admitted." You see, the pure energy is from the earth. It has been collecting over many years, and was harnessed in crystals. I has appeared in the ground after ponies have taken so much oil from the top layer, and it is attracted to the change in atmosphere.But you say you need help?"

"Yeah," Echo said, flushed, and shot a glance at Feather. "You say you're a scientist. And you can make such hoof-covers that connect with the brainwaves... do you think you are able to make mechanical, amputated limbs that do the same?"

"I have done that once before. But I do not see any need for you two. None of you are missing a limb."

"It's our friends." Echo said.

"Wait. But it was that same energy that disintegrated CharmingRhythm's leg," Feather exclaimed.

"I have no doubt in that. Pure energy is powerful, and can be harmful in large numbers. In smaller numbers, in a few crystals, and if harnessed and collected properly, it can be very useful. It, as I said, can be used against Hybrid. I knew there was some other recourse out there, I was searching, and I found it."

"Wow." Echo was fascinated by the scientist. "So do you think you can make some limbs... and maybe show us how to harness energy? I don't want to take advantage of you."

"No, no. That is completely fine. I'd be honored. This is what I want to do, to inform of others about this energy," SparkWire smiled. "Show me the way."