• Published 7th Sep 2013
  • 750 Views, 13 Comments

Manehattan Zombie Outbreak - FxBlackJackx



Angelwhiskers rescued in the nightime chaos, is faced with an old mare's tale. She must obey and adapt to the new rules if she wishes to survive.

  • ...
2
 13
 750

School Pains

"Well howdy miss Seed!" Sapphire said delighted to be with the young filly.

"Uh hey. Can you explain why you're here?" Babs said nervously.

Babs was quite nervous to speak with Sapphire, after all her life drastically changed in a matter of moments a few days ago.

"Mah friend and ah are going to help you and Washboard. You're gunna be escorted to our safe house down the road." Sapphire said with a smile.

"Oh alright, so uhm.. What happened? Why did everypony go insane?" Babs said. "And when are we leaving?"

"I dunno, something about a sickness, just stay away from everypony you don't recognize. We should be leavin' quite soon, just waitin' on Angel and Washboard to finish their conversation and we can get to it." Sapphire spoke with a calming and reassuring voice.

"Alright." Babs said.

"So hey, why are you the only filly in the school?" Sapphire said with realization.

"I uh was here for tutoring. Mrs Clearwater was helping me. As I was leaving I saw somepony in the courtyard and he didn't look to good. He was one of our teachers but he didn't sound the same, so I hurried back in here and bumped into the janitor. He made me say here in the cafeteria, I didn't protest because what he said sounded urgent. Washboard and I were going to stay here till things blew over."

"Oh my goodness, ah'm sorry lil filly." Sapphire gasped.

"Eh, he's been taking care of me, but I don't know what my parents are doing and why nopony showed up for school today, it's monday." Babs said worriedly.

That poor filly, what happened to her parents? I hope they're fine, for her sake. Sapphire thought, she refused to think of the worst.


Angel and Washboard remained near the door of the cafeteria to speak to each other privately.

"So you've protected Babs all this time?" Angel asked the olive earth pony.

"Yes, I found her on the night of the outbreak and kept her with me since then."

"And you've killed zombies previously?" Angel asked even further.

"Yes. A few actually. After I lead the filly to safety, I went through the entire school to make sure it was safe." Washboard replied.

"Killing doesn't bother you?" Angel said surprised.

"I didn't say that, but I used to be in the Manehatten police department! I'm not a stranger to a rough fight." Washboard replied.

"I see, well thank you for sharing your story. We'll make sure you and the filly make it back to the apartment safely. Angel replied.
"Oh, let me call Golden, he's kinda the pony in charge of things around here.

"Oh, go ahead." Washboard said.

After a moment of fumbling with the walki-talki, she heard the static cease and then she spoke into it.

"Golden? Golden, are you there?" Angel spoke into her walki-talki.

A moment after she heard a reply over the frequency. "Yeah, I'm here, anything new?"

"Hey Golden, we couldn't find any medicine in the clinic but we met two other ponies taking refuge in the school." She told him with a smile.

"Oh great, hurry back and we'll have dinner with them." Golden said happily as he hung up.

"Ok, now that is out of the way, are you ready to go?" Angel said with a happy smile.

"Yes, yes, let's please." Washboard said returning the grin.

Angel came trotting down the isle and beckoned over to the group.
"Are you girls ready or what? I called Golden Sentry and informed him on who we've found and he seemed excited."

"Yeah, sure Angel. Be there in a sec." Sapphire replied to her question.

Sapphire and Babs got to their hooves. Babs nearly toppled over and fell against a chair for support.
Letting out a small cry and wince, she then held her head in her hoof.

"It hurts.." Babs said with her eyes squeezed together. She rubbed her forehead in pain.

"Oh my-" Sapphire gasped and ran around the rectangular table to meet the filly. She sat Babs down on the closet chair and examined her once more.
Gingerly, Sapphire brushed away the crimson mane to see the problem. Babes had an apple-sized bruise above her right eyebrow. It was a disgusting blue color that contrasted her brownish-orange coat.
"This ain't lookin' too purty." Sapphire said with a frown. "Come on, hop on." She said and squatted down to let her belly touch the ground.
Babs opened her eyes and winced. She slowly stepped onto the mare, she felt blood soaked into her hooves.

"Ew." Babs said disgusted and looked at her right hoof to inspect the grotesque liquid. She slowly lowered herself onto Sapphires back until she was lying on her belly. It seemed as if she entered a chilled pool.

Sapphire extended her knees and slowly walked between the tables while Babs got a sense of balance.

They joined the two earth ponies momentarily and with a nod of readiness, Washboard escorted them out of the room. They were back in hallway 01 and Washboard said they were going back to the back doors to exit. They casually walked down the elementary school hallway. Washboard knew the school almost instinctively and led them down each corridor.

"Ok girls, the auditorium is just another turn." Washboard said pointing his muzzle in the direction.

As he reached the corner and banked the turn he froze.
Standing in between the group of survivors and the auditorium was a group, no herd of drooling zombies, about thirty feet away. It felt like time had slowed down and every zombie turned its head in there direction. Washboard gasped and each pony's eyes dilated four times their original size.

"GO GO GO THAT WAY!" He shouted panicking, turning directions.

Each pony reared themselves around and galloped down the hall in which they came from. Zombies poured out from the hallway turn behind them, running after their delectable treats.

Babs was breathing rapidly in short amounts. She was hyperventilating, nearly strangling Sapphire as they sprinted down the corridor. She shut her eyes and buried her muzzle into Sapphire's neck helplessly.
It was more than a herd of a hundred zombies chasing them, each one letting out a low pitched moan and that made Babs's condition much worse.
Angel was in the lead of the group with Sapphire and Babs close behind. Washboard wasn't too far behind either.
Angel exploded around a corner of the hallway and began to gallop down the next low-lit corridor.
She passed door after door and quickly came to a set of double doors at the end. Ramming into the door, she pushed on it waiting for it to open and her heart skipped a beat when she realized it was locked.

"I've got the keys, give me a second." Washboard hollered down to Angel. He skidded to a halt besides the two mares and pulled out his key ring. There were hundreds of keys as he fumbled through them. The sound of death was nearing the center of the hallway. Washboard struggled with the keys and stuck one into the lock, he twisted the stationary key and cursed. He yanked it out and examined his key ring once more.

"Come on, come on." Angel rushed the stallion. She was beginning to see the faces of the zombies rushing down the hall toward them at a frightening pace.
Washboard's second attempt was much more successful and he pushed on the door. The four ponies threw the door open and were greeted by sunlight. They were in the courtyard, and the front doors were a taunting one hundred yards away.
Before the hallway doors fully closed it was pushed open by the leading zombie. His body halted the door from closing and he struggled through it. Succeeding, the zombified stallion opened the door and ran into the courtyard directly at the fleeing survivors. The door was caught by the second leading pony, and the next and the next as they piled over each other to get through the confined entry. Washboard opened the front doors of the school and held it open for the two mares and filly to squeeze through. After Sapphire and Babs made it through, Washboard threw himself into the door in an attempt to close it. He felt the resistance of the zombified stallion and he knew he needed to shut it soon or he'd have to fight the rest of the horde as well, which would inevitable be a failure.
Angelwhiskers turned around to see Washboard struggling. She bit her lip and rushed over to rescue him. She slammed into the door knocking the zombie back and the door clicked to a close.

She huffed and took a deep breath. "Come on Washboard, let's hurry up."

Washboard nodded and followed the white mare into the zombiless front entrance. There were a few carriages and wagons dotting around the parking lot but not a zombie in sight.
Babs was nearly covered in the blood that rested on Sapphire. Her coat soaked up a lot blood from of Sapphire's damp coat and mane. She had a roaring headache and felt exhausted, yet she was thankful to have a strong pony carry her.

"Angel, How are we getting home?" Sapphire asked.

Home.. That's where Angel wanted to be right now more than ever. Tucked away from the creatures and problems of society, she felt exhausted and worn out but as a leader, she knew she couldn't show it.

"Uh, aren't there back streets along Pegasi road? Angel asked.

"Yeah but the closest entrance is half a block away." Sapphire frowned.

"It's worth a try." Angel said.
She repeated those words over in her head.

She lead the group across the parking lot and into the main streets, there wasn't any zombies in the streets.
They must have followed us into the school. Angelwhiskers thought to herself.
She crossed the street and stepped up onto the sidewalk and proceeded south towards the apartment. She came into the alley way in which Sapphire had discussed and led them down the trail.
It was a regular alley, nothing too exciting. After a short trek Washboard took the lead. He was familiar with the town and where Hoofen street was, so he had no problem guiding.

He calmly walked down the alley and the next moment, he was shocked at what he faced. Just around the turn, four zombified ponies were standing there, almost waiting for him to be ambushed. The zombies knocked the helpless olive stallion over and a zombie bit into his neck, piercing any kind of protection.
Washboard yelled in surprise and agony, maroon liquid seeped from his uniforms grey collar.
Angelwhiskers pupils grew with surprise and confusion, she couldn't move, she was paralyzed at the sight. Sapphire was wide-mouthed with terror and astonishment, somehow Babs was in an unconscious state, she must have been exhausted previously. Washboard's head turned to the survivors and his eyes looked towards Angel. He whispered something to her, his mouth taking the form of "Help". Then the olive pony stopped struggling and the four zombies towered over him, ripping at his uniform and his coat. It was the worst thing either of the mares have witnessed.
The mares just stood there, horrified at the sight.

"Bastards.." Angel whispered to herself.
She reached into her saddlebag and pulled out a black solid object.
It was her nine millimeter pistol and she held it in her mouth. There was a blazing hatred in her eyes, a wild fire dancing in her eyes.

"BASTARDS!" Angel screamed ferociously as she pulled on the trigger as much as her mouth would let her. Each bullet left an ear splitting crack and a blood squirting hole in one of the zombies. Even though the four zombies were dead and littered with bullets, she continued to fire the rest of her clip until it clicked a few times without a response.

That's it. She witnessed her friend wretched from her again in just mere moments. First Mint leaf, then Safehaven, and now Washboard.

And that is the reality of danger.

Author's Note:

Sorry for being so late, all of my collage classes are challenging so I usually have a short amount of time to spare.
Also I want to advocate reading iMan203's books.