• Published 23rd Aug 2013
  • 747 Views, 4 Comments

Rocinante and the Return of Chivalry - Charliemane



After Discord manages to defeat Celesita's protégé and her friends in the palace gardens, both Princesses look to the Knight of the Restored Moon while the Elements of harmony rally around Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
0
 4
 747

The Lady of the Boulder

Sweetie Belle's eyes darted around the town as she led the trio in a desperate search.

“How could she have gotten lost? She goes to Sweet Apple Acres so often!”

Rocinante looked up to where Sassaflash was flying above them, scanning the area for any sign of Rarity. Applejack had been less than helpful in telling them about the situation, but both Rocinante and Sassaflash knew that there was no pony more honest than Applejack, and if she had said that she had not seen Rarity at Sweet Apple Acres, or anywhere for that matter, then it must be true.

“Take heart dear filly. For the lay of the land has been altered greatly. Perhaps the countless moving landmarks have disoriented her. However, though Lady Rarity may have lost her way, there is no reason to believe that any harm has befallen her.”

Though Sweetie Belle couldn't see her above them, Sassaflash nodded in agreement. It wasn't inconceivable that Rarity had gotten lost, but for some strange reason, she couldn't shake the feeling that Applejack had been hiding something from them.

That feeling was quickly lost when she noticed a pony carrying a large boulder in the distance. Sassaflash couldn't believe Rarity would be carrying something so heavy around while the town was in utter chaos, but there was no mistaking her vibrant mane, even if it seemed a little off color.

Sassaflash quickly dove down and landed in front of the group.

“I found her! This way!”

The sudden light that came into Sweetie Belle's eye immediately made all of the trouble of the day worthwhile to Sassaflash as the little filly bounced in the air after her at full speed.

“Rarity!”

Sweetie Belle's voice squeaked with joy as she caught site of her sister. As she raced to embrace her, Rocinante trotted up to where his cousin had landed.

“Remarkable job, my dear Sassa. Once again, through our valiant efforts, the cause of...”

Rocinante's words trailed off as he and Sassaflash both became distracted by the strange display in front of them. Though Sweetie Belle ran to her sister eagerly, Rarity positioned herself between her sister and the boulder that she had been carrying. She wore a dark, grim expression on her face and when Sweetie Belle leapt to embrace her, Rarity batted her away.

It wasn't a particularly violent display, but every time Sweetie Belle tried to approach her, Rarity forcefully pushed her back. Sassaflash and Rocinante exchanged confused glances before at last Sweetie Belle screamed at her sister with tears in her eyes.

“Rarity?! What are you doing?!”

Her voice was clearly distraught as her squeaking tone carried across the checkered ground. Seeing that something was obviously wrong, Sassaflash and her cousin quickly approached them, though before either one of them could say anything, Rarity glared furiously at them and pointed an accusing hoof.

“You! I should have known you would be behind this! You may have thought that I had let my guard down after you wounded yourself, but I'm on to your tricks! It was all a ploy to get close to me and steal Tom!”

Sassaflash stood there, her mouth agape, as Sweetie Belle pleaded with her sister.

“Rarity! Please stop!”

“You! To think that my own sister would plot behind my back! You should be ashamed of yourself, young lady!”

“Rarity!”

It seemed that Rarity didn't even notice the tears coming out of her sister's eyes as Rocinante slowly approached.

“Lady Rarity, please, be reasonable. The young-”

Rarity snorted as she first looked at Rocinante and then turned to face Sassaflash.

“So! You brought your muscle with you did you?! Well! Try it, just try it you ruffians!”

Both Rocinante and Sassaflash were so stunned by the accusations and Rarity's violent display that neither one could react before Sweetie Belle screamed at the top of her lungs and ran back into what was left of town.

“I can't believe you! I hate you!”

Still stunned by what just happened, Sassaflash looked to Sweetie Belle, then to her cousin, and lastly to Rarity. Rarity's posture hadn't changed at all as she maintained some form of fighting stance and waited for their attack.

Shaking her head in disgust, Sassaflash spread her wings and flew after Rocinante, who had already started racing after the filly. They were surprisingly fast for ponies who were stuck on the ground, still Sassaflash would have been able to keep up easily with them had it not been for a sudden storm of apple pies falling from the ground into the sky.

As each pie raced by her head, Sassaflash rolled to the right and searched for a landing spot. This “weather” was far too confusing and disorienting for her to risk flying in any longer. For a moment, she thought that she had lost both Sweetie Belle and Rocinante, but Sweetie Belle's sobs and her cousin's voice could be heard around the corner of a building that was, surprisingly, still on the ground.

“B-But why? Why would she say that?”

“There, there my dear filly. Do not be distraught. Your sister...”

Rocinante paused as he searched for words, but Sweetie Belle swiftly interrupted him.

“I hate my sister! I... I'll just leave and be gone and then that will...”

Sweetie Belle's volume dropped off as she began to choke up.

“Now now, dear Sweetie Belle, your sister is your own and there is nothing that can, nor should, ever change that. Your sister surely loves you. These are strange and confusing times indeed, I would not be surprised at all if there were some sinister being behind your sister's most unusual actions.”

Sassaflash walked around the corner as Rocinante patted Sweetie Belle on the head.

“I think he's right too, Sweetie Belle.”

Sweetie Belle looked up and the expression on her face nearly broke Sassaflash's heart as the young filly's eyes begged for any kind of explanation.

“I've known your sister for quite a while. There's no doubt she loves you. She may fuss and fidget a lot, but I've never heard her say a bad word about you to anypony.”

Sweetie Belle nodded as Sassaflash continued.

“We've all seen a lot of strange things today, To be honest, after what we've seen, I wouldn't even be surprised if that wasn't actually your sister.”

Alarmed, Rocinante looked up so fast that his helmet fell over his eyes. Lifting the helmet back into place, Rocinante scanned the area for anypony who might be listening in.

“Perhaps a doppelganger? Or some treacherous spell?”

Sweetie Belle looked at both of them. Despite how even she would have considered what they were saying to be utter nonsense, the shock of her sister's actions left her willing to believe anything.

“Who? Who would do something like this?”

As though it were waiting for that very line, the sound of a scroll hitting the ground behind them reached their ears. Rocinante looked to his cousin and then to the scroll lying on the earth.

Uncertain as to where the letter came from, Rocinante rose, leaving Sweetie Belle with Sassaflash, who embraced the confused and teary eyed filly as Rocinante read the letter. There was a terrifying silence as no pony said anything until at last Rocinante rolled the scroll back up and passed it to his squire. He closed his eyes for moment as he contemplated what the letter meant, and then, almost as quickly as he had closed them, his eyes shot open with a wild and eager look inside of them.

“I see... It would appear that at last we now have a name to go with our most treacherous and ignoble villain. Sassa! We must prepare for battle at once!”

Sassaflash looked from Sweetie Belle, who was now terrified, to her cousin, who was now invigorated by the news they had received.

“Wh-What? What is it? What did the letter say?”

“The villain of lore, the foul serpent draconequus, Discord, has escaped from his imprisonment and now rains torment and chaos upon these fair lands. No doubt, young Sweetie Belle, that this wretched creature is the source of the misery that now surrounds us and befuddles your fair sister, but fear not! For now he has aroused the anger of the very epitome of virtue and valor and by my lance, with the blessings of our magnanimous crowns, I will avenge these grievous wrongs and strike the vile creature in the name of justice!”

Sassaflash was in shock as both she and Sweetie Belle stood up.

“W-Who sent this?! Who told you this?”

“This note was penned by none other than Princess Luna herself. Her Royal Highness has noted that the Noble Princess Celestia's finest champions have engaged the enemy, however they have met with grave misfortune and now need time to recover before they may attempt a final confrontation. Her Noble Grace asks that I, Sir Rocinante of La Manecha, Knight of the Restored Moon, go forth and bar the path of evil until such a time that Her Most Royal Highness, Princess Celestia, can reorganize her champions.”

Rocinante nodded as if to confirm his own thoughts.

“Though I dare say that I shall do far better than a mere delaying action! Far better indeed! We must go into battle dear Sassa and tear the accursed foe asunder!”

Sassaflash felt her knees buckle as she reopened the scroll to read the letter herself. They had been in danger many times before and had often gone out into the world looking for trouble, but this time felt different. This time they knew who their enemy was beforehand, and that evidently he was strong enough to best Princess Celestia's champions, the Elements of Harmony.

This sudden call to battle was certainly unexpected and Sweetie Belle's suddenly resolute face surprised Sassaflash even more.

“Sir Rocinante... did... did Discord do this to Rarity?”

“I can think of no other villain whose wickedness would stretch so far.”

“Then... Then could I help you beat him?”

Rocinante smiled and motioned for her to come up to where he and Sassaflash were standing.

“Though the villain is mine to defeat alone, I would gladly accept your noble assistance in the preparation for my coming victory.”

Sassaflash stared at her cousin.

“Cousin! We cannot take her anywhere near the action! It's far too dangerous!”

Sweetie Belle's head began to drop, but Rocinante shook his head and raised hers back up.

“I will not arm the foal, but what manner of knight would I be if I were to bar the path of one who wants to avenge, nay, to save her own kin? I cannot stop one who desires justice, but fear not. Though her assistance will be of great aid to our cause, as a noncombatant she will be spared, alongside you, the gruesome risks of combat.”

Sassaflash shook her head. There would be no reasoning with the knight-errant now. The best she could do was keep Sweetie Belle as far from the actual action as she could.