• Published 1st Mar 2012
  • 3,474 Views, 186 Comments

Planet of the Ponies - LightStriker



Falling from the sky is never a good idea... or is it?

  • ...
12
 186
 3,474

When things go boom

"Look... My day so far has been one hell of a mess. Actually, my last six months have been deeply testing my sanity." he explained trying to stay calm. "My mind has long stop trying to piece things together. Who the hell are you?" he almost screamed.

The guy in the blue suit stared at him and then started genuinely laughing. Mark felt he would only get angrier, but somehow his laugh calmed him. He even started laughing too.

"Sorry for the outburst. I did have a rough day." he apologized looking at his feet.

"No need to." he said balancing on his toes with a huge smile. "For someone dumped in all this, you're holding pretty well, I must say." He walked to Mark and sit on the rock beside him. "I'm the Doctor." he said while giving him his hand.

Mark looked at the hand for a few moments. It looked surprisingly human. He admitted, of all the things he faced in the last six months, this was by far the least strange.

A guy in a suit in the middle of the desert is the most normal thing? Kui kui kui...

He took the extended hand and shook it. He was somewhat surprised to find a warm firm human hand in his own. "I'm Mark. Ex-astronaut. Maybe last of my species." he said raising an eyebrow.

The Doctor looked at him in amusement. "The last one? On no, no, no. Humans are a persistent bunch. Trust me, there are still plenty of them out there." he said with motion of his arm pointing at the sky.

"Are you?" Mark asked, surprised he didn't take the hint. "I have the feeling you're not human."

He looked at him in surprise. "You are an observant one." he simply said.

Mark stared at him in silence, waiting for further explanation which never came. "You want me to ask, right?"

The Doctor laughed again. "Ah alright, alright. You're not easy. I'm a timelord. And I am the last of my species." he said pointing his thumb at his chest.

Mark stopped a few moments to think about his claim, but couldn't think of anything constructive. "And... what is a timelord?"

The Doctor stood up and looked around before looking back to Mark. "What is a human?"

He thought about it for a few moments. "I... I don't know. Genetic... or historical, maybe."

"Ah! If it's genetic, then you are truly the last one. Genetic change too fast to keep track. History? Might be hard to sum that up, since humans survived up to the end of the universe. Billions of years of history, I wonder how many books it would take." He looked at Mark smiling. "Do you know why you're a human?"

Mark was confused, but in a kind of good way. He felt this Doctor had a huge amount of knowledge and experience. Somehow, he felt that not judging a book by its cover was amazingly accurate with him. Thinking a bit about what the Doctor just said, he finally understood. "I'm a human... because I call myself one."

"Ah!" The Doctor slapped his own leg. "I'm gonna give you that, you're quick." He sat back beside Mark. "I'm actually impressed. You got the Universals out of hiding and they actually directly changed the timeline by moving you here."

"The Universals?"

"Well, they don't have a name. But I like to name things." he explained. "A very weird group of people made of a melting pot of hundreds of species. If we can still call them people. They tend to influence history from the shadows. Changing very small details. They help... in their own weird way. First time I see them take a direct approach and actually interact with someone."

"And you, what's your take in all this?"

The Doctor stared at Mark, looking surprised. "I like to meet people and see new places. And people tend to be the most interesting when facing something unknown." He put his hands behind his head and he looked up at the sky. "And well, I do like the unknown."

"You were stalking me?" Mark asked skeptical.

"What?" The Doctor blinked then started laughing. "Oh, no, no, no."

"You just happened to be in the neighbor?"

"You would be surprised." he answered with a smile.

Mark sighed. He couldn't sense any bad intention from the Doctor, and somehow he felt he was always telling the truth. He sounded like a kid, amazed of everything he would discover. However, he had the weird feeling he already saw him somewhere. "You were offering a lift?"

"Since I'm around, it's the least I could do. Ponyville?"

"Sounds good" said Mark. He stood up, opened his bag and took the purple star. "If you don't mind." He went to the time capsule doors and once they were open let the star on the ground behind them. Turning around, he saw the Doctor staring at him. "I'm sure Twilight will want to explore this place one day."

"No doubt." answered the Doctor. He turned around and started to walk away. Mark didn't feel the need to ask how he knew about Twilight. He was a mystery, and his answers were only bringing more questions. Mark followed him in the desert.

While walking, Mark asked "Hey Doc, I was wondering. How comes those ponies speak English?"

Looking over his shoulder, he simply replied "They don't."

"Come on! I'm pretty sure we talked to each other just fine. Was it some magic from them?" he asked back.

The Doctor stopped walking and turned around. "Apple. Apple." he simply said.

"What?" Mark was confused. He heard twice the same word, but somehow they sounded different. His ears were telling him it was different, but his brain was convinced it was the same word.

"I said it in English, then in Equestrian. I would guess 'they' did some tweaking in your brain so you could talk to the locals." he explained with a shrug. He turned back and continued walking. "So far you only talked to me in English. However, I have the feeling you will talk Equestrian as soon as a pony is around." he started laughing.

"Should I be concerned about this 'brain tweaking'?"

"Probably." The Doctor continued laughing. "Here we are." he said pointing at a blue box somehow stuck in the middle of a sand dune. Mark recognized it as an old British police phone box. The Doctor turned around he looked at him with a huge smile, obviously awaiting some kind of reaction.

Mark wasn't really surprised, he was expecting far stranger than that. "I hope you got a bathroom in there."

"Hmm... Yes, you do need a shaving." he replied walking to the blue box with a key in his hand. He unlocked the door and made sign at Mark to enter first.

Mark was trying his best to not look surprised, but the inside was far bigger than he expected. In the center of the room stood a circular control panel that looked everything but simple. To the left and right corridors connected to other rooms. His mind was trying to find scientific explanations for this difference in size between the outside and the inside without much luck. His best guess was warping space on itself. The Doctor passed beside him and pointed to the right. "The bathroom is down two floors to your right."

Two... what? How big is this thing?


Half an hour later, Mark looked at himself in a mirror. He managed to wash and shaved himself. He found a pair of old plain scissors and cut his hairs, which were getting pretty long, down to two inches. He was surprised to not find any electric razor. Since he cut the part of his hairs that were still brown, he was left only with his new silver color.

I look old, and I'm not even thirty.

His new eye color was bothering him, he felt they were way too bright and didn't look natural. He thought they looked sick. He exited the bathroom to find his spacesuit folded on a chair with his shoes on top. Somehow, The Doctor washed them and they looked brand new, like he didn't just walk four months in the desert. He suited himself up and went back to what he decided to call the control room.

He found the Doctor sitting on some kind of bench reading a thick black book. He looked up to Mark. "Hey! You almost look presentable."

"Funny. I was wondering, know any sickness that would change hairs and eyes colors?" Mark asked with his hands in his pocket.

The Doctor blinked a few time. "Well... A few actually. But none from Earth. Why do you ask?"

Mark sighed. "You would be surprised to know yellow isn't the eye color I'm used to."

He stood up and went to stare at his eyes. "Do you feel ill?"

"Not really."

"So all good!" he cheered. "Ready to go?"

Mark looked at the ceiling. Somehow the Doctor reminded him of Pinkie Pie, only slightly less excited but as much unpredictable. "Allons-y!" he cheered back at the Doctor with a fake smile.

The Doctor stared at Mark for a good moment. Mark was surprised to have muted him. He took note to ask him later what he said wrong. The Doctor walked toward the console and started pushing and pulling things in what appeared to be a completely random order.

Does he really know how...


Mark slowly opened his eyes. He was laying on his back staring at an alien ceiling. He closed back his eyes, he wasn't feeling good. His forehead hurt. "Welcome back." said a voice to his left.

He slowly reopened his eyes and turn his head toward the voice. The Doctor was sitting on the small bench, staring at him. Mark slowly sit down on the metallic floor and put his back against the console. He touched his forehead to find a painful bump. "What happened?" he asked.

"You tell me. You just collapsed and hit your head on the commands." the Doctor replied. He crossed his arms and waited for an answer.

Mark tried to remember, the memory was there, he knew it. He put his right hand on his face, as it could contain his headache. "I... felt... I don't know. I never felt something like that before." the memory wasn't pleasant, and he started to understand why he collapsed, it had been very intense. "I felt... I guess... If I had to put words on it... Ripped off reality?" he stopped a few second to think about what he just said. "That sounds really crazy." He shook his head, trying to make a weird feeling in the back of his head go away.

The Doctor blinked a few time and pulled what looked like a long metallic pen out of his jacket. Pointing it at Mark, he pressed something on its side and the tip started to glow of a bright blue color. Look at his device, the Doctor raised an eyebrow.

I'm sure I saw that thing somewhere...

"Two on the same planet at the same time." After putting it back in his jacket, he put his hands on the back of his head and stared at the ceiling, obviously thinking. After a few moments he slapped his knees. "I think you're ready for a little physic teaching."

"What?"

"In the universe, what are the different states of thing?" he asked.

Mark thought about it a few seconds, the buzzing in his head wasn't going away. "You mean, like matter and energy?"

"Right. You got two of the five states." he replied. "Having met the ponies, I would guess you can come up with the transitional state?"

"Wait... you mean... magic?" Mark replied, shooting in the dark.

"Correct!" he said pointing at him. "The third stable state beside matter and energy is time. As for the last one, the best way to explain it... Well let's say the superstring theory isn't that farfetched. It's not right, but for now let's just say it kinda works."

Mark was confused, how is this had anything to do with him collapsing, and the Doctor was talking like if time was something that could be touched and played with. He decided to simply shut up and listen, after all it wasn't every day that he could get some physic teaching from an alien.

"Magic isn't stable. If you leave it like that, it tends to transform itself toward the stable states." he continued. "Do you know the pony princesses? Celestia and Luna?"

Mark had a hard time to follow; he wasn't used to that kind of unannounced jump of topic. "Huh... I read about them. Some crazy things about controlling the sun and the moon."

"Right." he replied. "I'm sure you also know 'Nothing is created, nothing is destroyed, and everything is transform'"

He had done it again, jumping to another thread of thoughts. Mark sighed. "Yeah. The law of conservation. I think." he replied, his head wasn't giving him a break to think clearly.

"Exact!" the Doctor cheered. "This law, at least the version written by human, was for energy and matter but it also hold true for magic, time and... 'strings'. So, can you guess how the princesses can move some celestial bodies?"

Mark waited a few seconds to be sure he correctly heard that. "What? You're telling me they really do move the sun?" he asked skeptical.

"Well... No. They control the rotation of the planet, but I guess the result from someone on the surface is pretty much the same." he replied scratching the back of his head. "So, any guess?"

Mark sighed again. "I... no. No idea."

The Doctor jumped to another topic once again. "Magic is generated by living creatures. As they eat matter and convert them in energy, a bit of that is turned into magic. It somehow regulates the transition between matters toward energy. But you can imagine the pool of magic someone has is fairly limited."

"I... guess?" Mark replied getting more and more confused.

"So, how a pony could get enough magic to change the speed of a planet?" he finished staring at Mark.

Mark looked around for an answer. He felt like a little kid back in school when a teacher would prove him wrong. "They eat a lot?" he said half laughing.

The Doctor blinked a few time and started laughing. "Oh, I will remember that one. But no, it would be impossible to generate enough magic from food alone." He smiled, keeping the suspense of his revelation. "Their magic pools are on the same frequency as another huge source of energy. They directly draw energy from the sun itself. Oh, they don't really know about it, but maybe after a few thousand years they started to guess."

Mark blinked in disbelief. "The sun? A few thousand years?" He took a deep breath, there was no point arguing. He was walking in a path of knowledge he had no idea about and questioning everything wouldn't help. "And... how is it linked to me collapsing on your floor?"

The Doctor had a huge smile. "Your magic pool is also on the same frequency as another source. Can you guess it?"

Something in his head whispered him the answer. "Time?" he said.

The Doctor raised his head back, obviously surprised. "I... well... yes. How did you guess?"

Mark closed his eyes and tried to listen to the presence in his head. It was talking, not in words or images, but in concepts. His mind had a hard time to follow, but in the mass of blurred information sometime came up some simpler idea. "Your ship..." He opened his eyes finally understanding and stared at the Doctor. "It... She? it's alive!" For one, he was happy to see the Doctor as confused as he was a few moments ago.

The Doctor started to genuinely laughing. "Yes. Yes it is. But don't listen to much to her. She can be a bit manipulative."

Mark kept thinking. "Does someone having his magic pool linked to time something common?" he asked a bit worried.

After a while, the Doctor managed to stop laughing. "No. It is not, as far as I know. You're the third one I meet who has this connection."

"You talked of a second one on this planet?"

"I think you know her already." he said with a huge smile.

Once again the voice whispered him something about a purple stars surrounded by five white stars. "Twilight?" he replied, without even thinking.

The Doctor stood up and started walking. "She doesn't know about it. She knows she can perform spells that other ponies can't do, but she doesn't really know why. Most of the time she blocks instinctively the flow from the time stream, as it can be damaging to a living body. But a few times it went... berserk. Her parents know that first hand." he said laughing. "If she were to learn how to correctly use it, she could be more powerful than the Princesses." he explained.

"How about me?"

"Well, sorry, but human can't do spells. The best you could do is probably live a bit longer than most people." he shrugged.

"Alright... I think I figured that much." he said looking at his right hand. "But how is that making me collapse?" he asked back.

The Doctor sited back. "My TARDIS... my ship, stands for 'Time And Relative Dimension In Space'. Basically, when you felt 'being ripped of reality', it wasn't a matter of speech.

Mark thought for a few moments. "So... You could bring me back to my time?"

The Doctor smile disappeared. "Going against the Universals? I don't think I would do that. Aside, they would probably bring you back here as soon as you step back in your time."

He sighed. "I guess you're right."

The Doctor stood up and offered him a hand. Mark grabbed it and got back on his feet. "Come on, there's some ponies waiting for you."


Mark stepped out of the TARDIS with his backpack on his shoulder, founding himself close to the market square of Ponyville. The sun was high in the sky and he couldn't see a single cloud. Looking back, he saw the blue box was stuck in a small alley between two houses. The Doctor locked his ship behind him and turned around smiling at him.

"Nice day." he said.

"Yeah. But maybe you should land closer to Twilight's house?" Mark turned around and peeked at the market. It was full of ponies going around buying and selling all kind of things. "I doubt two humanoid walking around here will go unnoticed. Scaring off a whole town of ponies might not be a good idea."

"Oh, they won't notice a thing." The Doctor said behind him.

Mark turned around and jumped in surprised. The Doctor was now a light brown colt with an hourglass on his flank. "How did you... You know what; I don't want to know right now." Mark stared at him for a good moment. "I'm sure I saw you before! You... you were in my room at the hospital one night!"

The Doctor blinked surprised. "Sorry, it must have been someone or somepony else. I never met you before running into you in the desert."

Mark sighed and scratched his forehead. "Alright, whatever." He was sure of what he saw almost six months ago, but there was no point accusing him. "So, you can go around, but as for myself, I can't just change of shape like that."

The Doctor laughed. "Neither can I. I didn't change, only you think you're seeing something different. Right now, the perception filter makes you look like a pretty nice stallion." The air flickered in front of Mark's eyes and almost instantly the humanoid Doctor was back. "Better?"

"Much, thanks." He looked back the market. "A stallion, right?" Without waiting he stepped in the open and intercepted an aqua mare with some kind of lyre on her flanks. "I'm sorry, do you know where's Twilight's home?"

She only slowed down a bit and gave him a quick look. "Of course, simply go toward the central tower, her house is in a tree nearby. You can't miss it." She got her pace back and left without a look behind.

"Thanks a lot."

"Your Equestrian is much better than mine." said the Doctor behind him.

Mark sighed looking at the sky. He didn't notice switching from English to Equestrian, for his brain he spoke the same language. "Mind if we take it slow? I wouldn't mind watching them in their social life. I don't know the next time I will be able to walk around like that."

"Sure." the Doctor said with a huge smile. "After you."


Mark was walking around, enjoying the life of the square. The ponies were mostly joyful, saluting each other and talking about nothing and everything. He wished he could stay right there at that moment and simply enjoy it forever. Of course, nothing was ever simple and his mind quickly brought him back to his current concerns.

He knew Twilight wouldn't mind him living in her basement a few days, maybe even weeks. But as much for her as for himself, he needed to find his own place and get something to do of his hands. But as much right now he could walk around without scaring off all those ponies, he knew if they were seeing him like he truly was, they would run away. It’s hard to make a life for yourself if you can't interact with others.

He was deep in his thoughts with something purple caught his eyes. He felt weird, confused, like if his mind was in a haze. Nothing had changed around himself, but he was sure he was seeing everything in double. Out there, about four hundred meters away, he saw Twilight walking away.

He was about to raise his arm and shout at her when he noticed who she was walking toward. He blinked a few time, trying to remove the fog off his mind, but he was sure he saw himself over there, in the same white space suit he was currently wearing. His other self raised his head and stared at him for a few moments before leaving in a dark alley with Twilight.

Mark raced toward the alley, but when he turned the corner, it was empty of life. The fog on his mind was gone as fast as it came. Someone tapped on his shoulder. "What's wrong?" asked the Doctor behind him.

Mark swallowed hard, did he really see that? "Did you see that?" he asked while turning around to face the Doctor.

"No?"

"I think..." he turned around once again, staring at the alley. "I think I saw myself."

The Doctor crossed his arms and stared at Mark. "Alright. Time travel rule number one; don't talk with yourself. If you see yourself, stay away. Understood?"

Mark frowned and looked at the Doctor. "Why is that?" he asked.

The Doctor pointed at him trying to look mad. "Hey! You're not the one cleaning the time stream once it gets messed up!" On that, he turned around and left a confused Mark behind him.

"Huh... Ok. Whatever you say Doc."

"I feel like the maid, I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for like 10 minutes? Alright... I'm gonna go get my paradox vacuum."


Mark was standing in front of the town's library, which also served as Twilight and Spike's house. The Doctor left him there, going back to his ship. He was slightly nervous, the first time he got in her house, she teleported him inside without asking first. He always hated to ask for help, but after six months talking and writing to each other almost every day, he felt they started to know each other quite well.

He couldn't stand there much longer; the Doctor told him the perception filter would fade off pretty quickly. He moved forward and knocked at the door. After a few moments, Spike opened the door. "Oh hey Mark! I thought you were still in that desert." he asked frowning.

"Hey Spike." Mark instinctively put his hands in his pockets. "Yeah, I was. Bit of a long story actually."

Spike moved off the door. "Well, come in. Twilight should be back from the market soon." Mark entered the library.

So, she was really at the market...

He stared to walk around, looking at the rows of book to see if there was some new one. He lost count of how many he read in the desert. "So... you think you're gonna stay here for a while?" asked Spike behind him.

Will I?

Mark scratched his head. He didn't want to stay here too long, but now that he knew the past and that he could probably never go back, he needed some time to think what he would do with his future. He could always build himself a home enough far away from Ponyville that he wouldn't meet random ponies. He knew for once that Zecora had her house in the forest. But he would need to come back to Ponyville to buy food once in a while; the last thing he wanted was to be dependant of some other ponies. Twilight could maybe make a spell that would work like the perception filter of the Doctor. But remains the problem of the currency, what can he do in this civilization that is not linked to advanced material or space travel?

"Actually Spike, I don't know. I was hoping you guys might have ideas for work I could do or a place I could call my own." he said while he kept looking at the books.

Spike thought about it for a few moments. "Well, I..." he was interrupted by the door swinging open.

"Hey Spike, I'm back. Anything new?" asked Twilight while walking in with an opened scroll in front of her face, obviously a checklist of some kind. With the lack of answer, she lowered the scroll and looked at Spike. He simply pointed at Mark.

"Oh, hey Mark.... Mark? How did you come back here so fast?" she asked surprised.


"And... that's about it." he concluded after almost an hour of talking about what happened to him the last five months, sitting at the table of Twilight's small kitchen. He skipped a few things, like some of his discussions with the Doctor. He was still unsure if he was real in some way. What's the chance of an alien who just happened to crash land in the middle of the desert at the exact moment you would need him?

"So... A creature just showed up and brought you back here?" she asked skeptical.

Mark sighed. If he was still in the middle of the desert, he wouldn't really question it and just assume he dreamed it. But somehow he was back in Ponyville, shaved and cleaned. "I'm not saying it doesn't sound crazy. But I am here, right?" He took a breath. "I left your teleportation beacon inside the mountain, so one day you could explore it on your own."

"Alright... So?" she asked after thinking for a while.

He took a deep breath. "I was removed from my own time on purpose. I don't know if they didn't just dump me here to not kill me or if they actually choose this moment. So... I don't think I can go back." He looked around, the idea starting to really sink in. "I... I might live and die here." He looked at his hands. "I will have to find some work to do... and a place to live. A real way to fit in, otherwise I think I will turn crazy."

She looked at him with a smile. "You can stay here the time you need to find out."

Maybe I was dropped here because they are that nice?

"Thanks. I will think hard and find something as fast as I can."


Two days later, in the morning, Mark was in the basement on the small cot. He was trying to list potential works he could perform.

Maybe I can ask Applejack for some work? I'm sure my hands could do things they would have an hard time with hooves. Maybe they got some mechanical stuff I could repair. Maybe I could build a kind of small house beyond her farm. Nopony would really notice it.

Mark never been really good with his hands, but in this reality, even his clumsy hands could potentially outdo hooves.

All of a sudden he heard a loud crashing noise from upstairs. He jumped off the cot and ran upstairs. As he opened the door of the basement, he found Twilight and Spike had come down from their room to investigate too. In the middle of the room lay Applejack, shaking and in sweat. Her mane and tail was a mess. She was crying and trying to catch her breath.

Looking around, he noticed she probably crash head-on on the front door as it was broken in half. He didn't think about it and jump forward to try to help her back on her hooves.

"Applejack!" shouted Twilight. "What's going on?"

Mark was holding the orange mare up, her legs shaking; she would fall back on the ground if he let her go. She was sobbing, tears flowing out of her eyes. She was still trying to catch her breath, like if she sprinted from her farm, which was a good twenty minutes of walk from here. He could feel her heart beating hard and fast.

"It..." She tried again to get enough air to talk. "It killed Apple Bloom!" she managed to scream and she broke again in tears.

For a few moments, everybody in the room stay silent in surprised. Twilight broke the silence. "What did?" seeing that Applejack wasn't listening, she shouted "Applejack! Are you sure?" Applejack only managed to nod between two sobbing.

Mark put Applejack down on her side with care and stared at Twilight for what felt like an eternity. No words were spoken but the mare and the man fully understood each other. They both sprinted toward the door. Mark let her take the lead as he didn't know where Sweet Apple Acres was.

His logical mind kept telling him there was nothing he could do; he was slower than the pegasi, weaker than the earth pony and could do no magic. He was exposing himself and other ponies would freak out. But he didn't care, his heart kept showing him memories of the small filly and those of the emotionally broken Applejack.

Even if his legs were in the best shape they ever been after months of walking in the desert, he had a hard time to keep up with Twilight. His legs started to hurt, but he didn't care, he accelerated. He had no idea how long the race took when he finally came in sight of the fence circling the apple farm.

He and Twilight instantly stopped in surprised. There was nothing alive left, the grass was burned and there was almost nothing left of the trees, only smoking broken trunks. A huge black cloud was hovering above what was now a wasteland.

"What happened?" only managed to ask Twilight while catching her breath.

Mark looked up at the cloud. It was black, but he could see white sparks moving inside it. As he looked, the cloud started to move and change shape. "Twilight!" he screamed afraid. He pointed at the cloud and she looked up. "I don't think it's a normal cloud."

They both started to back off as the cloud was slowly moving toward them. "What's that?" asked Mark.

"I... I don't know. I never read anything about something like that!" managed to answer Twilight with a frighten voice.

Something above the cloud started to fall down, accelerating faster. "Rainbow Dash! Don't!" screamed Twilight as loud as she could.

Mark stared up and saw a cyan pegasus doing some kind of dive straight toward the cloud. To his surprise, the pony kept accelerating, and he could see ripples around her.

Can she break the sound barrier? Incredible!

As Rainbow Dash passed the speed of sound, a prismatic explosion spread outward. Mark was stunned by that display of speed, power and how pretty it all looked. But as the blast spread, it stopped and started to shrink, absorbed by the cloud.

Seeing her plan fail, Dash tried to dodge the cloud. Somehow the cloud moved a tendril of smoke toward her, slightly touching her in flight. Her mouth and her eyes opened wide in terror as her colors were drained toward the smoke. Mark was sure she would have screamed if she could. But moment later was only left with a gray pegasus that broke down into an arc of dust, following her initial momentum.

"Rainbow!" screamed Twilight, while tears were coming to her eyes.

In a very short moment Mark saw a healthy pony die without a sound. He was stunned; there was nothing he could do against something like that. He tried to pull Twilight back as the cloud started to move toward them again, but she wouldn't move.

A double flash of light blinded him. When he managed to see once again, two huge ponies with both horns and wings stood in front of Twilight. One was of the purest white while the second was of the deepest blue. Both their amazing manes were flowing on their own, from an invisible wind. It didn't take long for Mark to understand those two were the princesses.

"Twilight!" asked Celestia. "What happened? We felt the element of loyalty die?"

Twilight couldn't answer, her eyes were full of tears and she was sobbing hard. Mark was beside her and he once again pointed up, behind the princesses. They turned around as one and gasped at the sight of the cloud.

They looked at each other, like if they were talking telepathically. After a moment, they stood by each other and closed their eyes. They horns started glowing, gaining in brightness. They moved their heads close to each other, and a huge beam of white and black shoot upward, hitting the cloud with force.

The cloud stopped moving, like if it was surprised to be attacked in such a way, but it was obvious that huge display of magic wasn't doing much effect.

Mark felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned around in surprised and found the Doctor behind him. "Do you know what this is?" he said doing a motion toward the cloud.

"No time!" screamed the Doctor, taking his arm and pulling him back. Mark could see the TARDIS only a dozen meters away.

"What are you talking about? We must help them!" Mark turned his head and saw the cloud sent a tendril along the beam of magic, using it like a line to find its way. The Doctor kept pulling him toward his ship.

Moment before the smoke touched their horns the princesses opened their eyes wide in surprised and tried to back off, but it was too late. The same way colors were drained from Rainbow Dash, both princesses saw their sucked toward the cloud, but unlike Rainbow, they didn't try to scream. They turned fully grey, stopped moving and were slowly blown to dust by the wind.

Before his eyes, Twilight screamed. "No!" She started to glow white, her eyes were opened, but they were also glowing white, making impossible to see her pupils, but it was obvious she was crying all their tears of her body. She started to float above the ground, her horn turning into a miniature sun.

The Doctor pushed Mark in the TARDIS. "What are you doing?" screamed Mark. The Doctor ignored him and turned around toward the door. The moment he closed the door, the outline of the door glowed brightly. It felt like the ship was slapped sideway by a giant, Mark found himself flying toward the furthest wall.

He tried to block his fall but he crashed hard against the wall. He stayed there a few moments, like if gravity in the ship was gone. The lights blinked madly. After a few moments, he felt falling toward the floor, and his leg collapsed under him. He quickly stood back up, but found it was a bad idea. Gravity was moving madly from side to side, like if he was on a boat in the middle of a storm.

Once the TARDIS stopped rocking back and forth, he walked toward the center of the room, to find the Doctor had crashed head first on the console. He helped him on his feet; he was bleeding from a deep cut on his forehead.

"What was that?" asked Mark. His ears were buzzing.

The Doctor didn't answer but walked toward the exit and after thinking for a while opened the door. Mark could hear him sighed heavily. He moved beside the Doctor and looked outside. All he could see was the vastest of space. "Where are we?" he asked.

The Doctor lay against the door frame. "At the same place and at the same time we were." he answered softly.

"What are you talking about? Where's Earth?" Mark asked loudly staring at him.

The Doctor pointed up. As Mark followed his sign, he saw the moon out there. Its surface was burned, like if an explosion took place on it. As he watched, streaks from the center started to widen. The moon broke into a dozen fragments that slowly drifted away from each other.

The Doctor took a deep breath. "She... she managed to kill it. Which is surprising. But... I... I fear she blown up the planet in the process."

Mark stared at the Doctor, trying to understand what he just said. He slowly turned toward the blackness of space. "No. It can't be." he whispered.