• Published 1st Sep 2013
  • 4,305 Views, 84 Comments

Me, my Wife and my Daughter - Br0nyb0y123



A story focusing on Caramel adjusting to his new life as a father and husband

  • ...
8
 84
 4,305

Chapter 2: Walking Winona

I've just finished my cozy cup of coffee, and now I'm getting myself ready to take the family dog, Winona out for a walk. I was in the living room trying to find Winona's leash, also in the living room was Applejack who was trying to help me find the leash, and Applebloom and Toffee were sitting on the rug, Applebloom was playing with Toffee, and was desperately trying to get her niece's attention, but like most babies, Toffee just sat on the rug, picking up one toy and smashing it into another, and occasionally sucking on one.

I was rummaging through the back of the couch, searching for the leash, whilst my wife was trying to find the leash at the back of Big MacIntosh's chair,

"You find it, honey?" I loudly asked out from behind the couch.

"Ah haven't yet, sugarcube, but Ah'll let ya know if ah do" She replied.

"Thanks, Applejack" I said.

"Don't thank me yet, Caramel" She told me.

I continued my search through the messy behind of the couch. There was empty crates that were used for transporting off apples to different places in Equestria, there was empty glass cider bottles, probably from the previous family reunions we host here, can't believe we were too lazy to even notice that they've chucked bottles, and finally there was cobwebs, lots and lots of cobwebs, and when there's cobwebs, there's spiders. I hate spiders, I absolutely hate them, and I'm not scared of them, they just creep me out, well to be honest, I have developed a fear of a certain kind of spider, I don't remember the name of what kind of spider it was (obviously), but a few years ago during Nightmare Night, Princess Luna went in a mood and turned these toy spiders into these massive, hairy fuckers, with blood red eyes, I was terrified.

Since Applebloom took the dog out last, I decided to ask her,

"Excuse me, Applebloom?"

"Yeah, 'Mel?" She replied.

"Where did you put the leash when you came back with the dog last night?" I asked her.

"Ah put it in the kitchen beside the sink" She told me.

"Applejack, did you check there, babe?" I asked my wife.

"Ah did, it ain't there" Applejack replied.

I sighed, "OK, I'll have to get a thin rope from the storage cupboard, and use that as a leash"

"Won't be necessary, baby" Applejack called out.

"What was that, hon?" I asked as I turned to look at her from behind the couch.

I saw Applejack raise Winona's leash in the air, and gave me a smirk, suggesting that she's done much better than I did, and to be truthful, she has done better,

"Babe, you're a lifesaver" I complimented.

She gave me another smirk and blushed, and shrugged me after I gave her a compliment, I find it cute of her when she gets slightly shy whenever she's complimented. I hopped over the couch and went over to where AJ was, behind Big Mac's chair,

"Ah'm not a lifesaver, Caramel" She told me.

"Hey, says the pony who has saved her husband's ass multiple times" I said as a gave her kiss on the cheek, "You're also one of six ponies who beat Nightmare Moon, stopped Discord from turning Ponyville into the chaos capital of Equestria, saved Canterlot from Chageli.."

"OK, honey, ah get yer point" Applejack giggled.

"Where was the leash anyways" I asked.

"Strangely enough, under the floorboards" She told me.

"Really?" I asked, "What the hell was it doing under there?"

"No idea" She replied.

"Hmm, that's weird" I said, "I'll get behind this when I come back from the walk. Speaking of which, can I get the leash please?"

"Sure" She said.

Applejack then passed the leash to me, I looked behind me and still saw Toffee and Applebloom playing together, then I looked back at Applejack,

"Thanks babe" I said.

"You're welcome, sweetie" Applejack said after.

"Do you need anything whilst I'm out with Winona?" I asked.

"No thank ya, Caramel" She replied.

"Alright let me just get Winona and then I'll be on my way" I told her.

"Go ahead" She replied.

I walked out of the living room and made it towards the front door of the house, I opened the door and called out,

"WINONA! Come here girl!" I called and then whistled.

I looked out ahead at the apple acres that I could see for miles, hoping Winona heard my whistle, and that she's just playing around in the farm after Applejack let her out for her breakfast.

Suddenly I heard the sound come from the bushes near the apple trees, and out came our brown and white border collie, Winona. She came racing towards then pounced onto me and started to lick my face,

"OK. OK. Winona, get off" I told her.

She obeyed and hopped off of me,

"OK, now sit" I commanded.

She sat on the floor and got myself back up on my hooves, I got the leash and hooked it to her collar. Applejack then came over to the front door, carrying Toffee, to say goodbye for just now,

"Caramel, how long do ya think ya'll be gone for?" Applejack asked.

"Em....about an hour, Applejack" I replied.

"OK, hon" Applejack said, "Somepony else wants ta say bye to ya"

She looked down at our child in her arms and got her into a more comfortable position,

"Ain't that right, sweetheart?" She asked Toffee.

I crouched lower to speak to Toffee, she was sucking on her hoof once again. I gently stroked her cheek and said to her,

"You gonna say goodbye to Daddy?" I asked my daughter.

"Ah think she wants a raspberry" Applejack smiled.

"Oh, a raspberry? Instead of a goodbye? Seems fair" I laughed.

I pressed my lips against my daughter's belly and took a deep breath then blew on her tummy. Toffee started to laugh, it was adorable to hear her laugh. I love the sound of laughter, from anypony, whether it could be a laugh from my wife or my daughter, it makes me have a smile on my face.

After I finished blowing on Toffee's tummy, I stood back up on my hooves and said to Applejack,

"I'll be home before you know it"

"OK, honey" She replied.

"Love you" I told her.

"I love ya too" Applejack told me.

I held Winona's leash, and leaned forward slightly and gave Applejack a kiss goodbye, so I walked away from the house with the dog and waved goodbye to Applejack and Toffee.


Walking Winona from the house to town is no bother for me, I let her off her leash and she'll just run to the bottom of the dirt path that leads from my house to town and wait for me to get there. But it's when we're in town, is when she starts to aggravate me, because she hardly ever listens to me when out for a walk, as opposed to when she's with Applejack, then she obeys every command she's given. Also, Winona isn't too good around other dogs, she usually growls at them and tries to pounce on one whenever she gets the chance, which pulls me along with her, and strains my arm, so I have to pull her away from the other dogs, which hurts her and I don't want to hurt her.

Ponyville is looking nice as always, it's a sunny day. The birds are chirruping in the trees and strangely enough, at 7:10am, hardly anypony was outside, and it's Saturday, usually a lot of ponies would be up at this time, strangely enough on a weekend, but maybe everypony is just trying to chill today.

Due to Toffee being born, I haven't been in Ponyville in about two weeks, I've been having to look after her and Applejack, who wasn't feeling well at the time, with Big Mac kindly going into town to get things for the baby, such as diapers, milk, etc. Big Mac and I don't get on often, but I do have respect for the guy, and he treats his family well, all in the family except from me most of the time. During me and Applejack's first dates, Big Mac didn't approve of us going out, and he even threatened me to stay away from her or bad stuff will happen. I also strongly remember the words he said to me at me and Applejack's wedding (which is very rare of me to remember, considering I was also drunk at the time), he said and I quote,

"Do anything to hurt my sister and I'll fucking kill you"

Good thing me and AJ have been happily married for almost four years now. I don't think I've done anything to hurt my mare, we've never had an intense argument about anything before, we've never fought about anything, we've pretty been going smooth since our first dates seven years ago. With that said, I've been safe from Big MacIntosh's threats, and now I might have his respect, but I'm still not sure about that.

I continued to walk down the path with Winona until I heard a stallion's voice call my name from behind me,

"Caramel! Yo, Caramel!"

I turned around to check who it was, it was a grey stallion about my build and height, with a cutie mark of three four-leafed clovers. Holy shit, it was my best friend, Lucky Clover,

"Lucky! Holy shit, I've haven't you since Toffee's birth" I greeted him.

"Dude, how have you been?" He asked me.

"I've been fine, man" I replied. "What about yourself?"

"I've been great, pal" He told me.

Lucky raised his left hoof and pointed it in front of me, expecting a hoofbump. So I raised my right hoof, which was my only free hoof, as my left hoof was holding Winona's leash and I gently bumped my right hoof against Lucky's,

"Where you headed with your dog?" Lucky asked me.

"No, we're just walking around, I'm probably gonna head back home in about half an hour" I told him.

"Cool, Caramel. I was on my way to get a coffee, wanna come with?" He asked.

"Sure thing, thanks for the offer" I said.

"Hey, anything for my best bud" He replied.


Me and Lucky were now at the Cafe, we were at the one me and Lucky used to work at, Mocha la Coca, we were sitting outside, obviously due to my dog not allowed in the Cafe, so I tied Winona's leash to the chair I was sitting on, and Lucky had just came back with the coffee, he got a latte for himself and got me something new and fancy called the "Stark Suis",

"So 'Mel, how's the family been, pal?" Lucky asked me.

"They've all been fine, Applejack has been good, Applebloom's been fine.." I was telling him.

"How's your daughter been?" He interrupted.

"Oh god, man. She's been wonderful, it's brilliant having a kid now, y'know?" I said to him.

"I wouldn't know, man. I ain't got a kid yet" He replied.

"Fair point" I said as I shrugged and took a sip of my Stark Suis.

As soon as the Stark Suis touched my taste buds, it was possible the most powerful non-alcoholic drink I've ever heard in my life, it was like rum but without any alcohol, it burned right though me, and gave a strong kick of adrenaline,

"WOO! Oh my gosh, this is strong as hell" I told him.

"I knew you'd like it" He said.

"Dude, you do know I like creamy coffee? This shit is much more up Applejack's turf, you know?" I asked.

"Yeah, but I knew you like strong, powerful drinks, and this a strong and powerful drink" He told me.

"True. It may not be Granny Smith's special apple moonshine, but it's something" I chuckled.

"You never let down your spirit, do you 'Mel?" Lucky asked me.

"I guess I don't, Lucky" I replied.

I looked around me to check if there was anypony else at the other tables, but no, it was just me and Lucky,

I sighed and took a breath, "There has been something bothering me for the past nine months"

"What is it, dude?" Lucky asked.

"Please promise me you won't tell anypony?" I pleaded.

"In the words of Pinkie. Cross my heart, hope to fly and stick a cupcake in my eye" He promised as he made the gestures that go along with the promise.

"OK, here goes, during the months leading up to Toffee's birth, I've been scared, I've been scared of raising a child" I told him.

"Caramel, why are you scared of raising a kid?" Lucky replied and asked.

"I'm worried I might end up like my parents" I replied.

Lucky sighed, "Dude, you do know that is stupid what you just said there, right?" He asked me.

"No, I didn't know" I replied.

"Listen, I've known you as long as I can remember, we grew on the same shitty streets of Manehattan together, I know your parents, they treated you like shit, they were assholes" He told me.

This is true, me and Lucky grew up together in Manehattan, I lived with my awful parents, he lived in an orphanage, we attended the same school, dropped out the same college, he's pretty much the brother I never had,

"Man, you're the only family I have, you've taught me more things than any teacher could. When you told me you were getting married, I was extremely happy for you" He told me, "Do you remember my best man speech?"

I nodded, "Yes, I remember most of it"

"Well here's all of it and I quote.." He began, "My greatest wish for you two is that through the years your love for each other will so deepen and grow, that years from now that you will look back on this day, your wedding day, as the day you loved each other the least"

"Yeah, I remember that speech, it was a great speech, man" I complimented him.

"Do you know what I meant by 'the day you loved each other the least'?" Lucky asked me.

I opened my mouth, but no words came out, I struggled to find them, I wasn't sure what it meant,

"I meant that you and Applejack's love for each other has enlarged hugely. Your parents never understood the meaning of love, hell, I don't think they ever even heard of that word" He said.

"Right" I nodded again.

"If there is anything you've taught me, 'Mel. It is the definition of love, you've shown me that through you and Applejack. And I will damn well see that through you, Applejack and Toffee" He told me, "Caramel, just because your parents raised you badly, that don't mean you'll raise your daughter badly, you'll be a great dad, 'Mel"

"Thanks, Lucky" I said.

"Bro, it's what I'm hear to do" He said as he turned to look inside the Cafe for the time, it was 7:45am, "Oh god, I gotta go, work calls, y'know?"

"Yeah, I know" I replied.

"Catch you later, Caramel" He bid his farewell as he got off his seat and took his latte with him.

"Wait, Lucky. Before you go, do you want to come and visit Toffee at the farm, she hasn't really got a chance to meet her uncle, really" I asked him.

"Sure thing, man" He replied, "See you"

"Bye, Lucky" I bid my farewell as well.

I saw him walk away from the table and walked to the left of the Cafe over to his job, I still sat in my seat, Winona was sleeping at the side of my chair, and I still have this Stark Suis to drink, I looked around at the streets of Ponyville and they were finally starting to get a little busier, after I finish my coffee, I'm gonna head home, I have the feeling this will be a great day.