• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 8,972 Views, 18 Comments

Breaking Free - VioletMichaelis



Twilight Sparkle is 15. In one short year she will be accepted into the hive mind. But what happens in that year she and the rest of Equestria will never forget.

  • ...
1
 18
 8,972

Learning Curve

Trixie scoffed openly. “I doubt she could learn magic! It requires certain qualities that they do not possess!” She turned away from the rest of the room's occupants.

“What, you're saying because she was raised by the hive that she has no talent for magic?” Time Turner asked rather politely, ignoring Trixie's attitude.

“That's exactly what I'm saying, Turner!” She spun around to glare at Twilight, causing the purple mare to take a step back. “Magic takes soul. They have none! Trixie will not teach someone like her.” She stomped her hoof down for emphasis.

Twilight held back the urge to leave the room and stepped forward. “What do you mean? Needs soul? I don't understand...” She glanced over to TT but he simply remained quiet, tapping his muzzle with a knowing look.

Trixie took a step back so she had more room to move around in. Her magic sparked up and fireworks formed around her, twinkling gently like evening stars in the air. “Magic, miss Twilight Sparkle, takes heart and soul.” She punctuated her statement with a large red cartoon style heart that burst into a rainbow.

Twilight held back the urge to clap and gasped in awe.

Trixie had a face of relaxation and control, and every time her horn sparked up a new spell she would speak again. “It is from the imagination that spells take their form, and the power of the spells come from the heart.” She paused to glare directly at her. “Something that the hive despises. They breed it out of you, draw out every last bit of individual thought.” Another pause as her theatrics died down. “You're in a different world to me, Twilight Sparkle.”

Twilight took a moment to think, and then slid the saddlebags off her back, eliciting a confused look from the other unicorn. She used her magic to levitate her sketchbook out of her bag and placed it gently on the floor in front of Trixie.

Trixie eyed the book with a perplexed look. “What is it?”

Twilight shook her head, pushing it towards her with a hoof. “Just open it.”

Trixie levitated it in the air with her magic and opened the first page. Her eyes lit up as she scanned the page quickly. She flipped to the next page, gasping as she inspected it.

“Is it that bad?” Twilight asked, wishing for the other mare's approval.

Trixie remained silent for a few moments. “Y-You drew these?” She asked, unable to believe it.

“Yeah, in my spare time...”

Trixie set the book down and reverted to her quiet state, as if in deep thought. “Twilight Sparkle...”

Twilight dipped her head down.

“I will be honoured to have you as my student!” She beamed, bouncing forward to wrap her fore hooves around Twilight. “You are simply amazing!”

Twilight was speechless. She waited until Trixie had removed herself from the hug before speaking. “Thank you, Trixie! I won't let you down.”

Trixie scowled for a moment. “You had better not, I do have a reputation to uphold!”

“Ah. Yes of course.”

Time Turner rubbed his hooves together, content with his efforts. “Grand! I trust you two will be a perfect team. Miss Trixie, I would like you to further her knowledge of the arts for only as long as necessary. After that you will have to concentrate on other areas of magic. I apologise if I rush you along rather quickly, but it is important you do so with utmost haste.”

Twilight turned around to enquire about what this 'other magic' was, but before she got the change, TT was out of the door with the pink earth mare following behind.



Outside, Time Turner was quickly trotting down the hall with the pink mare behind him, matching his stride quite easily.

“Heya TT! You alright?” She asked, bouncing around to his side.

Time Turner hid his face from her gaze, pulling on a fake smile. “I'm just fine, Pinkie Pie.” He stopped in his tracks, digging his hoof into the ground. He exhaled deeply, rolling his shoulders and neck. “Well. Mainly.”

Pinkie Pie scowled, leaning down to meet his gaze. “That face doesn't look alright, T. Tell ol' aunty Pinkie Pie what's wrong. It'll stay between you and me, okidoki?”

He took a moment, scrunching his face in hesitation. “I-I'm worried, Pinkamena.”

Pinkie pie gasped and took a step back. “Pinkamena? TT are you alright? You never call me that unless,...”

“I took a massive risk today, all for that mare. I hope my gut was right, because I might have endangered all of us.” He slammed his hoof into the ground in frustration. “Stupid, stupid stupid me!”

“Hey hey, hold on now! What do you mean by a risk?” She asked, putting a comforting hoof on his shoulder.

“I spoke about us right in the middle of town! I got out my sketchbook, I was revealing information in the public... Anyone could have heard!”

“I'm sure it'll be fine, TT! After all, they've never found us yet! Why would that change now?” Pinkie pet him on the back. “It'll be fine!”


Inside the room with Trixie, Twilight heard a hoof slam from the hallway. Her ears perked up as she turned to listen in. Trixie got her attention by shouting out at her.

“Hey! Eyes front and centre! No distractions.” She demanded.

Twilight spun around quickly. “Aye aye! What do we do first?” She asked, sitting on her haunches.

Trixie allowed herself a moment to smile. “First we master simple levitation! I see that you can use it, but not very well. I assume after entering the halls you will find your magic to have improved by just being here. Try to lift up your saddlebags, for example.”

Twilight scrunched her face and activated her horn. Her magic formed around her saddlebags and whipped them high into the air, hitting the ceiling with ease. The noise of the bags hitting the ceiling so hard shook her concentration and Trixie had to catch the bags as they fell out of Twilight's grasp before they hit the floor.

“What... just happened?” She asked, rubbing her horn in amazement.

Trixie grinned. “It was easier to move the bags because your magic has more fuel. Remember what I said about magic needing imagination and soul? You've seen so much while you were here that it's already grown stronger.”

Twilight got to her hooves. “What do we learn next!?” She asked, positively radiating positive energy.

“Well in order to learn about the arts, I believe it's important that we work on something with either colour or sound. Which do you prefer?”

Twilight had always wanted to be able to turn her sketches in to paintings, so she quickly decided. “Colour!”

Trixie beamed. “We will teach you one of the simpler spells, miss Sparkle. To get the hang of things.” Her horn lit up with magical aura and spread forward, wrapping around a painting on the wall. The colours in the image randomised and reorganised themselves, turning from cool blues and purples to fiery reds and yellows. “Now this one is very simple, all you have to do is...”

Trixie's words fell on deaf ears however, as Twilight was deep in thought. She remembered the feeling of Trixie's magic and tried to emulate it with her own. The magical aura spread forth from her horn like wildfire, enveloping Trixie instead of the painting.

“What are you doing to Trixie, miss Sparkle?! Sparkle?”

With one last spurt of energy, Trixie's mane and tail turned a brilliant shade of royal purple. The aura dissipated quickly and Twilight slumped onto the ground, breathing heavily.

Trixie was speechless as she materialised a mirror in front of her, scanning her reflection. “How did you...?”

She glanced over to Twilight, who was fast asleep from the massive toll the spell had taken on her magic reserves. Without bothering to reverse the spell, Trixie materialised a couch for Twilight, laid her down on it, and made for the hall in seconds.

Author's Note:

I was so anxious to post this I didn't get to proofread it more than once, so pointing out any errors will be appreciated.
I'm sorry if my chapters are short, I just like to update every two days whenever possible, and this is all I could write for tonight without forcing the rest of the chapter to be unkempt and generally bad.