• Published 4th Oct 2013
  • 2,660 Views, 26 Comments

MLPs: Agents of Harmony - Amante



This is the story of six young girls embarking on the adventure of a lifetime filled with magic, giant monsters and a whole new world that's been hiding right beneath their feet.

  • ...
6
 26
 2,660

Confrontation

“Why? Why do I have to do this?” asked Twilight Sparkle.

“Oh, come on, Twiley. It’s not that bad,” said Shining Armor.

“Yes it is.”

“You’ll be able to spend more time with your new friends.”

Twilight snorted. “I don’t think they count me as a friend.”

“Which all the more justifies you having to do this.”

Twilight went over to sulk on a large, brown chair that sat just beside a large bookcase. She and Shining Armor were inside the study of Illumina Mansion, their family's ancestral home.

A knock on the door sounded and in walked Night Light, the father of the siblings. He had dark blue skin, and a tuft of bluer hair. He approached his daughter and gave her a reassuring tap on the shoulder. “Come now, my little spark. You know this is something you have to do.”

Twilight looked to her father with big eyes. “Do I really have to?”

“You know it’s for the best.”

Twilight shifted her gaze.

Night Light frowned slightly. “Remember when you used to tell me that you were going to be one of the greatest agents in history? This is your chance to do that and so much more, my little spark. You’re going to be a Harmony Agent, something even I could never hope to accomplish.”

Twilight looked back to her father, former Overseer Night Light. “It’s just...I’m scared.”

Night’s gaze softened. “What frightens you, my spark?”

“What if it doesn’t work? What if I don’t get along with them? What if they don’t like me? What happens to Project Harmony then?” Twilight started hyperventilating.

Twilight.” Night’s voice echoed through the chamber. Twilight relaxed.

“First of all,” he continued, “when have you ever not gotten along with someone? You are a very friendly and approachable young girl. Second, what’s not to like about you, my little spark?” He lifted his daughter’s chin so her eyes looked into his. “Finally, when have you ever failed a task given by Central? Never, that’s when. You’ll do wonderfully even in this one.”

Twilight took a deep breath and stood up straight. Her eyes were filled with renewed determination as she stood up from the chair. “You’re right, dad. Thanks.” The pair shared a warm hug. When they finished, Twilight nodded to Shining Armor and the two of them made their way to the garage.

They got into Shining’s convertible and drove off into the city of Canterlot.

“So are you excited?” Shining asked with a grin.

“Not really,” replied his sister.

“Well, like I said, it won’t be as bad as you think. It’ll be your first time too. Frankly, I think it’s about time you did something ‘normal.’”

“Are you kidding me? They’ll tear me apart! Haven’t you ever seen the films? Or the literature? They’ll gobble me up and be done with me!”

He gave her a flat look.

“What? If they all say that then there must be a spectre of truth in it.”

“I guess, but not there. And really, Twiley? Those ridiculous movies are usually way off the mark. Not only that, but you and I both know that everyone there is inherently different. I doubt you’d be getting problems like that.”

Twilight didn’t answer. Instead, she just sulked in her chair.

After several minutes of silence, they arrived at their destination. Twilight got off the vehicle and stared at the ominous structure before her. She gulped and took one last look at Shining Armor. He gave her a friendly wave as he said, “Have fun at school, Twiley!”

She made her way to the dreaded doors of doom. She knew that once she went through, there would be no turning back. She would be a student at Canterlot High. A student.

She entered the building. The halls were empty.

“Huh?” she asked to no one in particular.

A voice from her right called her attention.

“I admit, Agent Sparkle, I did not expect you would actually go along with this,” said Overseer Luna. She was tall, only slightly smaller than her sister, Celestia. Like her sister, her face was youthful but with eyes that told the story of the ages; but unlike her sister, her skin was a light shade of indigo. Her hair was a wavy, deep shade of blue that resembled the night sky more than it did actual hair.

She approached Twilight Sparkle with a stern look. “Nevertheless, you being here means that you have agreed to become a student. That means that you are under my jurisdiction when you are within these walls. As both your superior and your vice-principal, I find your tardiness to be unacceptable to the standards of this school.”

Twilight was frozen in place, trying her best to avoid Luna’s gaze.

“However.” The Overseer’s visage lightened and she smiled. “As your friend, I can understand your anxieties and I want you to know that both my sister and I are here for you. Even the entire faculty, all of them being agents, are on your side Twilight. We know your purpose and we want to see you and those girls succeed.”

Twilight stood in shock before breaking into a smile all her own. “Thank you, ma’am.”

Luna smirked. “But you are seriously late. It’ll be second period in three, two, one.”

Bells around the school sang their song.

“I suggest you get to class,” Luna said before she turned to leave.

Twilight brought out her phone to check her schedule. Chemistry, she thought. This shouldn’t be so bad. The moment she thought it, the halls began to echo as the ground started to shake. Suddenly, the doors to the rooms burst open letting out wave after wave of students into the halls.

With eyes wide as plates, Twilight turned and rushed to her classroom in attempt to avoid the crowd as much as possible. She turned the corner to the hall where her room was. Her face contorted when she found the hall filled with her fellow students. Pushing and squeezing her way through the crowd, she finally managed to enter the room. The room had three long tables horizontally arranged that had several small pipes running along it. A large chalkboard sat in front.

The first thing she saw when she regained herself was her classmates. In the rear were two active agents. They gave her a subtle nod in greeting. Closer to the front was the very thing she had been dreading all morning. The other five Harmony Agents. Four of them had eyes as wide as hers as they stared at her. Only Pinkie Pie seemed unfazed as she smiled and waved to Twilight.

The silence that befell the room would have gone on had the teacher not cleared her throat and gotten everybody’s attention. Twilight turned her head and realized that this was Agent Inkwell’s chemistry class.

She approached her and smiled. “Ah, you must be the transfer. I’ve been expecting you, young lady. Would you like to introduce yourself to the class before we begin?”

Twilight Sparkle approached the center-front of the room. She looked to her classmates and introduced herself. “Hi, my name is Twilight Sparkle and I’m new here. I just transfered here from, uh.” She hesitated for a moment. She knew she had to make something up, something believable. “I’m from Manehattan. My family moved here and I guess I’m here now too.” She ended with a weak chuckle.

Professor Inkwell nodded. “Very good. It is nice to meet you, Miss Sparkle. Please find a seat so that we may begin.”

Twilight’s heart nearly stopped. She noticed that there were two empty seats. One was in the third row, whilst the other was beside Rarity in the front row. She took a step forward as she considered her choices. Another step, a bead of sweat made its way down her face. Another step, her heart was racing. Another step, she thought her legs would buckle from her weight.

She sat in the back.

Her face was blank as she absently watched Inkwell go on about acids and bases. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Rainbow Dash turn and look at her with an eyebrow raised high. She gulped. This was going to be a long day.



The day before, Twilight Sparkle was observing the cafeteria of Canterlot High, watching students mingle and otherwise hangout. The thought had crossed her mind on more than one occasion on what it would be like to be there with your peers, not having to worry about things like manticores and chimaeras attacking.

She had a vague feeling of what it was like to be with your peers, but she still worried about monster attacks. She sat alone at her table as she stared at the meatball she was pushing around on her plate.

“Excuse me?” said a voice from behind her.

She turned and found, to her surprise, Fluttershy. The yellow girl was carrying with her a tray with two bowls of mixed fruits.

“Hi there,” she said. “Would you mind if I sit with you?”

“No,” Twilight said, unsure of what exactly was going on. “Go right ahead.”

Fluttershy pulled the chair beside Twilight and got settled in. Once she was, she grabbed one of the bowls and offered it to Twilight. “Would you like one? They’re really yummy”

With one eyebrow slightly raised, Twilight accepted the kind offer. “Thank you.”

“It’s no problem,” she said with a smile.

The two ate in utter silence for the next few moments. Finally, Twilight decided to speak up. “So, Fluttershy, you like animals…right?”

After she swallowed what was in her mouth, Fluttershy replied, “Oh yes. I take care of a number of the animals in Canterlot. The shelters in the city just don’t have the resources to manage them all, so I help in what ways I can.”

“Well that’s very noble of you.”

“Thank you.”

The two returned to their meals. The silence between them seemed boundless. It revealed its limitations only when someone new had arrived to their table.

It was Rarity. “Good afternoon, Fluttershy.” She paused and took a good look at the girl beside her. “Twilight. Would it be alright for me to accompany you for lunch?”

Twilight, with brows slightly furrowed, said, “Please, go ahead.”

“Thank you.” She sat across from Twilight.

Silence befell the three once more as they ate. The weight of the situation was starting reflect in their eyes. Rarity paid far more attention than was necessary to the pasta she was twirling around her fork. Her eyes darted around the room every once in a while as if they were searching for something.

Twilight finally picked up the meatball with her own fork and was instead lathering it in the sauce on her plate. Her eyes remained downcast, only stealing a glance at either of the two every once in a while.

Fluttershy took another bite of her salad. She cringed when the crunch of some of the fruits produced a sound that she felt was much too loud for the situation.

Rarity released a long sigh. “I suppose it’s time to address the elephant in the room. Twilight…”

The aforementioned cringed at her name. She looked to the designer’s stern expression. A bead of sweat slowly made its way down her face.

Rarity continued. “The other day, my friends and I bonded with a mysterious girl who was actually a pony from a magical dimension. We became the best of friends and helped her win back her crown. Together, we defeated some kind of evil abomination that was our classmate.” She paused and looked Twilight in the eye. “You are not her.”

Twilight sunk into her chair. Her eyes were downcast as she looked away.

Rarity gave off another sigh. “You are yourself. Which is why I suppose I should stop thinkning that you are her.” She extended her hand towards Twilight.

Twilight raised her head and looked at Rarity. Her mouth was hanging open as she stared at the open palm. Slowly, she lifted her own hand and took Rarity’s. Her lips began to curl upwards as she saw the smile that Rarity gave her. Her eyes watered slightly as she recognized the look in Rarity’s eyes. She had only ever saw it once before. On Central Officer Celestia.

“It’s nice to meet you, Twilight Sparkle.”

“Oh girls!” Fluttershy cried. She grabbed the two and pulled them into an impromptu hug over the table.



As the final bell of the day rang, Rainbow Dash and Applejack arrived at their neighboring lockers at the same time.

“Hey, Rainbow. You ready for this?”

“I guess.” She opened her locker and pulled out a brand new, custom-fit grey blazer with a pair of nicely-pressed dark jeans. Carefully folded inside the jacket’s breast pocket were two white, silk gloves. She looked at the article of clothing. “You know, on some level, I actually still can’t believe this is happening.”

“Ah know whatcha mean,” said Applejack as she held her her own outfit: a red blazer complemented by a pair of black slacks.

The pair entered the closest bathroom and came out dressed as official agents of MLP. They made their way down a hallway until they reached one of the schools lecture halls. The wall where the black boards stood was occupied by two large elevator doors. Spread around the room were other people, some they had known to be students, others were faculty they had never met. As they passed through the room, they exchanged nods and smiles with their fellow agents.

The two of them were the only ones going down and so they had the elevator to themselves.

“Who would’ve guessed that all our teachers were actually pretty awesome?”

“Ah know. Hay, even Mr. Integrator’s one of them agents.”

The elevator dropped them off in a hallway, at the end of which was the grand atrium. They approached the center as they silently admired the details woven into the facilities design. There weren’t as many agents in the facility today as there were yesterday. Most likely because it was a relatively quiet day without any Class 7 emergencies popping up in the city. As such, besides the guards, the only other person in the atrium was their friend, Pinkie Pie.

“Hey girls!” she called out.

“Have the others arrived yet?” asked Applejack.

“Nope. They’re still changing into their outfits,” Pinkie replied as she pulled on the collar of her own grey blazer.

“You were with them?” asked Rainbow.

“Nope!”

Rainbow nodded. “Ah, I get it. Pinkie Sense?”

“Yup! Rarity, Fluttershy and Twilight’ll be here in seven and a half minutes.”

“Twilight?” said the cowgirl and the athlete as they gave each other a look.

“Mmm Hmm. They’ve been hanging out since lunch.”

“Well. That’s...nice,” was all Rainbow Dash managed to say. “Let’s go, Pinkie. Red Letter must already be waiting for us in the training center.”

“Huh? I don’t-”

“No, Pinkie,” Rainbow said with gritted teeth. “I’m sure she’s there waiting. Let’s go.” Not waiting for her, she grabbed Pinkie and stormed off into the southeast hallway.

With a shrug, Applejack decided to head to her new division as well.

Eventually, Rainbow released Pinkie and let her walk beside her. That was when Pinkie noticed the lines on Rainbow’s forehead as she glared at the air in front of them as they walked.

“Rainbow, what’s the matter?”

“I don’t wanna talk about it.”

“I suppose,” Pinkie mused. “But I think we both know I’m just going to keep bugging you until you finally decide to talk to your Auntie Pinkie Pie.”

Rainbow directed her glare towards her friend. “I doubt it...Okay, maybe. But not now, alright? Let’s talk about this later.”

“Whenever you’re ready, Rainbow.” Pinkie said reassuringly, a large smile plastered on her face.

A long hallway preceded the underground open court of the training center. There were two large doors on either side that led to the male and female locker and relaxation rooms of the reactionary division. Standing in the middle of the hall was Agent Red Letter. She leaned against the wall as she observed her charges approach.

“Good afternoon, ladies.”

“Hiya!” said Pinkie as she bounced forward.

“Hey, Red. So about what I talked to you about yesterday, were they able to make it?” asked Rainbow.

Red smirked. “Of course they were. Although, I admit it was a strange request. Even the Magitek folks thought so.” She handed Rainbow a thin, black, leathery belt.

“Awesome!” Rainbow exclaimed. She grabbed the belt and wrapped it around her waist, on top of her blazer. After examining how it looked for a moment, she grasped the belt as if to pull it off.

Red grabbed Rainbow’s wrist before she could do what she wanted. “Not here, kiddo. Training Center. I’ll show you the Simulation Room.”

“Simula-”

“It does exactly what the name implies,” said Red flatly.

The three entered the open area. Much like the rest of Canterlot Control, the training area was relatively devoid of people. Only a few agents were there, exercising and refining their techniques. One such agent was Sweet Melody. She slowly moved her limbs around her, drawing figures and shapes in the air. On occasion, she bent her knee and performed a sweeping motion with her upper body. Finally, she ended with her body upright and her gloved hands in prayer pose.

She retracted her right hand and performed an uppercut in the air in front of her. A large, blue, crystal-like barrier formed just ahead of her. She opened up the same hand, brought it back to her, and pushed towards the barrier. It was sent flying forwards, violently pushing the air in front of it. Using her other hand, she repeated the motion to her left. LIkewise, the blue shield flew through the air. She brought her back to her sides and exhaled.

“Sweets!” called Pinkie

Sweet Melody turned around with a smile. “Hey, Pinkie!”

As the two new friends walked off, Rainbow and Red approached a large door to the right. It slid open and into a large, empty room. The walls, ceiling, and floor were illuminated as if they had lights under them.

“Now you can bring your new toy out,” said Red.

“Awesome.” Rainbow grasped her belt and built in her mind the image of what it should be. When she found out that reactionary agents could have whatever weapon they could choose, she knew exactly what she wanted. She pulled and the leather just below her hand snapped, allowing her to pull it free. As it circled around her, the leather at her hand wrapped around and solidified into a guard. The rest of the belt extended until it was a good four feet long. The leather then took on a shiny, metallic appearance that glinted in the light of the room. Rather than solidify, the metal retained its flexibility allowing her to whip it around in several arcs before finally letting it rest beside her.

Rainbow looked at the aara in her hand and grinned. “Now this is cool.”

“They also attuned it to your magic, that way it’ll be easier for you to control, and that you don’t accidentally hurt yourself when you’re swinging it around.”

Rainbow waved it around as she adjusted to its weight. Using her speed, she made several laps around the room, all the while watching her weapon weave its way through the air. She twisted her arm and made the sword form loops in the air which she subsequently jumped through. Her movements began to resemble that of a gymnast performing with a ribbon. She ended with a twirl in the center of the room. “Bring it,” she said as she wore a confident smirk.

Red nodded and approached a console that was attached to the wall. She looked to Rainbow Dash and said, “Get ready, kiddo. It’s about to begin.”

Rainbow crouched down and readied herself. The room she was in began to melt away as it was replaced by that of verdant meadows. She stood up and observed the scenery around her. Off in the distance were several mountains. To her right, about a mile away, was a large, blue lake. The tall grass behind her began to rustle. She turned and raised her sword arm.

A rat the size of a wolf leapt out straight towards her. It was fast, but she was faster. She ran around it and swung her arm. Her aara curled through the air and slammed right into the rat’s snout. It cried out as particles of light emerged from the large gash on its face.

The grasses around Rainbow all began to move. Her eyes widened as four more of the rodents of unusual size emerged and pounced towards her. Unfortunately for them, she was still faster. She jumped to the side and turned, mid-air, as she brought her arm back around. The sword followed and flexed around her. The malleable blade made contact with each of the rats and sent them flailing towards the ground. The five were reduced to harmless field mice.

She stood up and threw her arm back allowing her sword to extend all the way. She took a breath but was cut short by the distinct sound of metal on metal. She felt her aara’s blade fall limply to the ground. She turned and found it at the foot of Red Letter, saber fully drawn.

“Not bad, but how about a real challenge?” She raised her arm and faced Rainbow.

Rainbow pulled her sword back and whipped it around her. “This’ll be fun.”

Red Letter charged towards her. Rainbow leapt back and swung her arm, causing the aara to sail towards the other agent’s head. In response, Red turned her body and brought her saber to bear against the flexing blade.

As the aara began to wrap around the saber, Red dove down and slid her blade away from her opponent’s. Rainbow spun around and, like a gymnast’s ribbon, made her blade twirl around her before making it sail towards Red once more.

Thinking quickly, Red crouched down and rolled to the left, narrowly avoiding the soaring aara. She stood up and regained herself as Rainbow cracked her sword like a whip.

“I know you’re athlete but this is something else. Care to explain,” said Red as the two stared each other down.

“I’ve always liked martial arts,” Rainbow explained. “I’ve got black belts in several of them too. The aara is one of the old, traditional weapons. When I first saw it, I always thought it looked so cool. As to why I’m so good with it, I used to practice with a whip. It wasn’t pretty though. I got more than my fair share of whiplash. Got a few nasty scars in some dark places.”

“Ouch. But nonetheless impressive for one so young.”

“Hey, you're the one that said us agents are special, right?”

Red smirked. “Yes. I did. As for your scars; there’s nothing the white coats can’t fix.” She charged Rainbow and the two began another round of sparring.

After several more rounds of stalemates, the two decided that they had had enough and ended the illusion.

“Not bad, Rainbow. Not bad,” said Red Letter.

“Thanks,” she replied.

When they exited the room, Red had turned and decided to get something to eat. Still feeling pumped up, Rainbow declined and decided to practice with her aara a little more. As she went to an empty spot in the open court, she brought out her sword and began to twirl it around.

As she turned around to complete a swing, she found herself face-to-face with a familiar pink expression.

“Hey, Rainbow. How was your training?” asked Pinkie Pie.

“Aaaah!” She jumped a couple of feet back and swung her sword.

Pinkie casually bent her body and legs making her chest parallel to the ground, easily avoiding the aara. Rainbow let go of her weapon and it receded back into a belt.

“Pinkie! What gives? I could’ve seriously hurt you!” demanded Rainbow.

Pinkie giggled in response. “I doubt that.” She raised an eyebrow and gave Rainbow a knowing look.

Rainbow brushed herself off and noticed the look on her friend’s face. She adopted a glare. “No.”

“You’re going to have to talk about it eventually.” Pinkie grinned.

“No.”

“Is it about our school being a secret base?”

“No.”

“Is it about all our teachers lying to us?”

“No.”

“Is it about the big monster we fought the other day?”

“No,” Rainbow growled.

“Is it about that time I ate that last churro?”

Rainbow was starting to boil. “NO!”

“Is it about Twilight?”

“YES!” she yelled at her friend’s face.

The two blinked at each other. Rainbow sighed while Pinkie smirked.

“Wanna talk about it now?” asked Pinkie.

“Fine.”

The two friends sat down on the grass beside each other.

“So what’s got you so worked up?” asked Pinkie.

“I dunno.” Rainbow leaned back and supported herself with her arms. “I guess I still find it weird that she isn’t Twilight.”

“What do you mean? Of course she’s Twilight.”

Rainbow shot Pinkie a look. “You know what I mean. Why aren’t you bothered by it?”

Pinkie cupped her chin in thought. “The way I see it, I get to make a new friend. Who doesn’t like making new friends?”

“I suppose, but still. Doesn’t it feel like we’re betraying the other Twilight in a way?” Rainbow laid down on the grass. “It feels like we’re cheating on her or something.”

Pinkie raised her brows and stifled a giggle. “Well that’s an interesting way of looking at it, but I think I get what you mean.”

Rainbow turned her head to face Pinkie. “You do?”

Pinkie twisted her body around to lay on her belly. With her head on her hands, she faced her friend. “You’ve gotta stop thinking that you’re replacing her. Sure they’re both purple and are named Twilight Sparkle, but that doesn’t mean there can only be one purple Twilight in your life. It’s like I always say: You can never have too many friends. Just because you meet somebody else who likes parties doesn’t mean you’ll stop going to mine, right?” She pouted exaggeratedly at Rainbow.

Rainbow giggled in response. “Of course not. You’ll always be my party pal, Pinkie.” She sat back up and hugged her knees. “I guess I never looked at it that way.” She released a long sigh. “I guess you’ve got a point. If I can let one Twilight into my life, I can let another in. How hard could it be?”

“That’s the spirit!” Pinkie bolted back up and gave her friend a much needed hug.

Rainbow hugged her back.



After reaching Magitek Lab 03, Applejack engaged in light conversation and got to know a few more of her fellows. When she had mentioned that she wanted to try her hand at making something, one of the agents she was talking to, Sea Swirl, a pale pink girl with two-toned blue hair, offered to help her get acquainted with the various tools available. They made their way to the workshops.

“So, what exactly do you do ‘round here?” asked Applejack.

“I help with the maintenance of this whole place. My teammates and I are the ones who make sure that everything works one-hundred percent. After All, it wouldn’t do if the transmitters suddenly shut down or if a reactionary’s bike stalled,” answered Sea Swirl with more than a little pride in her voice.

“Then that means you really are the right person for showin’ me around.”

“Definitely.” Sea approached the wall of tools. “One of the things that makes design for us so easy is this little thing,” she said as she placed a large black box with a glass sheet at the top face onto the work table. She pressed a button on the wall that made a section of wall retract to reveal a large screen. She pulled out a cord from the black box and plugged into a port beside the screen. The screen lit up and showed nothing.

“Alright, now what?”

“Now I want you to put your hand on this little baby and to think of what it is you want to build. But you’ll need your conduits”

Applejack approached the table as she put on her gloves. She placed her hand on the glass of the box. A line of light, much like a photocopier, scanned her hand. She felt a strange tingling sensation inside her head. Slowly, an image began to form on the screen.

Sea Swirl tilted her head. “Is that a…?” On the screen was a sleek and shiny, long-barrelled revolver with a smooth wooden handle. As the image completed, it revealed that it also had a gold plated trigger guard and the image of an apple embossed on the metal plate just at the beginning of the barrel.

“This is Quickdraw,” said Applejack. “She belonged my pah. Long time ago, back when I lived in Ponyville, me and my brother used to go out and play with the darn thing. Completely unloaded of course. Sure it was dangerous and kinda stupid but it was a way that the two of us remembered him by.

“Anyway, one day, we were playin’ by the river and one thing led to another. Quickdraw fell in. We were too small to jump in and try to get it ourselves and we were too darn ‘shamed of ourselves to get help. Never saw her again.” Applejack sighed. “Ah figure that, with all these little toys, Ah could bring her back, even if in spirit.” She had on a wistful smile as she reminisced.

Sea Swirl nodded. “I can understand. Your parents were great people. Some of the best agents we had, too.”

Applejack dropped her smile. “What did you say?”

Sea Swirl took a step back as she noticed the intensity in Applejack’s eyes. “Your pare-” She paused as she realized something. “You didn’t know. Of course you didn’t, you just awoke yesterday.”

“What are you talking about?” Applejack was incredulous.

Sea took a step towards the young agent. “Agent Applejack, you’re father and mother were renowned as some of the best we had back then.”

“What? No! Mah parents were apple farmers. They took care of the largest of all the Apple family’s orchards: Sweet Apple Acres.” Her face scrunched up. “Then one day, on a train ride to Dodge Junction, it happened. Ah never saw them again.”

Applejack held her head in confusion. A strange feeling deep inside her started to grow. She hadn’t felt it in years. It was the scintilla of doubt that something was up in the circumstances of her parents death. “Are ya’ll tellin’ me that that was all a lie!?”

Sea took a breath. “Years ago, a Class 10 anomaly appeared in southeast Equestria, right beside Dodge City. We weren’t really sure of what it was but what we did know was that it caused extreme spatial and temporal fluctuations. We lost contact with the Dodge Branch and so they sent a number of teams to investigate.”

She looked Applejack in the eye and took another step towards her. “Your father led the reactionary teams and your mother led the obfuscation teams. By the time they reached the city limits, they realized that the entire place was paused. Time was frozen in one moment. According to their transmissions, the people were vaguely aware of things still happening to them. Slowly, the four teams sent in befell the same fate.

“The last message we received was from your mother. She said that she and your father had figured out a way to stop the anomaly. Unfortunately, whatever they did had the side effect of making the entire of Dodge City disappear.” Sea was close enough to hold the younger’s shoulders and so she did. “Your parents managed to save Equestria from an unspeakable fate.”

For a moment, Applejack said nothing. She only had a glazed look as she stared at nothing in particular. Sea Swirl did the only thing she could think to do at that moment. She brought her close and held her in an embrace.

After what seemed like an eternity, Applejack spoke up. “Ya’ll have records of all your agents and stuff, right?”

Sea Swirl let her go. “Yes. Information on personnel, everything, are in the obfuscation’s archives.”

“Good. I think I’d like to know more about them.” She looked to Sea. “I can do that right?”

The older agent smile in response. “Of course. Do you want to go now?”

Applejack closed her eyes in thought before shaking her head. “No. Not yet. For the moment, I’d like to think of something else.” She looked to the wall of tools once more.