• Published 16th Dec 2013
  • 799 Views, 8 Comments

Day to Live - FALG



Rainbow Dash takes part in her first professional race, in a hell that not everyone have conquered. Against her, race the Blue Blur and F1 current champion, will she be part of those who conquered the track?

  • ...
21
 8
 799

The day she lived

"Everypony look! She's waking up!" a squeaky voice cheered.

Rainbow opened her eyes, at first she could hardly make up her friend's faces from each other. But thanks to their coats colours, she could recognize them. As she changed from a laying down position to a sitting one, her first reaction was pain. She moved her wings, only to realise they were wrapped up to prevent moving.

"What happened to my wings?" she asked with difficulty.

"The doctors said that the strength that you exerted on them worn them out," Twilight said. "Don't worry, they will be fine, so you won't be able to use them for a while."

"Aww," Rainbow pouted. "I'm still glad I can still use them, but I didn't want them to go over such a huge trouble."

"You crashed against a wall, almost killing yourself, and you worry about your wings?" Applejack asked.

"Hey my wings are my life!" she retorted, and added. "Wait, just how bad was the crash?"

"Bad enough that you were knocked out for half a week," Twilight said. "You crashed head first against that wall. And even though that it was made of wheels to absorb most of the impact, your neck got injured too."

"No wonder it hurt me to rise from the bed."

"You really worried us sweetie!" Rarity said. "You weren't responsive at all until yesterday when you managed to move a little."

"Is there another place where it hurts you?" Twilight asked.

"No, I'm fine everywhere else," the pegasus affirmed, she looked around again. "Where's Fluttershy?"

"She must be outside, the poor girl can't bear the sight of an injured friend," Rarity said. Someone at the door knocked. "Oh speaking of which, that must be her," she opened the door.

"So... who won finally?" Rainbow finally asked.

There was a brief silence as Fluttershy entered the room, and this pretty much gave the cyan pegasus the answer. Twilight decided that she'd be the one to tell her.

"I'm sorry Rainbow, but the German won."

Dash stayed still for some time, surprised, but at the same time she felt like she knew it already. She was sad, she trained hard, and Twilight busted her flank thinking of ways to win. If she had paid attention before, this wouldn't have happened. She closed her eyes as the deception fell upon her.

"I'm sorry girls, if I had paid attention, or if I kept going by the plans..."

"Dash, it's okay," Twilight reassured her laying a hoof in her shoulder. "Either way we still get the recognition I told you about. Nopony has a perfect season you know?"

"I guess not..."

"So don't worry about it, you did an awesome job. The crash doesn't count, it happened after the race finished, so don't get obsessed by it," the unicorn smiled as Rainbow slowly pulled in for a hug.

"Thanks Twi, you girls are rad."


"Um, I'm sorry, but I have some company with me, I hope nopony minds," Fluttershy mentioned after a while.

"Who's with you?" Rarity asked as she took a peek outside, and let out a silent exclamation as two other figures poke their heads out to see Rainbow.

Every other pony also felt a surprise, they never had imagined that those two people would actually come visit Rainbow. But then they thought, it wasn't really that strange either.

"Sorry, are we bargin'?" a short blue figure asked.

"Sonic? What are you doing here?" Rainbow asked "And... wait, who is he? I can't see very well yet," she looked at the human.

"We wanted to check on you. Well, actually he wanted."

"Why him specially?" Rainbow repeated, and then it hit her. "Oh my gosh, don't tell me. Are you Vettel?"

"A pleasure to meet you, miss Dash," the german said. "I brought you a gift along with my best wishes." he added as he gestured a silver wrapping in front of her eyes.

"How cliché of men, flowers. What is it that you seek?" the pegasus asked impatient.

"Rainbow! Could you show some manners?" Rarity jumped. "He's giving you a bouquet with the best intentions!"

"It is okay miss," Sebastian said "I know it can be rather strange, but I have come to ask something from her."

"I'm not going to date you." she said unamused.

"RAINBOW!" everypony yelled.

"Seriously, dude! The heck is wrong with you?" Sonic yelled "He just wants to race against you again!"

"What? Race me again?"

"Exactly," Vettel confirmed. "Let me explain, the race that we had on Nurburgring, was one of the most difficult I have ever been in. And you, miss Dash, know better than anyone the wish to find an opponent worthy of you."

Rainbow was surprised. As strange as she thought this was, it was also flattering that the man who won against her, would want a rematch. It didn't make much sense since she already lost to him, what would he gain over this?

"Ever since I became champion of the Formula 1 Series, everything turned out to be boring. There was not anyone that would prove a challenge for me," he added. "But you changed that."

She started to think he was full of himself after he mentioned the F1 fact. But she didn't say anything as she once was like him.

"So please miss Rainbow Dash. I want to race you once again, and if you wish, make this a regular rivalry," Vettel pleaded. "What do you say?"

She thought about it, it was indeed a good race. Vettel has overpassed her expectations. And as she recalled from earlier, she identified with him. Rainbow wanted a rival, but not because she'd be mad at, one that she could compete against just to prove herself. And the German was like her equal, so she made a decision:

"I'm in," she said as she extended her hoof for him to shake. "You'll realize the mistake you made after I end up defeating you," she mocked.

"I say the same to you, miss," he smirked as he released her hoof.

"Good! Everything is settled now!" Sonic cheered.

"Not quite hedgehog," Rainbow said. "I need to know who came second."

"Oh that was me, but you made a bigger impression than the two of us did," he said while raising a thumb on her.

"Great, I know I said I wanted fame, but not by finishing last," she said dissapointed.

"Do not worry. When I started on Formula 1 I did not have good results either. It is just a matter to be constant, and at the end you shall rise," Sebastian affirmed.

Everyone in the room nodded at the moment of wisdom. Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie, who was strangely absent for the liking of Rainbow, revealed a camera as she asked for the three to pose for a photo to keep. When she was asked why, she said that every new relationship must be pictured.

THE END