• Published 5th Sep 2013
  • 1,429 Views, 30 Comments

The Trials - Zee



A bat pony traverses a cave network called "The Trials," hoping to become part of Luna's elite.

  • ...
0
 30
 1,429

Ch 18: Specksplosion

As Echo and Night Watch touched down on the rocky shore, Speck ran up to them with a concerned gaze.

"Is she okay?" she asked while Night Watch let the bat pony in her hooves down onto the floor.

"She fought hard, but she seems fine," Night Watch responded.

"Th-thanks..." the bat pony whispered, her eyes half open. A lock of her white mane covered her eyes, which was brushed away by a hoof from Echo.

"You're torn up..." Echo said, dropping down and turned to go through her saddlebags.

The black leather armour on the bat pony had plenty of cuts and scratches, many of them open to show the cuts on her skin underneath. Thankfully, none of them were lethal, but the bat pony seemed out of it nonetheless.

"Here, drink this," Echo said, pulling out a half-empty healing flask.

The bat pony's yellow eyes widened at the sight and leaned upwards, drinking the red liquid in big gulps. She took the flask between her hooves as she drank, her worn, iron hoof-blades clinking against the glass.

"It looks like the... things, are retreating," Night Watch stated from the side, gazing at the lake.

Several of the bipedal creatures wearily dipped back down under the water's surface, seemingly afraid of coming out again.

"I wouldn't blame them," Mosina said grimly, coming up from behind.

Night Watch laughed. "Show off."

"We shouldn't linger. They could come back." Mosina walked over to the others, kneeling down. "Hey, Gloomie, are you alright?"

After finishing the rest of the healing potion, Gloomie wiped her mouth with a hoof and peered over to Mosina. Her brown wings unfurled, excited.

"M-Mosina! Oh... I'm so glad you guys came. I-I thought I was done for..." she quivered.

"It's alright, you're safe now," Speck said gleefully. "Can you walk?"

Hesitating, Gloomie pressed one of her hooves down on the ground, quickly pushing herself up. "Yeah... yeah. I feel much better." She shifted around in her spot a bit, examining the cuts in her armour and the healed cuts on her hide. "All of my cuts are gone... whew."

"Hey, Gloomie! I know how much you like hoof-blades," Speck exclaimed, suddenly diving into her saddlebags to pull out a golden object. "We saved these for you. We hoped to find you as soon as possible!"

Gloomie's eyes widened, seeing the shiny golden hoof-blades being offered to her. She gasped, immediately throwing off her broken iron ones and grabbing at the new weapons, examining them closely.

"Whoa... these are made of... gold?"

"Yep," Echo said, coming up beside her. "It seems that equipment in the Trials are magical. It's unorthodox, but it's effective."

Taking her gaze away from the hoof-claws, Gloomie glanced around at her comrades. "Wow... you all have such fancy equipment."

Night Watch flashed a grin, putting her golden spear on her back. "Weren't easy to get. We had to go through two giant spiders to get most of this stuff."

"And there is Umbra equipment, evidently," Mosina said, indicating to the Wind Ruler on her back.

"Umbra... but only the elite guards are equipped with those," Gloomie breathed.

"I thought it was kind of sentimental for Luna to include them in the Trials," Echo piped up.

"And they have super powers, here," Night Watch added in.

"Super powers?"

"No time, Gloomie," Mosina suddenly asserted. "We have to get out of here, and there's only one way we haven't gone, yet."

"Where's that?" Gloomie asked, blinking.

"Up there," Mosina answered, pointing a hoof to the bridge that led from the lake shore to the highest tunnel in the room.

"I just came from there, kind of," Gloomie admitted. "But there was a fork—a way I didn't come from."

"Right, we should go there, then," Echo said, moving to the head of the group. "The quicker we find A—"

A giant splash erupted from the lake, cutting her off. Emerging from the water was a form much larger than anything they had encountered, and it let out a loud roar, sending vibrations throughout the room. The bat ponies stood shocked, their heads staring at the beast as the water flowed down its entirety.

"Run!" Mosina cried, taking off in a wild sprint towards the stone bridge.

Night Watch, Speck, Echo and Gloomie took off after her, not caring to linger and stare at the monstrosity. As they ran along the shore, dozens of the bipedal, amphibious creatures re-emerged from the waters, chasing after the bat ponies.

Loud splashing could be heard behind them, the large creature advancing through the waters towards them.

"Guh... I'll slow them down!" Mosina said, drawing her spear and spinning around. "Keep going, guys. I'll catch up!"

Echo passed her a knowing glance as she and the others ran past.

"Haah...!" Mosina immediately swung the Wind Ruler horizontally at the immediate group of monsters close to her. A short gust of strong winds pushed them off of their legs, sending them backwards. However, her eyes widened once she saw the large monster as it let out a roar.

Standing some three dozen feet above the water was a creature similar in appearance to the small amphibious monsters. It roared loudly through its dozens of serrated teeth. Lined along its back were long, sharp protrusions, and thin strands of blue electricity sparked between them.

Snapping out from her stupor, Mosina turned around and took flight towards the stone bridge.

The group of bat ponies were already halfway across, and Mosina landed behind them in a thud, running with them. "I-I've taken care of the little ones, but that big one's going to reach us!"

Night Watch held an awestruck gaze at the monster as she ran. "It... charges electricity?!"

"I don't know! Just run!"

Every stride the beast took with its thick, reptilian legs sent huge waves across the lake. Its hideous, eyeless head was fixed on them until it finally reached within striking distance of the bridge.

It let out another loud roar, raising up its right, heavily muscled arm. Very long claws protruded out of its finned fingers.

"It's going to hit us!" Gloomie cried.

The beast threw its clawed hand, smashing into the surface of the bridge behind them. With its palm open, it dragged its hand across the bridge, aiming to catch all of the bat ponies in one go.

"Aaah!" Mosina cried from the back of the group as the hand closed the distance with her.

Suddenly, she was pushed forward as Speck charged past her towards it.

With the Keel Regalia held in front of her, she immediately rooted herself to the ground as the hand collided with the shield. Indigo light erupted all along her body, magically binding her to the floor through her hooves and protecting her body.

A loud pang rung out, and the hand blasted backwards, deflected from the immobile pony.

The creature let out a piercing wail, its hand snapping backwards from its arm, broken. It reeled back, momentarily distracted from the group.

The light faded from Speck, and she groggily stood up from behind the shield, unscathed. Wobbling on her hooves, she nearly tipped over.

"Come on, Speck, I got you!" Echo said, having run back to her from the group.

"Guh... that took a lot out of me..." Speck drawled. Echo nudged her with her head before she began to trot. Speck followed her in a brisk trot back towards the end of the bridge.

The other bat ponies waited at the tunnel entrance, Night Watch reaching out to help Speck along when they neared.

"Quick, let's keep going!" Mosina beckoned as they ran past her.

Dozens of the small amphibious creatures were running across the bridge at them, letting out a chorus of gurgling growls and wails.

After the last of their group had run into the cave, Mosina followed, taking the rear.