• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 1,005 Views, 3 Comments

Discord, Mania And Charlie Mare - plotdotgif



A young boy in a troubled family is taken out of his universe and plunged into Equestria. Fun ensues

  • ...
 3
 1,005

CH 1

It sucked to be Charlie Mare; constantly teased at school because of his straight bright orange hair and pale complexion, pestered by his big sister, constantly overlooked and never got a break. He lived on a farm out in the country and lived in a house next to the horse pen. The only friend he had in the whole world was his horse, Run Run, but not for long.
“Mummy, where’s Run Run?” he asked as he came home from school
“How was your day sweetie?” his mother asked.
“The Bully Brothers taped me inside a bin again.” He said “Where’s Run Run?”
“That’s nice dear. Could you put out the good knives and forks tonight dear? We have guests coming over.”
“You’re not even listening to me are you?” He raised his voice a little “Where’s Run Run?”
“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about dear.” She said as she knelt down “You see, money is tight these days and we need money to put food in our bellies and the last batch of eggs we had went rotten in the cartons because our electricity ran out so the cooler got turned off. So I had to sell Run Run to get some food. Don’t worry, you can ride Nightmare instead.”
“WHAT?! That’s Mean’s horse! And the last time I got too close, it bucked me in the teeth! She doesn’t even ride it anyway!”
“It’s Megan dear. And don’t worry, that was a long time ago.”
“It was a week ago!”
“I’m so glad you understand dearie.” She said turning back to her cooking pot “oh, and we’re having bean stew tonight.”
“Oh joy of joys.” Sighed Charlie, “I’ll be in my room if you don’t need me.”
So Charlie went up to his room. He fell face first into his pillow covered himself in his blanket. He should have expected this. Run Run was the only thing that made living worthwhile and now he was gone. So much for a happy birthday.

That’s when he noticed it; a small yellow envelope, quite possibly one of the smallest in the world, sitting on his bedside table. He was a little suspicious at first, it could have been a trick letter sent by The Bully Brothers. They sent a Christmas card covered in itching powder once, why wouldn’t they do something else? Charlie carefully opened the letter with a butter knife from a plate on the bedside table and seeing no tricks or traps of any kind, put his hand in the envelope and took out the card. It read:

Hi! I hear you’re having a few problems out in your world. I think I can help. Come to the Big Old Apple Tree nearby and bring the key in the envelope with you.
Sincerely, T.S

Ok, this definitely wasn’t a fake letter from the Bully Brothers OR Mega Mean Megan. The handwriting was way too good. Charlie turned over the envelope and sure enough, a small gold key fell out of the envelope. It was something unlike he had ever seen. The teeth of the key were so intricate; it looked like a music box. There wddas a rainbow on the handle. This was either real or a really well planned prank. But Charlie couldn’t pass up an opportunity like this. He grabbed a torch, his coat, the key and letter and strode to the door. Only to be blocked by Mega Mean Megan.
“Where are you going twerp?” she sneered
“Back off sis. I’m just going for a walk.” Charlie said
“At 7 o’clock at night? Gimme that torch!”
“Mum! Megan’s trying to take my stuff again!”
“Stop fighting kids!” Charlie’s mother yelled from the kitchen
Charlie yanked the torch from Megan’s grip and ran down the corridor. He ran through the kitchen to the door.
“I’m just going for a walk Mum!” Charlie yelled as he dashed out the door
“Don’t run in the kitchen!” She yelled back as Charlie plunged into the night.

Charlie flicked on his torch and jumped over the fence. He jumped over fallen logs and ducked under branches until he made it to a small clearing. In that clearing was the biggest apple tree he’d ever seen. Though the tree had clearly died a long time ago, it must have been huge in its time. Charlie could just imagine the shiny, crisp apples that must have grown on it. Now, the branches were bare of fruit and leaves, and the wood was as grey as steel. Suddenly, something moved behind the tree! Charlie moved his torch to a nearby shrub to see who, or what, it was. Out stepped something Charlie never thought he would see.
A unicorn! It was small enough to be a pony. It had a straightened purple mane and its coat was a delicate lavender, and it had a strange mark on its flank, but he couldn’t make it out in the gloom. It trotted over to Charlie and put its hoof out in front of it. Charlie hesitated for a moment, and then took the hoof in his hand. The unicorn pony led him over to the wizened old apple tree and tapped its horn on the trunk. A knobbed part of the tree slid away to reveal a keyhole. Charlie remembered the key in his pocket and took it out. He looked over to the pony and it nodded its head. Charlie took a deep breath as he put the key into the lock and turned it. With a great groaning sound, part of the tree swung out revealing a secret doorway. The unicorn took Charlie’s hand and jumped down the hole.
The drop wasn’t as long as Charlie had expected, but it still gave him a jolt as he came down like a ton of bricks. In front of him was a dimly lit tunnel constructed of tree roots that ran deeper than the foundations of a skyscraper.
“Hey! Wait for me!” He cried as he ran after the pony. Invisible things brushed against his face, but he didn’t want to be left alone in the darkness. Eventually, he rounded a corner and a great sight beheld him.

The portal was beautiful to behold. The frame was made of ebony and encrusted with every kind of precious stone, and for some reason some odd things as well. But somehow, it all fit together perfectly! Diamonds, emeralds, sapphires and rubies meshed together seamlessly with dirty socks, snail shells, apples and, somehow, clouds. The portal itself was amazing; a shimmering curtain of all possible and impossible colours that wafted in the non-existent breeze. The odd uni-pony was standing next to the portal. Then, to Charlie Mare’s amazement, it opened up its mouth and said “Hi! I’m Twilight Sparkle!”
“So I see you got my letter! Great! Follow me, I’ll explain when we get there!” shouted Twilight Sparkle as she dived into the portal
“Wait, go where?” Charlie shouted, but Twilight had already jumped through the portal. Charlie didn’t want to go in. It was too confusing, too weird and just plain strange. Charlie turned around to walk away from the portal but something barred his way. A huge furry hand shoved him through the portal with an evil chuckle.
As Charlie fell through the portal, he felt a tingling in his arms and legs. This tingling spread to his chest and through his face. Then things started to move. Things that shouldn’t move moved and things that shouldn’t be growing grew. His skin turned to a pale creamy coat and his hair grew into a wild orange mane. Then he hit the ground and went out like a light.