• Published 8th Sep 2013
  • 1,086 Views, 58 Comments

Day of the Moon - Next Gen Wonderbolt



Luna goes on a journey of self discovery after finding out from Celestia that she was adopted.

  • ...
0
 58
 1,086

Chapter 3

Luna pushed open the door to reveal...the inside of the house was still intact! Luna was shocked by this because, given how old the house was and the fact that the outside looked like a real piece of crap, it still looked nice! Luna moved about the house, she entered the living room first. The furniture wasn't covered in dust and it didn't have plastic wrap on it, odd because if this place has been sitting here as long as it did there should have been dust. Luna took in her surroundings, the couch was placed on the far left wall, and the love seat was placed next to it on the north wall. The fireplace was in the middle, blocks of wood still sitting there. There was a table stand with something on it, Luna walked over and discovered it was a photo.

The photo was of 2 ponies in front of the house. One was a Dark red unicorn with a pink mane and a quill as her cutie mark, standing next to her was a blue pegasus with a white mane and his cutie mark was of a thundercloud. The two looked very happy with their home. Luna turned the picture over looking for a date of some kind, but to no avail found it. Luna started towards the kitchen when she heard the floorboards squeak behind her. She turned her head around to see a tail disappear around the corner. Luna didn't dash after it, trying not to scare whatever it was that was hiding. She walked over to where the tail had gone and found it again rounding another corner down the hall into a room. Luna turned down the hall and reached the door and the room it was locked up in. She heard the tumblers of the lock switch into place, keeping her from opening the door.

Then a voice sounded from the door, it's soft plea was overlooked.

"Please, leave me alone!"

Luna could make out that it was a pony and that it was a filly. Luna used her magic to unlock the door and open it quietly, revealing a unicorn that was the same shade of blue as she was. She had a violet mane and was cowering on the bed in fear. Luna walked over to the filly and placed a gentle hoof on her back.

"It's ok little one, I will do you no harm."

The young unicorn looked up with tears in her eyes and held her gaze at Luna's. The sincerity in her eyes, calmed the filly and she unfurled. Luna was more than astonished at her condition. She was severely malnourished, her rib cage showing through her skin. Luna didn't have much to eat, she only had a bundle of apples. The apples were snacks, just in case she needed the energy. Well obviously this youngling need them more than she did! Luna reached into her saddlebag and pulled out an apple, tossing it towards the filly. She caught it with her horn, struggling to levitate the apple to her hooves.

Luna felt pity towards the filly. She was curious to however where her parents were.

"So...where are your parents?" The unicorn cringed, and looked at her half eaten apple before responding.

"They're...dead." Luna was shocked, she gave the filly a sincere apology before continuing.

"Well can I at least know your name?"

"I, uh don't have one, or at least I don't know it."

Luna was again shocked by this. But the more she thought about it the more this filly was like her! She didn't have a family, only Luna was lucky that she was found by Celestia, but the concept still remains. Luna couldn't let this filly go without a family, she didn't want the filly to go through what she did.

"You said you don't have any family?" The unicorn nodded again, and Luna smiled which gave way to a questioning glance from the filly.

"Well, do you know who I am?" This time the filly nodded quickly.

"Yeah! You're Princess Luna!" Luna smiled the the filly's excitement.

"Well then, how would you like to be apart of my family? I could adopt you once we get back to Canterlot."

The unicorn went wide-eyed for a moment. She just couldn't believe it! Luna, of the royal sisters, wanted to adopt her! She finally had a family, and she wouldn't want any other pony to be her mother. She jumped forward at Luna, embracing her and hugging her around the neck.

"Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Thank you so much princess! Just, THANK YOU!"

Luna giggled at the unicorn's enthusiasm, she felt a warm feeling in her heart. She was happy that now the filly had a family of her own. But there was still a question left unsaid. Where were Luna's parents?


The duo left the house, a symbol of many things, but for them? Family. The two walked outside to meet a phoenix flying around in the tree. She was chasing a squirrel when she noticed the two ponies exiting the house. She flew over and landed on the filly, cawing at her in a friendly way. The unicorn laughed at Philomena, the amusement making Luna smile. But something came to mind right at that moment, what is she going to call her?! She said she didn't know her name so, what can I call her? Luna looked over towards the filly.

"Now then, what should your name be?" The filly stopped her giggling and looked at Luna very puzzled, then looked at the ground.

"I-I don't know, could...could you maybe, think of a name for me? Since now your my mom..."

"Yes, of course." Luna pondered for a moment, she gazed at the filly again, she had the exact same color coat as her, but had a violet mane, and was a blank flank. She was like a mini her! Then it hit her.

"How about Crescent? Since you resemble me so well." Crescent looked at her for a moment, testing out the name in her mind. She liked it! It suited her well, since a crescent moon is almost a full moon, and Luna is like a full moon right? Crescent it was!

The young filly now known as Crescent hugged Luna tightly again, the alicorn returning the hug. She looked down when she felt wet spots on her fur to see tears in Crescent's eyes, but they weren't tears of sadness. No they were tears of joy, she had everything she could have ever wanted, a family, a home, a mother, even a name for god's sake! She could not have been happier, and as the two were sharing a moment something shimmered in the trash can near the sidewalk. It caught Luna's eye as she broke from the embrace, scooping up Crescent and putting her on her back, the filly looking at where Luna was looking. The same object spiking their curiosity, and drawing them both near.

As they got closer, it was an envelope, with a pin going through it.Luna picked it up holding so that both her and her daughter could see, She opened it to reveal a piece of paper. It was a divorce paper, that had the custody of one child on there. Luna's name was in bold print, the other names smudged. Frustration rising, Luna threw the paper on the ground, exchanging it for the envelope. She scanned the front, looking for the return address. The writing was ineligible and the pair could only make out one word, Canterlot.

"Mommy, what are we going to do now?"

Luna looked up at the filly who now had her hooves on Luna's head and was looking down at her. Luna sighed heavily, of course she would have to go back to Canterlot! Of course, except this time, she would not be coming back alone. Luna looked up at Crescent, who was still looking at her and turned back towards the house, Philomena landing on her back and cawing. Luna gave another sigh and prepared for the journey back to Canterlot. She looked at Crescent and answered her quesiton.

"We are going to Canterlot."


The trio made their way back to the theater where it had begun, Crescent had never seen the inner city before, and was amazed at how marvelous it looked. She was dumbstruck by how high the buildings were. They reached the train station in no time and followed suit with the procedure of getting tickets. Luna walked up to the ticket booth and placed her order.

"Two tickets for Canterlot please."

The pony running the booth responded politely and gave Luna her tickets, Luna thanked her and walked back to where Crescent and Philomena were. The two were chasing each other and when they saw Luna coming back immediately sat back down on the bench. Philomena was feeling mischievous, and tickled Crescent's nose, making her suppress a giggle. Luna walked up and smiled, it was adorable seeing the two play like that. Heartwarming to say the least, and Luna was glad that she had adopted the filly. Well not officially but the concept still stands.

Luna gave Crescent her ticket and the two got to know each other, Luna told Crescent about how she was adopted by Celestia as well and was currently on a journey to discover her heritage. Crescent was amazed, her mother the adventurer. Luna had also told her about Ponyville and how nice the ponies there were. Luna never really thought about it, but after this was all over, she might move to Ponyville The atmosphere was nice and was good for a little one like Crescent to grow up in. Plus, the Cutie Mark Crusaders could add another member to their growing group.

"Crescent, if you don't mind me asking, what were you doing in that house?"

"Well, I was living there of course!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! I would sleep during the day and would go out at night and grab food from the stands in the market. Sometimes I even go out to the park to play! Although, it is only at night because I'm scared of what the other foals might do if they see me..."

She trailed off ,eyes downcast and she remained that way until she was enveloped in a hug from her mother. Luna was tearing up, she just wanted to let Crescent know that no matter what, she would be there for her. Crescent seemed to get the message as she hugged back and murmured 4 words that meant the world to Luna.

"I love you mommy."

"I love you too, Crescent."

The two stayed like that until they heard the train arrive at the station. The sun was already descending over the horizon, nightfall approaching quickly. Luna and Crescent boarded the train, Philomena not far behind, handing the conductor their tickets, took their seats and awaited the train's departure. Crescent sat next to Luna, giving an adorable little yawn, resting her head against her mother's side. The alicorn smiled and wrapped a wing around her daughter, pulling her in tight. Crescent smiled at Luna and gave another yawn before drifting off to sleep. Luna smiled warmly, the sight bringing her to tears again, joyful tears.

Was this what Tia felt like when she was raising me?

Luna assumed so, as she continued to gaze at her daughter. Their new lives had begun, but questions were still left unanswered. Luna assured her self that the truth would be revealed, once they got to their next destination. The place where it had all began. Canterlot!

Author's Note:

Surprise Surprise! Yep, Luna's now a mother. Now yes her name is Crescent because I thought it was perfect for her, and it would resemble Luna and Celestia. No give or take, the next chapters might be that last. I might end it at 5 chapters, and start an epilogue as well. Enjoy the story! Comment what you like or don't like, and don't hate too much! ;)