• Published 27th Feb 2012
  • 702 Views, 6 Comments

Reaping Chaos - Lost Handle



2035: Bronies are a memory engrained in the culture that influenced it so. To a destructive point.

  • ...
 6
 702

A Rustic Shop


“Brony.” What is its definition? In 2010 one might have said that it meant a watcher of the show “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.” By the time 2016 rolled around, brony had become synonymous with “Forward thinker” or “One who takes stands against the status quo.” Though its heart was always at the show. 2025 came and brony was no longer even related to the show, as the show no longer existed after losing focus on its goal. Though some stayed loyal, brony's meaning was now exclusively of a norm-breaker. “Love and Tolerance” was the official slogan of the UN's diplomats and commonly uttered by law-makers when discussing topics of public controversy. The show had left a mark on the world.

That's also when project DISCORD was started. Technology had advanced far enough to begin work on many ideas some would consider to be in the realm of magic. Telekinesis using objects to produce electromagnetic fields were in use, though pricey. But we wanted more. They needed every scientist they could get and they put aside arguments, beliefs, lives, even dreams to work on, arguably, the greatest feat mankind ever attempted scientifically. And work began. Theoretical sciences were put to the test as work progressed; breakthroughs found which, in any other situation, I would be proud to say I was in.

By 2035 the first success was made. A living, breathing, conscious, self-aware woman with inherent telekinesis that had signals sent through a horn-like object on her forehead. Modeled in physique and memory after a lady most in the team decided would be Rarity in human form. Press went wild, and what's more, the creation could respond to questions about her. She was given awareness about her creation and her basis as to not replicate some disasters fanfiction showed us. But oh, she was only the simplest. We had work almost done for more complex versions. This was things they had seen before mastered in a new way. The next would truly begin territory no one could begin to imagine.

Our creation basis had been on the mane six, as people would recognize the power we showed them. Thus next was the second simplest, Applejack. I was one of the main designers of her form and her resonance ability, which would allow a kick to produce constant waves at the resonant frequency as to what she was kicking, which would simulate applebucking as it would shake the apples or whatever else off the tree. Though it more often worked with simply shattering things. It was still interesting and, I guess, useful. I enjoyed working with her. (I might add at this point I witnessed firsthand how sick humans can be. I will not detail but I can assure you I became close, as possible as there were fifty other "close" with her, with Applejack and told of these exploits. Turns out, the resonator works quite well with bones. Quite a deserved sentence I may comment.)

Cracking the flight of the bee was something scientists worked on for ages, but when the secret was found it surprised us as we were able to perfectly replicate working wings on Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. We did this for pure fun, but we also created meters so that if at any point Rainbow broke the sound barrier, a rainbow light would begin shining. In reality, it wasn't hard to do, though Rainbow's personality suffered a minor error we had to talk her out of. Fluttershy's voice was augmented by a calming noise we discovered worked on animals. I wish I could say we created the stare in her, but that came quite naturally.

All of this astounded the public as they talked to heroes of their youth. Though the sickness of humans shone through again as they asked about matters of relations, sexuality and personality. We found most of them at one point or another hidden in their rooms we had built in a house for them, crying, with a fanfic that someone slipped them.

But all that was simple, and hadn't even touched the surface of anything we had ever made. Deeper in project DISCORD we had those projects that some would say were other-worldly. 2038 came and we brought to life two new humans, with powers unheard of in total secrecy. Not even the four other girls knew of their existence. Toying with reality was not something you did in public. And as Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle spent a year with us privately, many a scientific law was broken. They were highly experimental and NOT to be taken lightly. We watched as things came to life, space and time were bent, energy was created, energy was destroyed. All in result of years of toil.

We gathered them all together to finally all meet one day and explained as much as possible. And more, telling that the first four would be released to live publicly with new names as to not draw to much attraction, for they were quite ordinary-looking with the exception of small, concealable augmentations such as the wings. To Rarity we gave the name Ruth Tyre, to Applejack: Alexandra Jackson, Fluttershy became Felicity Dykas and to Rainbow Dash we gave the name Alexi Dash, in honor of the two who named themselves after them. When we finally went public with the last two, we explained the future the human race would have. One of total control, harmony, and no more strife.

Oh how naïve we were. Never name a project “Discord” and expect harmony. We created one more being to put all our ideas to the test: Discord. But a controlled version. Nothing could go wrong, right? Wrong. It was a nightmare. The spirit possessed many scientists and many more civilians nearby. Like cancer it spread. I was called to rescue the two we had kept safely as they mastered their gifts. Soon it was a mad dash to find the other four. We never did. Discord sent us to a time we could do no harm, moreover, before anyone would recognize the names of the six friends.

My name is Luke Harolds. This is a story of a shattered world.

Reaping Chaos
By: Lost Handle

I woke dazed at the front seat of my car. As I took a blurry look around I noted that we were on a highway roadside in the middle of night. I didn't pay as much attention to this as I should have, for I quickly spun around to the rear seats to check on Twilight and Pinkie Pie. They were soundly sleeping as they were before Discord's spirit found us inducing me to give a smile. Sleep sounded nice, as a dazed unconsciousness didn't refresh. When I looked at my dashboard clock, it showed that it was still early enough to grab something for eating before focusing their efforts. Just as we rehearsed so many times. In case of emergency, focus all efforts. That felt like saying “In case of nuclear war, don't die.”

I pulled off the side and began driving down the road. Right now a bite to eat would be good. I pulled out my phone to locate a nearby restaurant, only to find that the connection was bad. I muttered a curse and retried, when I realized that outdated WiFi signals surrounded me. I thought of the puzzling development. We had created a much better signal in every place imaginable by now. Sure some businesses had a WiFi connection here and there and houses still had a slightly superior connection, but why wasn't the regular MC system working? I shook my head and focused attention on the road. A sign alerted me to the fact that a old nostalgic shop we had around called “Cracker Barrel” was nearby. I hadn't eaten in one of those in a while so I pulled off. It would give me and the other two some time to talk and eat.

As I pulled up, shifting occurred in the rear seat. I looked behind me to see the two super-humans waking up. I calmly smiled and shook them awake a bit more. They were quite precious and I hated to do it, but their eating and understanding of the situation was more important. When Twilight finally recognized that the world was moving while she slept, she sat up and blinked a bit. “Where are we?”

Pinkie rose from a quite comfortable-looking position on Twilight's legs. She was a bit faster in recognizing the situation and saw the pretty lights and the rustic-looking building. “Wow this is a pretty place. Why are we here? Is Applejack here? Did we find them? Oh I will have to throw a party!”

As she spoke I felt the stability of reality loosen to accommodate her movements in the insanely small space. I groaned a bit and opened my door. “I don't know where we are other than this is a nice place to eat.” I paused, debating whether or not to tell them that Discord caught us, then deciding that telling them would be for the best. They took it lightly, considering we weren't hurt. And we all entered the restaurant. Pinkie gasped excitedly at all the toys and things hanging from the walls and displays. Twilight noted the old designs on the boxes. Something I noticed too. This must have been a special store, as normally what they stocked came from my time. But as the only thing I recognized was a collection of now old plush dolls called Webkinz, a interesting toy line that had a similar story to that of the bronies, I figured some old grandpa was running this for personal nostalgia. I didn't complain, and pinkie was surprisingly keeping herself contained as I had asked her to. All was well.

Twilight tapped me on the shoulder, noting, “My telekinesis isn't working.” I whipped around and looked at the object she was focusing her innate energy on, nothing. I pulled out my hand strap that would enable me to do the same, nothing. This was so wrong. Everything, even reproduction products, were equipped with energy capturers.

I examined Pinkie Pie cuddling a peppermint puppy and an alligator from the rack of Webkinz. Another thing struck me as odd. The peppermint puppy would be worth a small fortune now. The first retired animals were worth three hundred dollars only three years after being retired. No, these had to be reproductions. Everything was, and they were given more authenticity with the lack of telekinetic enablers. The lights shown and a checkers board was occupied by a father and son having a delightful game. Twilight moved over to examine it while I checked in, hoping nobody would notice the two with me as anything other than crazy girls who dyed their hair.

I stepped up to the counter, “Hello, I need a table for three. Me and my two friends.” pointing back at the girl jumping about with her toys and candy and the lady examining the checkers board. The man running the front at the time gave me a sly wink that I understood all too quickly. Going around with two girls following my would make my look like a player. I chuckled nervously at the little joke as he explained that it would be a few minutes. Thanking him for his time, I stepped away to find Pinkie trying to eat the candy straight away and Twilight challenging the father to a checkers game. I decided the more pressing issue was Pinkie. As I stepped toward her the woman behind the payment counter yelled at Pinkie. I smiled again nervously and looked back at the pink-haired girl. “We'll buy some later but you can't just eat straight from the shelves. I'm sorry but we are out in the world and I'll have to pay for this.”

Pinkie nodded as soberly as I guess she could. Personally, I wasn't mad at all. I found it quite cute that she would forget. I compare them in my mind to the show characters, and when I look at them, I see ponies enjoying themselves. I hated to stop the party but it was for the best.

My name was called just as Twilight finished her game; I swear I saw only two of her pieces missing from that position. We exited the store area and continued to the table that was shown to us. As we sat down I checked the area around us. A few elderly gentlemen were nearby eating along with a group of college students that looked like they were on a road trip. Neither seemed too interested in us. I looked over at my companions, who were staring wide-eyed at the sheer amount of choices presented to them. I giggled, “The chicken and dumplings are good. I say you start with that.”

Twilight put down her menu and looked at me. “So, Mr. Boss man, what ingenious plan do you have in your in-control bag.”

I felt a little shocked at her opinion of me, but it was understandable in retrospect. I had simply gone up and ordered them into my car so we could escape, driving in silence. I suppose I treated them like objects and nothing more. I overlooked the fact that they were fully sentient beings I was talking to. I nodded my head and smiled a little forcibly. “I'm sorry but I've been in a little panic with this whole situation.” I looked over the items and found one that sounded good, putting down my menu too. “We should get to know each other. I haven't had much involvement in your part of the-”

“There you go again.” snapped Twilight, “Treating us as experiments.” There was silence as I looked down guiltily. Pinkie was busy scanning the dessert section. Twilight's expression softened. “I- I'm sorry I didn't mean to- I'm just tired.”

I looked up after seeing the waiter return for a drink order. I grimaced and admitted, “Yes, I have. I- I'm sorry.” I asked for water for all and as the waiter left I looked away at the walls. “Wow, it's amazing how old some of the stuff here is. I mean, there is some old stuff in most of these restaurants but this is from MY grandparent's time.”

Twilight thought of that, “How old are you?”

I responded, “Fourty-three since yesterday I'm afraid.”

Pinkie looked up with a twinkle in her eyes. “Omygosh really? Yesterday was your birthday? Then we should have a PART-” Twilight quickly used her telekinesis to grab Pinkie and pin her into her chair.

“The last thing we need is attention.” I mumbled, a bit upset that I wasn't able to receive a Pinkie party under the circumstances, “I'm surprised no one has recognized you.” A little too late as her incomplete exclamation had attracted the jeers of the college students. Pinkie didn't mind and simply looked back down at her menu. Twilight and I blushed in embarrassment as the mocking laughs and contained snickers from the group emanated.

“Er- fourty-three you don't look that old.” Twilight noted directing the conversation back on a track that didn't involve parties.

I nodded and turned to one of those little puzzles they put on the side of the tables. “You two don't look twenty-seven even though that's your ages. Studies have slowed down the outward appearance of aging a lot. I personally don't care much; the average lifespan is at a good one-hundred and twenty. I guess we should look good in old health but fashion is kinda silly to me.”

Twilight snickered, “Says the guy in the naughts' get up. You must be cold with that jacket open.” I chuckled. It was true. I was a bit of a hypocrite in the sense that I always tried to keep at least the style that had been in fashion this century. With the economic downturn, people realized the importance of simple fashion and something that kept its class. Considering my dark shirt, open black light jacket, and dark jeans didn't getting the brunt of laughter whenever I was in public, I assumed this was as good a style as any.

“Sweater vests died with the herd, just so you know.” I cracked back. Though it was true. Because of the floodgates being opened to true fans of anything by the brony movement, irony and hipsters died out as well. Twilight's snarky smile only grew a bit with that remark. Sure she was dressed up like a nerd, She was a nerd and could prove herself to be a super-nerd. I decided not to press issue with Pinkie to continue this conversation, as she wore much the same style as me.

Twilight picked up and fiddled around with the game. I swear it took her five tries to solve it. Finally the waiter came to take our order. After jotting down Pinkie's huge order she walked away shaking her head. We all giggled at her comment about teenagers and appetites. She was only off by eight years. Nothing to hold against her though. The two really did look sixteen. Who knows how long they could have lived? As that though crossed my mind I sighed. In trying to fix the world, we destroyed it. Not to mention stopped scientific experiments for fifteen years. All to produce these two. As I looked at them take in the outside world, one which we cut them off from, I thought it was worth it in a way. It was Discord who was the problem. We became cocky. I became cocky. I really feel like I was in a way responsible for advocating it even as a low-rank scientist.

Before I knew it were were talking about what everything on the walls was from. I never was a historian, but I could inform Twilight on the history behind the pictures, posters and items. Pinkie seemed interested in the sports and the games that were played. I felt like I really was explaining it to ponies, not humans I witnessed be brought to life.

After the food came we quickly saw it was worth the wait. As the two began eating I quietly murmured a word of prayer, intriguing Twilight. “Why did you do that?” She asked as I finished.

I pondered the question of explaining the different ideals and religions. I dug into my first bite and explained, “It's just a custom I and others participate in for a belief we have. You know that's one thing that was hard to overcome when the love and tolerance movement came about. Now most don't mind talking to those with different beliefs or discussing another's ideas. It's one of the main things that kept DISCORD together.”

Twilight nodded in interest and continued eating in silence. Thus was half the meal spent, until Pinkie (of all people) remarked, “So what about our names Mr. Smarty? You gave our friends names so they could leave the big building!”

I sat a bit shocked, why had I not thought of that. “Well, what would you name yourselves?”

Twilight grimaced, “We don't even know your name. Even if we did come up with names for ourselves why would we tell you?”

I laughed quietly, “Luke Harolds. I'm sorry. I guess getting to know each other means each other at least knowing names.” Twilight and Pinkie followed suit in laughter. I was glad that by now the college group had left. We ate and enjoyed the company of each other. As for the names we chose, Pinkie's was quite obviously Diane Pie, and Twilight went with Tara Rachel. It really was just on the back of our minds. Only a few minutes were spent discussing anything of importance to stopping the Discord threat. Company of friends was all our minds needed.

We paid and exited the restaurant, fulfilling my promise to buy Pinkie candy and the two stuffed animals. We piled into the car laughing and telling stories when I took a glance at the receipt. I kinda laughed a bit more when something caught my eye. My laughter ceased, my jaw locked up in a terrified expression, and I slumped back. Twilight quickly slowed her laugh too. “What's wrong?” she asked. I passed her the receipt, showing her and pinkie a certain area.

Twilight read it out loud, “Date: 9/24/10”