• Published 17th Sep 2013
  • 4,332 Views, 98 Comments

Stargazing Together - Slateblu1



Luna's mind is fractured, broken. If she is going to return as a princess of Equestria, she needs time to heal, as much as she can. But who is going to help her heal, and who will she be at the end of it all?

  • ...
12
 98
 4,332

Revelations

She wanted to run after her. She wanted to hunt her down and confront her. She needed to know how she knew, how she had figured it out. Did I slip up? Did I say something that clued her in? Nightmare’s mind raced as she tried to understand. She couldn’t run after her, though. She was scared. She didn’t think she could face Quiet if she had found out. If she hadn’t, but suspected it, her reaction would only confirm it. It was too big a risk.

Pacing back and forth, the night princess focused on determining how her therapist had figured out her darkest secret. “If she had been asking Celestia or Twilight questions, they would have told me,” she reasoned. “But, they’re the only two I’ve really talked to…” With a growl of frustration, she threw her head back. “Alright, what could they know, and have told Quiet?”

“Twilight first,” she decided. Mmmm, yes, Twilight will always be first… Nightmare growled again, much louder. “Would you be quiet?” she screamed at the voice in her head. With a blast from her horn she threw the doors to her balcony open and stormed out to glare into the distance. A cold night wind blew through her wings, but it did little to soothe the burning anger in her chest. “Twilight Sparkle is our friend.” She growled mostly under her breath. It was a struggle to keep her voice down. “She is not some hussy for us to go lusting after.”

Only a content snicker echoed from the depths of her mind. With a deep breath, Nightmare sat down on the balcony. “Twilight.” Another deep breath, and she looked out over the plains at the base of the mountain. “She’s scared of me still. I’d rather she wasn’t, but I understand.” Her features turned sour before she continued. “But she’s only met me as Luna. I’ve been very careful to not let myself show through. Moreso her than anypony else.” A dark chuckle escaped her lips.

“What about Tia?” she asked herself, standing and moving to the railing to stare out at her sister’s tower. “She may have noticed some odd behavior from me. That first time certainly didn’t go well…” Biting her lip in worry, she continued to stare. “If Quiet is as good as she says, that may have been enough for her to figure it out. Or at least suspect.”
Resting her chin on the railing, she let her eyes unfocus and stare off into the distance. I don’t know what to do. Her mind wandered as she gazed out over Equestria.


When Twilight next arrived, Nightmare was waiting in the garden for her. She was tired, but happy to see Twilight again. “Come, Twilight. I have many questions for you this week.” She had briefly considered whether or not to confront Twilight and determine what she knew, if anything. In the end, she decided that the risk was to great. There was only a small chance Twilight would have anything to tell, and wouldn’t break down, and a large chance she would break down or run screaming.

A spring in her step, Twilight darted forward and settled in next to the princess. “Certain-” before she could finish her word, a cold winter breeze swept through the gardens. Nightmare was more than used to the cold; her millenium on the moon had been far worse. Twilight, however, had grown accustomed to the warmth of Ponyville, and had forgotten the cold mountain air. A heavy shiver ran through her body. “Ohh wow. It is cold tonight.”

Nightmare glanced over, having barely registered the cold. Seeing her shivering there, she felt a sudden, instinctive need to protect the young unicorn. She wanted little more than to wrap her wing around Twilight and pull her tight against her barrel. A nagging doubt in the back of her mind stopped her. “Come here Twilight.” Her voice was gentle and loving as her horn lit up. Why don’t we take her back to our bedroom? It’s plenty warm in there, the lascivious voice asked.

Twilight looked up expectantly as she scooted closer. “Yes, Princess?”

Nightmare gazed out over the royal gardens, internally at war with herself. The spell faded from her horn as she argued back. I can’t invite her back to my bedroom! She may be sheltered but I doubt that would get past her.

She reads a magazine called ‘Friendship Weekly.’ How much more sheltered can she get?

Regardless, it would be most improper of me to invite her there, regardless of her response.

So invite her there for warmth. You’re room is much better suited to stargazing and talking, is it not?

I-

“Luna?” Twilight hesitantly asked, gently placing a hoof on Nightmare’s side.

With a jolt, Nightmare was brought out of her internal monologue. She turned to face Twilight, fighting to keep her face neutral. Twilight looked up at her, a look of interested wondering on her face. “It has been cold these last few nights. I’m afraid the weather ponies have a storm blowing in soon. Why don’t we move inside?”

Twilight smiled. “That sounds lovely. Where shall we head?” the purple pony asked as she stood.

Nightmare stood next to Twilight, a half smile on her lips. “Unless you have any objections, I was thinking we could adjourn to my chambers.” Please say no. Please say no. Please-

“Ohh, that sounds delightful, princess!” Twilight replied happily, turning back towards the castle. “Princess Celestia and I would spend hours talking in her room when I was younger. Ohh! And I’ve never seen your room before! I admit I’m a little curious as to how you’ve decorated it.”

See, she doesn’t suspect a thing. Nightmare shook her head, forcing out a chuckle. “Come then. There is much in my chambers I think you’ll find interesting.” Once the pair were inside the castle proper, Twilight fell back a little, following the princess. Ohh, and she was nice and warm… Ohh well. I’m sure we’ll get more time with her later. The voice added a very clear purr at the end, making Nightmare’s cheek twitch.

Nightmare, growling softly, stretched out her neck to keep from outwardly snapping. Please. Just be quiet. I want it as much as you, but if we push to fast we won’t get any.


In short order, the pair reached the princesses chambers. The solid black wooden doors stood shut, a pair of guards flanking them. As Nightmare approached, the guards bowed and pushed the doors open for the pair. With a smile, Nightmare stepped aside and allowed Twilight to enter first. Her grin grew as she heard Twilight’s adoring oohs and ahhs before following her in.

Standing in the middle of the room, and slowly spinning, Twilight was taking in the sights all around her. On the walls hung grand tapestries of constellations, many she knew and clearly some which only the princess saw. On the ceiling was carved an intricate mural of the night sky which, to Twilight’s delight, was enchanted to perfectly follow the actual sky. “I should have guessed! Of course you would have everything themed after the night sky and the stars! Why wouldn’t you, you made them!” Twilight laughed in joy and delight as she spun, taking in everything.

There was a desk of mahogany, papers littered across its surface. An indigo seat cushion trimmed in silver sat behind it, with a half dozen more strewn across the room. While the rest of the castle walls had been painted in the bright tones of Celestia’s mane, Luna’s room had been painted in various blues.

Nightmare strode to her seating cushions and sat, giving Twilight time to enjoy. Ohh, you should have invited her to sit on the bed with you. Nightmare barely managed to keep her anger from flaring. “Twilight!” she called out, bringing the unicorn’s attention back to her. “Please, sit with me.”

Grinning broadly, Twilight bounded over to the princess and sat down. “It’s lovely!”

A sheepish grin spread across Nightmare’s lips. “Thank you.” She took a moment to smile happily at the unicorn, just taking her in.

Still looking around, Twilight’s face slowly grew confused. “Where’s your telescope?” she eventually asked. “I figured you’d have a really nice one, or maybe just a simple one. But I don’t see one at all.”

Rolling her eyes, Nightmare strode to the center of the room. “Come here, Twilight.” As Twilight approached, a flash of light blasted from her to the carvings above them. The room around them faded into black and as a whole simply faded around them. The stars shone brilliantly above them, growing brighter as the darkness around them exploded with light as the rest of the stars burst into being around them.

“I really have no need of a telescope,” she said quietly, letting Twilight gaze in amazement. “Celestia worked the base for these enchantments into the room before my return. I’ve refined them since, and added a few of my own.” She exhaled as memories of her old observatory rose to her mind. “I would love to find my old observatory one day, but this will do for now.” With another burst from her horn the room returned to normal.

Collapsing from excitement, Twilight stared up at the princess, eyes wide with wonder. “But that is a tale for another time.” Twilight’s face fell, but only briefly. She followed the princess back to the cushions and settled down, filled with a new appreciation for the princess. Once they were settled, Nightmare returned to their conversation. “I’m sure you have many questions for me, but I hope you can save them. I do promise to get to them at some point, but there were some things I wanted to ask you.” A deep breath escaped Twilight as she deflated a little, but nodded nonetheless. “I enjoyed the letter you wrote this week, about your friends overcoming their differences.”

“It was wonderful, if a little scary at times,” Twilight explained. “The weather team had a little mix up, last week they missed a rainy day, so they made up for it this week with a really strong one.” Though Twilight didn’t go into every last detail, she still spent half an hour recalling her first every slumber party. Nightmare oohed and ahhed in all the right places, and even gave a few tuts under her breath at the antics of Twilight’s friends. “It was great getting to see them put aside their differences and come together in the end though. The night was wonderful, all in all.”

Nightmare had stopped paying explicit attention after a few minutes, having learned from dealing with the nobles in years past. Instead, she found herself drawn to the energy and joy with which Twilight spoke. She watched the way in which Twilight moved as she spoke, listened to the tones and layers in her voice. As she did, a warmth built inside her, one that reached from her core out to the tips of her mane. It took all of her willpower to not just curl up and lay her head in Twilight’s forelegs. I haven’t felt this calm in a long time… she thought, relaxing. I like it.

“Princess?” Twilight asked, giving her a gentle prod with her hoof.

A small noise of surprise escaped Nightmare as Twilight nudged her. She bolted upright before a small blush rose to her cheeks. “My apologies, Twilight. I’m afraid,” Ohh, admit it. She’s gorgeous. The blush on her cheeks darkened and she turned away, looking out past her balcony. “Well, it’s just that you have such a beautiful voice. I got lost in it.”

It was Twilight’s turn to blush. “Ohh, it’s okay.” she muttered.

They sat in silence, staring out past the balcony. Eventually, Nightmare managed to find some words to break the quiet. “If you don’t mind me asking, there is something I’ve been wondering,” Nightmare began, genuine curiosity in her voice. “You told me a few weeks ago that your brother told you the story of the mare in the moon, and that that sparked your interest in the stars.” Twilight nodded. “Well, it’s just…” Nightmare heaved a heavy sigh. “Very few ponies have ever taken such a deep interest in the stars. I guess…” she trailed off, her voice on the verge of cracking. “I guess I just want to hear what they mean to you. Why you love them so much.”

Twilight saw the deep blush on the princesses cheeks, a somewhat confused blush on her own. In a smooth motion she stood and moved towards the balcony. She stood just inside the doors, the moonlight framing her as it cascaded in the giant windows. “I’m not really sure. It’s just…” her voice trailed off as she opened the doors and moved to the balcony. Nightmare followed a few steps behind her. They stood side by side, Twilight staring up at the myriad of stars, Nightmare watching her intently.

“They’re beautiful.” Twilight eventually said, making Nightmare fight back tears. “Every night as a filly I would love to stay up and look up at the stars. My father is an astronomer, and I can’t count the number of times I would watch the stars with him. As far back as I can remember, they’ve always been a part of my life. I honestly thought I’d be an astronomer like him back then.” She sat down, resting her chin on the railing.

“When I became Princess Celestia’s student is when it really changed, I think.” While a small smile crept onto Twilight’s face, Nightmare’s grew puzzled. “The only subject not taught at Celestia’s School for Gifted Students is astronomy. Even as her personal student she refused to teach me anything.”

“Why not?” Nightmare couldn’t help but interject, anger, pain and fear in her voice. “Did she not like my stars, did she-”

“No no no.” Turning to face the princess, Twilight smiled. “I eventually asked her about it. She told me that she wasn’t qualified to teach about them. That if I wanted to know more about the stars, I’d have to do that myself.” A few tears came to Twilight then. “She said that the stars should not be introduced as a subject to be studied, but a love to be found. That the stars are a deeply personal experience, and had to be discovered by myself.”

Her gaze returning to the night sky, Twilight continued, albeit much softer. “So I did. She provided me the tools I asked for, but that was it. I had to discover everything about them myself. That’s why I love them, I think. Everything else I was taught. I read from books or learned from those who had studied themselves. The stars, your art, I discovered for myself. They’re something I can feel a personal connection to. They’re not just another subject, another book. They’re so much more. In a way, I can feel like they’re mine.”

Nightmare felt the tears streaming down her cheeks. She felt joy she hadn’t ever before flooding her chest, filling her with warmth. A hiccough escaped her as she slumped down to the cold stone of the balcony. The tears flowed faster into her forelegs, which now covered her eyes. Twilight heard the soft crying and, panicked, turned to the princess. She dropped to her knees and, before she could begin stammering her apologies, was pulled into a tight hug by Nightmare. “Thank you, Twilight,” she whispered between the tears.

Twilight only wrapped her forelegs around the princess, softly comforting her. “It’s no big deal,” she whispered. “I mean, I guess you should thank Princess Celestia, she’s the one who pushed me to the stars after all.” Nightmare froze as Twilight let out a nervous chuckle.

Memories from ages past echoed in Twilight’s words. She remembered the only pony she had ever loved saying almost the same thing. It was Tia, really. She pushed me to the stars after all. The words floated back to her mind, tinged with pain and sorrow. “What did you say?” she asked shakily, pulling back to look into Twilight’s eyes.

“Uhh, I guess you should thank Princess Celestia? She pushed me to the stars?” Twilight half asked, half answered.

A twitch ran through Nightmare’s cheek. “Did she think I would have forgotten?” she growled to herself. Centuries of anger rose to the surface, churning with a mixture of insult and outrage. Standing up quickly, Twilight fell off her. “Did she think I would let her play at being a goddess again? That I would let her play with fate again?” she growled louder. Memories of the last time Celestia had worked to tip the scales came freely to the surface.


“We are not goddesses, sister!” Luna cried in outrage. “The ponies of Equestria are our subjects, not toys for thine enjoyment.”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Thou were’st happy with him, no?” she shot back. “So what if I nudged him along a bit? What does the how or why matter?”

“The ends never justify the means, sister!” Luna’s voice was tinged with venom. “We struck down Discord to end this very meddling in the lives of ponies!” A look of pure rage filled Celestia at the comparison. “I will not stand by and let you become like him!”

I AM NOTHING LIKE THAT MONSTER!” Celestia roared back, her voice magically amplified. Glowering, Luna made to leave her sister’s chambers. “He did nothing but bring pain while I have brought joy, even to you!”

“You take away their agency in life, Tia.” Luna stood in the doorway, facing away from her sister. “You take away the most fundamental right of living, the right to choose.” Slamming the door, Luna stalked away.

You can’t stand by and let her do this, Luna. Something must be done.


“Princess?” Twilight’s voice cracked with fear. Nightmare had drawn up to her full height, a mystical force whipping up her mane and tail. She stomped a hoof in anger, sending cracks spider webbing out from the impact. “Princess Luna, what’s wrong?” she half cried, backing away.

The sound of Twilight so scared managed to soothe Nightmare’s rage. At least enough for her to regain control of herself. “I’m sorry, Twilight. This is something my dear sister loves to do.” She spat the word out as if it was a disgusting, rotted piece of food.

“Do what?” came Twilight’s nervous reply.

“Play matchmaker.” With a sigh, Nightmare sat down. The wind had died, leaving her mane a slightly tangled mess. Lighting her horn to repair the balcony, she managed to find the right words. “I suppose you are deserving of an explanation.” She had to take a deep breath before she could begin. “I don’t love often, Twilight. There is only one stallion whom I can say I have truly loved before. I’ve had many suitors, many who vied for my hoof. Only one won it.” Another twitch ran through Nightmare’s cheek. “But, unbeknownst to either him or myself, he had been groomed to win my heart, almost from birth, by Celestia.

“Having been sisters for milenia, she knew me better than any. She took him under her wing and, over the course of years, shaped him into the perfect match for me. It worked.” Nightmare let out a dry chuckle. “I loved him dearly. I happily carried our child. I kept my family close for generations.” A deep sigh ran through Nightmare. “It was almost four hundred years later that she told me what she had done. For fifteen years before he met me, she had groomed him. She pushed him to share interests with me. She made him love my night more than any before. He knew just what to say, what gifts to give, what experiences to share with me. He knew when to back off and give me space, when to press close and hold me. He was perfect for me. Just as she made him to be.”

Nightmare turned to Twilight. “He said almost those same words to me. I didn’t recognize it at the time, I just took it as a subtle gift from my sister. ‘It was Tia, really. She pushed me to the stars,’ he said when I asked him where his love of them came from.” Collapsing, Nightmare slid to the hard stone beneath her. “I didn’t love him any less after I learned what Tia had done. Whether she had chosen him to be my love or fate had brought us together didn’t matter. I loved him with all my heart. I was upset at her for what she had done, yes, but I was willing to look past it. She gave me some of the best years of my life.

“What I couldn’t forgive was how she looked back on it. She saw us as nothing more than pawns she had expertly maneuvered into position. We were little more than toys to experiment with to her. I kept a closer eye on her after that. She was doing it everywhere. Delivering gifts to children to seed an interest. Inciting conflict at one point and peace at another, all to drive ponies together. She worked meticulously to bring ponies together at the right time to build the relationships she wanted to see. Sometimes she did it to end family feuds. Other times it was to bring ideas together. But most of the time she did it because she could.

“I was her greatest challenge, I discovered. She decided to build the perfect lover for me. She tried hundreds of times over the years before ‘getting it right,’ as she would say. But that was all it was to her. It wasn’t a gift for me. It wasn’t her trying to bring me joy. It was her way of alleviating the boredom of immortality.” Nightmare looked away from Twilight before continuing. “I admit, when I lost myself and attacked her, my pain over all of this was part of it.”

Twilight took a step back, unable to fully process what she had been told. “What does this have to do with me?” she asked hesitantly, scared of the answer.

Rising back up, Nightmare stormed back into her room, her anger rising again, barely under control, with Twilight hot on her heels. “She is at it again, Twilight. This time, grooming you to be my suitor.” Nightmare’s horn briefly glowed before she blasted her doors open. The guards were unable to get out from next to the doors, such was the ferocity with which Nightmare blasted them. Twilight, unsure of what to do, grabbed them with her magic and lifted their stunned and groaning forms out of the debris before chasing after the princess. “I have no qualm with you, Twilight,” came Nightmare’s cold, true voice, dripping with venom as Twilight caught up to her. “Please do not try to stop me.”

Twilight was unable to find words, and instead just followed silently behind the princess. They wound through the castle, before reaching the tower which housed the solar diarch. “Princess Luna,” Twilight managed to say. “I don’t have any idea how angry you are, I don’t think I can. If what you suspect is true, I would be angry myself. But please, I beg of you, let her sleep. Confront her in the morning.”

Nightmare paused at the end of the hall, opposite the grand white doors which led to her sisters bedchambers. She turned, an eyebrow raised, to look at Twilight. The unicorn stood, shaking with fear, but her eyes pleading. “You do not disagree with my anger?” Twilight shook her head. “You would confront her yourself?” At that, Twilight shrugged, clearly torn between outrage at the princess and her love for her. “So why do you ask I let her sleep of all things?”

Hanging her head, Twilight could only mumble. “I know I hardly have the right to ask this of you, I recognize that the night is your domain, but I beg that you let her sleep. I learned years ago that she doesn’t sleep well. From what I’ve been able to piece together, she almost nightly suffers nightmares. I don’t know why, but the sleep she gets is barely restful at all. She needs all she can get. Please let her sleep. Please confront her in the morning.” Twilight had sat down as she talked, shaking with emotion.

Nightmare couldn’t stop her mouth from hanging agape at Twilight’s explanation. “If she’s suffering nightmares, why didn’t she come to me?” she asked aloud. Wheeling around, she stared at the doors between her and her sister, indignation adding to her fury. “It’s what I do!” she nearly screamed. No. Luna heals nightmares. I make them, the thought came, unbidden, to her mind. I didn’t just corrupt the dreamworld with my anger. I corrupted Celestia’s dreams. I made sure this would happen, that she wouldn’t get a restful night of sleep. Her shoulders slumped, Nightmare grimaced.

I have to fix this. But, after a thousand years of it growing, feeding off her, and a thousand years without practice, will I be able to? Nightmare looked around, hoping to see the answer to her problems. Her eyes landed on Twilight. Twilight could help. She loves Celestia. I can use that strength.

No, I have to respect the privacy of the dreamer. That is the cardinal rule.

Twilight couldn’t understand anything she sees anyways. Celestia can barely understand dreams.

That’s a horrible excuse.

I don’t have any other options.

Is it worth it?

Celestia has suffered long enough. I did this to her. I need to fix this.

“Twilight, come with me. I may need your help.” She set her face with determination and moved towards the doors.

“What?” Twilight replied, full of confusion. She looked up just in time to see the princess gently opening the doors before them. The guards either side stood at attention, allowing the night princess to pass. Jumping up she raced forward, slowing to a gentle trot as she crossed the threshold into Celestia’s room. “What do you need my help with? Please don’t wake her,” she begged, keeping her voice to barely a whisper.

With a shake of her head, Nightmare closed the doors and sat down in the middle of the room. Celestia was curled up, shaking slightly, under her blankets. Nightmare didn’t need to enter the dreamworld to feel her pain; it rolled off Celestia in waves. Patting the ground next to her, she invited Twilight to join her. The unicorn did so hesitantly, baffled by what was going on and the rapidly changing mood of the princess.

“Do you remember the two sources of nightmares?” the alicorn asked softly. Twilight shook her head, apologizing. “It is alright. The more common come from fear or stress in the waking world. But that is not all. I poured much of my hate and pain into the dreamworld and corrupted it. I had forgotten, or maybe made myself forget, but I didn't do it at random. I targeted Celestia.” Looking up at her sister, a few tears dripped from her eyes. “It was cruel. I made sure that Tia would never again have a restful night of sleep.”

Twilight’s eyes went wide. “So why do you need me?” came her halting reply. She would deal with the whys later. If Celestia needed her, nothing else was important.

“I can drag the corruption out of her, but only from the dream itself,” Nightmare explained. “But it has had over a thousand years to fester. A thousand years of fear and pain to feed on. I may need your strength to make it submit so I can free her.”

Twilight nodded, suddenly serious. “Okay. Whatever I can do to help her. What do I do?”

Nightmare took a deep breath. “Whatever happens, whatever you may see, I need you to trust me, okay?”

Nodding faster, Twilight answered “Of course princess.”

“Then close your eyes.” With a nod, Twilight did so, settling onto the cushion she had chosen. A thin strand of white light weaved it’s way from Nightmare’s horn to Celestia’s forehead. Another identical strand then wound its way to Twilight. With a flash from Nightmare’s horn, Twilight collapsed, Celestia calmed, and the princess of the night went still.