• Published 17th Jan 2014
  • 889 Views, 5 Comments

Deus Equestria: Ascension - HarmonicaJay



A crossover between Deus Ex: Human Revolution's themes & MLP: Friendship is Magic

  • ...
1
 5
 889

Chapter 5: Plans and Dreams

Chapter 5

Plans and Dreams

"Equestrian Augmentations and Technology eliminates one of our most basic flaws:
The flaw of envy."
-Doctor August Rain
“I don't like it, Boss.”
“You don't like anything.”
“This doesn't feel right.”
“With what we do for a living this doesn't feel right?”
“Our work is business. This is just... wrong.”
“We have a business deal. We have to do our part.”
“But, Boss-”
“No. More. Questions. Just get the work done.”
Ministry of Magic and Technology, Ponyville

“Darling, it has been far too long,” Rarity said giving Twilight a big hug. “Really, I don't know what kept you from calling me, but we have to make up for lost time. You look fabulous, although those bags could definitely use makeup. Though I cannot blame you for them. It takes me ages to maintain this look in the morning.”

Twilight smiled at her old friend, half-heartedly stroking the very apparent bags under her eyes that she had been hoping that no pony would notice. Then again, she was talking to Rarity, the biggest Fashion Pony in Equestria. Even after all these years, Rarity's snowy white coat still hadn't lost its shine and her mane hadn't lost its luster. From a young age, the beautiful Unicorn had been destined to become a fashion designer. By the time Twilight had met her, Rarity had been full of ambition, eager to prove herself one day. The surprising part had been when it turned out that Rarity herself had been chosen as the keeper of the Element of Generosity.

On first glimpse of the white Unicorn, a pony would probably assume her to be nothing more than a vacuous, self-absorbed pony who cared more about tending to her indigo mane than anything else. And if they didn't bother to get to know her, they would probably be correct. She had thought so at first, but Rarity had proved her wrong many times over. One such occasion was during their first adventure when a river dragon, who was probably even vainer than Rarity, had part of his mustache lost and Rarity gave a lock of her own mane to replace it. And if you think that wasn't generous, you clearly never saw Rarity's devotion to making sure that her mane never even got wet without her say so. That was the kind of pony that Rarity was: Vacuous to those that didn't know her, but there were layers that only her truest friends knew about.

“Really, Twilight, I know you are a Princess and all, but you should take some time to call your friends. It's not healthy to be so wrapped up in your work all the time.”

Twilight sat back in her chair and grinned and rolled her eyes. “I know, Rarity, I know. You have no idea how many times Spike has been egging me on to contact you for a long time. He say's I'm starting to relapse into my Pre-Ponyville routine. I'm really glad to see you.”

“Indeed, he is correct. It is very important to maintain a social life of your own. So, tell, tell, tell, how have things been treating the Princess of Magic? Is there a special somepony in your life,” Rarity asked with a wink.

Twilight blushed. “No, no. There hasn't been time for stuff like that, Rarity. I'm busy. I have decisions to make. Ponies depend on me and my work. I don't have time for stuff like that.”

This time Rarity rolled her eyes and scoffed. “Darling, if there is anypony deserving of a break, it is you. Besides, what's this talk of you needing to throw yourself in your work? Remember all the adventures we had even after you became a Princess?”

Twilight sat back in her chair and gave a small smile. “Of course I remember. Why wouldn't I? But those days are gone. Equestria has been at peace for years. Even Discord has been quiet, Celestia knows why though.”

Rarity's eyes narrowed. “That's not what I hear, Twilight. I do read the papers you know. I know about the horrible tragedy that befell your employee and your little 'business trip' to Equestrian Augmentations and Technology. Tell me, what is the 'mysterious' Doctor August Rain like? Is it true that he lives in his office, has a long beard and... ahem, keeps his leavings in jars?”

Twilight laughed. “I thought you said you read the papers. Not the tabloids.”

Rarity looked shocked and offended. “I don't know what you are implying. I read only the most reputable of news sources. It's not my fault if I hear a few rumors now and then. He's never seen in public nor social gatherings.”

“Well, I can say that he is quite... well mannered. I'd say that, at first glance, a bit eccentric, but he is definitely a business pony. His accomplishments speak for themselves.”

Rarity leaned forward. “So why the visit? Why bring Applejack and Rainbow Dash? What is going on, Twilight? I'm asking as a friend.”

Twilight looked back and forth. She'd wanted to make sure that Rarity was involved as much as she needed to be for her plan. However, she also knew that if she told Rarity too much, it would put her in very probable danger. Rarity wasn't like Applejack or Rainbow Dash. She wasn't weak, but she was just a civilian, a fashion magnate. This was it. This was where she was about to cross the line. Rarity would not be backing down.

“Ok. I think that... E.A.T. may be involved in criminal activity. With the Harvesters.”

Rarity was shocked. “Really? Don't you think that's... cliched? I mean, why would they?”

Twilight nodded. “I know, I know. It doesn't make sense, but my gut tells me that something is going on in that company. Something illegal and I have to figure it out.”

Rarity tilted her head. “And you want my help with it?”

Twilight lowered her gaze staring at her own four hooves. “Yes. Yes, I have a plan and I need your help. I need you to pay a visit to Doctor Rain at E.A.T. and plant a bug in his office. I need to listen in on his conversations and no, before you ask, this is in no way legal. At all. I am committing a crime that could get the Ministry itself into trouble, I fully admit it. You are fully within your rights to walk out of my office right now. What do you say, Rare?”

For what seemed like the longest time, there was silence. Neither Rarity nor Twilight said a thing to each other nor made eye contact. Twilight had no idea what Rarity's response would be. She wouldn't blame her if she left. She really would not. She expected her to get up and say goodbye. What was said next, Twilight had not expected at all.

“What should the objective of my visit be?”

Twilight looked Rarity in the eyes and smiled. “You have a fashion show coming up, correct?”

Rarity nodded. “I do indeed. We are still trying to book a place for it, but we do have just about everything we need. Pinkie Pie is even helping me out with the after party.”

“Good. You will visit Doctor Rain as a friendly visit and a friend of the Princess. You will say that you gained his number from me and you would like to have luncheon with him. When you enter the office, I will take control of the electronic bug. It will look just like a normal house fly so hopefully it won't be squished.”

“And when we have lunch?”

“Use your charms on him. Get him to agree. It is important that he have the after party at E.A.T.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Any reason why it has to be at E.A.T.? What are you not telling me, Twilight Darling?”

“You... you are not the full plan, Rarity. I'm sorry. There is more, but I cannot tell you. I just need you to trust me.”

Rarity smiled. “Of course I trust you.”

Twilight smiled back. “Great. I'll let you know when it is time to move forward with the plan.”

Rarity nodded and as she departed Twilight's office, Twilight could hear Spike give a cute little, “Goodbye” to Rarity. She smiled at this. Since day one of arriving at Ponyville, Spike had always harbored a not so subtle crush on Rarity. Spike knew that Rarity thought of Spike like a little brother, but, of course, this did not deter his affections.

She activated the intercom and waited for a few seconds. Silence. He was still pining. “Spike. Umm, Spike, we have work to do. I need you to contact Pinkie Pie on the double.”

There was a brief moment of silence when Spike finally replied. “That might be a bit of a problem. You see...”

The door burst open with a shower of confetti, the sound of trumpets playing and a red carpet rolled out and halted right in front of Twilight's desk. Twilight smiled and prepared herself for an introduction worthy of nopony, but Pinkie Pie, mistress of ceremony in Equestria.

As she leaned back in her chair, she could hear the additional sound of multiple instruments coming from down the hallway. This was it. This was Pinkie's big entrance. Down the hall and through the door, wearing an assortment of many instruments, all connected by string, including a flute, a harmonica, a self-strumming violin, an oboe, a trumpet, a large bass drum, and a tuba, came Pinkie Pie.

It is an interesting fact to note that Pinkie Pie was actually the very first Pony in Ponyville that Twilight Sparkle met upon arrival. Well, “met” is a bit too broad a statement as much as “said one word to her and got a frightened 'gasp' in return and then ran off.” In reality, Pinkie Pie had dashed off to plan a party at Twilight's then new home at the Ponyville library. The description “energetic” was too tame a word to describe Pinkie Pie. At times it seemed that Pinkie had so much energy that it appeared that she could be anywhere and everywhere at once, almost as if Pinkie could breach the boundaries of reality itself. “Happy” was also too tame a description for Pinkie Pie. To Twilight, it almost seemed that Pinkie Pie radiated joy wherever she went. Even the most cynical and bitter of Ponies could become happy just by being in the same proximity as Pinkie Pie. Twilight remembered when Pinkie made it her goal to cheer up a cynical donkey, even when he told her to bug off. Pinkie Pie would not be denied a smile from anypony.

As Pinkie Pie entered, she tossed all the instruments aside and gave Twilight a big hug that nearly squeezed all the air out of Twilight's lungs. “OHMYGOSH! Twilight! It's been soooooooooooo long since we've hung out! 5 YEARS! You know how many weeks that is? 260 weeks. That's 1,825 days! That's 8,760 hours! How have you been?!”

Twilight could barely get a reply out, much less breathe. “Pinkie.... You are.... choking me!”

Pinkie Pie looked at Twilight's face as it slowly turned blue. She released her. “Oh. Sorry. I'm just sosososososo excited to see you!”

“I know, Pinkie. I know. I'm happy to see you too. Look, I know that you are planning Rarity's after party for her fashion show.”

Pinkie Pie nodded rapidly. “Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh. It's going to be Pinkie Keen!”

“Well we're just in the middle of securing a place. It's going to be at Equestrian Augmentations and Technologies and I need you for...” She paused, realizing what she was about to ask of Pinkie Pie. “I need you to do your 'other job' one last time for me.”

Pinkie Pie didn't say a word as her bright smile slowly faded away. The “real job” that Pinkie Pie had done during the war. The cover of Party Pony and Morale Officer had been the perfect cover for her real job: Information Gathering and Espionage. After the war ended, Pinkie had made Twilight promise that she would never make her do another job again. And Twilight had kept her promise. She didn't like using Pinkie or any of her friends like this, but this would be the last time.

As if she could read her mind, and in the back of her mind Twilight suspected she could, Pinkie Pie asked, “And this will be the very last, 'this time you mean it' job?”

Twilight nodded.

Pinkie's smile returned. “Excellent! What could go wrong?”

Twilight wished Pinkie hadn't said that.
A Bar across town, Ponyville

“Got an extra stool open?”

Applejack turned to see Rainbow Dash having walked in with a small smile on her face. Applejack put down her glass and motioned for her to sit down next her. As Dash sat down, Applejack motioned to the barkeep to pour an extra glass. The barkeep, an old unicorn, obliged. Rainbow Dash looked around the bar with her one good eye.

“Haven't been ground-side in a while. I remember this place. This was where we would go to 'wind down' during the war. You still come here?”

“Never left,” Applejack replied, taking another sip of hard cider. She looked at Rainbow Dash. “So why the visit?”

“Just thought about catching up with an old friend. Really. We haven't done this in a long time. Plus, I noticed the smell of cider on your breath.”

“You think Ah have a problem?”

“Maybe. Maybe not. I know I have a problem with cider, but not as bad as you look.”

“This bar's one of our customers. Gets me a discount.”

“You mean, 'One of Applebloom and Big Mac's customers,'?”

“Mah name's still 'Apple' ain't it? Long as it is, Ah'll be enjoying the fringe benefits.” As she raised her glass to take another swig, Rainbow Dash stopped her.

“I think that's enough for tonight, AJ.”

Applejack turned to Rainbow Dash, giving her a dark look. Rainbow Dash was able to see just how far her old friend/occasional friendly rival had gone. Applejack looked like she hadn't slept in days. Her eyes were bloodshot, with heavy bags underneath, and her eyelids saggy. Applejack looked as if she were about to say something, but instead she just tipped over, face planted on the ground, accompanied by snoring. Rainbow Dash shook her head, paid the bill, draped Applejack over her back and trotted out.

“Let's get you home.”
The Dreams

As Rainbow Dash put Applejack to bed in her apartment, Applejack dreamed. Within Applejack's dreams, memories that had long been repressed crept back into her mind, and of course, they were not pleasant memories. The horrible thing was that these memories were not shown as separate, but as one horrendous, cruel memory. The memory of two years of war. Applejack stood in a field of bodies. Bodies that were her old squadmates and her enemies. Her mentor and instructor, Sargent-Major Drillbit, lay dead with his eyes to the ground. A young mare that had been a scout under her command at least had her eyes closed. There was no sign of anything else in the distance except for bodies as far as the eye could see. No cities, no towns. Nothing at all. Nothing but bodies.

Applejack cantered through the bodies in an attempt to get away from it all. Even within a dream, she could smell them all, she could hear the flies buzzing all around her. Only flies, no voices, no groans. Nothing but flies. She halted and clapped her hooves over her ears to shut them all out. She closed her eyes, but she couldn't keep the smell away from her nostrils nor stop the tears from flowing. She was trying to wake up, but she couldn't. Then, she heard his voice.

“Mah dear Applejack, whatever is the matter?”

The accent was very similar to ponies from down south in Appleloosa. It was an accent that many ponies in her family had. She opened her eyes to see another corpse in front of her. The pony was male with a faded brown coat and a short white beard and mustache. He wore a green and brown military jacket with the outline of an Earth Pony rearing back in a whinny on his sleeve. The symbol of the Equalists. Next to his head, that had a bullet hole in it, was a red beret. His eyes were an unnatural faded red. Those eyes belonged to General Salamander Red, the dead leader of the Equalists. He was looking at her.

“Why do ya cry, General Applejack? Granny didn't raise nopony to be crybabies. A soldier accepts death, even the deaths of those he or she causes.”

“Yah ain't even here,” Applejack said through gritted teeth, attempting to shut him out. “Yer dead. Yah died at Canterlot. The war is over. It has been over for 10 years.”

“Over?” He stood up on all fours and towered over her. “The war ain't over until all the leaders are dead on one side or both. He is still alive. She is still alive. Ah may be dead, but mah ideals still live on in the hearts of everypony that stood behind me in battle. This is not over.” He paused for a moment. “Yah should have joined me. Ah could have taken care of yah. The way they would have wanted.”

Applejack stood up at that. She was livid. “Shut. The. Buck. UP!” At that, the dream stopped as if she were in a speeding carriage. A rush of breath slammed into her chest. She looked around her apartment, breathing heavily. Rainbow Dash was nowhere to be seen. A glass of water was on her bedside table with a note beside it.

“You could use some water for a change. Get well. Dash.”

As she drank it, she thought about the dream and Salamander Red's words. She shook her head.

“No. Not the way they would have wanted. Never.”
Equestrian Augmentations and Technology, Manehattan, Two days later

Next to Canterlot, Manehattan was the biggest city in Equestria. Compared to Ponyville, which was still on the rise, even with the added benefit and business of the Ministry of Magi-Technology, Manehattan dwarfed it in sheer size and population. As Rarity's carriage traveled through the city, she had to marvel at it. This was the Equestrian dream. While Canterlot was the capital and devoted mostly to the upperclass, Manehattan was the city where anypony could make it if they had a dream and the means to make the dream happen. It was a mix of many different kinds of cities, each with its own populace and style. Hooflyn and Princesses were where the middle class ponies lived. The Bux where the lower class ponies dwelled, and the eponymous Manehattan where the businesses and upper class ponies were stationed. And it was here where Rarity was to meet the mysterious Doctor August Rain. As her carriage pulled in front of the building, she was met by the large stern buck Mr. White and the Pegasus mare, Lightning Dust. Mr. White nodded his head to her.

“Ms. Rarity, I am Mr. White, bodyguard and head of security at Equestrian Augmentations and Technologies. Doctor Rain has arranged for lunch to be had on his office. He sent us to escort you inside.”

Rarity smiled. “Why thank you very much, Mr. White. I am eager to meet your employer.” Mr. White didn't say a word nor even shed a complimentary smile toward her. He just turned and motioned for her to follow.

When they entered the silver tower, Lightning Dust turned, saluted, and departed. As she left, Rarity got a closer look at her. Lightning Dust had metal plates grafted on her back. Her wings had been replaced with metallic ones. All four of her hooves had been augmented. Her ears had cochlear implants within them and she knew her eyes had been replaced. It made her uneasy. How much of the original Lightning Dust was left? She didn't really know the Pegasus that well, except from her brief meeting at Rainbow Dash's flight school when Lightning Dust's arrogance and need to prove herself had nearly gotten Rarity and her friends killed. Lightning Dust had been dismissed from the Wonderbolts of course for her reckless behavior. Rarity never paid her much heed then, so she had no clue why her presence made her uncomfortable now. As she followed Mr. White into the elevator, she shook off the unease and focused on her current goals: Plant the bug and arrange a deal with Doctor Rain. How hard could it really be?
Doctor August Rain's Office Balcony, Equestrian Augmentations and Technologies

“So, with the blackout, my father was completely at a loss as to how to restore power to our house. The fuses were blown and we didn't have any spares. So, using a modified version my potato battery school project and a huge sack of them, I was able to hook up a bunch of batteries to our generator and was able to provide power to our house. And that's how I got my cutie-mark.”

Rarity smiled and wiped her mouth with a levitated napkin. She looked out the corner of her eye to where Twilight's Cyber-bug had planted itself. When she entered Doctor Rain's office, the bug had scurried out of her saddlebags and placed itself on a bookshelf. She had insisted that they begin lunch in order to take any attention away from the bug. Mr. White still remained in the office, insisting that he look after the Doctor, as was his duty. At first, she had put on the airs of being interested in Doctor Rain's stories, but over the past hour, Rarity had become genuinely interested in what he had to say. “Oh, interesting! And it really worked? A home powered by potato batteries?”

Doctor Rain smiled and laughed. “No. It only worked for a minute before the lights went out again. I mean, a house cannot really be charged by potatoes. Though that would solve any future energy crises. Nevertheless, my parents said that this was my destiny. That if I could create such a thing for a brief period of time, I could do so much more. So obviously that meant I should be an electrician. But I felt I was meant for more. That the talents I had should not be kept stagnant in a simple blue-collar job. I wanted to help other ponies. So I decided to quit and I became a doctor and I just realized that I am reciting my interview with Ms. Vinyl Scratch, aren't I?”

Rarity laughed. “Probably, but you do it well. You should have become a public speaker. Why didn't you?”

Doctor Rain took a sip of his glass. “The thought never occurred to me, I guess. All my life I've wanted to help other ponies. And now, I've helped more ponies than I ever did as a medical Doctor. It's enough to give you a swelled head. But enough about me? How about you? How did you obtain your cutie-mark?”

Rarity thought back. “Well, I was a young filly and I was in charge of designing costumes for a school play. The problem was that the original costumes were just awful. My teacher said they were fine, but I knew that I needed something to spice them up. To make them better. I needed something to decorate them with. While I was looking, I detected a large cache of gems within a giant bolder. Using them, I was able to decorate the gems and that is how I earned my cutie mark. The funny thing is that if it wasn't for my friend Rainbow Dash, I would never have found those gems or gotten my cutie mark.”

Doctor Rain tapped his hooves together and squinted. “And you really just used the gems to decorate the costumes?”

“What? You think that I was mistaken to?”

“No, no, no. I think it is intriguing. Anypony would have probably kept that cache for themselves, but you, a filly, saw that fortune and just used it to enrich something that was probably just fine to begin with. Creativity, generosity, and the ability to bring out the luster in others. That is a grand gift.”

Rarity blushed at this. “Oh, it's nothing. I was just doing my job.” She laughed for a moment, but upon spying Doctor Rain's cybernetic leg, she stopped. “Doctor Rain-”

“Please, Ms. Rarity, call me August.”

Rarity found this odd. “Umm, alright, August. I was wondering if I could ask you a personal question... about your leg.”

August Rain's smile left his lips. He lowered his head down to gaze upon his cyberleg. “Of course. What would you like to know?”

“You said you lost your leg due to a Pegasus mortar and that it was amputated in a medical base. Is that really true?”

August Rain looked as if he was considering answering and for a second, it looked as if he were looking over Rarity's shoulder... towards the bookshelf. Rarity quickly glanced in his direction, but saw nothing. The bug was nowhere in sight. She quickly turned back to him, relieved that the plan hadn't been found out. Doctor Rain looked at her and Rarity could swear that he was about to cry.

“Partially true. Partially. During the war, did you ever hear rumors about P.O.W. Camps run by Bloodmane that indulged in torture?”

Rarity's eyes widened. “I did. I'd hoped that they were just that: Rumors. I know the war forced many ponies to do terrible things, but I never thought... torture could be considered one of them.”

August Rain lowered his head. “Well, I am living proof of that. My squad was ambushed and my leg was injured. We were taken prisoner to one of the camps. We had the misfortune of that camp being run by Bloodmane himself.”

Rarity gasped. “You... you actually saw General Bloodmane?”

“I met him. He needed more medics and since I was one, he "re-recruited" me to work in the camp... keeping the prisoners alive after his "interrogations". However, my leg was becoming infected so I tried to use that as an excuse to not work for him. …He had my leg cut off and disinfected so I could work for him. He didn't use anesthetic while doing so. Said that they needed it for the patients, couldn't risk the doctors becoming addicted.”

Rarity covered her mouth in horror. “How... how could anypony do that to another? It's sick. It's vile. It's... it's evil. Why didn't you tell anypony the truth?”

“When the war ended, I was afraid that if I was revealed to have knowingly helped another pony torture other prisoners, I would be punished for it. I could lose my medical license for breaking the Hippocratic Oath. 'First do no harm.' I broke that oath. When we were rescued after the war, I kept my head low. I spent a year in that camp. I just... I didn't want to relive those memories.” Tears were beginning to flow down his cheeks. “I'm sorry. I'm sorry.”

Rarity reached forward and took his hoof in hers. “No. Don't be. You were as much a victim of that... that creature as those other ponies were.”

August Rain looked up and smiled at her. “Thank you. I've practiced that other version in my head for so long, I started to believe it. But... enough about that. Your original proposal for wanting to meet me here? Your 'fashion show after-party'?”

Rarity was taken aback by this change in attitude. She had forgotten about the original point of the plan was. “Oh, yes. Yes. Of course. I was wondering if you would consider allowing us to use your building for the after-party. It is for charity and I know that seems a bit silly, but everywhere else is booked up and-”

“That sounds wonderful,” Doctor Rain said.

“What... what did you say?” Rarity was shocked. It couldn't be this easy.

“I said it sounds wonderful. It really helps us both. It helps you with your show, and it helps my company with publicity. Luna knows we could use it with the smear campaign “Ponies for Purity” is waging against us. So, I accept your offer.”

Rarity didn't know what to say to this. She didn't think that it could be so easy. She hadn't expected him to be so open to it. “It would all be for charity you understand. The company would not gain anything from the proceeds.”

August laughed. “Oh, publicity is all that would be needed in exchange. Money is only a short term solution and we are financially stable enough as it is. So, I accept your offer. Send me your party planner's contact info and I will go over things with her. Your planner is Ms. Pinkie Pie, correct?”

Rarity started to feel more confident in this plan. She levitated Pinkie Pie's business card out of her saddlebag and placed it in front of Doctor Rain. “Yes. She is. Thank you so much, August. This really helps me.”

She was about to continue on when an “Ahem” came from behind her. She turned to see Mr. White standing in the doorway. “Doctor, I believe that you have an appointment in a few minutes with Software development. I believe that it is time for Ms. Rarity to leave.”

August was about to protest when he glanced at the clock. “Oh, Mr. White, you are correct. I'm sorry, Rarity. We will have to conclude our business some other time. But, thank you for dropping by. You have no idea how much it means to be able to eat with another pony for a change.” He took up Rarity's right fore-hoof and kissed it.

“You... you are welcome, Doctor.”

“Mr. White, would you have one of your staff escort Ms. Rarity out safely?”

Mr. White nodded. “Of course, Doctor.”
10 Minutes Later

After Rarity departed, Mr. White returned to Doctor Rain on the balcony. “A party? Really? Project: Ascension under development and you want to throw a party?!”

Rain looked Mr. White in the cyber-eyes. “Look. The project is making headway and I believe that I am entitled to a little bit of fun for the first time in years. Besides-”

“You like her. Is that it? You want to risk it all for some Unicorn that you know is good friends with the Princess?”

“You think I don't know about that? This is a good way to keep an eye on her and her plans.”

Mr. White rolled his eyes. “Really? That sounds like a poor excuse.”

“Would you just let me have this?”

Mr. White said nothing for a minute and then finally nodded. “Fine. You're the boss. Don't blame me when this blows up in your face.”

Rain glowered at him. “This won't. Trust me. I know what I'm doing.”