• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 1,284 Views, 41 Comments

Shattered Harmony Part 1 - A Fallen Star - Phazon_Corrupted_Unicorn



Princess Luna is given a Changeling foal to raise in Equestria and teach him the magic of love and friendship. Follow Midnight Star as he lives his life through thin and thick in a strange land.

  • ...
3
 41
 1,284

Chapter 3: The Princess and the Party (part 2)

They moved down the castle, heading to the south chapel. It took them just a few minutes with Shimmer leading them. As they came closer to their destination, they ran into Fancy Pants and his wife, Fleur De Lis, who wore a shimmering dress of silk with small gems embroidered into the hem. Midnight Star grinned at them and Shimmer saluted them as they joined the small group.

“Dear Midnight Star, how are you?” Fancy Pants asked.

“I'm wonderful, Sir,” Midnight replied, “how are the nobles today?”

“Absolutely furious!” Fancy Pants gave a chuckle, “they're all upset that I was requested by Princess Celestia to attend this Coronation. They don't like the fact that it's a private affair. I'll have to do quite a bit of damage control tomorrow morning, but I think this is all worth it. Not every day that you see a new Princess get crowned.”

Midnight smiled at that and would have continued the conversation but they had arrived at the chapel doors. Shimmer nodded to the two guards who stood at the doors, then turned to Midnight.

“I shall be back in time to see the end of the Gala,” she stated, “but I must take my leave of you.” She turned and walked back down the hallway, away from the group. Fancy Pants smiled at the retreating mare.

“Always diligent, she is,” he stated, then he turned back to the guards and smiled at them, “let's get this over with so I can start planning on how to calm the nobles.”

The guards nodded, one belonging to the Day Guard and the other belonging to the Night Guard. The Day Guard grasped the door handles with his magic and pushed them open while the Night Guard stepped into the middle of the doors.

“Representing the nobles, Sir Fancy Pant,” he stated as Fancy Pants strode into the room, “Representing the Fashion world, Miss Fleur De Lis,” Fleur De Lis followed her husband, “the Bearer of the Element of Generosity, Lady Rarity!” Rarity moved into the room and Midnight swore that she glided over the carpet like it was ice, “the Bearer of the Element of Kindness, Lady Fluttershy!” Fluttershy squeaked, and stumbled inside the room, trying to hide from all the eyes looking at her. Midnight felt a conscience touch his mind and he heard, Representing the Changeling Empire. He glanced at the Night Guard and saw him wink at him, “and Princess Luna's protegé, Prince Midnight Star!” Midnight shook his head, then walked into the room.

The south chapel was decorated in royal purples and deep blues, with banners hanging from the ceiling made from a royal purple that was embroidered around the edges with thread of a deep blue color, almost rivaling his mother's mane in color. In the center of each banner was a pink star and, as Midnight looked closer, he could pick out five, smaller, white stars surrounding it.

He walked down the carpet and took his place next to his mother, who stood on the right of Princess Celestia. He glanced around and saw that Rarity and Fluttershy stood near three other mares, one was the orange Earth Pony that had given him the apple snacks, while the other two were a pink Earth Pony with a cotton candy mane and a cerulean Pegasus with a wild rainbow mane. Also in the room was a white stallion that bore a purple shield Cutie Mark with a pink star in the middle and three stars above it. Close to him, and wearing a camera around her neck, was Photo Finish, with Sapphire Shores standing next to her. Prince Blueblood stood on Midnight's side of the room, next to Fancy Pants and Fleur.

The group wasn't waiting long before a knock was heard from the door, followed by two more resounding knocks that echoed through the large room. The doorhandles were wrapped in Princess Celestia's golden aura and slowly began to open. Midnight stared at the widening gap and gasped.

As the doors slid open, a familiar purple Alicorn slowly strode into the room, flanked by the Night and Day Guards. She bore a dress made of soft purple, with butter gold highlights. She bore a crown made of gold and held a purple gem in the center, below which was nine, blue gems.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle,” Princess Celestia stated, “it has been a long time in coming. You have earned the right and privilege to join the ranks of Equestria's rulers. You have shown true devotion to the nation, as well as to the individual ponies within it's borders. You have fought battles, won hearts, and conquered foes that many ponies would think impossible.”

As Princess Celestia spoke, Princess Twilight walked slowly and purposefully toward the dais where Princess Luna and Celestia stood.

“You have retrieved from the darkness my beloved sister on your first time in Ponyville, just after making friends. You helped each one of your friends through trials and hardships as they struggled in their difficulties. You imprisoned Discord again after he broke out, then befriended him at my request. You defeated Queen Chrysalis and her Changeling invasion, retrieving your sister-in-law from her imprisonment in the Crystal Caves below this city,” Princess Celestia continued as Princess Twilight stopped in front of the dais.

Princess Celestia unfurled her wings, spreading them to their fullest.

“Princess Twilight Sparkle,” she stated, “by the power invested in me and witnessed by all present, I crown you Equestria's newest princess. I give you the rights, privileges, and duties contained within that title. I grant unto you the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters, located within the Everfree Forest, as your castle. It will serve as the location of your court, as well as a secondary capital if Canterlot should ever fall. Your dominion will stretch to include the entirety of Ponyville and the Everfree Forest, as well as the surrounding area.”

“As it is said,” Princess Luna stated, “so let it be done!” The last few words rose in volume until the final word was uttered by the Royal Canterlot Voice, causing the windows to tremble.

With that final statement, the pink pony leaped into the air with an explosion of confetti and balloons. Princess Luna smiled knowingly, then turned to Midnight.

“Let us go visit with Twilight,” she said, “it would be wise to meet the new royalty and make friends. Perhaps a trip to Ponyville would be advantageous for you.”

Midnight smiled and nodded, then moved with her toward the group of six mares, Princess Twilight and the other five mares. Princess Twilight turned to look at the two approaching ponies and she smiled at them.

“Princess Luna, Midnight Star!” she said, “Fluttershy and Rarity just finished telling me about all that happened after you left the kitchen.” She smiled at Midnight and he felt his body grow warm as he pulled in some of the happiness that flowed from the new Princess.

“Princess Twilight,” he said and she looked at him, “I would like to introduce you to my mother,” he motioned with a hoof to Princess Luna, “you did say that you wanted to meet her one day.”

“What!?” the cerulean Pegasus burst out in surprise and awe.

“Oh my gosh!” the pink pony gasped and started to splutter about how she needed to throw a “Congratulations Princess Luna on having a son!” party.

“Well...” the orange pony stated, surprise apparent on her face.

Twilight just blinked in surprise while her mouth opened as if to invite all the flies in the room to take up residence in it. She looked at Princess Luna, then back at Midnight.

Princess Luna coughed to break up the atmosphere. “Yes, Princess Twilight,” she said, clearing her throat, “may I introduce you to my protegé, Midnight Star.”

“How long?” breathed Twilight.

“He's been in my service for the past five years,” Princess Luna stated.

“Why have I not heard of this!?” exploded the pink pony, shock and excitement pulsing off her like a wave, “there are so many parties to plan!”

“Pinkie, Ah'm sure ya'll have plenty o' time to catch up on your parties,” the orange pony stated, “just invite 'em to Ponyville for a few days.”

“Indeed,” Princess Luna stated, causing all around to look at her, “it would please us if one of you would be willing to house Midnight for a time when he visits. It need not be decided now, but do think about it. Now then, I feel that my sister will need help in quelling the paparazzi during the Gala so I shall take my leave of you all.”

Midnight waved at his mother as she moved through the crowds and to Princess Celestia's side, then he turned to look at the six mares that stood a foot or, in the case of Princess Twilight, two over him. The pink pony smiled widely at him and he felt a slight shiver run up his spine, while the cerulean one was glancing around at all the ponies in the room. His eyes met the emerald eyes of the orange pony, then slid to the lavender ones of Princess Twilight, who smiled at him. Then she gasped as something dawned on her.

“Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry,” she said, covering her mouth in a very un-princess-like manner, “I didn't even introduce everypony! This is Applejack—she gestured to the orange pony—and this is Pinkie Pie—the pink pony bounced up and down so fast Midnight felt his neck was going to turn into a spring—and this is Rainbow Dash—she pointed to the cerulean pony who turned to look at him at the mention of her name—and you've already met Fluttershy and Rarity, and I'm Twilight Sparkle. I guess I'm also the newest Princess of Equestria.”

Midnight gasped and stared at Rainbow Dash who, after noticing the stare, fidgeted. “You're Rainbow Dash!” he cried.

“Yeah,” she said, rubbing the back of her head, “why, ya heard of me?”

“Heard of you?” Midnight gasped, “not only have I heard of you but I know so much about you! You're the first pony in hundreds of years capable of performing a Sonic Rainboom, you won the Best Young Fliers Competition, and you were one of the mares that helped rescue my mother!”

“Wow, Rainbow,” Twilight stated, “it seems like you might have another fan on your hooves, even before you become part of the Wonderbolts.” Then she turned to Midnight and smiled. “If you think it's amazing that Rainbow is the Element of Loyalty,” she said, “then you'll find it even more so to find out that the six mares standing in front of you bear the six Elements of Harmony.”

Midnight's mouth fell open in shock, then he started bounding around in such a way that Pinkie looked jealous, “OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH! This is amazing!” he said, barely catching a breath, “you're telling me that the six mares that bear the Elements of Harmony are standing right here in front of me, and one of them is a Princess!?” The six mares nodded, sending Midnight into a fit of squee's that made Fluttershy blush and smile. “Hold on, I must get your autographs!” He vanished in a burst of green magic.

“There it is again,” whispered Twilight to herself, “where have I seen that color of magic? It feels like I should know.” She didn't have much time to think about it when Midnight appeared in front of them again in a flash of green magic, holding a book and a quill in his magic. He flipped open the book to the inside cover and held out the quill.

Each of the six mares took turns taking the quill and signing their name in the book. After they had finished, Midnight closed the book and squee'd again. Then he vanished again, and reappeared a few seconds later.

“What book was that?” Twilight asked.

“Hmm?” asked Midnight, “oh, it was Changelings: a history. My mother got it for me for my birthday last year. It's absolutely...” He would have continued, except he felt anger pulse off Twilight at the mention of Changelings. He shrank away from the Princess, his pupils shrinking as he remembered how Princess Celestia reacted to Changelings. He glanced around, ready to sprint to the doors if the same thing happened again when he was scooped up by Rainbow and held several hooves above the floor.

“So, kid,” she asked, looking him over, “you've got wings. Ya know how ta use 'em?” Midnight, stunned at the turn of events, took a few seconds to nod. Then she tossed him into the air and darted out the door with a quick, “catch me if you can!”

Midnight flapped his wings to stabilize himself in the air, then took off after the mare as he followed her rainbow trail left by her tail. He darted through the castle, pushing his wings harder and harder to keep up. As he sped closer to the outside, where he guessed Rainbow was heading, he felt dozens of consciences touch his and heard cheers and encouragement coming from them. They only fueled his drive and he pushed his wings harder.

Finally he burst through the castle doors and out into the cool, dusk air. He quickly glanced around and caught sight of a rainbow trail heading toward the Wonderbolt race track. He chanced a glance at the ground and saw hundreds of ponies watching him, all of them standing in position and marking out squares of pony bodies. Midnight had seen enough of the troop formations to know that what he saw was a good sized army standing in formation and running drills. He headed toward the race track but, as he did, he felt Shimmer Scales' conscience touch his.

Fly true and diligent, Prince.

Not a second had past when the entire group of soldiers below him gave a solid “Hoo-aw!” and snapped to attention.

I've got a Pegasus to catch! He darted toward the race track, only pausing when he saw Rainbow sitting in the stands, staring out into the empty track. She smirked as he sat down next to her.

“I was wondering if you'd gotten lost, kid,” she retorted, glancing at him then turning her attention back to the track.

“And I was wondering when you both would show up!” Both ponies jumped in surprise and turned to look at Pinkie Pie reclining on a bench eating popcorn.

“Pinkie, how did you-?” Rainbow started to ask, then shook her head in disbelief. Midnight only tilted his head in wonder. He turned his attention to Rainbow, who sat in silence. As he focused on the mare, he could feel things, feelings. They felt like a pile of pasta, all tied together and bunched up. He tried to sort out what he felt as he looked closer. He could pick out Loyalty, as that was the strongest, but also several feelings that tasted gentle. He knew that wasn't any way to describe feelings, but they tasted like they were a gentle morning mist, moist and soft. His mother had taken out a few times and they had walked the clouds and they kind of felt like that. There was also anger, that he knew well from Princess Celestia's explosion of it, but there was also something bittersweet mingled with all of the feelings.

“What's wrong?” he asked, causing Rainbow to start in surprise, then turn to look at him with a smile on her face.

“N-nothing,” she said, though her smile seemed to fall a little, “who said anything's wrong?”

“No pony,” Midnight replied, “I just felt that something was wrong.”

“Yeah,” said Pinkie as she landed next to his other side, “what's wrong, Dashie?”

Rainbow took a deep breath, then let it out slowly. “I guess,” she said, “I kind of understand their desperation.”

“Who's?” Pinkie asked.

“The Changelings,” Rainbow replied, “I kind of understand why they did what they did. Being the Element of Loyalty helps me recognize the trait in others. They were being loyal to their race, even if they went about it in an unort-unothi- in a different way than the rest of us. I still don't like how they did it, but I can get it. They were just being loyal to their Queen, feeding off of the only source of food that they could find.”

“Actually,” Midnight said, “w-they don't eat love. They just use it to fuel their magic.”

Rainbow and Pinkie looked at him in surprise.

“So,” Pinkie began, “why would they need to fuel their magic?”

“I don't know,” Midnight replied, “the history books don't have a lot on the beginning of the Changelings. The book my mother gave me last year is the most comprehensive collection of information on the race. I don't know why Changelings need feelings, but I just know that...”

Pinkie nodded, then looked around. “Why'd you want to come out here?” she asked Rainbow.

Rainbow blinked and looked around, briefly forgetting where she was. “Because,” she said, getting to her hooves, “I want to see where it is the Wonderbolts race. I want it to serve as a reminder of my goal, to become one of the Wonderbolts.”

“Why?”

The simple question caused Rainbow to look at Midnight with surprise.

“Why?” she repeated, “because, because the Wonderbolts are admired all over Equestria. They're idolized, and seen as the greatest Pegasi alive. They're always taking on dangerous missions and risking their lives for Equestria. They're the first ones on call when something threatens the nation. And I want to be a part of that.”

“But,” Midnight stood up and looked at her, “have you ever visited any other town or city besides Canterlot or Ponyville?”

“Yeah,” replied Pinkie, “we've been to Manehattan and Appleoosa.”

“But have you actually wandered around and watched the ponies there?” Midnight asked Rainbow, who shook her head. “I have,” he said, “and what I see makes me jealous of your status. You say that the Wonderbolts are idolized? Well, the Elements are even more idolized. It's now told to fillies and foals the stories of how you all defeated Discord and reformed him. In schools the Elements are taught and held as the standard of behavior. My mother told me of all the things that you and your friends have done for Equestria, how you calmed her anger and changed her back to be my mother, how you drove off the Changelings from their invasion, how you saved the Crystal Empire from King Sombra. She even had me read some of the Friendship reports that Twi-I mean Princess Twilight wrote to Princess Celestia.

“With all of these accomplishments,” Midnight continued, “how can you say that you want to be a part of the Wonderbolts? My mother told me that you six were the first ponies that knew of any danger to Equestria, before even the Wonderbolts, and she and Princess Celestia hated sending you on these missions because they didn't know what to do if you failed. There were several times before I was born that the fate of Equestria hung on your shoulders. But you didn't shirk the responsibility, you embraced it and conquered it.

“And that,” Midnight faced Rainbow, staring into her rose eyes, “is why I see the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony to be much more than just six mares from a backwater town. I see them as idols, as standards to live my life by, and as the greatest mares alive and in all of history. That's how I see them and, from what I've seen of all of Equestria, so does the entire nation. That makes you much better than to anything the Wonderbolts could even hope to attain.”

After Midnight finished speaking, Rainbow sat there, still staring into his navy blue eyes. The silence stretched into several minutes before Rainbow said anything.

“But,” she said slowly, “if my dream to be a Wonderbolt can't be accomplished, then what do I do?”

Midnight smiled at her, then said, “your dream can be accomplished, it's just that your dream would make you less than what you can be. You can still be a Wonderbolt, but they wouldn't necessarily help you be your best. You are already on the path to be your best, the only thing left is to live in such a way that you become the greatest Bearer that you can be. As a Bearer, you have before you hundreds of opportunities, more than would be available to you if you were a Wonderbolt.”

Rainbow nodded, showing that she understood him.

“Yeah, Dashie,” Pinkie said, smiling at the Pegasus, “the Wonderbolts are great, but when you're a Bearer there's nothing that can compare to it.” Midnight nodded and smiled, then turned to look at Pinkie.

“What's your dream?” he asked.

Pinkie thought for a second, then smiled. “That's easy,” she said, “I want to make everypony smile! No matter who I meet, they all need their heart lightened, and it's my job to do it! As the Element of Laughter, I was chosen to bring joy and laughter to everypony!”

Before Midnight could say anything else, he heard whistling from behind him. He turned around to see several large spheres of colors explode into being.

“Fireworks,” he said.

“Yep! Big ones!” replied Pinkie, bouncing next to him.

“Aaahhhh!” Rainbow said, her eyes wide in shock and surprise, “come on Pinkie! We've got to get to the Gala!” And with that,
she bolted away into the night sky, a prismatic trail following her.

“Yeppers!” cried Pinkie as she bounced down from the stands and back onto the ground, heading toward the castle, “the bestest party of the year!”

Midnight watched the two ponies head back to the castle and he sat there in the stands for a few more minutes, watching his mother work as she pulled back the deep black to reveal the shining stars. He smiled as the moon peaked out from behind the mountain and rise into the sky, illuminating Equestria. He heard the buzz of wings and turned to see a black shape land on the bleachers beside him, two eyes, glowing turquoise, glanced at him.

“Your highness,” the Changeling stated, the words coming out with a slight hiss, “her highness has requested that you head back to the castle, to attend the Gala.”

“Alright,” Midnight replied, standing up, “I'll return to the Gala.” He flapped his wings, floating above the stands a mere hoof. He nodded to the Changeling, then took off, heading back to the castle.

Shrapnel, the Changeling stated through telepathy and Midnight raised an eyebrow at the name. It sounded familiar, but he couldn't quite tell why. He didn't have much time to think about it before the Changeling continued, Midnight Star is returning to the Gala.

We are almost in position, another, unfamiliar Changeling replied.

Midnight floated through the night sky, rising on a thermal to give him the height to glide back to a lit balcony, with a door that stood wide to allow for guests to enjoy the night air. It was currently vacant save for three mares, mares that looked familiar.

He landed softly on the railing, then stepped off and lightly moved toward the three mares, who were looking into the party beyond the doors.

“Come on, Sweetie Belle,” the orange Pegasus said.

“I don't know,” the white Unicorn replied, “I don't think my sister will like it.”

“But,” the yellow Earth Pony added, “if it get's us our cutie marks, then it'll be worth it!”

“Yeah,” Sweetie Belle stated, shuffling from one hoof to the next, “but I don't think Rarity will like it if I messed with her dresses.”

“And what is this?” Midnight asked, causing all three mares to jump in surprise and turn around to look at him, “three mares getting into trouble at the Gala?”

“Um, well,” the Pegasus said, scraping a hoof on the ground.

Midnight smiled up at the mares, they stood a hoof and a half above his horn, causing the three of them to blush. He looked to the party, then back to the mares. “So,” he said, “what trouble did you want to get into?”

“Well,” the Earth Pony said, rubbing the back of her head, “we were lookin' to get our cutie marks.”

Sweetie Belle looked at Midnight, glancing at his flank. He smiled at her as she looked quickly in his eyes and she blushed enough that her face seemed to glow in the moonlight.

“H-hey,” she said, her voice quaking in embarrassment, “y-you don't have a cutie mark.”

“What?” the Pegasus shouted, darting forward and staring at his flank. She gasped and danced from one hoof to the next with glee, a smile on her muzzle.

“Oh mah gosh, really?” the Earth Pony said, “ya'll don't got yer cutie mark?!”

Midnight shook his head. “Nope, what's a cutie mark?”

Sweetie Belle gasped. “Oh gosh!” she said, raising a hoof to her mouth, “you don't know what a cutie mark is? It's a symbol that appears on your flank—she blushed even more at this—when you discover your special talent!”

“Oh,” Midnight said, sitting down on the night cooled stone, “and why are you three looking to get your cutie marks?”

“Well duh,” the Pegasus said, “if we find out what we're good at, then Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon will stop picking on us!”

“Diamond Tiara? Silver Spoon?” Midnight said, tilting his head to one side, “friends of yours?”

The Earth Pony shook her head. “No way,” she said, stomping a hoof on the ground, “they're bullies an' we don't like 'em!”

Sweetie Belle gasped. “Oh my gosh,” she said, shocked, “we haven't even introduced ourselves! My name is Sweetie Belle, and this is Applebloom—she pointed to the Earth Pony—and Scootaloo—she motioned to the Pegasus—and we are the Cutie Mark Crusaders!”

Midnight nodded and smiled at the three of them. “Crusaders, huh?” he asked, “what have you tried?”

“Well,” Scootaloo began, taking a deep breath, then she launched into a long list of different things they had tried. Midnight sat there for the next twenty-five minutes while she listed out all the ways that they'd tried to get their cutie marks.

“But,” Scootaloo said as she came to the end of the list, “one of the first things that we tried was to put on a rock show!”

“Yeah,” Applebloom said, staring at the ground as she dug at it with a hoof, “that didn't quite turn out how we wanted it.”

“What do you mean?” Midnight asked.

“Well,” Sweetie Belle said, “I was in charge of building the set and making the costumes, though Applebloom helped a lot with the set.”

“An' Ah was in charge of the choreography,” Applebloom stated, shaking her head as she remembered the twirls and spins that she'd tried to do, “Scootaloo really helped me perfect mah spinnin'.”

“And I was in charge of coming up with some awesome rock lyrics!” Scootaloo pumped the air with a hoof, then her face fell, “but some of my rhymes weren't the best. But thanks to Sweetie Belle and her sweet tunes and lyrics, we were able to get some good lyrics going!”

Applebloom nodded slowly. “Yeah, but they still laughed at us,” she smiled, “and gave us awards for Best Comedy Act, even though we wanted somethin' cooler.”

“Hey!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed, jumping forward, “since you don't have a cutie mark, maybe you would like to be a Crusader with us!”

“Yeah,” Applebloom said, Sweetie Belle's energy being infectious, “ya'll would be our first royal Crusader!”

“That would be awesome!” Scootaloo replied, “Diamond Tiara won't believe this when we tell her!”

“How cool is that?” asked Sweetie Belle, “we're friends with royalty!”

Midnight blinked in surprise at that statement. Friends? He could be friends with somepony other than his mother? He moved into the large ballroom where the Gala was taking place, stepping up to the hoofrail and looking over it, down into the room, which was large enough to hold several hundred ponies, though probably only had about a hundred at the moment. He saw dozens of guards around the room and many more mingling with the guests, which comprised of many of the rich and noble that lived in Canterlot. Up on a large stage was a four pony ensemble, consisting of a piano, harp, cello, and a tuba. The ensemble was just winding down a song and, as Midnight watched, they packed up their instruments and left the stage. He raised an eyebrow, then turned to look at the moon. It was too early for the Gala to be over, so what was going on?

His ears perked up as he heard the sound of dozens, no hundreds of hooffalls outside. He turned to run out to the balcony when he heard the doors down below slam open. The room fell silent as all eyes turned to the ponies at the door, the most predominant was Princess Luna. He saw Princess Celestia pause in her conversation with several nobles and she turned to look at the Lunar Diarch.

“Now?” she asked, and every guard in the room stiffened while one of the guards toward the back of the room darted from the room. Though Midnight couldn't see her face, he could hear the smile in her voice and feel anticipation radiate off her like heat.

Princess Luna nodded. “N-”

Changelings are in green, allies in blue, enemies in red, the Creator is dark blue and the Betrayer is in gold. Remember, this is a training exercise, set to stun. A voice echoed through his mind and he recognized it as Shimmer Scales.

“-O-”

His highness is located on the balcony above the ground, surrounded by three mares who are presumed to be friends. Another voice said.

Good, Shimmer said, Pinpoint, keep an eye on him and keep him safe! Arrowfall, get ready to fall into position! Now, for the glory of the Changeling Empire! For the 7th hive! For Luna!

“-W!” Princess Luna bellowed.

Before the word had even left her lips, the room was thrown into pandemonium! The windows blew inward, scattering shards of glass over the guests and guards as a few hundred Night Guards fell through them, rolling and leaping into action as their horns glowed and spells were loosed. At the same time the Guards behind Princess Luna leaped forward, forming a wall between her and the Day Guards, who were scrambling to recover from the rain of glass.

“Day Guard!” Princess Celestia shouted over the hum of stunning spells flying around the room, hitting guards and sending them sprawling on the floor unconscious, “run pattern Argead!”

As Midnight watched, the still conscious Day Guards in the room rushed to Princess Celestia's side, then radiated outward, where their golden armor made them appear like the rays of a sun. As they ran into position, they shot off stunning spells at any of the Night Guard they could see, but Midnight noticed that they were vastly outnumbered. They had taken too long to form up and they were paying for it with loss of numbers.

“ETA?” asked Princess Celestia to one of the Guards close to her.

“One minute,” he replied and she nodded, turning to fire off a scatter stun spell. It hit a dozen Night Guards and sent them backward into the Guards behind them. They kept firing off spells, knocking out Night Guard after Night Guard, but because of the shattered windows and the large doors behind Princess Luna, for every Night Guard stunned, two more filed into the room. They pushed the Day Guard back until they had Princess Celestia and her Guard up against the band platform.

Princess Luna strode forward, ringed by twenty Guards, until she stood in the center of the room, atop the golden sun and silver moon engraved on the ground. She smirked at her sister, then shot one of the Day Guard with a stun spell, sending him backward and knocking over his comrades. The Night Guard pressed forward, stunning Guards left and right, and from Midnight's view it looked like Princess Luna had won. Princess Celestia's Guard was too unorganized in the beginning of the fight and they had fewer numbers.

Then he heard a slight grinding of gears and, as he watched, a section of floor that was twenty by thirty feet right in front of Princess Luna slid downward. The Night Guard standing on the floor gave cries of surprise and defeat as dozens of magic blasts erupted from the dark passage beyond, stunning the Guard. They slid down into the darkness and were replaced by Day Guard marching up the ramp and facing off against Princess Luna.

Midnight saw something, a key that would defeat the Day Guard and seal the win for his mother, and he launched toward the stairs.

“Midnight!” he heard the three mares behind him shout in alarm.

I'm going to help my mother win this! he thought reflexively as he ran down the stairs, using his wings to glide when his hooves couldn't grasp the stonework.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADER ROYAL GUARDS!” And before he could wonder what that was all about, he heard the sounds of three sets of hooves following him down the stairs.

He emerged onto the floor at a run, right next to one ray of Day Guards. He took off as fast as his hooves could carry him, reaching inside to pull on his Emotion Font and using it to fuel his run. The Day Guards saw him, but all they could do was give a shout of surprise and alarm as he slid under their hooves. He pushed his magic in front of him, reducing the friction on the floor and allowing him to slide all the way into the center of the formation.

Princess Celestia stood there, stunned, as she looked down at him. He smiled up at her, reaching in for a glob of magic and forming a stunning spell at the base of his horn.

“How did you-?” she asked, but before she could finish the question Midnight released the spell and fired it up into her chin. Her eyes widened in surprise and she was tossed into the air by the force of the spell. She fell to the ground a few hooves from him as the room went silent. Day and Night Guard alike stood there, staring at the stunned princess then at Midnight.

The Day Guards parted to allow for Princess Luna and Fancy Pants to step toward him, both bearing a look of surprise on their face.

“Where did you come from?” his mother asked. He gestured toward the balcony then the stairs, where Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, and Scootaloo stood in surprise and she nodded in understanding and smiled.

Fancy Pants walked over to Princess Celestia and rested a hoof on her neck, then turned to look at the ponies assembled. His horn glowed softly, and his throat did the same.

“I do declare,” he shouted, his voice amplified to allow all in the room and in the surrounding area to hear, “that Princess Luna has won this Gala's skirmish, by help of Prince Midnight Star!”

The applause started slowly, with a few ponies in the back of the room, but grew quickly as everypony, guests, Night Guard, and Day Guard, stomped the ground. Princess Luna looked at Midnight and smiled even wider, then her horn glowed with dark blue magic and exploded outward. Midnight watched as each pony that had been stunned stirred and awoke, rising on shaking hooves. He turned to look at Princess Celestia as she shook her head and adjusting into a sitting position on the floor. Her eyes twinkled as she looked at him and she smiled.

“Well done, Luna,” she said, turning to look at Princess Luna, “and what an interesting surprise to have Midnight strike right at me. The skirmish would have gone on longer if he hadn't taken the initiative and slipped under my Guard. The win is both yours and his. Congratulations!”

Princess Luna nuzzled Midnight on the side of the neck and he smiled, nuzzling her back. Then she looked at Princess Celestia.

“You know the stakes,” she said, and Celestia nodded.

“The losing battalion,” she said, turning to one of her Guard, “will take over the 312th battalion's watch for the next week.”

Princess Luna looked at Shimmer Scales, who stepped up next to her and was smiling at Midnight. “That means,” she said, “your battalion has a week of mandatory vacation, starting tomorrow night.” Shimmer Scales nodded and saluted.

Well done, your highness. A bold move, attacking Princess Celestia directly, but one that won us the skirmish. she smiled at Midnight. He smiled back, but it was broken by a yawn. He raised a hoof to his mouth and blushed in embarrassment. Shimmer Scales smiled, then turned to Princess Luna.

“I believe,” she said, “that tonight's excitement has tired Prince Midnight out. With your permission I would like to escort him to your chambers and tuck him in.” Princess Luna nodded and Shimmer levitated Midnight onto her back, then turned and left the room. Midnight glanced around at the sound of metal and saw that many of the guests were passing bags to one another.

Bits, Shimmer stated, guests like to gamble on which princess will win at each Gala.

Two Night Guards flanked them as they left the area, then they proceeded through the castle until they arrived at the familiar moon emblazoned doors. They pushed open the doors and Shimmer strode in, levitating Midnight off her back and resting him on the bed. He yawned again as she pulled the covers up to his neck, then she brushed his mane out of his eyes as he snuggled down into the warmth. She leaned down and gave him a kiss on the forehead and he smiled, remembering how his mother would do that before she went off to Night Court. She stood back up and smiled down at him, then she and the two Guards strode out of the room, closing the doors behind them.

She gestured for the two Guards to take up position on either side of the doors, then she left them and headed back to the barracks. She didn't need to tell the rest of her battalion, that was the great thing about being a Changeling. Instant communication, that's what had helped win the skirmish. It was something that even the most battle trained Day Guards didn't have. They could read each other's body language, but only her battalion, only the 312th battalion could be in the middle of a battle surrounded by each other with their weapons swinging like a savage tornado and not hit anyling. Their blades would come within millimeters of each other's coat, but they would never hit them.

No, she was heading back to the barracks to pack for a week. She could feel a great source of love coming closer, and she knew that whatever would happen tomorrow would help shape her future, Midnight's future, and even the future of the entire Changeling Empire.

Author's Note:

Here's part 2 of The Princess and the Party! Here we see the coronation, the Grand Galloping Gala, and how the Princesses have chosen to liven up the Gala! We also see a few plot points and a bit more lore. This was a fun chapter to write because it let me imagine Changeling and Day Guard tactics as well as the physiological side to Rainbow Dash.

And tomorrow crap hits the fan! Things change, and things stay the same! Keep an eye out for the next chapter and, as always, read and comment! I read every comment made and take them all into consideration when writing. So tell me what you think and what I need to change!