• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 1,429 Views, 30 Comments

The Trials - Zee



A bat pony traverses a cave network called "The Trials," hoping to become part of Luna's elite.

  • ...
0
 30
 1,429

Ch 23: Apart

The dust settled, and the three bat ponies had a little coughing fit.

Slowly, Mosina pulled herself up off of the stony floor, shaking her head. To her left, Gloomie was sprawled over Night Watch's back, who was lying on the floor.

"Ah... is everyone alright...? Mosina asked, coughing once.

"Guh... I think I'm okay..." Gloomie groaned, rolling off of Night Watch, belly side up.

"Mnn..." Night Watch muttered.

Mosina took several steps back until she noticed some of the group, missing. "Oh, no... Speck, Echo..."

"Wha—"

Gloomie was interrupted as Night Watch suddenly stood up. "N-uh?! What happened?!"

"We were split... oh, dear," Mosina droned.

"Th-they're not here?" Night Watch took a look around before turning to the rocky wall that impeded their way back.

"I... I think I saw them running towards the other entrance in the room," Gloomie suggested, hopping up.

Mosina's eyes glinted. "You did? Are you sure?"

"I think so... I remember seeing a purple flash come from their direction, after Speck used her shield on something," Gloomie answered.

"Oh, thank Luna..." Mosina let out a deep, relieved sigh. "They must have made it out in time."

Night Watch walked up to the imposing stone, resting a hoof onto its surface. "I hope so." She gave a little push. "I don't think there's any hope of going through this."

"Feh... I hate things like this," Mosina spat, feeling exasperated. "We can only hope their path will meet with ours, some way." She cast a glance to the dark tunnel awaiting them, her light crystal and Night Watch's only illuminating so far.

"Well, hey, maybe this was meant to happen," Gloomie insisted. "I mean, why would Princess Luna make a ceiling that could crumble so easily?"

Mosina furrowed her brows in thought. "That kind of makes sense... but at the same time, it seems most of our encounters were by chance, and we barely overcame them." The thought of Speck saving them in the nick of time, and them saving Gloomie, flashed in her head.

"They'll live. They're hard nuts to crack," Gloomie reassured.

Night Watch snickered before receiving a light punch from her. "Nah... you're right. Speck is pretty much indestructable."

"Hey... do you guys hear that?" Mosina piped up, her ears perked. The other two fell silent, perking up their ears, too.

"Sounds like... water?" Night Watch suggested. Gloomie gave a slight nod, hearing it too.

"I suppose we'll have to find out, yeah?" Mosina said, beckoning the others forward while beginning to trot.

"Nothing to do but move on, I guess," Gloomie agreed, following. Night Watch shrugged, falling in behind her.

"Damn... this probably means my map is useless, now," Mosina muttered.

Gloomie rolled her eyes. "You never know—we might end up backwards, somehow."

Silence fell upon them, saved for their footsteps, the water dropping from the ceiling, and the distant sound of running water. The further they went, Mosina took note of the increasing concentration of stalactites and stalagmites that surrounded them. Puddles frequented the ground until they all merged together to leave a single thin layer of water over the floor.

After rounding a short corner, a distant blue light seemed to glow far in the tunnel. It was faint, but it seemed to be another room.

"Hey, guys, let's pick up the pace... I think there's something up ahead," Mosina said, quickening her trot. Gloomie and Night Watch exchanged shrugs, following the turquoise ponytail.

Several seconds of jogging later, the group crested the dim blue light into the opening. They came to a fairly wide and long hallway, a large, underground river flowing alongside their path. What kept their gazes fixed upwards, however, was what seemed like the night sky before them.

Dotting the rocky ceiling were hundreds of tiny, glowing orbs that resembled stars. Their blue light reflected off of the river and wet stone beneath the ponies, bathing the entire room in a blue hue. Mosina felt like she were put into a trance.

"Are those... glow worms?" Gloomie whispered from the side.

"That's... really pretty," Mosina crooned. "Yeah... I think they are."

"Hey, guys, look," Night Watch said, cutting them off from their stupor. She pointed down the wide cave at what seemed like a stone structure in the distance.

An orange light fed out from what looked like the open door of a small, stone shack.