• Published 7th Sep 2013
  • 318 Views, 1 Comments

Fallen Angels - drwhooves32



fast planes, impending war, and a cliché ending just like a lot of war stories

  • ...
 1
 318

the background to make sense

Have you seen them the Blazing Angels, the greatest air squadron in Equestria?
Do you understand what they have gone through? Do they?

This is the story of what happens when an angel falls, while his kin watch with sorrow and pain, what could’ve lead to this?

Sometimes I think back to that day, back in Cherilee’s class when that pegasus came, the leader of the Angels, Spark Fire. Normally we were a peaceful nation, but due to increased tensions with the griffon and dragon empires we were forced into an immense overhaul of our relatively pathetic military. We may have the greatest magic systems on the planet, the elements of harmony, a commander thats primary magic spells are impenetrable shields, as well as the three, err… four Alicorns?

We needed a major offensive against the dragons, they don’t fly special planes or anything, they just fly up and incinerate all opposition. The griffons on the other hoof currently had the fastest planes and airships without sacrificing fire power, something we could work against, but not to the effect that the military wanted. We had very limited flight power with something close to 36 MK.II fire-kites a very limited and slow plane with a single .50 caliber machine gun that jammed more often than it shot.

My name is Guardian Angel and this is my story.

* * * * * *

Three months ago

“Gotta get these papers to mom, for some sort of field trip to Canterlot.” I thought to myself as I was skulking towards home. “Probably more military themed trips like we had last month... And well, basically all this year.” I had hoped it would be different, with less boring museums and a little more displays of the current era. “Probably not I thought but a colt can dream.”


“Hey Guardian, pay attention or you will be left behind.” Dinky called to me. I guess I should be paying attention, but this is so boring with all this old museum junk. Just like I had thought three days ago, this field trip was filled with boring museum viewings. “Now class, we have a special opportunity today!” Oh great, more parades. As we concluded our visit to the museum, Ms Cherilee said: “We get to see what Mr.Fire was explaining when he came for his visit a few days ago”. As we meandered through the streets of Canterlot towards the main plaza, we realized that it was a lot cooler than it had been when we had entered the museum. Looking up, we saw a vast cloud system moving in over the city. Always the first to voice a complaint, Diamond Tiara wondered what was happening and decided that it was in her power to call all pegasus on the weather team in Canterlot lazy, uncaring dolts who had too much hot air under their wings and not enough sense to keep the skies over the capital clear, only to be shot down as the largest noise any of us have ever heard split the sky, there where the clouds had been was the largest airship any of us had ever seen. It was easily the most imposing structure on this side of the dragons valley. Its name was emblazoned across its hull and balloon: “EAFRSFS LUNA” (Equestrian Air Force of the Royal Sisters Flag Ship) it was easily the size of a small city. Out from behind the LUNA came a smaller but still imposing airship that nopony knew anything about only that it was marked by an A with angel wings. While we looked in awe at this amazing spectacle taking place the smaller airships hull doors opened releasing about 50 planes each was identical to one another except for the last it was bright red with silver wings, it was breathtaking.

These new pilots were insane the way they dipped and corkscrewed through the skies, took away the breath of the class a few times when we thought they were about to crash into a building only to pull up at the last second.

After one hour of this the lead plane came and landed in the courtyard and out jumped a familiar pegasus, Spark Fire. He walked coolly over to Cherilee and simply asked what she thought when she replied with a positive word and tone he seemed to get a little serious and whispered something to her which she took with a gasp and a step back only nodding her head, “How many of you would like to go up in the new Pegasus MK.III?” Spark Fire asked the assembled class. Us go up, in those?... Buck yeah. I guess those permission slips made sense now when asking if we were afraid of heights and speeds that could possibly breaking the sound barrier. “Well?” came the question from Spark Fire. “YES SIR!” We all shouted in unison with as much zeal as a foal who had gotten their Cutie Mark. As he went through the class list we realized that the rest of the planes were landing in the courtyard. Upon inspection we realized that each plane was marked by a number all the way up to 49 making the one behind Spark Fire the 50th plane in the squadron, and coincidentally there was 49 of us and Miss Cherilee making... 50. They had planned this from the start, those sly devils. After going through the list multiple times and making sure everything was in order he started calling out names;
“Applebloom you're in plane 1,
Scootaloo plane 2,
Sweetie Belle I want you in plane 27…”
The list went on like this for sometime until I realized that I was the only one besides Miss Cherilee that was left she was looking around, and realized that there were two planes on the ground. 49 and 50. Suddenly Spark Fire called me over. “I want you, Miss Cherilee, to go up in 49. I'll take him with me up in 50.”

While I was in the air daydreaming, I almost missed the beginning of the conversation that Sparkie - what he told me to call him - was trying to have with me. “So what are your plans for your future after school?” He asked me. “ Nothing really, probably just work in construction just like my dad.” “Why not join us? We are looking for new recruits for the Angel program and we are specifically looking in the area of PonyVille.” “Sorry sir, but I won’t do that. I can’t put my mother and father through that stress. Not now at least.”


Nothing matched what we had seen before lunch for the rest of the day, not even meeting the princesses (though that was a close second). Turns out that the group name or squadron as we were taught was the blazing angels the fastest most dangerous squadron in the air force flying the brand new pegasus MK.III a lightweight heavy armament interceptor around as if they were toys.


* * * * * *

Author's Note:

this is my first time doing anything of this sort and i hope i get a chance for others to read and enjoy this

please feed back will be much appreciated both good and bad

thank you